test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Series Ranking Poll

locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
edited February 2019 in Ten Forward
The other day, I was watching DS9 and realized my personal preferences of how much I like each series are probably not close to typical as I don't really care for DS9 that much and I know that it's a lot of peoples favorite series. Please list your series rankings like the example below based on your personal preferences. I will make a chart and add it to this thread.

----
Example
My series rankings:
TNG 10
VOY 9
ENT 7
DS9 5
TOS 4
DSC 0
TAS n/a
----

Scale:
10 = love it
0 = don't like it at all
n/a = haven't watched it

Abbreviations:
DS9 = Deep Space Nine
DSC = Discovery
ENT = Enterprise
TAS = The animated series
TNG = The Next Generation
TOS = The Original Series
VOY = Voyager

Comments

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    DS9 - 9
    DSC - 8
    TNG - 6
    ENT- 5
    TOS - 4
    VOY - 3
    TAS - N/A

FC - 10
    TUC - 9
    TWOK - 8
    SFS - 6
    INS - 5

STB - 7
    ST - 5
    STID - 3
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    TNG 10
    DS9 9
    TOS 9
    ORV 8
    TAS 7
    VOY 5
    ENT 4
    DSC 3
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    TNG: 10
    ENT: 9.5
    VOY: 8
    DSC: 7.5
    DS9: 5.5
    TOS: 3

I'm honestly surprised about my DS9 ranking, the war focus and more serial approach to story telling should be right up my alley. But when it was new I just couldn't get into the first season and stopped watching, and everytime I go to watch it on Netflix I just can't get into it still, even when I skip to a later season. Part of it is definitely that I find the Bajoran's boring as hell and they are a big part of the series. Also idk if it's my imagination but I always feel like DS9 has too many scenes with very dark lighting.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    DS9: 10
    TNG: 9.5
    ENT: 9.5
    VOY: 8
    TOS: 7.5
    DIS: 7
    TAS: 6
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    • DS9-10 (supporting characters and story arcs done perfectly)
    • DSC-7 (needs to be more DS9 based and not another TNG clone)
    • TNG -6 (once you get past the first three series and ignore most of the dull characters)
    • TNG Films-6 (mixed bag but generally consistent with their TV counterparts unlike the TOS films)
    • KT Films-5 (could be better, could be worse, would have prefered a film about Robu and George)
    • ENT-5 (I loved the Temporal Cold War, Xindi War, and series 4, fight me)
    • TOS Films-5 (TUC is one of the best enterents in the franchise, unfortunately TFF is the absolute bottom, visual ascetics in all of them except TMP are spectacular)
    • TOS-4 (some individual episodes are good, show overall is week, characters lifeless and sets and costumes ugly and dated)
    • TAS-3 (same as above but now badly drawn and full of silly voices)
    • VGR-1 (lifless, dull, soulless, uninspired TNG clone with zero redeeming features)

Adding the film series was difficult because the KT is the only one where I like all the film in the series. Splitting the films up goes:
    • TUC
    • BEY
    • FC
    • TWoK
    • TVH
    • ID
    • NEM (so sue me!)
    • TSFS
    • GEN
    • INS
    • TMP/TFF (can I have the thing where my brain is removed like Spock to wipe these from my memory please?)
    ​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    DS9 - 9
    TNG - 8
    ENT - 7
    TOS - 6
    DSC - 5
    VOY - 3
    TAS - N/A
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    mefit1 wrote: »
    DIS= No opinion yet (haven’t watched it) other than I hate the Klingon look and think it should be considered Kelvin timeline.

It could be argued that Discovery is set in a parallel universe or new timeline, but it is definitely not in the Kelvin Timeline. The Kelvin Enterprise had its maiden voyage in 2258 with Captain Pike in command while Discovery Season 1 is set in 2256. According to startrek.com, the Enterprise was launched in 2245 under the command of Captain April.
    DIS= No opinion yet (haven’t watched it) other than I hate the Klingon look and think it should be considered Kelvin timeline .

Oh, was the Kelvin destroyed in DSC?​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

> @azrael605 said:
    > Orville doesn't count, its a fine show but not a part of the Star Trek franchise.

It's Trek in all but name though, and really what I wanted from a new Star Trek show. I also will count Galaxy Quest as a Trek movie sometimes.

Speaking of which, some have mentioned the movies. To me, Star Trek is really not a movie franchise. I have a special emotional bond for personal reasons to the TOS movies so I like all of them to a degree (and TMP is way better than people claim), but it's not the real strong suit of the brand and the TNG movies are all not very good. They range from unremarkable to cringey. Of the KT I found Beyond good-ish and 09 was good until the TOS crew showed up (a George Kirk movie with Hemsworth would have been great). The rest of 09 and ID are pretty not very good in my opinion.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,981 Arc User
    I really got some good mileage out of all the shows I watched over the decades. Even used to pre-tape quite a few and watch episodes while working out of town from a hotel room.

