test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alita Battle Angel, Captain Marvel; Which one (if either) are you going to see?

Comments

• lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Neither, I don't like Brie's acting, and the eyes on the battle Angel are square in the uncanny valley making it unpleasant to watch for me (not a knock on the movie, and even ironic even I love Hentai P.O.R.N)
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    Neither, I don't like Brie's acting, and the eyes on the battle Angel are square in the uncanny valley making it unpleasant to watch for me (not a knock on the movie, and even ironic even I love Hentai P.O.R.N)

I believe the uncanny valley look is intentional to show how much of a cyborg Alita is. It is a more advanced version special effect of Data's look with his skin and eyes. Alita is almost fully cybernetic with the only remaining human part being her brain. However, in the manga her brain was replaced with a brain chip.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I'm keeping my wallet closed in regards to Captain Marvel, Brie Larson's attitude is a turn off
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      edited February 2019
      patrickngo wrote: »
      Okay, I asked the question, so I owe an answer.

I loved Wonder Woman. I've enjoyed most of the Resident Evil franchise, Terminator (including the teevee show), Hunger Games, Nu Star Wars movies, Kate Beckinsale's vampire/Lycan series, and the Alien franchise.

those are all female fronted action movies, either coming from, or generating, comic book and similar tie-ins. some of them have been accused of being excessively influenced by activism, or even being outright 'SJW'. I don't care, they're fun movies and the stars want people who look like me to see them perform.

Brie Larsen doesn't want someone who looks like me to see her movie. She doesn't want someone who looks like me to review it, she doesn't want someone who looks like me to discuss it.

She's said as much, and doubled down in her twitter and interviews.

Okay.

I'm sure I'll have a good, popcorn munching time seeing Alita, and I know I'm hoping for more of Gal Godot's Wonder Woman.

but I can honor the star's wishes, and not see her movie. I'm sure the fandom of Anita Sarkeesian can cover the loss of my lone, cheap, matinee ticket. I have no desire to consume product produced by someone who doesn't want me to consume it, not when I have a wealth of options available to see an TRIBBLE-kicking heroine with snappy one-liners and decent special effects.

It's interesting how: "Hey, wouldn't it be nice if there were more reporters and reviewers from underrepresented groups being invited to do their thing" automatically means to people that are not in underrepresented groups suck and shouldn't even bother watching a movie? Is that really the lesson you take away from that: If you're for them, then you must be against me? Is it really always a zero-sum game?
      Well, she suggests it's not, but maybe you're right, and in the grimdark future of humanity, there can only be conflict and hurt feelings.
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
      Okay, I asked the question, so I owe an answer.

I loved Wonder Woman. I've enjoyed most of the Resident Evil franchise, Terminator (including the teevee show), Hunger Games, Nu Star Wars movies, Kate Beckinsale's vampire/Lycan series, and the Alien franchise.

those are all female fronted action movies, either coming from, or generating, comic book and similar tie-ins. some of them have been accused of being excessively influenced by activism, or even being outright 'SJW'. I don't care, they're fun movies and the stars want people who look like me to see them perform.

Brie Larsen doesn't want someone who looks like me to see her movie. She doesn't want someone who looks like me to review it, she doesn't want someone who looks like me to discuss it.

She's said as much, and doubled down in her twitter and interviews.

Okay.

I'm sure I'll have a good, popcorn munching time seeing Alita, and I know I'm hoping for more of Gal Godot's Wonder Woman.

but I can honor the star's wishes, and not see her movie. I'm sure the fandom of Anita Sarkeesian can cover the loss of my lone, cheap, matinee ticket. I have no desire to consume product produced by someone who doesn't want me to consume it, not when I have a wealth of options available to see an TRIBBLE-kicking heroine with snappy one-liners and decent special effects.

It's interesting how: "Hey, wouldn't it be nice if there were more reporters and reviewers from underrepresented groups being invited to do their thing" automatically means to people that are not in underrepresented groups suck and shouldn't even bother watching a movie? Is that really the lesson you take away from that: If you're for them, then you must be against me? Is it really always a zero-sum game?
      Well, she suggests it's not, but maybe you're right, and in the grimdark future of humanity, there can only be conflict and hurt feelings.

It would be even more interesting if Ms. Larson/DisneyMarvel set up a charity to get under-represented people into journalism rather than setting up a charity to inflate ticket sales.
    • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

But what kind of world would that be? One robbed of that sweet sound of privileged distress - that's not what anyone can want pig-3.gif​​
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
      I'll see it. On Netflix, a year from now.

