test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Interesting theory on what could have been the future of STO post Victory is Life

1234568»

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,292 Community Moderator
    nixboox wrote: »
    No, really. The ship that took Sela was the firey Fek'Ihri Kar'Fi.
    Incorrect. The Obex was the original ship that kidnapped Sela until it was replaced by a Quas Cruiser in Season 10. There was never once a Fek'Ihri Kar'Fi in the mission.
    Iconians weren't in the game until the end of New Romulus. They weren't hinted at, they weren't mentioned and they weren't any kind of a theme.
    Also incorrect. The Iconians were mentioned all the way back in the game's launch

In the now removed State of Q mission, which was part of the game's launch
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_State_of_Q
    Q himself said that the "Demons of Air and Darkness", the nickname of the Iconians, sent the Borg back in time in that mission.

Likewise, the also now removed mission "A Light in the Dark"
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_A_Light_in_the_Dark
    released as part of STO Season 2 in 2010
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Season_Two:_Ancient_Enemies
    Had players find an Iconian Gateway in the Undine's Fludiic space, allowing us to discover it was the Iconians who were agitating the Undine.

Likewise, Iconian Gateways, Hakeev serving the Iconians, and Obesek talking about the "Demons of Air and Darkness" go back to that story arcs first release in February/March of 2011
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Cloaked_Intentions
    And this was 2 years before Legacy of Romulus

Iconians have been in the game since the beginning, you are clearly confused and misremembering.

That's literally what "retconned" means. Those were NOT part of the original episodes. All of that was edited in post season 7. That's why there is no Iconian content in any of the FE from before that time. And all references to "demons of air and darkness" were references to those Klingon ghost things.

I'm not arguing that the Iconians weren't something Cryptic had in mind but they were not in the game from the very beginning, not at all...

No. "Demons of Air and Darkness" is literally a reference to the Iconians taken from the TNG episode "Contagion" and has always referred to the Iconians in-game as well. The Iconians themselves haven't actually been in-game from the beginning, except for the appearance of the Obex, but they were always the big bad operating from the shadows since the beginning. The reason why there is no Iconian content in the FE is because those stories are tangent to the main Iconian driven storyline. Also, at that time, a design philosophy had not yet been established for the Iconians either. Why you are conflating the Iconians with the Fek'lhri is beyond me, as the Fek'lhri have had no appearances outside the Klingon-only content with the exception of The Big Dig until VIL launched.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Actually, it ceased to be interesting pages ago.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    How about the Borg assimilate the APUs....that would make for some interesting games.
    The Borg only assimilate technology they believe will bring them closer to perfection. APUs weren't useful technology, the Borg would have simply scrapped them for parts.
    Well, the Borg also assimilate tech/knowledge they want to study. This won't necessarily require them to assimilate an entire race, perhaps just 2-or 3 ships
    The Borg assimilate, they don't study. That was why Voyager formed an alliance with them against Species 8472...because the Borg couldn't assimilate them and couldn't adapt to them.
    Same thing. To study something is to learn about it. Assimilating things is how the Borg learn how they work on the inside. Seven mentioned that the Borg actually assimilated several pre-warp races to absorb their knowledge of Omega.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    I feel like Cryptic are going to want to keep STO as canon as possible - which is why we have very little of Kelvin in the game.

Canon has nothing to do with why we don't have much Kelvin Timeline stuff. Its licensing issues as Star Trek is split between two owners, CBS (TV and movies up to Nemesis) and Paramount (Kelvin Timeline movies).
    Also... Kelvin Timeline is Canon. Its just a branched off alternate reality, as identified in ST2009, and thus is its own entity running parallel to the Prime Timeline. The events in the Kelvin Timeline have no impact on STO. Only reason we had to go there was because the Sphere Builders were involved during the Temporal Arc.

The Devs have already said that they'd work in Picard stuff, but have also said that they would basically branch STO off if it conflicts significantly. You can't just retcon entire arcs as if they didn't exist like that "to keep it canon". Besides STO isn't official Canon anyways. What happens in game has no impact on anything CBS produces. Unless all of a sudden characters like that protestor on DS9 or my Trill main are now canon characters. If so... I kinda want Jewel Staite to play Captain Krystal Jade. B)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.