What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Borg VS the Galatic Empire who would Win and Way

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I said that it was my OPINION.

I didn't say your opinion was wrong. I merely pointed out you'd misspelt a word.​​

And it is your opinion that the Starkiller Base is awesome and Rattler's opinion is that it is one of the dumbest ideas ever. Saying that Rattler misspelt a word clearly means that you are rejecting their opinion.
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    The Borg

Your opinion minus 3.14 is just an onion.

So is that for everyone's opinion or just Rattler's?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Ok... seriously... am I NOT allowed to have an opinion?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    The Borg
    starkaos wrote: »

No, it's everyone's.

Sure, as long as you don't subtract 3.14 from it. That's only allowed in the kitchen.
    starkaos wrote: »

No, it's everyone's.

It is pretty funny. So would pie - 3.14 = e?
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    How much fun would it be to learn that there was more than a single Collective or Hive, if you prefer? This would allow a more diverse Borg threat as the varied Hives could be shown to adapt, or "evolve," in assorted directions.

I think that would make the Borg a far more interesting threat over all.

The problem is the Collective nature of the Borg. It really only allows for basically one overriding network. We've seen how the Queen deals with threats to the Collective with the whole "Unimatrix 0" thing. Even if one drone was detected on a whole cube, she'd destroy the cube to remove that one drone.

The closest we have is the Cooperative, which is made up of Liberated Borg. They may have some form of Collective hive mind, but its not the overpowering "your soul is mine" type that the Collective has.

The closest to what you describe in any franchise might be the post Overmind death Zerg Swarm in StarCraft. Cerebrates had more freedom to evolve their respective Broods, although still answered directly to the Queen of Blades once she fully established herself. After deinfestation at the hands of Raynor, the various Broods had even more freedom to evolve on their own. While some did fall under the sway of Amon, others did side with Kerrigan when she reclaimed her position as the Primal Queen of Blades.

Generally I'd say you are correct.

However, once members of many Federation species have been assimilated ,assuming they truly believe that the Federations strength is derived from it's many parts, that concept could very well infiltrate the Borg Collective and express itself in the manner I describe. In this way it would satisfy both the diversity angle and collective angle.

I'm not treating it as absolute, though. It's more a thought experiment for the purpose of making the Borg both dangerous and relevant again.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    there's a massive problem with that theory, however - quite a few federation species have ALREADY been assimilated in numbers - the borg are still as monolithic as they've always been​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    there's a massive problem with that theory, however - quite a few federation species have ALREADY been assimilated in numbers - the borg are still as monolithic as they've always been​​

So it took some time. It could take time for the concept to assimilate and then some more time to implement. Meanwhile the Borg conduct business as usual so to all outward appearances nothing is up. That could take a couple of decades or so.

Then, when they burst on the scene again, we find that there are several kettles of fish with which to deal. Especially if as a result of the new Borg Diversity Training they are able to assimilate Undine, Heralds, Tholians, etc... without much effort.

Plus, just to emphasize how monstrous these new Borg are, have their new invasion start from the Gamma Quadrant. Why? Because we'll be expecting them from the Delta Quadrant and they know that.

Just some ideas, but we should probably not stray to far from the topic of this thread.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I dunno, one species with inconsistent abiltiies against another galactic nation with inconistent abilities...
    I'd say it's up to the writer.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

Who said that?

I mean, obviously you just did, but I was wondering if anybody else had?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    I'm aware that the 3.14 thing was a joke, but earlier it felt like I was not allowed to express my opinion on Starkiller Base. The timing of the joke could have been better honestly.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Actually Rattler the Borg do experiment. See The Omega Directive, Seven talked about how the Borg have experimented witb creating and stabilizing Omega, noting that one failed attempt destroyed millions of drones. To be fair though in other areas they just ignore assimilated tech that they should use of course, like Magnus Hansen's personal "Borg cloak" that should have been detected instantly when Janeway's crew used it as he was assimilated the same day as his daughter.