Larson is entitled to her bigotry, but she is not entitled to pretend her bigotry is noble.
      brian334 wrote: »

Larson is entitled to her bigotry, but she is not entitled to pretend her bigotry is noble.

I don't know, she's still young, maybe this whole mess will make her re-think what her profs and peers have pushed into her head, (I know, I doubt it too, she'd have to spend a LOT of time outside the industry echo-chamber). I'm not judging her whole life and future off this. I think her initial comments show where she's at in her headspace right now, and her attempts at damage control aren't interesting to me, because that reflects more on studio pressure than any actual reconsideration of her position.

This isn't a Jane Fonda situation here. She hasn't done or said anything unforgiveable, but she has presented a position that (thanks to options) I can afford to say, "Okay, you feel that way, I'll go away."

Thing is, she's still blaming other people for the backlash, even in her recent damage control efforts, so there's a lack of understanding there that can only come with acknowledging that SHE made her comments and that words have meaning.

My late stepmother *(My dad's second wife) refused to see anything with Mel Gibson's name attached to it. She is jewish, it should be obvious why, even though his statements were while sloppy drunk and somewhat out of control.

Brie was sober and not on medication when she said what she said, and when she doubled down on it. in a sense, there's less of an excuse, but she's young, so she can hopefully overcome her upbringing and recognize that people are just people.

but first, she's going to have to take responsibility for, and own, her statements, and that means accepting that judging people based on their gender or race is as bad as judging them based on any other surface, empty, meaningless criteria.

like shoe size. You don't get to choose what your skin color is, you don't get to chose whether to be born with XX or XY chromosomes, you don't even get to choose your sexual orientation. The only thing you CAN choose, is who you want to be as a person, internally. Until she actually internalizes this she's not going to make any traction with her attempt to paper over her own conditioned bigotry.

and it is conditioned bigotry-she's judged a major portion of what should be her fanbase based solely on their gender and skin color, because it happens to be the only gender or skin color you're allowed to disparage these days, and that's a shoddy way to operate, transference isn't enlightenment, it's just picking a safe target.

Kind of how Virtue-Signaling isn't the same thing as actual Virtue.

Indeed, Virtue Signalling is either an attempt to achieve Moral Supremacy or an indicator that the person in question cares far too much about what others think of them.

Then I have to wonder, though, if pointing that out is a virtue signal in and of itself.

Why do I do this to myself? :expressionless:
      brian334 wrote: »

I don't know, she's still young, maybe this whole mess will make her re-think what her profs and peers have pushed into her head, (I know, I doubt it too, she'd have to spend a LOT of time outside the industry echo-chamber). I'm not judging her whole life and future off this. I think her initial comments show where she's at in her headspace right now, and her attempts at damage control aren't interesting to me, because that reflects more on studio pressure than any actual reconsideration of her position.

This isn't a Jane Fonda situation here. She hasn't done or said anything unforgiveable, but she has presented a position that (thanks to options) I can afford to say, "Okay, you feel that way, I'll go away."

Thing is, she's still blaming other people for the backlash, even in her recent damage control efforts, so there's a lack of understanding there that can only come with acknowledging that SHE made her comments and that words have meaning.

My late stepmother *(My dad's second wife) refused to see anything with Mel Gibson's name attached to it. She is jewish, it should be obvious why, even though his statements were while sloppy drunk and somewhat out of control.

Brie was sober and not on medication when she said what she said, and when she doubled down on it. in a sense, there's less of an excuse, but she's young, so she can hopefully overcome her upbringing and recognize that people are just people.

but first, she's going to have to take responsibility for, and own, her statements, and that means accepting that judging people based on their gender or race is as bad as judging them based on any other surface, empty, meaningless criteria.

like shoe size. You don't get to choose what your skin color is, you don't get to chose whether to be born with XX or XY chromosomes, you don't even get to choose your sexual orientation. The only thing you CAN choose, is who you want to be as a person, internally. Until she actually internalizes this she's not going to make any traction with her attempt to paper over her own conditioned bigotry.

and it is conditioned bigotry-she's judged a major portion of what should be her fanbase based solely on their gender and skin color, because it happens to be the only gender or skin color you're allowed to disparage these days, and that's a shoddy way to operate, transference isn't enlightenment, it's just picking a safe target.

