test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mirror or Terran

wmthoram#7588 wmthoram Member Posts: 45 Arc User
I'm considering making a new character. But I want to make it from the mirror universe. But what's the correct way to name a character from the mirror universe . For example: James (Mirror) or James (Terran). Which is the more correct usage?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Terran is human-only. Also, it refers to the species, and it's not necessarily from the Mirror universe as other species call humans or things related to earth "terran". However, even in the various series, it usually implies a Mirror Universe origin.

Mirror pretty much means they're from the Mirror Universe, no matter the species, and it implies there exists a Prime Universe version somewhere.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • wmthoram#7588 wmthoram Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Thanks
    If you could offer advice on my ship post it would be much appreciated.
  • ioneonioneon Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    People in the Terran Empire are not all human, just mostly human. Mirror Spock was in the Terran Empire, as was mirror T'Pol and Phlox. In game mirror Leeta is a Bajoran, and she's the main 25th century Terran Empire protagonist. So Terrans, as a species are human, but the Terran Empire is no stranger to having loyal non-humans rise through the ranks.

So I guess to answer the OP's question, I would put "Terran" if they're in the Terran Empire, Otherwise I'd put "Mirror".
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Booty shorts, bare midriffs, short skirts, a gold sash possibly, maybe some daggers here and there. BAM! Terran Empire!
    ioneon wrote: »
    People in the Terran Empire are not all human, just mostly human. Mirror Spock was in the Terran Empire, as was mirror T'Pol and Phlox. In game mirror Leeta is a Bajoran, and she's the main 25th century Terran Empire protagonist. So Terrans, as a species are human, but the Terran Empire is no stranger to having loyal non-humans rise through the ranks.

So I guess to answer the OP's question, I would put "Terran" if they're in the Terran Empire, Otherwise I'd put "Mirror".

Discovery-era Terran Empire, I didn't see non-humans. Hell, they were persecuting them hardcore. But by the time we get to TOS-era, which isn't far away from Disco-era, we see a bit more diversity. Fast forward to STO's time frame of 2409-ish, it's a lot more diverse.
    XzRTofz.gif
    Discovery-era Terran Empire, I didn't see non-humans. Hell, they were persecuting them hardcore. But by the time we get to TOS-era, which isn't far away from Disco-era, we see a bit more diversity. Fast forward to STO's time frame of 2409-ish, it's a lot more diverse.

Agreed, but ENT had non-humans in the Empire, that was long before DSC. I get the feeling that there was some sort of insurrection during the reign of Empress Georgiou that momentarily saw a severe reduction of non-humans, It makes sense considering how racist AF she was. lol
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator

Agreed, but ENT had non-humans in the Empire, that was long before DSC. I get the feeling that there was some sort of insurrection during the reign of Empress Georgiou that momentarily saw a severe reduction of non-humans, It makes sense considering how racist AF she was. lol

The elimination of non-humans could have started under the rule of Empress Hoshi Sato. Empress Georgiou could even be a direct descendent of Sato. After Georgiou's "death"/disappearance, someone more tolerant may have taken over. Possibly in a bid to fracture the rebellion by enticing back races, like the Vulcans, against the Klingons, who would eventually ally with the Cardassians.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Interesting insight into Empress Georgiou's name / title. It partially explains her relationship with Empress Sato.

https://indiewire.com/2018/01/star-trek-discovery-emperor-georgiou-roman-name-hoshi-sato-1201921344/
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Booty shorts, bare midriffs, short skirts, a gold sash possibly, maybe some daggers here and there. BAM! Terran Empire!

Don't forget the evil goatee.
    duasyn wrote: »

Don't forget the evil goatee.

The Goatee would be an odd choice given the attire listed, but who am I to judge?
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @baddmoonrizin said:
    > ioneon wrote: »
    >
    > warmaker001b wrote: »
    >
    > Discovery-era Terran Empire, I didn't see non-humans. Hell, they were persecuting them hardcore. But by the time we get to TOS-era, which isn't far away from Disco-era, we see a bit more diversity. Fast forward to STO's time frame of 2409-ish, it's a lot more diverse.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Agreed, but ENT had non-humans in the Empire, that was long before DSC. I get the feeling that there was some sort of insurrection during the reign of Empress Georgiou that momentarily saw a severe reduction of non-humans, It makes sense considering how racist AF she was. lol
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The elimination of non-humans could have started under the rule of Empress Hoshi Sato. Empress Georgiou could even be a direct descendent of Sato. After Georgiou's "death"/disappearance, someone more tolerant may have taken over. Possibly in a bid to fracture the rebellion by enticing back races, like the Vulcans, against the Klingons, who would eventually ally with the Cardassians.

