test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulan's How bout some Science Commanders on my ships?

Comments

• chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    spielman1 wrote: »
    Spartan has already said that she's working on Romulan ships. And everyone was already told Romulan ships would be returning after Discovery.

Nothing personal not trying to troll or spam or anything like that, but I will believe when I see it. If it happens great but im being cautious on this and not hoping at all.

I was going to post this exact thing as well. My first main was a Romulan, because I came into the game shortly after Legacy of Romulus dropped and had an interest in Romulans as it was.

And... then not much happened. And now its several years later.

Mind you, I do believe that new Romulan content will come, just not until Picard's show starts. We know from the few info releases that the Picard show focuses heavily on his life and how the destruction of Romulus seemingly affected him. There is definitely material to play with to expand the Romulans in-game when that all comes to the screen.

But the Picard show doesn't air until the end of the year. So unless Cryptic is working behind the scenes with the show-writers to prepare content to drop in concert with the show, it probably won't be until 2020 that we see anything. But when we do see that, it'll be big.
    I should really expand on this, now that I think of it.

I get why more Romulan content wasn't made. Cryptic, along with most Romulan fans, have been waiting for something, anything since 2002's ST:Nemesis.

The 4th Kelvin movie likely would have included Romulans I'd think. Yes the first one featured Romulans, but that was really more Nero-focused than Romulan-focused.

Then Discovery came out, and unless the writers take a literal dump on continuity (right now they're locked in the bathroom but thankfully haven't done their business yet), DSC cannot feature Romulans. Sure ENT got away with it, using them with no visual contact, as TOS is confirmed as the first visual confirmation of a Romulan by Starfleet. But immediately after the ENT-era was the Earth-Romulan war, and then a period of just over 100 years of no contact until Kirk saw them. So DSC needs to really break some continuity to even make a passing reference to Romulans in the 2250s.

The Picard show will be a return to Romulan content, for sure.
  • viridian74#1359 viridian74 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    azrael605 wrote: »

"True Science ships" all have subsytem targeting and secondary deflectors, if the ship does not have those, it isn't a science ship.

That's what the Ha'Nom guardian warbird has. It's T5, though.

• majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 227 Arc User

"True Science ships" all have subsytem targeting and secondary deflectors, if the ship does not have those, it isn't a science ship.

That's what the Ha'Nom guardian warbird has. It's T5, though.

And for, what seemed like an eternity, that was all that was available until the Dysons came out. Then there was a gap until the Laeosas and multi-missions were released interspersed with cross-faction science vessels from lockboxs/holiday/anniversary events. As others have stated, Romulan players have access to a wide variety of science vessels from our allies and as @baddmoonrizin reminded us, new vessels will be coming in time. Folks just have to be patient and use what you have in the interim.
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
    chipg7 wrote: »
    I should really expand on this, now that I think of it.

I get why more Romulan content wasn't made. Cryptic, along with most Romulan fans, have been waiting for something, anything since 2002's ST:Nemesis.

The 4th Kelvin movie likely would have included Romulans I'd think. Yes the first one featured Romulans, but that was really more Nero-focused than Romulan-focused.

Then Discovery came out, and unless the writers take a literal dump on continuity (right now they're locked in the bathroom but thankfully haven't done their business yet), DSC cannot feature Romulans. Sure ENT got away with it, using them with no visual contact, as TOS is confirmed as the first visual confirmation of a Romulan by Starfleet. But immediately after the ENT-era was the Earth-Romulan war, and then a period of just over 100 years of no contact until Kirk saw them. So DSC needs to really break some continuity to even make a passing reference to Romulans in the 2250s.

The Picard show will be a return to Romulan content, for sure.

Thing is there is still a lot of content with out it being in the shows or movies from official novels, here is the difference,

Canon series Star Trek canon includes all franchises that have appeared in film and on television.

TOS novels
    TNG novels
    DS9 novels
    VOY novels
    ENT novels
    DSC novels

Licensed series Star Trek Novels, Games, or series made with permission from CBS or Paramount (is considered canon)

Star Trek: New Frontier
    Star Trek: Stargazer
    Star Trek: IKS Gorkon
    Star Trek: Starfleet Corps of Engineers
    Star Trek: The Lost Era
    Star Trek: Titan
    Star Trek: Vanguard
    Star Trek Online, the game you currently play.

So there is still a lot of content to make Romulans on ship wise Titan involves Riker and the Romulan's heavily so does TLE so does Titan, thing is they wont try or even attempt to get permission to use the material ship wise.

Oh yeah for sure, there's a ton of extra stuff to pull from. I mean even looking at Romulans in-game now, the majority of their culture is from the Rihannsu novels.

It's just that the on-screen stuff is more recognizable, and thus sells better. So my assumption for a serious lack of content is based on on-screen absence.

But for sure, you're right. Novels in particular are big. Even on the Fed side, the very existence of the Vesta-class is from the books.
    edited March 2019
    They can't get the stuff from novels or games, period. It will never happen. There is no way for it to happen.

They can, and they have. Again, the Romulans in the game pull heavily from the Rihannsu novels, and Cryptic specifically bought the Vesta from its novel series.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Canon_in_Star_Trek_Online#Soft-Canon
    Dude, relax.

Some people, myself included, like some of the soft canon. STO itself is soft canon. It's not a big deal, it doesn't hurt any actual on-screen canon.

Either way, it's been done, and it's possible to do again if the opportunity arises.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    First, again, new Romulan ships are in the works. Spartan has been working on them. Their release will not likely happen until after Part 3 of Discovery drops.

Second, while new Romulan, Klingon, and even Dominion ships will be coming, don't expect that to happen at the expense of not also doing Federation ships. Everyone knows that FED ships are always going to developed no matter what.

Third, the inclusion of ship designs from other properties (games, novels, etc.) or fan-made designs is an FCT topic and it's not happening.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    It was a legal PITA to get the rights to use the Vesta from the guy who made it for the books. And that's ontop of asking CBS for access to the design as it was accepted into canon, but has only appeared in books. Its probably a similar case for making a T6 Luna class.

Stuff from other games cannot be used because those designs, like for example the Romulan Winged Defender or the Federation Proxima class, are owned by the respective companies that put out those games. Too much of a hassel to try and negotiate with most of them. So it won't happen.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jagdtier44jagdtier44 Member Posts: 376 Arc User
    Spartan has already said that she's working on Romulan ships. And everyone was already told Romulan ships would be returning after Discovery.

Nothing personal not trying to troll or spam or anything like that, but I will believe when I see it. If it happens great but im being cautious on this and not hoping at all.

Soon™
  • mopic312mopic312 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Mr. @spielman1, you sound angry for some reason? We, as well as yourself would just like to see more love given to the Romulans it was just a comment nothing more, the fact they are looking/working on something is find by me., Nothing to become angry over.
    @baddmoonrizin I dunno about you, but it might be time to lock this thread. This looks like it's becoming too personal for some folks.
  • mopic312mopic312 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    OK Mr. @spielman1, I'm with you believe it when I see it..:)....
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @azrael605 said:
    >Second, name one thing that was promised and never happened. I have been here since the F2P launch and I can't think of one. There are things they have said they would like to do that didn't happen, but they weren't promises in any way.

T'Ress Maintenance Doff for Romulans during the Junior Officer Appreciation Weekend Event that should have been obtainable from
    Commander Rojal at New Romulus Command.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    I still have that mission queued up on some of my ROMs from that time. :unamused:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.