TNG 10
    VOY 10
    ENT 8
    DS9 8
    TOS 10
    DSC 8
    TAS n/a
    > @artan42 said:
    > mefit1 wrote: »
    >
    > DIS= No opinion yet (haven’t watched it) other than I hate the Klingon look and think it should be considered Kelvin timeline .
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Oh, was the Kelvin destroyed in DSC?​​

I don’t know if it was .
    I was saying because of all the canon errors , the advanced Tech that outshines TOS, TNG , DS9 , VOG , ENT , and heck even 2009/intoDarkness/beyond .

But it would be easier to explain those errors in Kelvin than prime .

Even the uniforms make no sense , from what I seen Pike’s enterprise uniform doesn’t look like even TOS or even Pilot’s uniform .

It’s like CBS just tossed out the Cannon book and fully decided to ignore it without any explanation.
    At least Kelvin timeline has a explanation why things are so advanced and don’t match fully up to the prime timeline .

Or heck , they could even say Discovery is in another mirror universe but ........

There are no canon errors worthy of note. The technology does not outstrip the TNG era and the uniforms have always changed.

The Kelvin Timeline doesn't mean 'Trek you personally don't like'. It specifically refers to the alternate timeline created when Nero destroyed the Kelvin.

#TASforSTO

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    Pike's Enterprise uniform looks MUCH better than the TOS uniforms, while maintaining the TOS look. I could easilly see those uniforms being used in place of the TOS ones and they wouldn't look out of place. I can also see Discovery style console displays fitting in just fine on the classic TOS bridge. There have been people who edited scenes from TOS to replace the consoles with more touchscreen style and it looked amazing. MUCH better than the few jellybean buttons they actually got.

As for the LOOK of the tech... you also have to consider that we're comparing a lot-mid budget 1960s Sci-fi to a modern 21st century HIGH budget sci-fi. We're capable of emulating technology that is far more advanced now than they were capable of back then, with much higher quality. For all intents and purposes it is a "Visual" update to the era that still fits in. Consider the change in Bridge controls between the Enterprise (refit) and Enterprise-A. Both are the same class, both have been in service at the same time (if we assume that Ent-A started life as Yorktown orignally) and yet Ent-A has touchscreen controls while Enterprise didn't.

Now... thought experiment here. What if we visually replace the pushbutton controls for Discovery style touchscreens and pushbuttons? We have a bit more of a clear evolution leading to the 24th Century LCARS, and the Discovery style controls do appear to be able to evolve easily into the ST5/6 touchscreen controls, which in turn evolve into the TNG LCARS. Hell... the NX-01 had some touchscreens too. Pushbuttons were more prevalent because it was 100 years before TOS, but they still existed.

Anyways... on topic...

TOS - 4 (Had a few gems like Trouble with Tribbles, but by the 90s looked a bit cheesy due to age)
    TAS - N/A (never saw it)
    TNG - 7 (was the one I grew up with. Hell... started the year I was born so it is literally the one I grew up with)
    DS9 - 6 (Some of the Bajoran focus did drag a bit, but overall I have no problem with Bajorans. Pakleds on the other hand... ;))
    VOY - 5 (Kazon, and too many writers going in random directions)
    ENT - 6 (Season 3 felt a little too focused on revenge at times than it did actually stoping the Xindi. Still loved the tech development)
    DSC - 6 (No Trek ever had a blockbuster awesome 1st season, but did like some things they did.)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    TOS-9: It gets credit for starting this whole thing
    TNG-3: Just can't get into this one. Best of Both Worlds is probably the only episode I can sit through.
    DS9-10: The only ST spin off that doesn't feel like its riffing on what has come before.
    VOY-2: Show doesn't live up to the promise of the premise.
    ENT-3: Gets one point above Voyager for the Xindi arc.
    DSC-8: Like what they are doing.

movies:
    TMP-5: I like this movie up until the Enterprise encounters the cloud.
    WOK-9: Gold standard of Trek films.
    SFS-6: An ok film.
    VH-8: A fun film.
    FF-0: I remember walking out of the theater after Scotty hit his head and taking off all my Star Trek gear.
    UC-9: depending on my mood sometimes takes the top spot from WOK

Gen-2: No. Just no.
    FC-5: The best of TNG films and thats not saying much.
    IN-3: Felt like an extended episode and not a movie.
    NEM-3: TNG's WOK but the bad parts. Probably should take more points off for killing the TNG movies

ST09-9: Enjoyed the film
    STID-8: I know people hate this film but I still watch it to this day
    STB-7: Felt like they were trying to be Guardians of the Galaxy instead of Trek. Still was entertaining to me.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • luminaire#0745 luminaire Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    TOS - 6: I mean, I love the cheesiness and it is the original, but for every classic episode there are several that make you realize that it was a minor miracle anyone ever gave it a second chance on the big screen. Redeemed immensely by the movies

TNG - 9: My first Trek, and lots of great episodes, and who doesn't love to listen to Picard give a thundering moral speech?

DS9 - 10: Far and away favorite. Got away with a lot in terms of serialized/long term story arcs that Trek usually avoids and did a much better job than the other shows of developing all of it's characters, rather than focusing on two or three 'key' characters. Also liked the darker tone/"Sometimes an inspiring speech doesn't cut it" approach to Trek.

