test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you like to see the discovery saurian added to STO

2»

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'd like a sneezing emote too.

Related: the option for tusks might get me to play a Tellarite.

I just hope in STO the tusks are actually growing from the mouth. You know, being TEETH - and not grow from the cheeks which I think is just to make the costume more comfortable for the actor.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • oneafer9oh9oneafer9oh9 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    We would prefer not to see any kelvin timeline anything
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Yes

Well, you're in luck, as only that one mission (Terminal Expanse) is in-game, and Discovery isn't KT. :mrgreen:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Yes
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I'd like a sneezing emote too.

Related: the option for tusks might get me to play a Tellarite.

I just hope in STO the tusks are actually growing from the mouth. You know, being TEETH - and not grow from the cheeks which I think is just to make the costume more comfortable for the actor.​​

It's not unheard of for tusks to grow out of odd places here on Earth. Take the babirusa, a type of boar and perhaps the most directly relevant example when comparing to Tellarites. The bits growing out of the top of its skull are inverted canine teeth. Also, the horn of the more famous narwhal is just one big protruding canine tooth.

Not to say it wasn't a choice made mainly for actor comfort, just that there's natural precedent for it.
    @jexsamx you are not wrong. However, arsthetically I just think they are off, not where canines are supposed to be on a porcine/humanoid jaw but it's a pet peeve of mine 😄
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Yes
    Sure, the more, the merrier.
    angrytarg wrote: »

It's pretty simple, but sure. Adding more options is always better than taking options away. I care absolutely nothing about Saurians, but I guarantee there are people who would be pissed if you took away their current appearance. Adding a new discovery option = everybody wins. Replacing the current version with discovery = upsetting people who don't like the discovery option. The best choice is obvious.

Indeed. I'd be enraged if any of my characters would be exchanged for a "modern" makeover. Additionally, it makes absolutely no sense to replace the old visuals, for what purpose? It happened with the Gorn and that was bad enough.​​

Amusingly enough, didn't they basically give us the "old" Gorn back with the TOS expansion? Okay, it might be that they actually upgraded it a bit, I don't know, I didn't keep any of the old style Gorn around.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Amusingly enough, didn't they basically give us the "old" Gorn back with the TOS expansion? Okay, it might be that they actually upgraded it a bit, I don't know, I didn't keep any of the old style Gorn around.

No, that's the TOS Gorn which is screen accurate. The old STO Gorn and the new STO Gorn both look nothing like Gorn on the show pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Not botherd either way

Well, you're in luck, as only that one mission (Terminal Expanse) is in-game, and Discovery isn't KT. :mrgreen:

Some of the Discovery writers didn't seem to get the memo on that, considering they wrote Section 31 closer to the Kelvin version than the one from Enterprise or DS9.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    tyler002 wrote: »

Some of the Discovery writers didn't seem to get the memo on that, considering they wrote Section 31 closer to the Kelvin version than the one from Enterprise or DS9.

No they didn't. S31 is the same in DS9, ENT, KT, and DSC. People who have nothing to so with Starfleet Intelligence not knowing what S31 is doesn't make it a closed secret. People read DS9 wrong, that's their problem not the writers of DSC.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    It looks like an updated, modern make up version of a Sleestak.

That's exactly what I was thinking too!

OMG, if I had seen that makeup on Sleestaks when I was 9yo....I would be having nightmares. Mom would ban Land of the Lost.

It is amazing what they can do these days.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    Yes
    Yes, let's please get back to the Saurians, and not derail the thread. Thanks.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    It looks a bit too much like a typical grey alien.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Yes
    He looks surprised that he has a poll about him.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Not botherd either way
    He can't take his eyes off the results. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
This discussion has been closed.