I admit to severe curiosity as to how exactly the son of a rebel leader became XO of a Terran ship.

I'm rather curious as to how they write themselves out of that myself. Of course, we're assuming non-humns do not serve the Terrans at this time. I suppose it's possible that a non-human purge could be more recent, or that only some non-humans broke away from the Terrans, but not before Sarek and Amanda had Spock.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    I'm glad to see so many people offering feedback on this subject. Cheers!
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User

O'Brien & Co needed aliens to help them retake DS9 and push the Klingons and Cardassians back long enough to put together a Fleet to prosecute the war to re-conquer the Empire. While the Terrans are Stupid Evil, even they would realize if they ever wanted to get back on top of the social order again they were gonna have to moderate their xenophobia a bit. The species that signed up for the Cause at the beginning would likely have gotten "honorary" Terran status under the old axiom that "A friend in need is a friend indeed". Those who didn't, or waited too long to try to cross over, got occupied and/or enslaved. I suspect either the Cardassians and/or the Klingons were outright exterminated as a object lesson to everyone else on what happens when you mess with the Terrans.

In earlier times, the Discovery era seems to be an outlier....as you said the Empire in ENT and TOS employed subject races....there may or may not be a lore reason for it.

The elimination of non-humans could have started under the rule of Empress Hoshi Sato. Empress Georgiou could even be a direct descendent of Sato. After Georgiou's "death"/disappearance, someone more tolerant may have taken over. Possibly in a bid to fracture the rebellion by enticing back races, like the Vulcans, against the Klingons, who would eventually ally with the Cardassians.

Well, the newly crowned Hoshi I would certainly have compelling reasons to crack down hard on the subject races.....the Empire was days, if not hours, from being swept away by the rebellion if Archer had not acquired the Defiant.....they were a security risk and she needed victories to make her seizure of the Throne stick. As Giorgiou is ethnic Chinese and Sato was ethnic Japanese, they probably weren't related though as the article posted above, Hoshi probably had a successful reign so her successors would be likely to imply a link to enhance their own legitimacy to rule.

Most likely the writers largely ignored the existing lore on the Mirror Universe from ENT and TOS and changed things to suit themselves...though it is also possible that the Empress just did not want aliens present in her court (except for the larder) and were still being used elsewhere in the Imperial Fleet. By the TOS era they were on first rate starships....and according to the Intendant in DS9, Spock ascended the Throne himself and somehow convinced the Empire to unilaterally disarm, only to fall prey to the Klingon-Cardassian alliance. While the timeline there is fuzzy, that's probably only 20-40 years away from the time of Season 1.

Though speaking of the Klingon-Cardassian alliance....Giorgiou had destroyed Mirror Q'onos, basically ending the Klingon's run as a Great Power. They would have been satraps of the Cardassians, not the other way around as it was in DS9.
    I admit to severe curiosity as to how exactly the son of a rebel leader became XO of a Terran ship.

There is pretty much only one way to overcome such a dangerous association and that is to completely betray his father, and the Rebel Cause, to the Empire. That's pretty much what it would take for the Terrans to even consider trusting him. much less let him live. He also would have required political skills that would have made Machiavelli weep with envy to not only get command positions in Starfleet....but actually become Emperor himself.
    edited March 2019
    I decided to go with a normal 25th century Starfleet as a Mirror character.
    Post edited by wmthoram#7588 on
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,498 Arc User

O'Brien & Co needed aliens to help them retake DS9 and push the Klingons and Cardassians back long enough to put together a Fleet to prosecute the war to re-conquer the Empire. While the Terrans are Stupid Evil, even they would realize if they ever wanted to get back on top of the social order again they were gonna have to moderate their xenophobia a bit. The species that signed up for the Cause at the beginning would likely have gotten "honorary" Terran status under the old axiom that "A friend in need is a friend indeed". Those who didn't, or waited too long to try to cross over, got occupied and/or enslaved. I suspect either the Cardassians and/or the Klingons were outright exterminated as a object lesson to everyone else on what happens when you mess with the Terrans.