VOY - 7: Had so much potential, but in the end they kind of just wussed out and did a rehash of TNG.

ENT - 5: Not overly thrilled with prequels in general, especially in such a well established universe, and not helped by the fact that they wasted so much time on the 'Temporal Cold War'. Too little too late when it started improving by focusing on the run up to the founding of the Federation, ie something actually relevant to the later series.

DSC - 0: Star Trek that doesn't like Star Trek, but wants to cash in on the brand recognition.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    I love Orville, and Galaxy Quest, but the bare unalterable fact is that they are not a part of the Trek IP, and that is all that decides if they are Trek or not.

B5 - 9
    Orv - 8
    SG1 - 7
    Atl - 7
    And - 6
    SGU - 6

You make one allowance, you might as well make every allowance. xD

T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    > @mirrorchaos said:
    > B5 - 9
    > Orv - 8
    > SG1 - 7
    > Atl - 7
    > And - 6
    > SGU - 6
    >
    > You make one allowance, you might as well make every allowance. xD

But not really. Orville and GQ are literally Star Trek installments sans license. The others, as much DS9 was a B5, ahem, homage, are not 🌲😉
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Hmm, let's see...

TOS - 8/10
    TNG - 9/10
    DS9 - 8/10
    VOY - 9/10

Haven't seen rest of the series enough to give you an educated rating.

If you also want movies...
    Motion Picture - 6/10
    Wrath of Khan - 10/10
    Search for Spock - 10/10
    Voyage Home - 10/10
    Final Frontier - 6/10
    Undiscovered Country - 8/10
    Generations - 10/10
    First Contact - 10/10
    Insurrection - 9/10
    Nemesis - 6/10
    2009 - 6/10
    Into Darkness - 4/10
    Beyond - n/a (haven't seen)

And since we're also doing the "rate the non-Trek sci-fi series" game, I'll give both MacGyver and Neon Genesis Evangelion 9(.5)/10.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Hmm, let's see...

TOS - 8/10
    TNG - 9/10
    DS9 - 8/10
    VOY - 9/10

Motion Picture - 6/10
    Wrath of Khan - 10/10
    Search for Spock - 10/10
    Voyage Home - 10/10
    Final Frontier - 6/10
    Generations - 10/10
    First Contact - 10/10
    Insurrection - 9/10
    Nemesis - 6/10
    2009 - 6/10
    Into Darkness - 4/10

And since we're also doing the "rate the non-Trek sci-fi series" game, I'll give both MacGyver ... 9(.5)/10.

The 1985 version or the 2016 version?

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Hmm, let's see...

TOS - 8/10
    TNG - 9/10
    DS9 - 8/10
    VOY - 9/10

Motion Picture - 6/10
    Wrath of Khan - 10/10
    Search for Spock - 10/10
    Voyage Home - 10/10
    Final Frontier - 6/10
    Generations - 10/10
    First Contact - 10/10
    Insurrection - 9/10
    Nemesis - 6/10
    2009 - 6/10
    Into Darkness - 4/10

And since we're also doing the "rate the non-Trek sci-fi series" game, I'll give both MacGyver and Neon Genesis Evangelion 9(.5)/10.

Space Above and Beyond - 8
    Sea Quest - 5
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 227 Arc User

Shows -

DS9 - 9
    TOS - 10
    TNG - 8
    VOY - 6
    ENT - 4
    TAS - 4
    DIS - N/A (Don't watch so wont rate)

Movies -

Motion Picture - 6
    Wrath of Khan - 10
    Search for Spock - 9
    Voyage Home - 10
    Final Frontier - 3
    Undiscovered Country - 8.5
    Generations - 7
    First Contact - 10
    Insurrection - 5
    Nemesis - 6

Kelvin Uni Movies -

2009 - 8.5
    Into Darkness - 2
    Beyond - 6
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
    khan5000 wrote: »
    Space Above and Beyond - 8
    Sea Quest - 5

OMG! Another person who remembers those shows! I loved seaQuest! Sucks that they never even gave it a finale. They just cut it off mid season 3. But I do admit season 1 was a bit better with more actual science than science fiction.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Hmm, let's see...

TOS - 8/10
    TNG - 9/10
    DS9 - 8/10
    VOY - 9/10

Motion Picture - 6/10
    Wrath of Khan - 10/10
    Search for Spock - 10/10
    Voyage Home - 10/10
    Final Frontier - 6/10
    Generations - 10/10
    First Contact - 10/10
    Insurrection - 9/10
    Nemesis - 6/10
    2009 - 6/10
    Into Darkness - 4/10

And since we're also doing the "rate the non-Trek sci-fi series" game, I'll give both MacGyver ... 9(.5)/10.

The 1985 version or the 2016 version?

The original with Richard Dean Anderson, obviously. :)
    The original with Richard Dean Anderson, obviously. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKTNWI0eYJ4
    The man who proved you don't need a gun to be a hero. Just brains, access to raw materials, and some imagination.

And a Swiss Army Knife. ;)