test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Idea for Missions

I don’t know if this is the correct forum
But I have a idea .

TOS missions for Klingons and Romulans , made just for Klingon and Romulans .
A set of missions/story line for them to were appropriate gear and ships is used on a shared galaxy map that’s dedicated to the TOS series .

I can’t be the only TOS fanboy .
We are the Borg , Resistance is Futile , be assimilated, thinking differently is forbidden !

Comments

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    This should go into the FCT thread.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    mefit1 wrote: »
    STO isn’t Cannon so it doesn’t matter

Actually it does matter. Because in order to tell a consistant story, you need background on the faction. And with factions as iconic as the Klingons and Romulans, people will call out mistakes.

We could get away with making the Romulan Republic because we're set in the 25th Century, after the Hobus Supernova destroyed Romulus and wrecked the Star Empire.

We can't just do the same thing in the 23rd Century.

You want further proof? CBS is working on resolving newly spawned inconsistancies with the Klingons in Discovery. Season 1 deviated from what was known of the Klingons in ship design and appearance. Hardcore fans, some probably up to purist level, raged against it. Now we have them shifting the Klingons more towards what we saw in TOS, but we still have time to develop that. Hell... Discovery style Klingons with hair actually look better than without, lining up a bit more with the TNG style that was even brought in for most of Enterprise.

While STO is not canon itself, it still must respect established canon.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    I don’t know if this is the correct forum
    But I have a idea .

TOS missions for Klingons and Romulans , made just for Klingon and Romulans .

Hi OP. The problem with your idea is the specific part I quoted above. 70+% of the playerbase are Federation players, so it would be an extremely poor use of development resources to make missions that 70+% of their playerbase can't play.

They are no longer making faction exclusive missions (with the exception of "intro" missions for any new "fRactions") and are instead making missions that all 3 factions can play.

So while your idea isn't bad from a purely fan perspective, it would unfortunately be bad from a business perspective and isn't going to happen for that reason.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • kragtastkragtast Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    > @thegrandnagus1 said:
    > mefit1 wrote: »
    >
    > I don’t know if this is the correct forum
    > But I have a idea .
    >
    > TOS missions for Klingons and Romulans , made just for Klingon and Romulans .
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi OP. The problem with your idea is the specific part I quoted above. 70+% of the playerbase are Federation players, so it would be an extremely poor use of development resources to make missions that 70+% of their playerbase can't play.
    >
    > They are no longer making faction exclusive missions (with the exception of "intro" missions for any new "fRactions") and are instead making missions that all 3 factions can play.
    >
    > So while your idea isn't bad from a purely fan perspective, it would unfortunately be bad from a business perspective and isn't going to happen for that reason.

This is a very, VERY poor excuse for why this shouldn't happen. Content developed is content developed for all players and I'd be very curious where this magical statistic came from because I see just as many instances of players sitting outside Qo'nos as I do outside ESD. It isn't a waste of time providing content for factions that you don't personally play.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Cryptic has lots of Klingon and Stories for a TOS Klingon and Romulans story line just from the TOS live action and cartoon alone .

Cartoon content is on a case by case basis with CBS. TOS really only had a couple episodes involving Romulans. Klingons got more attention, but even then it was all military based, and antagonistic. We don't really start fleshing out what they're like when they're not opposing Kirk until at least the movie era.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    edited February 2019
    It's nice to maybe speculate and have fun with this sort of thing, but this isn't happening. And since this is looking like it's turning into an argument due to not understanding that fact... /Thread
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.