test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TFO Dranuur Gauntlet - Too difficult when Tzenketi enemies appear

I've played the TFO Dranuur Gauntlet a few times now. When the Tzenketi appear as enemies however (enemy seems randomly chosen) there's no point in defending. The Tzenketi ships are significantly more powerful then other enemies, and with multiple waves of dreadnaughts of them spawning, defense, especially on normal difficulty, is pointless. I just finished a run like that and literally all players decided to just sit and let the timer run our. No fun was being had, since as soon as you came anywhere near the enemy fleet, you'd just be blown up.

Recommendation: Either tone down the individual Tzenketi ships, or remove them from the Dranuur Gauntlet selection of enemies.
... forget your fears. And want no more...

Ex-PWI player (Dawnglory): Ulsyr (BM 104/104/103)
Now on STO. More fun there.

Comments

• viridian74#1359 viridian74 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    I think Dranuur Gauntlet is supposed to get more and more difficult as you progress... sometimes, it's sheer hell - especially with a Vaadwaur fleet on the Respawn point. That said, with the Tzenkethi, are you sure nobody on the team was using Gravity Well, by any chance? Tzenkethi ships reinforce themselves if they are close together and become very, very difficult to beat if not impossible. It's a special ability of their Broin'ta (?) cruisers. Those that Martok in the Tzenkethi RA used to tell you to shoot first ;)
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    If Tzenkethi were easier it would not be a gauntlet. Also, there is a strategy to defeat them it is mentioned in one of the featured episodes about them.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    I think Dranuur Gauntlet is supposed to get more and more difficult as you progress... sometimes, it's sheer hell - especially with a Vaadwaur fleet on the Respawn point. That said, with the Tzenkethi, are you sure nobody on the team was using Gravity Well, by any chance? Tzenkethi ships reinforce themselves if they are close together and become very, very difficult to beat if not impossible. It's a special ability of their Broin'ta (?) cruisers. Those that Martok in the Tzenkethi RA used to tell you to shoot first ;)

Cruiser make nearby ships invurnerble and frigate spawn shield repair drones make those priority and don't use gravity well or other skills that pull ships together.
  • ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    I've played the TFO Dranuur Gauntlet a few times now. When the Tzenketi appear as enemies however (enemy seems randomly chosen) there's no point in defending. The Tzenketi ships are significantly more powerful then other enemies, and with multiple waves of dreadnaughts of them spawning, defense, especially on normal difficulty, is pointless. I just finished a run like that and literally all players decided to just sit and let the timer run our. No fun was being had, since as soon as you came anywhere near the enemy fleet, you'd just be blown up.

Recommendation: Either tone down the individual Tzenketi ships, or remove them from the Dranuur Gauntlet selection of enemies.

I absolutely agree with you. The Tzenkethi need a tune down. Not only they are horrible in Gauntlet (and I would say, Gauntlet is also a problematic mission with many other enemies) but they are horrible in Tzenkethi Front and Gravity kills.
    The endeavor sometimes requires to complete 3 Lukari missions in Advanced at least. How are we suppose to do them if the Tzenkethi are so hard?
    These missions are just a source of anger and frustration and if so there is something wrong.
    People keep saying "Hey it's advanced you should not complain!" but I have no problem with any other advanced. Yes some are longer that others, like "The Breach", but they are doable, only the Tzenkethi are horrible badly designed and overwhelming difficult.
  • ayexeyenayexeyen Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Don't worry about it: Dranuure gauntlet has no failure conditions or way to alter the outcome in any way. In fact, the harder you try, the faster your stuff dies. Just sitting there like a post and doing nothing tends to produce the highest survival times. Either way, nothing you do will bring the mission to a faster conclusion.

It's not question of "faster conclusion". It's question of FUN. A mission should be fun and not a constant source of frustration. You should feel that your efforts counts, at least a tiny bit. In most of the Lukari TFO this is not true, you are bashed, oneshooted, forced to stay dead, interrupted when depploying a bomb or a Hawking particle, moreover (except from Gauntlet) they require much(^10) more time and a very high DPS compared to any other TFOs.

• kitsubeep#7659 kitsubeep Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I also agree that the Tzenkethi need adjusting. The cruisers and battleships have resilience on par with the Voth (except frontally) but from the front you face a rather ridiculous alpha damage from diffuse tetryon torpedo volleys and cannon fire. Lock Trajectory ensures they can easily bring their full firepower to bear upon you or keep their weaker front away from you. If the combat damage log is anywhere near usable I bet I could pull the numbers to back my assertions. Their energy torpedoes are of particular concern since they break game rule of "Torpedoes good vs hull, bad vs shields" so they will melt your shields from the sheer weight and Brace for Impact will do nothing. One on one, you either spend hours banging on their sides and back or play DPS chicken frontally. I had an extremely bad new player experience against level 65 Tzenkethi in story missions. It was bad as encounters with one-shotting Vaadwaur Polaron Barrages.

Its their high alpha damage. I don't mind if I dive right into a group of 6 battleships and I explode. That is my own fault. However, I am irked that even a single battleship can easily drop me to low HP in an instant.

Their group mechanics (avoid Gravity Wells, target cruisers first) aren't the issue. Their numbers just need adjusting.

Every time I random into the Gravity Kills TFO people often just leave outright rather than attempt what feels like the waste of an hour and that is damning.

Dranuur Gauntlet needs reworking as well. Are NPCs supposed to be able to spawn-camp players repeatedly? That is what happens if a group isn't strong enough. At least move our respawn point further back or something. Fresh level 65 players without Mk XV Epics or expensive lockbox traits attempting Normal TFOs just get hit with a brick in these maps.