test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dipping my toes in the water...

arod7932arod7932 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
Hello everyone.

I am a long time veteran Neverwinter player and am interested in seeing what Star Trek Online has to offer. However, I was hoping some of you could inform me just a little bit about where the game's been, where it is, and where you think it's going. Comparisons to Neverwinter will help me understand much better, as I've gathered that Cryptic has a certain formula when it comes to MMOs. I'm just looking for a brief overview so I can know if the game would be worth investing my time into at this stage. I'd be playing on Xbox, and have had very little exposure to the Star Trek franchise, if that carries any weight. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    arod7932arod7932 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Funny, nerdSlayer just uploaded a Death of a Game episode on STO. All my questions have been answered now.
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    arod7932 wrote: »
    Funny, nerdSlayer just uploaded a Death of a Game episode on STO. All my questions have been answered now.

After viewing that long winded essay, I appreciated hearing nerdSlayer admit that he was basically a Star Wars fan who also likes Star Trek. That realization had already come to me as I listened to him, but it was nice to have him mouth those words. To put his video in its proper perspective, if nothing else.

I do wish that some of the content rolled out by Cryptic wasn't always about flashy combat and featured a heavy emphasis on exploration or diplomacy. Imagine an occasional episode with the humor of say "Quark's Lucky Seven" that was instead built around solving a mystery and with zero combat. There are space anomalies that could prove difficult and/or dangerous to one's ship that needed a different solution than unloading a bunch of torpedoes and beam arrays to get past?

Let's see something like that too!
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    Hello everyone.

I am a long time veteran Neverwinter player and am interested in seeing what Star Trek Online has to offer. However, I was hoping some of you could inform me just a little bit about where the game's been, where it is, and where you think it's going. Comparisons to Neverwinter will help me understand much better, as I've gathered that Cryptic has a certain formula when it comes to MMOs. I'm just looking for a brief overview so I can know if the game would be worth investing my time into at this stage. I'd be playing on Xbox, and have had very little exposure to the Star Trek franchise, if that carries any weight. Thanks.
    Star Trek Online has provided me with a great deal of entertainment and enjoyment since I started playing it in 2011. I still play the game on a regular basis and am still enjoying myself to date.

I play on PC and have had significant exposure to the Star Trek franchise over a period of many decades.

From one Cryptic game veteran to another my best suggestion would be to give it a try and see if you like it. Doing so most likely wouldn't take up a significant portion of your time.

As you've posted in the Academy section of the STO forums any questions you have about the game itself and how to play it will most likely be enthusiastically answered. Welcome to the forum btw.
  • Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User

After viewing that long winded essay, I appreciated hearing nerdSlayer admit that he was basically a Star Wars fan who also likes Star Trek. That realization had already come to me as I listened to him, but it was nice to have him mouth those words. To put his video in its proper perspective, if nothing else.

I do wish that some of the content rolled out by Cryptic wasn't always about flashy combat and featured a heavy emphasis on exploration or diplomacy. Imagine an occasional episode with the humor of say "Quark's Lucky Seven" that was instead built around solving a mystery and with zero combat. There are space anomalies that could prove difficult and/or dangerous to one's ship that needed a different solution than unloading a bunch of torpedoes and beam arrays to get past?

Let's see something like that too!

That or something like Echoes of Light from the New Frontiers arc, that's almost 100% exploration. I know that many comes for the space pew pew and might find episodes that has near to no combat in them less desirable to replay because when you already know "the plot" and there's nothing to fight, what's the point?
    I'd argue that "the point" is the same as when you rewatch the same episode of Star Trek for the 2736123 time (which let's be real I think most of us have done). I'm not saying that these types of episodes have to be the majority, by all means lets go blow something up, happens often enough on the show too. But can we please have some more episodes that are predominantly exploration, mystery solving and/or diplomacy?
    Heck you know what? They could make some of the doffing stuff relevant again by giving different options for approaches depending on levels in various doffing categories. They did that once upon a time and I'd love to see something like that return. It'd make it possible to make several variations of the same story so even upon replay it wouldn't be exactly the same.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    You won't be disappointed playing STO, and as a Neverwinter player you will get how things work. the auction house = the exchange. you will find ECs have more use tha gold. Dilithium is the equivalent to astral diamonds and far easier to accumulate.
    Spock.jpg