marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
edited March 2019 in Ten Forward
Seriously, there is no heterosexual explanation for this:

https://youtu.be/Fw11Ak0mxyI

Comments

• lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    It's a woman giving the massage.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Trivia moment: Early Star Trek fanfics, frequently published in mimeographed (ask your parents, kids) amateur magazines, or "zines", not infrequently featured a romantic relationship between Kirk and Spock. These became known as "K/S fics", pronounced "kay slash ess". This is the origin of the modern fanfic term "slashfic".
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »

I think the point is that Kirk clearly believes it is Spock doing it, then gets uncomfortable when he realizes it's actually the female crewman. t's clear to me that his discomfort is likely due to the interaction being inappropriate since he's her commanding officer, but it's still amusing to look at it in this light as well.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    Also probably a small amount of embarrassment for the mistaken identity?
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »

I think the point is that Kirk clearly believes it is Spock doing it, then gets uncomfortable when he realizes it's actually the female crewman. t's clear to me that his discomfort is likely due to the interaction being inappropriate since he's her commanding officer, but it's still amusing to look at it in this light as well.
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Also probably a small amount of embarrassment for the mistaken identity?

Both of you are quite correct. Those who imagined other "things" going on between these two iconic characters simply to suit themselves were always wrong.

• brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    At one point, I forget which episode, but in reference to Yoeman Rand Kirk comments on the idiots at Starfleet HQ who gave him a female yoeman. I interpreted that remark as 'dangling temptation' as opposed to heterophobia. As captain, an intimate relationship with a crewman or junior officer would be inappropriate, and Kirk had an eye for the ladies. For him it must have been torture to have such an attractive yoeman hanging around, but always just out of reach.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    At one point, I forget which episode, but in reference to Yoeman Rand Kirk comments on the idiots at Starfleet HQ who gave him a female yoeman.
    I think that was in "The Man Trap", the second episode. I'm rewatching the ep right now to see, and enjoying the fact that "Nancy Crater", whose appearance is an illusion, is played by three different women in the opening scene ("Nancy" as seen by her ex-boyfriend McCoy, as seen by Kirk, and as seen by the young ensign accompanying them).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    At one point, I forget which episode, but in reference to Yoeman Rand Kirk comments on the idiots at Starfleet HQ who gave him a female yoeman. I interpreted that remark as 'dangling temptation' as opposed to heterophobia. As captain, an intimate relationship with a crewman or junior officer would be inappropriate, and Kirk had an eye for the ladies. For him it must have been torture to have such an attractive yoeman hanging around, but always just out of reach.

There's no question: Kirk admits as much in The Naked Time.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @captainwells said:
    > evilmark444 wrote: »
    >
    > lordgyor wrote: »
    >
    > It's a woman giving the massage.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think the point is that Kirk clearly believes it is Spock doing it, then gets uncomfortable when he realizes it's actually the female crewman. t's clear to me that his discomfort is likely due to the interaction being inappropriate since he's her commanding officer, but it's still amusing to look at it in this light as well.
    >
    >
    >
    > ryan218 wrote: »
    >
    > Also probably a small amount of embarrassment for the mistaken identity?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Both of you are quite correct. Those who imagined other "things" going on between these two iconic characters simply to suit themselves were always wrong.

Let people have their fun.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    I laughed, I admit it.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/