test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Wars Girl discussing Captain Marvel

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
https://youtu.be/cuvuwe3YxgA

She makes one heck of a high energy arguement against Captain Marvel.

Now its not my arguement, I simply don't like Brie, there are a host of actresses that are awesome that could do the role justuce, that are more likable.

Tons of actresses that could have done the role better, Alexandra Daddario, the actress who plays Sarah on Legends of Tommorrow.

So yeah this one is a skip for me. And no way should Captain Marvel get her own movie before Scarett Witch and Black Widow, those actresses play their dues first, they earned it.

Comments

• Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    This thread should've been posted in Ten Forward as it has no relation to STO.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    This thread should've been posted in Ten Forward as it has no relation to STO.

Yep!

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Why was this so special it had to be seperate from the already existing Captain Marvel thread?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    So, talking doom about things that aren'T even out yet is not exclusive to the Trek fandom? pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    So, talking doom about things that aren'T even out yet is not exclusive to the Trek fandom? pig-2.gif​​
    Oh, heavens no. Trekkies are really good at it, don't get me wrong, but as far as I can tell every fandom has people like this.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    It is surprising that hardly anyone ever mentions that Captain Marvel beats up a grandma in each trailer. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the hatred towards Captain Marvel comes from that scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNiU7SvIzGo
  • Options
    Grandma gave as good as she got, though. Suppose it helps that she was in fact a Skrull...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    Grandma gave as good as she got, though. Suppose it helps that she was in fact a Skrull...

True, but it is the image of a superhero beating up an 'innocent' grandma that is the problem. At least one trailer just has Captain Marvel hitting the grandma without "Grandma gave as good as she got." Any witness on that train and if the grandma didn't turn into a Skrull would think that a psychopathic woman in weird clothing decided to beat up a skilled grandma.
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    DC didn't make a political statement? So I imagined the marketing makong a huge deal about the director being a woman, a blatant statement in the film that Wonder Woman is bisexual in WWI and the frank discussion of how the "good guys" were guilty of horrible things too ("who destroyed your people?" "His people *nods to Steve*".

How is it possible to have an island with only females and no male contact for thousands of years and not have all of them being bisexual or TRIBBLE? The only reason why Wonder Woman is bi is she left the island.
  • Options
    That does not change the fact that before the film that had never in more than 60 years of publication been stated in any other Wonder Woman material, far to the contrary in fact. Back in the 60s when DC created Batwoman so they could point to her and say "see Batman isn't TRIBBLE" they repeatedly made statements that the Amazons had no sex of any kind. Just as the modern Batwoman is a TRIBBLE the choice of making this a story factor in the film was motivated by politics. There is no way around it.

I seriously doubt that. Wonder Woman is the youngest Amazon and the princess of the Amazons so it is possible the 1960s version was innocent of such activities and didn't realize what was going on at night. What is more likely, that they were celibate for thousands of years or had fun with their fellow Amazons?
    patrickngo wrote: »
    starkaos wrote: »
    DC didn't make a political statement? So I imagined the marketing makong a huge deal about the director being a woman, a blatant statement in the film that Wonder Woman is bisexual in WWI and the frank discussion of how the "good guys" were guilty of horrible things too ("who destroyed your people?" "His people *nods to Steve*".

How is it possible to have an island with only females and no male contact for thousands of years and not have all of them being bisexual or TRIBBLE? The only reason why Wonder Woman is bi is she left the island.

ahem, "MAGIC!!" Remember that Wonder Woman's powers are derived from Divine mystical Mumbo-Jumbo as opposed to fring and disproved scientific theories.

Thus, Themiscyra can indeed support its population of all women without any men whatsoever.

Apparently Wonder Woman was created using clay by her mother, but magical procreation has nothing to do with Amazonian fun.
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Just don't care about the message. If someone gets something positive from it, fine, but I don't get my ethical education from fantasy films. That would be like 'learning to be a good friend' by watching Fast and Furious XXIV or whatever they're up to now. It's the wrong venue for the issue, in my opinion.
    Fast And Furious XXIV, The Green Highway!

Dominic: We can take these guys if we can get our Prius to do over 60kph.

Brian: Whoa, buddy! You start cutting into your battery life, and that means it takes more fossil fuel generated electricity to charge the battery. Let's set the maximum speed of the race at 55kph.

Dominic: You're right, buddy, we need to consider the environmental impact of our race. Tell you what, why don't we make it a footrace instead?

Brian: Hmm, I don't know, you'll be exhaling too much CO2, which is toxic.

Oh hell yeah, I want to see that movie!

And it's not like I even object to inserting messages into shows. Hell, Star Trek built a franchise on forty-five minute morality plays. If you want to insert a message into your show, by all means do so.

My objection is simply this: I don't like theaters and I don't like crowds, so it takes something special to get me into a crowded theater. The trailer didn't make me want to get outside of my comfort zone. Frankly, The Incredibles did a better job of that. (And I think an argument could be made for female empowerment in Incredibles ii, if one wished to do so.)
  • Options
    brian334 wrote: »
    Just don't care about the message. If someone gets something positive from it, fine, but I don't get my ethical education from fantasy films. That would be like 'learning to be a good friend' by watching Fast and Furious XXIV or whatever they're up to now. It's the wrong venue for the issue, in my opinion.

Brian: Whoa, buddy! You start cutting into your battery life, and that means it takes more fossil fuel generated electricity to charge the battery. Let's set the maximum speed of the race at 55kph.

Dominic: You're right, buddy, we need to consider the environmental impact of our race. Tell you what, why don't we make it a footrace instead?

And it's not like I even object to inserting messages into shows. Hell, Star Trek built a franchise on forty-five minute morality plays. If you want to insert a message into your show, by all means do so.

My objection is simply this: I don't like theaters and I don't like crowds, so it takes something special to get me into a crowded theater. The trailer didn't make me want to get outside of my comfort zone. Frankly, The Incredibles did a better job of that. (And I think an argument could be made for female empowerment in Incredibles ii, if one wished to do so.)

They definitely need to make that movie. It will certainly be a good comedy.

I have the same opinion about theaters. For the past few years, the only movies I saw in a movie theater was ones at the cheap theater, the recent Star Wars movies, and Alita. I did not see Solo when it first came out due to my reaction to The Last Jedi. The Last Jedi was regretful, but Alita was the best movie I have seen in years. There is nothing in Captain Marvel that makes me want to see it when it comes out. Especially when it costs $17 for a movie ticket.

• Options
    theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    brian334 wrote: »

I think there's a line, poorly defined to be sure, but glaring when it's crossed, between having a morality play, and beating people over the head with an anvil.

I say it's poorly defined, because it can be crossed very very easily, because depending on how much exposure a writer or actor or movie maker has to other viewpoints, they can say something that sounds entirely reasonable-to them, and wind up with the fan reaction to Ghostbusters 2016. the more homogenous an environment is, the more that 'normal' shifts. An environment where everyone competes to see how 'enlightened' they are among their peers, the weirder and more tone deaf they become for anyone from OUTSIDE that environment.

and there's more than a little elitism involved too.

I think that line is pretty clear (I may be wrong). I think it's when the character in your movie is talking at the audience rather than speaking to another character in the move. That shifts it from morality play/examination of the human condition to self-absorbed assjacket delivering a sermon. If your marketing campaign comes off as, "Next, we're going to teach you kids a lesson about the dangers of bonfires and late-night drug-fueled intercourse...," instead of , "THIS... is going to be fun," then you should leave marketing and seek a career in a different field.

Two things that occur to me:

1. There is already a nation-wide infrastructure devoted to sermonizing and we don't need another.
    2. What if DisneyMarvel went into this filming alternate takes in both Captain Marvel and/or Avengers: Endgame just in case something went kakapoo?
  • Options
    Oh, yes, having the Amazons be kidnappers and rapists would be ever so much better than having them be bi.

And bi the way, the idea that men are, as the movie WW put it, "not essential" for pleasure dates back to William Moulton Marston's creation of the character, back in Sensation Comics. A few examples can be found here.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    Well, to be fair, Wonder Woman never presented itself as a factual representation of Amazon history and methodology.

Plus with the number of reboots it's no surprise when any character exists in different versions. As such I see no reason why it would have to be an either/or proposition. It would be interesting if it was treated as though both are true, but one is the "official story," and the other is treated as the dirty secret everyone knows about, but doesn't talk about. Could add some interesting layers so long as it wasn't used as a bludgeon or a hashtag. Or #bludgeon !
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I can't listen to the video at work and probably wouldn't out of fear from spoilers, so I have to ask.
    Has she seen the movie already? Or is this just based on interviews and trailers?

I find it reasonable to look at a trailer, a headline or a poster and say: "It's probably not for me". You kinda have no choice sometimes, because you can't watch everything But I don't think it's reasonable to make a 15 minute video just with that. Producing a 15 minute video might already require as much time as watching the movie!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    Wonder Woman was a good movie, Captain Marvel is looking to be a train wreck.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius