Install Arc

Memories of the Foundry

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Progressive Players should support the Kobali:

They recycle
    They support cap and trade

:)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Honor of Ferasans, Honor of Orions, Honor of the Empire. Heroes of the Empire. The Dungeon(KDF Nightclub with a Borg theme). House of Orion Wonders. These, and a number of others for stories and appreciation for what other players were able to manifest. Like creative gods(compared to my grunt dumb monkeybrain) breathing life to art. I only play KDF and Rom/KDF, but these are where I had many great and emotional memories. Honor of the Empire, for the events and dialogue that included MY ship specifically, and just...I'll be giving them a final run-through(including Honor of Ferasans to give radioactive mutant burning epohhs their final cuddles). I was there for CoH/CoV's end, for Warhammer Online's, and Shadowrun Chronicles'. The Foundry will get the same presence from me, and I'll end things either at the KDF Dungeon, or Orion House of Wonders for a final dance just as the server shuts down the Foundry.

@where2r1 : Klingon Granny! Would you like to join me for a spell on the final day?

Damn it. I need a drink.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    @ichaerus1 Sweetie, I am already there.... you didn't see my thread in Klingon Discussions???

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1247554/klingon-foundry-missions-before-sunset

p.s. NOT going back into that Orion dungeon place, or whatever the heck that was.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    I would like to add this here:
    where2r1 wrote: »
    HOW TO USE THE FOUNDRY SEARCH:

NOTE: To get the Foundry SEARCH to work:

Click on Foundry Tab in the Mission Journal....
    Click on "BROWSE ALL".
    Click on "CUSTOM" in the drop down list for search....choices are: Top Rated, Hot, New, Custom.
    Type in the Title (and/or Author Name, if you know it.)

TO GET THE PAGE TO REFRESH and give you the search results....
    Click on "Review Content" button then back to "Browse All".

At least that is how I do it. :)

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    And here is a listing of Foundry Spotlight missions..... from 2014.....
    Not sure if this is out there, yet:
    OH...Kael is not making this.....this is a very old listing....
    It was made in 2014 by Captain Smirk!!!

Anyhoo....list of Foundry Spotlight Missions......
    Thanks for pointing it out @frtoaster

Here is the link to THAT list:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/3027483

If you are looking for KLINGON missions....look for (Klingon Faction) label under the author's name over in the right hand side.

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    And here is a listing of Foundry Spotlight missions..... from 2014.....
    Not sure if this is out there, yet:
    OH...Kael is not making this.....this is a very old listing....
    It was made in 2014 by Captain Smirk!!!

Anyhoo....list of Foundry Spotlight Missions......
    Thanks for pointing it out @frtoaster

Here is the link to THAT list:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/3027483

If you are looking for KLINGON missions....look for (Klingon Faction) label under the author's name over in the right hand side.

Yeah, I finally got around to republishing the missions I did, plus a couple of maps I was working on, back in 2016. I had been working on new stuff for Fed side as well. But, that just got nipped in the bud.

You'll probably find them in the review section. Just type my name in and there you go.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • bprangerbpranger Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I think the foundry was at its strongest with some well placed humorous additions. A console not working because "everybody always smashes it" as a send up of "get the daily" foundry missions. Reginald Braclay's granddaughter (?) being just like himself. A second in command being renamed "Morale: 27%" after his boss beams out. Some great stories, mostly in the multi mission ones, as well.

I wanted to do one myself but never came around to really do it and the idea itself has become stale due to developments of STO - but maybe it could have been reworked.

Also my own incompetence, when I wanted to accolade grind early in my career and still got blown up by ships that were without shields and all ... I had much to learn. I still do, but well, it was worse then.

Anyway, thanks to all those who made those fond memories.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    ALL THE OPTIONAL DIALOG for Apex was a highlight. Co-hosting Roundtable was a highlight. Collaborating with Starfatertheta and P.Sutherland on a series we never finished was a highlight. Building 15 episodes and starting on 4 more was a highlight. Playing Q knows how many missions was a highlight. The Foundry was the best thing I've ever been a part of in all of gaming. At the very least I hope it informs how Cryptic approaches their own content in future, doing small things to foster community creativity and players taking stories where they will. There's so much more you can do with the MMO format and it doesn't take much to bring that out.