Its possible the Borg didn't see it as useful to them. That's the other thing about them. They focus on certain technologies while ignoring others. They have no need for stealth, so we don't see Borg with cloaks, and we all know they've assimilated ships that have cloaks. Stealth detection would be useful, but the fact that the Borg didn't bother with it seems to indicate a bit of arrogance on the part of the Borg or something along those lines. "Why bother when our sensors are already so advanced?"

As for Omega... its the closest thing the Borg have to a religion. To them, Omega represents Perfection.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The Borg
    Actually Rattler the Borg do experiment. See The Omega Directive, Seven talked about how the Borg have experimented witb creating and stabilizing Omega, noting that one failed attempt destroyed millions of drones. To be fair though in other areas they just ignore assimilated tech that they should use of course, like Magnus Hansen's personal "Borg cloak" that should have been detected instantly when Janeway's crew used it as he was assimilated the same day as his daughter.
    Its possible the Borg didn't see it as useful to them. That's the other thing about them. They focus on certain technologies while ignoring others. They have no need for stealth, so we don't see Borg with cloaks, and we all know they've assimilated ships that have cloaks. Stealth detection would be useful, but the fact that the Borg didn't bother with it seems to indicate a bit of arrogance on the part of the Borg or something along those lines. "Why bother when our sensors are already so advanced?"

As for Omega... its the closest thing the Borg have to a religion. To them, Omega represents Perfection.
    Well the Borg have two competing ideologies to balance. Most other races don't have this problem because they don't need to make this choice. That being a choice between efficient tech and the best available. The Borg use designs that are weird because they're multi-purpose in ways that most races never even thought of. But, this means the Borg CAN'T use all of the most powerful stuff they have all the time. It's why adaptation isn't permanent. Adaptation requires them to reconfigure to a state that's NOT optimal except for defending against a certain attack. After combat is over they reset. The Borg simply have so many options that it's impossible to actually use them all.
    I would say the Borg. Mainly because the Empire's only defense vs Assimilation is the nuclear approach and I don't think that would work consistently enough. That and imagine if the Borg made landfall someplace like Coruscant? The Empire's only option would be to use a Death Star. Not necessarily full-power, but enough to blow city sized holes in the planet.

But, assimilation isn't really all that fast, and the Borg would need to figure out how to assimilate all the races they've not seen before. Granted, in most cases it'd not take that long, but there's dozens to figure out.

I don't see it as a given that a lone drone could assimilate the entire Empire, but it's possible. The reverse isn't true. Thus the Borg are a greater threat to the Empire, than the Empire are to the Borg.
    One hyperspace superlaser, split the beam to each Unimatrix, all whilst hidden at the other end of the Galaxy. Problem solved.

Follow it up with a DBZ to any worlds with Borg left on them.​​
    Not a realistic scenario. This sort of decapitation strike requires the Empire to know the location of all of the Borg they wish to target. Not realistic because the Imperials just aren't that good at scouting. It also requires the Borg to NOT know the location of Starkiller base. I doubt the Imperials would be able to fire it if it was under attack.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    I would say the Borg. Mainly because the Empire's only defense vs Assimilation is the nuclear approach and I don't think that would work consistently enough. That and imagine if the Borg made landfall someplace like Coruscant? The Empire's only option would be to use a Death Star. Not necessarily full-power, but enough to blow city sized holes in the planet.

But, assimilation isn't really all that fast, and the Borg would need to figure out how to assimilate all the races they've not seen before. Granted, in most cases it'd not take that long, but there's dozens to figure out.

I don't see it as a given that a lone drone could assimilate the entire Empire, but it's possible. The reverse isn't true. Thus the Borg are a greater threat to the Empire, than the Empire are to the Borg.
    One hyperspace superlaser, split the beam to each Unimatrix, all whilst hidden at the other end of the Galaxy. Problem solved.

Not a realistic scenario. This sort of decapitation strike requires the Empire to know the location of all of the Borg they wish to target. Not realistic because the Imperials just aren't that good at scouting. It also requires the Borg to NOT know the location of Starkiller base. I doubt the Imperials would be able to fire it if it was under attack.

