test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Borg Ships "playable"

2»

Comments

• asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I would not mind if we could get a Borg cooperative faction maybe as part of a delta quad faction if it were to happen, but getting anything close to a collective Borg an ships I think would not be worth it. Some of the issues with Borg ships like knowing what direction you are flying could be fixed via a ui overlay that points out the forward side of the ship allowing you to know also what weapon facing are oriented what different directions, could be dealt with now i think abit easier too.

Though I would much rather see them forgo the true Borg ships (cube, diamond, sphere, and such) an more go with bringing in some merely Borg-ified ships that trade some of their normal capacities (like ship type abilities, reduced stats, and/or even lower boff seats) to gain mechanics commonly attributed to the Borg. One thing I think that is getting to the end is interesting ways of building ships before having to up the tier of the ships come out. If they took existing ships an merely traded out some of the features of those ships to add in some different mechanics that might give more time before feeling they have to implement something like a tier upgrade. Think of it like what they have done with the different spec ships )like the mw, pilot, and command ships), but with the mechanics being potentially more impact needing more of a trade off to be balanced an this could be done with other things too.
  • stormbrigestormbrige Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    What about Borg skin on the ships as an option, along with the assimilated set.?
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Playable borg faction would just be another couple of tutorial missions before back to the same old same old, probably shoehorning daniels in for no real reason.

One way to avoid alienating LTS folk would be to give them a tac cube as the vet ship but given that the jems still don't have any vet stuff that's a BIG stretch.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Only Borg ship that would really make sense as playable would probably be the Cooperative Flagship, with the Probe as a close second, due to the fact that they kinda have defined fronts. All other Borg ships... players would get lost too easily trying to figure out which way they're facing.

Also... Plasma is already claimed by playable Romulans for native damage type. All playable factions have a native damage type, and the only two not claimed are Tetryon and Antiproton.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited March 2019
    In canon the Romulans actually used disruptors, but I guess the STO devs wanted to make them more unique and gave them plasma instead. They could've given them their own kind of disruptors and make plasma more of a rep or lockbox weapon, but they instead reintroduced disruptors to Romulans as rep weapons.
    Actually... its the Romulan REPUBLIC that uses plasma. The Star Empire still uses Disruptors.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Only Borg ship that would really make sense as playable would probably be the Cooperative Flagship, with the Probe as a close second, due to the fact that they kinda have defined fronts. All other Borg ships... players would get lost too easily trying to figure out which way they're facing.

Also... Plasma is already claimed by playable Romulans for native damage type. All playable factions have a native damage type, and the only two not claimed are Tetryon and Antiproton.

Would they though? I mean of course but in SFC3 they had a playable Borg faction and you could fly anything up to and including a Borg Cube. (Of course can't seem to find any gameplay of the Borg on YT)

With this image you can see there is a indicator where the front of your ship is and which way it is turning if you turn....so if they could add something like this to STO you could tell where the front if your ship is facing.

maxresdefault.jpg
    I'm familiar with the SFC games. However a better comparison would be to use Star Trek Legacy. There are playable Borg ships in skirmish mode in that game... but there is no indicator as to which way you're facing, just like in STO.
    I once tried to fly a Tac Cube because "Why not?" I had absolutely NO idea where I was going and was totally reliant on my weapon arcs to kill the enemy as most of the time I didn't even know if I was looking at the front, back or side of my ship. And going up or down? LOL! No orientation shift. It was just slide up or down. Which based on all but the Probe NPC, is the norm for Borg ships in STO.
    edited March 2019
    Actually... its the Romulan REPUBLIC that uses plasma. The Star Empire still uses Disruptors.
    It really doesn't make sense that they would even use their own type since their technology is pretty much borrowed from them, they have to focus more on rebuilding and that would already be too costly for them to research and provide new weapon types.

avoozuul wrote: »
    It really doesn't make sense that they would even use their own type since their technology is pretty much borrowed from them, they have to focus on rebuilding and that would already be too costly for them to research and provide new weapon types.

From an in universe perspective maybe. Unless Plasma is cheeper to work with than Disruptors, then it would be an economic smart move by D'Tan as it would require less resources to build and maintain for a fledgeling power like the Republic. It also sets them apart from the Star Empire.

Gameplay wise... Disruptor was already claimed by the Klingons and each faction has a native damage type. Plasma was more fitting than Tetryon, Polaron, or Antiproton.
    edited March 2019
    It really doesn't make sense that they would even use their own type since their technology is pretty much borrowed from them, they have to focus on rebuilding and that would already be too costly for them to research and provide new weapon types.
    Gameplay wise... Disruptor was already claimed by the Klingons and each faction has a native damage type. Plasma was more fitting than Tetryon, Polaron, or Antiproton.
    Yes, I already said "but I guess the STO devs wanted to make them more unique and gave them plasma instead." ;)
    From an in universe perspective maybe. Unless Plasma is cheeper to work with than Disruptors, then it would be an economic smart move by D'Tan as it would require less resources to build and maintain for a fledgeling power like the Republic. It also sets them apart from the Star Empire.
    Well I wasn't aware that plasma was an already available and cheaper weapon type.

Just covering the bases. B)
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Say NO to playable borg ships.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    It would seem to me to be simple: make Borg ships playable, and for those who cannot get used to the movement, there are other, more traditional ships to play. Of course, I'm not a developer so my opinion matters not, but STO, once upon a time, didn't cater to the least common denominator, and that's what made the game brilliant. The complexity of the game was an attraction. Sure, anyone could play, but very few could, and have, mastered the game.

Let there always be one more hurdle for players to overcome. Challenge is what makes us rise to the occasion. Without it we're doomed to mediocrity.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    If they make a playable Borg faction, they better not force my existing Borg into it. If I want a Borg Cooperative character, I'll make one.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    If they make a playable Borg faction, they better not force my existing Borg into it. If I want a Borg Cooperative character, I'll make one.

This is a very logical point. Forcing players to change their characters is not the same as allowing players to choose a new ship style.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    Ick Zombie thread is zombie

and NO
    Spock.jpg

Ick Zombie thread is zombie

Actually it was JUST inside of necro. It hadn't been 30 days yet.
    and NO

And I generally agree. No Borg ships.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Q9Gc0Gv.jpg
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    It really doesn't make sense that they would even use their own type since their technology is pretty much borrowed from them, they have to focus more on rebuilding and that would already be too costly for them to research and provide new weapon types.

Aquired and modified by the Ferengi??
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
This discussion has been closed.