Kind of how Virtue-Signaling isn't the same thing as actual Virtue.

Indeed, Virtue Signalling is either an attempt to achieve Moral Supremacy or an indicator that the person in question cares far too much about what others think of them.

Then I have to wonder, though, if pointing that out is a virtue signal in and of itself.

Why do I do this to myself? :expressionless:

because it's the internet, and nothing we say is going to matter. don't overthink it or you'll end up not communicating with anyone for fear of being misinterpreted.

That's true about how nothing we say is going to matter, but if you knew me you'd be laughing at the next part. I'm like Brie Larson; I couldn't shut-up to save my own movie! :lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist
    • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
      Saw Alita a couple of days ago, got talked into going by a friend. Thought it was quite good......it was refreshing to see a movie devoid of identity politics for once.

The whining from NPCs triggered because Alita is too feminine is gravy. As far as Captain Woke AF I might watch it if/when it hits Netflix.
    • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
      azrael605 wrote: »
      > @jrdobbsjr#3264 said:
      > Saw Alita a couple of days ago, got talked into going by a friend. Thought it was quite good......it was refreshing to see a movie devoid of identity politics for once.
      >
      > The whining from NPCs triggered because Alita is too feminine is gravy. As far as Captain Woke AF I might watch it if/when it hits Netflix.

I have no earthly clue what you are talking about. I'm not interested in Alita because I'm not a big anime fan (outside of Ranma and Vampire Hunter D), and I've never been interested in the originals. As for Brie, having looked up her actual words, I have no more issue with it than if Graham Greene had spoken of wanting more Native inclusion, despite propaganda Brie didn't denigrate anyone that I can find.

I don't think he was referring to you, Az.
    • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      I have no earthly clue what you are talking about. I'm not interested in Alita because I'm not a big anime fan (outside of Ranma and Vampire Hunter D), and I've never been interested in the originals. As for Brie, having looked up her actual words, I have no more issue with it than if Graham Greene had spoken of wanting more Native inclusion, despite propaganda Brie didn't denigrate anyone that I can find.

Technically, Alita was originally a manga not an anime. There is a two episode OVA of Alita from 1993 which is essentially a Direct to Video Anime, but that is it. Not being a big anime fan is not a good enough reason to not see it since there is nothing that screams anime in the Alita movie. The Uncanny Valley could be a reason to not see it since Alita is one of the only fully CGI characters in the movie.

Just watched Alita and Captain Marvel will have to be one of the best MCU movies to even be in the same league as Alita. Very few movies make me actually want to watch it when it first comes out since I use the cheap theater to watch movies that came out a few months ago. Nothing about Captain Marvel has impressed me enough to watch it when it first comes out.
    • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
      > @jrdobbsjr#3264 said:
      > Saw Alita a couple of days ago, got talked into going by a friend. Thought it was quite good......it was refreshing to see a movie devoid of identity politics for once.
      >
      > The whining from NPCs triggered because Alita is too feminine is gravy. As far as Captain Woke AF I might watch it if/when it hits Netflix.

As others have (correctly) pointed out.....I wasn't referring to you. If I had been, a quote from you would have been right above what I wrote so there would be no doubt whatsoever that you were the subject.

I'm not a big anime fan, though I did grow up watching Speed Racer and Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato), but I did quite like the movie. I can see why Cameron was so taken with the manga it was based on. In addition to the complete lack of presence of today's Culture Wars in the film, it was also nice to see a movie done by people who actually knew and cared for the subject material....that is rare these days. Hopefully the film will do well enough to get a sequel, I will definitely go watch it if that happens. As far as Captain Woke AF, the less said about that the better....it, and Larsen, are what I have come to expect from Disney. Why the suits at Disney spend fortunes on successful franchises only to actively purge the fan-base in the hopes of replacing them with a more acceptable to them is beyond me.
    • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
      Are we seriously now debating comic book runs and history? Cos if so: Ultimate Spider-Man was the best interpretation of that character, fact.

Also, trying to figure out when events happen in comics on a timeline is difficult. Going by publication dates, Peter Parker and MJ were married longer than their stated ages. Ultimate Spider-Man had Miles playing on an X-Box 360 when according to the concurrent events (Death of Spider-Man) it wouldn't even release for several years. Steve Rogers should be an elderly man living on an Army pension, etc. It's not worth getting worked up about.