test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Major Mine launcher bug, zero damage after 5+ minutes due to despawn bug

pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
edited March 2019 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
This problem seems to be worse when you have the same type of mine fitted. It happens with all mines but to demonstrate it I had x3 Bio-Molecular mines with x3 radius mods as I wanted to test the difference with +1km extra explosion radius v the drop in raw damage per hit against a Quantum mine. The problem I ran into is when parked at 7.25km away I was far enough away so the NPC’s would not gain aggro and attack me and near enough that my mines would track and hit the NPC’s. (I have double tracking range trait with x3 mine doff mine launcher recharge and 20% mine recharge from Ordnance)

What happens is the mines start traveling to the NPC’s but the nearest mines to the NPC disappear before they hit. With auto fire this leaves a chain reaction of mines dropping, moving and disappearing and after 5+ minuets of constant firing getting zero hits. I can drop 100 mines and not one single one will hit the NPC’s as they disappear before they move half the distance needed.

You don’t need enemy’s to test this. Just park in an area that allows mines and set auto fire. After a short while each new volley will cause an older volley to despawrn.

If you mix mine types you seem to get away with more mines in space before the despawn bug hits. But it does mean you cannot focus on having just one type of mine.

What’s really bad about this is fitting more mine weapons lowers your damage output. In the above situation 2 mine launchers will do more damage than 3 launchers. Four or five launchers will do almost zero damage due to the chain reaction of mine disappearing.

If needed I can make a video showing constant mines being dropped and with 100% of mines disappearing without hitting.

EDIT: Video added: https://youtu.be/DT-FbsTPU2M
Post edited by pottsey5g on

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I don't know about anyone else, but "I" would like to see that video. 100% disappearing? Insane!

Does location the mine is fitted into (aft or fore weapons slots) make a difference?

Is this a problem with mines only? Or is torpedoes doing the same thing?
    Luckily for me, I only carry one mine in my BoP...having a fun time with watching Nakura Web Mines.

Let me show this to Frtoaster....see if he remembers something about this happening before.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    where2r1 wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else, but "I" would like to see that video. 100% disappearing? Insane!

Does location the mine is fitted into (aft or fore weapons slots) make a difference?

Is this a problem with mines only? Or is torpedoes doing the same thing?
    Luckily for me, I only carry one mine in my BoP...having a fun time with watching Nakura Web Mines.

Let me show this to Frtoaster....see if he remembers something about this happening before.
    It’s been a long term problem but I didn’t realize how bad it was until I was trying to compare Photons to Quantums. Quantum mines travel faster so I hadn’t noticed how bad it was with other mines as I tend to use Quantums.

It is a Mine only problem as there is a limit of how many mines you can have in space. It’s not a problem with single launchers but once you have 3 launchers without recharge boosts or 2 fast launchers with boosts you hit the limit and older mines disappear before hitting the target as new mines are dropped.

The limit seems to be separate for different mines types. So by mixing launchers you can have more mines in space before hitting the limit. With Quantums you can fit 5 different types of Quantums which combined with a faster base movement speeds means its not to bad. But swap to 3 photons of the same type like x3 Bio-Molecular mines and I couldn’t hit anything in 5 mins.

I will get a video uploaded but it might not be tonight.
    Well, I was thinking it was an animation/graphics thing.....but zero damage says otherwise.

As you have the time...it is just curiosity for me.
    But who knows what happens if maybe a Dev sees it.....

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User

Sorry, no, I've never heard of this one before.

pottsey5g wrote: »
    What happens is the mines start traveling to the NPC’s but the nearest mines to the NPC disappear before they hit. With auto fire this leaves a chain reaction of mines dropping, moving and disappearing and after 5+ minuets of constant firing getting zero hits. I can drop 100 mines and not one single one will hit the NPC’s as they disappear before they move half the distance needed.

You don’t need enemy’s to test this. Just park in an area that allows mines and set auto fire. After a short while each new volley will cause an older volley to despawrn.

Just to be clear, you're saying that a hidden cap on the number of mines is causing your mines to despawn, as the new mines to override the old mines. If you don't launch enough mines to reach the cap, then the mines correctly hit the NPCs, correct? I assume you are using attack patterns to reach the cap. You may want to specify which ones, in case a dev reads this.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    you could have 2 minefields per launcher active, i guess just 2 even if you use the same one like 2 photon mine launcher.
    so you are some kind of forced to use different types or some special launchers

might this be the issue?
    edited March 2019
    frtoaster wrote: »

Sorry, no, I've never heard of this one before.

pottsey5g wrote: »

Just to be clear, you're saying that a hidden cap on the number of mines is causing your mines to despawn, as the new mines to override the old mines. If you don't launch enough mines to reach the cap, then the mines correctly hit the NPCs, correct? I assume you are using attack patterns to reach the cap. You may want to specify which ones, in case a dev reads this.
    That is correct with 1 launcher I do not hit the cap and the mines correctly work. The problem affects all mines but the cap doesn't seem to be consistent between mine types. Attack patterns seem to be separate from the cap and do not count towards it although two patterns of the same type override each other but one of each type works. I can use a beta and alpha at the same time. But not two alpha's or two betas.

I have not fully worked out how it works. Modulating Competition mine, Thoron Infused, Crafted PEN Quantum are all quantum but all appear to have there own cap so I end up with around 5 or 6 waves of mines which combined with the faster mine travel speed is useable. While 3 plasma of the same type or 3 photon of the same type seems to share the same cap so I end up with 4 waves of mines which combined with the slower travel speed makes the mines unusable as they often cannot hit the target within aprox 4 seconds before they disappear.

The problem is with just 3 launchers I am putting out a mine wave approx every second so every 4 to 6 seconds I am causing mines to disappear. It also means using 4 or 5 rear launchers causes us to do less damage due to the consent stream of disappearing mines. I will try and post a video tonight.

Its a major bug but I never noticed it before as Quantum although suffering from the bug are useable. It was only when I used the Quantum build but tried different mine types that I ran into this problem.

edited March 2019
    @where2r1 here you go. Not the best video just a quick example.

https://youtu.be/DT-FbsTPU2M

While my ship looks cloaked it’s not a real cloak. Hidden payload is part of the mine set that gives a stealth bonus based on speed. Slower speed means higher stealth. In the video I am running approximately 5000 stealth which is why the NPC is not moving towards me.

I didn't see much point testing at 9km as its clearly not working at 7km. This does make me wonder how you are meant to use 4 or 5 mine launchers on the Vorgon Ytijara Dreadnought Cruiser. Even with the speed boost at range mines disappear to fast to use.
    I will look at the video tomorrow on my big computer. My Kindle has very high definition screen but it is small. Great for reading but not for looking at details in a video with lots of stuff going on. At least for my eyes. LOL!

• feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    @pottsey5g
    you should try it with 3 different minelaunchers, that should work way better, because its the if i saw it correctly 3 minefields from the same type at the same time as a max
    edited March 2019
    felisean wrote: »
    @pottsey5g
    you should try it with 3 different minelaunchers, that should work way better, because its the if i saw it correctly 3 minefields from the same type at the same time as a max
    My normal setup is Quantum Modulating Competition mine, Quantum Thoron Infused & Crafted Quantum with PEN for some reason although all Quantum they all count as different. I tried doing the same trick with plasma but for some reason that did not count.

Its a shame Bio-Molecular mines do not work as those are the only mines which can have radius mod for the larger explosion radius. Even if they did get fixed, I am not sure 1km extra explosion radius makes up for 4k less damage per hit.