Start with optional dialog and B-plot character arcs.

All in all, thank you all.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    YBWyACJ.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    R.I.P. Foundry. I rather enjoyed dipping my toe in on occasion for a change of pace, and always hoped I'd get to sit down and try my hand at making one myself.

Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • ufpdewolfeufpdewolfe Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    I remember I used the foundry to help me pass my E.M.T. certification exams. I created the test scenarios to help memorize all the steps I needed to take in the guise of a Star fleet Medical training simulation. The devs actually made a mission in the Breen Arc that followed similar procedures which was pretty cool.
    edited March 2019
    xyquarze wrote: »
    I think the foundry was at its strongest with some well placed humorous additions. A console not working because "everybody always smashes it" as a send up of "get the daily" foundry missions. Reginald Braclay's granddaughter (?) being just like himself. A second in command being renamed "Morale: 27%" after his boss beams out. Some great stories, mostly in the multi mission ones, as well.

I wanted to do one myself but never came around to really do it and the idea itself has become stale due to developments of STO - but maybe it could have been reworked.

Also my own incompetence, when I wanted to accolade grind early in my career and still got blown up by ships that were without shields and all ... I had much to learn. I still do, but well, it was worse then.

Anyway, thanks to all those who made those fond memories.

This was something I tried to incorporate in what I did. In some cases it didn't fit so I didn't. But, I always looked for where I could fit a snarky boff comment in, or a boff popping up with this bit of lore about the planet/area you're in.

In some cases, I tied the lore in to what the npcs are saying.

It's some of the things that are missing from Cryptic episodes. Instead of just adding an honorable mention to the lore. I'd have a boff popup with it at certain points. That way, players could pick up a bit of lore that I included from mem-alpha as they played.

These are things I looked for as I played, either normal or foundry. Just that extra little bit that add some immersion.

This is the one thing I'm going to miss the most about the foundry. Building or playing missions that brought up the lore. That added moment of, "Oh, I just learned history about this place."
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Some of the stuff I was working on before the shutdown announcement:
    https://imgur.com/gallery/4lHvF3M
    https://imgur.com/gallery/EjxCW40

This was supposed to be my entry for the last Foundry contest but I couldn't get it done in time. Now I never will.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    Fond memories of "Time the Enemy" (I never did play "Time the Ally" and "Time the Traitor", my Klingon captain not having reached the required level at the time).
    Tactical Officer: "Captain, I'd like to tell you something I've never told anyone before."
    "What's that?"
    "I LOVE blowing stuff up."

Can anyone put a name to a mission that really stood out, but that I can't remember the name of? Your captain woke up on a secret Tal Shiar base, and it turned out that they weren't in fact your captain but a Tal Shiar agent whose face and memories had been altered to go on a secret infiltration mission... but in fact there were further surprises in store. It might have been a Foundry Challenge mission, but if so I can't remember which Challenge. Could have been the shuttlecraft-only one?
    Another memory of the foundry that will make missed more. Whether building or playing a mission, I always had something to do.

Regular play is now, login, do endeavors, and done for the day. Other than some reward gear from the episodes, there's no reason to repeat play any other part of the game.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • yorktown1997yorktown1997 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    I'm working with a free version of bandicam to help preserve the foundry. Currently on the purity series. If there is anyone willing to assist, let's coordinate. If there are any particular mission you want saved, let me know.
    Nothing is impossible, merely extremely difficult.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I'm working with a free version of bandicam to help preserve the foundry. Currently on the purity series. If there is anyone willing to assist, let's coordinate. If there are any particular mission you want saved, let me know.

Authors and streamers are coordinating on an open sign-up page for authors to post their missions for anyone else to record. Here's a link to said page, if you're looking for more missions to run just sign off next to an open mission and X when you've finished recording. After the sunset we're planning on making an aggregate list of all missions that have been recorded, plus links to their video. Let us know where we can find what you're working on. :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dd1xQfrjwpH8l-Kz7RtBipdBkwwTFAyIOp2aRNW5JpQ

(Most authors are very, very busy with their own preservation efforts and we have more authors posting ATM than we have people to film, so any help would be appreciated.)

