test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New security thing on items...

lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
So now if I buy a master key, I have to wait 7 days to sell it on the exchange? How does this make things more secure? All you are doing is time gating things and hurting your actual player base... Unless im missing something? Anyone understand this nonsense?
1e3sni150tar.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,214 Arc User
    No you won't have to wait for it. What they're doing is they're changing the old security system that sometimes tripped on new payment options. It used to be if the system thought you were acting suspicious anything you bought during the probation period would be bound permanently. They're changing it to where its only bound during the duration of the probation now.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    In a nutshell this is only if you've tripped a probationary period on your account. Let's suppose you triggered a probationary period due to it being your first zen purchase, a new payment option, or some other trigger. As it sat before anything you purchased with zen while on that probationary period would be permanently bound to account. Now instead of it being a permanent bind, it's only going to be the 7 days.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    In a nutshell this is only if you've tripped a probationary period on your account. Let's suppose you triggered a probationary period due to it being your first zen purchase, a new payment option, or some other trigger. As it sat before anything you purchased with zen while on that probationary period would be permanently bound to account. Now instead of it being a permanent bind, it's only going to be the 7 days.

Ok, well thats good to know at least. What about hitting your max spending limit on account? Yes, I have hit that a couple times in certain updates. xD But does that trigger it as well? Dont want that amount of keys becoming bound...
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    How does this "account lock timer" deter gold sellers? They can wait this out as anyone could? Basically they are just creating another block for ALL to address a minority issue. When it's not broken...here we go and break it some more. Gold sellers will sell no matter what but this will inconvenience most of us wait and see.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    How does this "account lock timer" deter gold sellers?
    By leaving enough time for thier stolen credit cards to be reported stolen and their accounts banned before they can sell their goods.
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    Man, there is some confusion here.

1) The security practice is NOT new. They have been doing this for years. If the purchase of zen looks suspicious (I'll let Cryptic define what that means), they put a hold on the zen and anything bought with it or a descendant of that.
    2) What IS new is that soon, if the zen is bound to account (and anything bought/descendant of that zen), the hold is no longer permanent, but rather the hold lasts of xx days and will eventually be zen/items that are no longer bound to account.

I read nothing in the announcement that indicated "more" transactions will be treated as suspicious, or otherwise create more inconvenience to buyers. If anything, they have retained some semblance of security while decreasing the impact/inconvenience to players. I don't see them getting rid of having a security system, so this is better than what was in place yesterday.

Reading is fundamental.
  • duasynduasyn Member Posts: 492 Arc User
    Can we add a 7 day hold on Exchange re-posts? I get tired of the market lurkers just re-posting stuff after jacking up the prices! :D
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    duasyn wrote: »
    Can we add a 7 day hold on Exchange re-posts? I get tired of the market lurkers just re-posting stuff after jacking up the prices! :D

Unfortunately, that is a form of game style on STO. "Exchange Lurker".
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • mybm#5203 mybm Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • aspartan1aspartan1 Member Posts: 1,054 Arc User
    nccmark wrote: »
    Man, there is some confusion here.

1) The security practice is NOT new. They have been doing this for years. If the purchase of zen looks suspicious (I'll let Cryptic define what that means), they put a hold on the zen and anything bought with it or a descendant of that.
    2) What IS new is that soon, if the zen is bound to account (and anything bought/descendant of that zen), the hold is no longer permanent, but rather the hold lasts of xx days and will eventually be zen/items that are no longer bound to account.

I read nothing in the announcement that indicated "more" transactions will be treated as suspicious, or otherwise create more inconvenience to buyers. If anything, they have retained some semblance of security while decreasing the impact/inconvenience to players. I don't see them getting rid of having a security system, so this is better than what was in place yesterday.

Reading is fundamental.

That is my take as well. I consider this a good thing for the players.
    If you are looking for an excellent PvE fleet consider: Omega Combat Division today.
    Former member of the Cryptic Family & Friends Testing Team. Sadly, one day, it simply vanished - without a word or trace...
    Obscurea Chaotica Fleet (KDF), Commander
    ingame: @.Spartan
    Romulan_Republic_logo.png
    Former Alpha & Beta Tester
    Original Cryptic Forum Name: Spartan (member #124)
    The Glorious, Kirk’s Protegè
This discussion has been closed.