test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alts are a drag, just make an account dill cap

Having to make a bunch of KDF alts to maximize the amount of dilithium I can get is just ridiculous.

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    There is a Dilithium cap, already. 8000 refined per character.
    Making KDF Alts just for dilithium? This is gaming the system.

Not a requirement, unless you desire it. Too much work, don't do it.
    Put in the time, your reward is Dilithium. That is how this game goes.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • worm4lifeworm4life Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    I realize I'm going to get a million replies like this, but gaming the system isn't part of the game by definition. I understand a change like this would negatively impact everyone who does this to farm ZEN but it would eventually normalize and benefit everyone in the long run.

This sort of a system discourages more people than it encourages. It's the worst of skinner box design. It creates a game where the ideal way to obtain things is jumping from alts for a half hour every day and then having a main on which you have an amount of dilithium which will never be exhausted.

Creating a system which actually incentives playing the game properly instead of 'gaming the system' is obviously better.
  • worm4lifeworm4life Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    How are they alienating the people who spend? I really don't get that. Drop rates are low enough that the people who spend are always going to spend. The idea that there is some careful balance that causes people to spend money on these games is just mistaken. Two things drive it a recognizable IP and low drop rates in boxes, that's it.

The only people who are getting alienated is people with alts. Now many of those might be lifetime subscription holders but they'd naturally get a higher account refine limit, so I don't really see the problem. There'd be a dip as everyone goes through the backlog of dill but once people empty out you'd have the same situation roughly where people need to put in more time for more dill but it's not with the irritation of dealing with alts.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    worm4life wrote: »
    Having to make a bunch of KDF alts to maximize the amount of dilithium I can get is just ridiculous.

Then don't do it.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    Farmers are tolerated because they gather dil for the people supporting the game with zen purchases.

Since farming doesn't directly make Cryptic money, they have very little incentive to make it easier for you.

Also, if Cryptic makes farming too easy it causes inflation. That's actually not so bad for the people supporting the game (dil buyers) but you'd find that you're working harder for less zen. Be thankful that Cryptic doesn't listen to you :)
    The only people who are getting alienated is people with alts.

Only the people with farming alts. I have many alts but none of them are for farming so the separated dil caps doesn't matter to me. If I'm playing a new alt and build up a pile of unrefined dil from Admiralty and reputations, I eventually clear it away when I switch to playing another character. Since I'm not farming the wait doesn't matter to me.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Punishing players who don't like to switch toons all the time is indeed just ridiculous.

Theoretically, the cap could still be 8k per character even with account-wide dil. Though that would further highlight the silliness of rewarding players for clogging up the character database with umpteen frivolous refinery mules, at least people would be able to PLAY the one(s) they actually want to play instead of herding their mules.

But really, fixed account-wide cap is the best solution. The cap IS there to limit players who "farm like crazy." Just about any number Cryptic came up with would be fine and whiners' gonna whine.

And of course, coming up with more unique gameplay incentives instead of all dilithium all the time would be good, too. Congratulations here for the personal endeavors and their perk XP, that was a great idea. More please.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Threads on changing the Dill refine cap are an FCT subject IIRC and this is a stupid idea on top of that.

Agreed, along with threads asking for price controls on ships in the Exchange. People want easy money without understanding it leads to Zimbabwe, and price controls without realizing it leads to an empty exchange. Schools are failing to give people a basic understanding of supply and demand.
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    I can "farm" my 16 alts in 30 min a day just doing the klingon and ferengi admiralty stuff. Takes a smidge of my game time every day but pull roughly 6-7k zen a month depending on exchange rate.

If thats a "burden" for you, idk...open your wallet?
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Threads on changing the Dill refine cap are an FCT subject IIRC and this is a stupid idea on top of that.

::::chuckling:::: Azreal drops the mic.

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    It's not in the FCT, but it probably should be. :unamused:

Dilithium caps as they are, are good for the game economy both in and out. This isn't changing.

Baddmoonrizin drops the hammer. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.