Also, feel free to link to your channel or playlist with Foundry content over in the "keeping up with the Foundry" thread stickied on this forum.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »

This was supposed to be my entry for the last Foundry contest but I couldn't get it done in time. Now I never will.

I think the Scotty joke works better if you don't mention Scotty directly. It is too on the nose, and it feels like it's not something someone would say in-universe. [/everyone is a critic]. ;)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

I think the Scotty joke works better if you don't mention Scotty directly. It is too on the nose, and it feels like it's not something someone would say in-universe. [/everyone is a critic]. ;)

Counterpoint: We know from "Rocks and Shoals" that the prowess of Federation engineers is so well known that even the Dominion thinks they're miracle workers.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Counterpoint: We know from "Rocks and Shoals" that the prowess of Federation engineers is so well known that even the Dominion thinks they're miracle workers.
    You are going to make me post it aren't you?

Its a long image
    kIRMXJX.jpg

I don't subscribe to the notion that this is actually a human shtick, and not more a Starfleet shtick. It just happens that we haven't had a full-blooded non-alien chief engineer yet. If you get to pick the brightest upper percentile of each Federation member world and then take the upper percentile of them and put them through Starfleet Engineering school or Starfleet Academy, it should be no surprise that the people you get are really good.
    Also, considering that it's mentioned that Starfleet ships have multiple redundancies in place, I wouldn't really subscribe to the idea that they do extremely crazy and haphazard things that would make engineers from other races scream - they are probably green with envy for the high quality and highly flexible designs Starfleet has available.

Also, not really a memory of the Foundry. :)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    > @xyquarze said:
    > Well, I remember stuff exploding in the foundry ;)

What? Have you played my mission? :D
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    I only managed to make two Foundry missions, and one of them always broke after every update (something about the event handling on a couple of critical NPCs)… what I might do is write up a fanfic for each one. Out of my ever-growing stable of characters, I think T'Pia could cope with the grimness of "No Way Back", and Ronnie Grau would be a natural for "Recipe for Success".

Favourite bits: re-skinning a Dahar Master as a "potentially bankrupt Ferengi". Sneaking in a load of bad SF references in the dialogue options ("It's probably some kind of ultrasonic magnetic effect.") Or the three pages of technobabble where your science officer explains why the gadget in "Recipe for Success" can't work, complete with helpful option to skip and summarize (two buttons, marked "[Listen to your Science Officer]" and "[Pretend to Listen to your Science Officer]"). Fun times. I wish I'd been able to spend some more time with it - I had an idea for a mission which could have been fun....
    8b6YIel.png?1
    wombat140 wrote: »
    Can anyone put a name to a mission that really stood out, but that I can't remember the name of? Your captain woke up on a secret Tal Shiar base, and it turned out that they weren't in fact your captain but a Tal Shiar agent whose face and memories had been altered to go on a secret infiltration mission... but in fact there were further surprises in store. It might have been a Foundry Challenge mission, but if so I can't remember which Challenge. Could have been the shuttlecraft-only one?

I remember the name now, I think - "Cloaked Intentions". If that's still up, I would love it if somebody could nab that. (I'd do it myself, but STO is still reinstalling a little bit at a time over my very slow connection so I doubt if I'll have it working before the weekend at the very least.)
    Hey, I never played Shevet's second mission, definitely going on my list of ones to play if I get the time before the Foundry closes.
    ufpdewolfe wrote: »
    I remember I used the foundry to help me pass my E.M.T. certification exams. I created the test scenarios to help memorize all the steps I needed to take in the guise of a Star fleet Medical training simulation. The devs actually made a mission in the Breen Arc that followed similar procedures which was pretty cool.
    That's a great story.
    > @wombat140 said:
    > Hey, I never played Shevet's second mission, definitely going on my list of ones to play if I get the time before the Foundry closes.

Ditto, I didn't even realize @shevet had done any but I love her fan fiction in Ten Forward.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

I'm going to miss using the generic ship for stuff. Think I only put them in my Syathras Station map. But I had plans to use them more as I did more missions.

Can we get these skins as flyable ones?
    Mm5NeXy.gif