In earlier times, the Discovery era seems to be an outlier....as you said the Empire in ENT and TOS employed subject races....there may or may not be a lore reason for it.

Well, the newly crowned Hoshi I would certainly have compelling reasons to crack down hard on the subject races.....the Empire was days, if not hours, from being swept away by the rebellion if Archer had not acquired the Defiant.....they were a security risk and she needed victories to make her seizure of the Throne stick. As Giorgiou is ethnic Chinese and Sato was ethnic Japanese, they probably weren't related though as the article posted above, Hoshi probably had a successful reign so her successors would be likely to imply a link to enhance their own legitimacy to rule.

Most likely the writers largely ignored the existing lore on the Mirror Universe from ENT and TOS and changed things to suit themselves...though it is also possible that the Empress just did not want aliens present in her court (except for the larder) and were still being used elsewhere in the Imperial Fleet. By the TOS era they were on first rate starships....and according to the Intendant in DS9, Spock ascended the Throne himself and somehow convinced the Empire to unilaterally disarm, only to fall prey to the Klingon-Cardassian alliance. While the timeline there is fuzzy, that's probably only 20-40 years away from the time of Season 1.

Though speaking of the Klingon-Cardassian alliance....Giorgiou had destroyed Mirror Q'onos, basically ending the Klingon's run as a Great Power. They would have been satraps of the Cardassians, not the other way around as it was in DS9.

There is pretty much only one way to overcome such a dangerous association and that is to completely betray his father, and the Rebel Cause, to the Empire. That's pretty much what it would take for the Terrans to even consider trusting him. much less let him live. He also would have required political skills that would have made Machiavelli weep with envy to not only get command positions in Starfleet....but actually become Emperor himself.

ENT (and by extension DSC) was changed significantly from the original timeline by the temporal cold war (and probably other things like ripples from the Tholian paradox).

In TOS, "Mirror, Mirror" showed that the mirror universe was set up EXACTLY like the prime universe, right down to where who was on which ship and where those ships were and their missions. Aliens in the Empire apparently had the same status and function they had in the prime universe, only with a dark twist (like the Vulcans were coldly logical schemers instead of pacifistic academics). They were in total existential lockstep with each other, and in fact the writer used the old fantasy universal balance trope of you can only cross between if someone on the other side (usually your counterpart) crosses at the same time.

DS9 was already starting to drift out of synch (presumably from mirror Spock's actions and the original crossing somehow loosening the lockstep). And since Paramount seemed to be often confused by the difference between a prequel and a sequel the mirror ENT stuff took the DS9 mirror as their model instead of the original TOS one. In ENT the prejudice and oppression against aliens seen in DSC was already in full swing though not quite as extreme (which made very little sense since the Terrans would have been too weak to conquer the Vulcans let alone everyone else and there was no time for the Terrans to have clawed their way up to the top of the ladder of an existing empire).

So I made a discovery character. I had to name her Empress though. The bloody system wouldn't let me put (Mirror) because of the (). Which is dumb. Kind of lame that the emperor's sword doesn't show strapped to your side when it's equipped. Hope they fix that.
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @somtaawkhar said:
    > phoenixc#0738 wrote: »
    >
    > ENT (and by extension DSC) was changed significantly from the original timeline by the temporal cold war (and probably other things like ripples from the Tholian paradox).
    >
    >
    >
    > There is no evidence of this. Both ENT and DSC lead directly into TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY
    >
    > Nothing was changed.

Mirror Universe in ENT (pre-Defiant), TOS, and DS9 were equivalent to ours. So was Discovery, though due to events in ENT it should be far more advanced. That can only be due to either bad writing or Discovery not being in the same timeline as all other Trek series. Perhaps the time stream was changed by Defiant and Discovery is the new normal.
  • detheaterdetheater Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    As far as Spock goes, I just assume that Amanda is just as blood thirsty as most Terrans and once her husband betrayed the empire (or maybe before and that's why he betrayed the empire), she took Spock and went back to Earth where he joined Imperial Starfleet.
This discussion has been closed.