It would be interesting if the Borg has some cloaked bases for such a scenario.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

Well the Borg have two competing ideologies to balance. Most other races don't have this problem because they don't need to make this choice. That being a choice between efficient tech and the best available. The Borg use designs that are weird because they're multi-purpose in ways that most races never even thought of. But, this means the Borg CAN'T use all of the most powerful stuff they have all the time. It's why adaptation isn't permanent. Adaptation requires them to reconfigure to a state that's NOT optimal except for defending against a certain attack. After combat is over they reset. The Borg simply have so many options that it's impossible to actually use them all.

Are the Unicomplexs hidden? If not then the Empire knows where they are.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Assuming there are any in the Star Wars galaxy. Could be Transwarp Gates instead.
    edited March 2019
    the starkiller beam travels through sub-hyperspace...whatever the fork that is...which if it's anywhere NEAR as fast as regular hyperspace means the empire doesn't need to hit the borg beachheads in the galaxy - they can just obliterate the borg at the source in the milky way​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • ryurangerryuranger Member Posts: 520 Arc User
    The Borg

I find it very hard to read what you post when you capitalise every other work and don't use sentences.

Going by the gist of what you're saying, you're wrong. SW is massivly more advanced than the majority of ST races (including the Borg). SW are up to the stage where a small remnant of the Empire has converted a planet to a battlestation that uses stars as fuel and can fire on multiple targets through hyperspace and destroy them.

Also, in TCW you see Anakin pilot a small ship about as wide as a runabout and as long as four runabouts that has a cloaking device so Needa or Piett (or whoever it was) was wrong about the size of ship that can be equipped with a cloaking device.

Transporters are so easily countered in Trek depending on the plot that, again, depending on the plot of this vs battle the Empire could also interfere with.​​
    You are SO SO Wrong about the Transporters and the Shields. The one thing that Both the Federation has and the Borg have Special Shield Frequency Witch can Block Transporters, and the Borg a known to Brake the Shields frequency from time to time. The Shields for let say Imperial-class Star Destroyer there shield generator are on the bridge and they are many for blaster fire and Torpedoes fire if you remember in Empire Strikes Back that several Imperial-class got blown up because of asteroids while federation shields and Borg Shields actually deflects them its not perfect but it stronger then what Imperial-class have
    [url="http://"]https://www.quora.com/Why-dont-the-spaceships-in-Star-Trek-collide-with-any-rocks-or-planets-while-they-are-traveling-at-warp-speed[/url]
    May the Shwartz Be With You
    CWpA7_1VAAA7vBh.jpg
    Also Star Wars shields come in two flavors, Ray and Particle. Ray Shields protect against blaster while Particle protects against things like warheads.

Neither of which are set up to block transporters.
    Also Star Wars shields come in two flavors, Ray and Particle. Ray Shields protect against blaster while Particle protects against things like warheads.

Neither of which are set up to block transporters.

It depends on how Star Wars' shields work. Transporters work by sending an energy pattern to a specific location. So if the shields blocks any portion of the Transporter signal, then Star Wars' shields blocks transporters.
    There isn't any kind of technology similar to transporters in Star Wars. If somehow Star Wars shields can block a Transporter, it would be by sheer accident because they've never seen the technology, thus would have no reason to develop a countermeasure against said technology.

Also... there are canon instances of Transporters going straight through shields as well. Dominion transporters early on weren't even phased by Federation shields, allowing Jem'Hadar to board DS9 right through the shields.
    probably the same techbase their phased polaron weapons operated on...you notice they weren't doing any beaming during call to arms along with no direct hull damage​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    The Borg
    the starkiller beam travels through sub-hyperspace...whatever the fork that is...which if it's anywhere NEAR as fast as regular hyperspace means the empire doesn't need to hit the borg beachheads in the galaxy - they can just obliterate the borg at the source in the milky way​​
    I still have to contend that's only true if they can SEE them. The First Order needed to know the exact location of any target they fired it at. Guessing wasn't good enough. Also they didn't have the ability to do long-range scans detailed enough to pick out targets from lightyears away. I mean, it's a repeating major plot point that finding stuff is hard.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg