test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ST:DSC: S2 E06 "The Sounds of Thunder"

mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
edited February 2019 in Ten Forward
The Kelpians are free of fear, the Ba'ul now have to deal with a renewed position with their lifestock no longer cornered and culled, the Kelpians are as dangerous as the Ba'ul are now.

Only thing i found in the episode is comments related to the "Red Angel" which i'm now convinced has something to do with Spock. His disappearance is way too much of a cooincidence, especially if Section 31 can't pin him down along these red angel sightings. i'm holding back my thoughts for now until the next episode to be sure.
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.

Comments

• foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    Was indeed a extremely good episode. We got our first decent look at the Red Angel. More alien ships potentially making their way into STO further down the track, and more mysteries upon mysteries.

S31 side of it, continues to show, at least in my opinion, how they will transit to the DS9 side where they were first introduced (tv show wise, not Star Trek timeline wise)
    pjxgwS8.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    Pike's decison at the end, to attempt to destroy the Ba'ul's ability to commit genocide against the Kelpiens, felt very Kirk to me. (Remember Eminiar VII?) And it's nice to see that the Prime Directive is back to being what it was in TOS - a guideline for correct First Contact procedures - rather than the straitjacket it became in TNG and later. (I mean, seriously, the Prime Directive is supposed to deal with pre-spaceflight cultures, but they can't "interfere" in what happens within the freaking Klingon Empire, right next door? Are the Klinks pre-warp primitives all of a sudden??)

I had supposed, about a quarter of the way through, that it would turn out that the Kelpiens were sort of a larval form of the Ba'ul, and the culling was a form of graduation ceremony. I was pleased that they didn't go that way.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    I had supposed, about a quarter of the way through, that it would turn out that the Kelpiens were sort of a larval form of the Ba'ul, and the culling was a form of graduation ceremony. I was pleased that they didn't go that way.

Had the same thought. Would have been more interesting if they went with the Kelpiens being the larval form of Ba'ul instead of Ba'ul being the former prey of the final form of the Kelpiens. Although, it seems like Saru in Season 1 made for a better First Officer due to his ability to sense danger rather than being able to fire spikes from his head.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The visuals were fantastic this episode. The Ba'ul physically are very interesting and the look of their ships was unique. Seeing their sentry ships surrounding and dwarfing the Discovery, was a great visual. Even better was Pike's confidence that Disco could take them. It's good seeing the Federation who are not pushovers.

The camera work and direction are bloody awful. You do not need a spinning action cam in the Magic Meeting Room. It works when there's action because it makes things look frantic, when people are having a calm conversation you do not need the cameras to be operated by epileptic rabbits on crack. Learn from the mistakes of the directing of the first two KT films, endless zooms, spins, flares, and close ups get visually tiring and lack any effect when they should be used due to oversaturation.

It is good to see the PD bent correctly. If only Pike was around to beat Archer and Picards arses to point out that genocide is wrong. It lets DSC work more in the way TOS did and ENT sometimes did. The TNG and later interpretation of the PD ends up morally repugnant at times and so far DSC has been far to TNG like and not TOS enough. That stance killed ENT, don't let it kill DSC.

Oh, and Arrim got a line, keep it up DSC. That's more lines that Sulu had in TOS.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    @artan42 no, don't tell me the episode got spinny cams at the beginning of EVERY scene again. I can't deal with that, episode two or three was so bad because of that, I get nauseous 😒
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »
    @artan42 no, don't tell me the episode got spinny cams at the beginning of EVERY scene again. I can't deal with that, episode two or three was so bad because of that, I get nauseous 😒

I don't normally notice them. So it was particularly bad this episode.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!