test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DIS Enterprise - latest weekly stream, how will we get it?

Comments

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Regardless of whether it is a Lockbox or R&D Promo Ship, I already own it. ;)

As do myself....but for each of us who own it, there are a LOT more who do not.

And the comic book guy wannabes on exchange, as I said, are probably licking their lips in anticipation for another item they can post on the exchange for 1 and a half billion.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    If the ship's size is different than the TOS Connie variants, it has to be a new ship. And it is unlikely to not become a Promo or Lockbox ship. Don't get your hopes up for anything easier/cheaper to get than that.

The big drawback for whales like me, that also value customization options, is that it will likely be a stand-alone ship with no alternate costume parts. Which makes it less attractive. Maybe there is a chance they mix the Mirror-modified Constitution we only saw a a wireframe and the Prime Discovery Constitution, but that's not really much.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Well your tone here isn't exactly constructive .

Doesn't matter. They'll not stop the leaching boxes so there's no need for constructive dialogue. The ship has warped out for canon, prime, Starfleet ships to be guaranteed for zen.

To be honest I don't care we have to pay stupid amounts of money for Mirror ships, Kelvin Timeline ships (ships from the actual timeline but not the film series, the Kelvin would have to be C-Store as it's Prime) or future ships (or Devron Timeline ships like the Galaxy X but for stupid reasons that's C-Store despite not being Prime).

But to sell the NX, Crossfield, Walker, and Constitution in those packs is grievous to me.
    Just IMO, but I think it will be in it's own box (likely promotion) due to the silly size increase it has over the TOS and TMP Connies. Basically the same as the JJprise.

The TOS Conni is the same size as the DSC Conni. You can see it's MSD in ENT. The TMP Conni is the length of the Excelsiors nacelles and the Excelsior is about as long as a Galaxy as seen in TNG which makes it about the same size as the TOS and DSC Connis.
    The KT Conni is shorter than the TOS/DSC Conni (by about 100m) as it can be scaled from it's cutaways and windows from the films.

The sizes STO uses for the KT and TOS Connis are not canon but based on non-canon BtS material so there's no reason for it to use the canonical onscreen size of the DSC Conni either and can downsize it to the common fanfiction size they use for the TOS one.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    Hope they offer a straight pylon choice, like the original intended disco design was...
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    vampeiyre wrote: »
    Cryptic isn't likely to try to double dip in the most extreme way I think they possibly can (ie. completely separate promo ship.)

I'll take that bet.

That is exactly what I think they will do.

Why? I think I know exactly what you're line of reasoning will be but I just want to get it out there so the above can be put into full context.

Salazarraze and Seaofsorrows are correct.

The Discovery Connie will arrive one of two ways:

1. AT BEST (Debatably best anyway) it'll be a new skin for the existing R&D Connie.

2.) It'll be like the Sheshar or T6 Bug, a new spec-seat variant of the Temporal Light Cruiser, which will be R&D promo-locked.

Anyone expecting otherwise is fooling themselves. Either start saving your Quatloos now, or prepare to be disappointed in the future. But whatever you do, don't play dumb and TRIBBLE & moan when the inevitable occurs in March.

2 predates unified promo boxes and doesn't cover the case of a new skin (a la TMP refit and the 2nd set of TOS constitution parts.) In terms of design (never mind the ridiculous nature of reducing business in a F2P ecosystem supported by player willingness to spend money they literally don't need to, to a one dimensional quest of maximizing the bottom line in the strictly short term) a DSC connie as separate from the current promo has a major problem.

What exactly does the DSC have that the current one doesn't?

The skin, but in following with all the other aspects of the double bill it would have the SAME console and traits but differ in specialization. In terms of marketing that's rather pathetic if the argument is that players should own both. Neither the Sheshar and Strike/Recon ships were designed with that intention, during their promos players had an equal choice between variants and the only differed in their spec powers.

Wiki: https://sto.gamepedia.com/Promotion!_-_Research_&_Development_Pack

Thus it's a false analogy which fails to justify the assertion we have in front of us. The factors which justified double listings in the current promo are not the factors that would propel cryptic to restricting the DSC skin to a new ship (and for that to maintain a double bill, it would have to have NOTHING ELSE but the DSC skin otherwise it serves as a direct functional replacement [only while stuffing current connie owners for funsies, motivation for staying in business being replaced with schadenfreude.]) And in that case, they're also stuffing those who buy the DSC connie without its TMP/TOS counterpart (cutting the legs out form under the new promotion. "Hey guys, you'll need to luck out TWICE for this thing to do what you think it should. Give us all your money, sincerely Cryptic.") Indeed, if it followed the same model then the new skin would also be unlocked for existing T6 constitution as well as the new promo in maintaining parity between spec choices (ie. the gameplay element central to the old double bills. Inject other facets and its no longer empowering players to make a choice between spec flavors. This also includes traits and consoles, those would also undermine the central aspect of spec choice.) Thus the suggestion can at best be said to ONLY relate to those spec choices per plausible mechanics and historical precedent. Maybe they release a second spec variant when the time comes, maybe they don't (it would just be extra work for them), but that discussion doesn't relate directly to skin choice (except by demagoguery, playing to player fears.)

And at this point, its' worth asking why restrict the DSC to T6? Customization parts aren't the main draw of the end-game variants and they would certainly benefit in the Age of Discovery from marketing something like a T1-T4 constitution class for starting DSC players (and folks generally) which points to the promo without usurping its position. If Cryptic double dips, that's the route I think they'll go. Restricting to a 2nd promo connie is, IMO, is alt-fact nonsense which misinterprets historical precedent on the one hand (sheshar and bug) while ignoring others (TMP and beta TOS) to arrive at a very conveniently supported position. If Cryptic goes off the wall they could still follow along never the less (insanity knows no bounds), but with where the evidence points to now that's a remote possibility (if it can even be considered as one at present.)

And that is ultimately why I asked you guys to elaborate, bad ideas find cover in ambiguity. ;)
    artan42 wrote: »
    Well your tone here isn't exactly constructive .

Doesn't matter. They'll not stop the leaching boxes so there's no need for constructive dialogue. The ship has warped out for canon, prime, Starfleet ships to be guaranteed for zen. ​​

Constructive dialog might help you here. The Constitution class was specifically omitted from TNG, DS9, VOY, and the TNG movies. It has no place in the setting of STO as a mainstay of the FED. Hence promo box. If not that, lock box. See. the FCT's up until the release of the T6 promo connie. It's wasn't justified per canon and that was built into the game from launch. Well before the game went F2P and well before it adopted its first lock box, STO respected its source material and kept an end-game Connie out of player's hands. What did it do eventually? Find a compromise. I can appreciate being frustrated with the limitations on that, but tossing out both respectful discourse AND considerations for the IP aren't justifiable (both reinforce said frustration and prevent reconciliation.)
    Hope they offer a straight pylon choice, like the original intended disco design was...

There's always the TOS pylons to play with. ;)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Constructive dialog might help you here. The Constitution class was specifically omitted from TNG, DS9, VOY, and the TNG movies. It has no place in the setting of STO as a mainstay of the FED. Hence promo box. If not that, lock box. See. the FCT's up until the release of the T6 promo connie. It's wasn't justified per canon and that was built into the game from launch. Well before the game went F2P and well before it adopted its first lock box, STO respected its source material and kept an end-game Connie out of player's hands. What did it do eventually? Find a compromise. I can appreciate being frustrated with the limitations on that, but tossing out both respectful discourse AND considerations for the IP aren't justifiable (both reinforce said frustration and prevent reconciliation.)

No. It wasn't ingame because CBS didn't want everybody flying one to preserve the iconic status of the original Starship. Same reason we can't have android characters. Nothing to do with canonical justifications. Cryptic runs a Star Trek theme park and will happily introduce anything that will make them money because that's the point of their business so once CBS saw the leaching boxes they were evidently sated enough because rarity was maintained and Cryptic still generates money.
    Cryptic will not stop locking things behind gambling devices and CBS will not change their stance on protecting the exclusivity of their IP.
    Since the Ent J ended up in the promo box it's clearly not just a dump slot for exclusive material so the DSC Conni skin will most likely end up there because it's arguably more of a draw than even the Crossfield.

There is no discussion, constructive or otherwise. Cryptic will not change this so there can be only complaints, which is what I'm providing.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Well @duncanidaho11, that's quite a wall-of-text of fallacious reasoning and false logic. Fortunately, it doesn't require a wall-of-text response.

My assertions, which I stand by, were thus:

1. AT BEST (Debatably best anyway) it'll be a new skin for the existing R&D Connie.

2.) It'll be like the Sheshar or T6 Bug, a new spec-seat variant of the Temporal Light Cruiser, which will be R&D promo-locked.

Cryptic is often lazy. If they go the lazy route, the new Connie will be just more skin options for the existing R&D promo ship.

Historical Precedent, Cryptic's past behavior in other words, is irrelevant. They swore for six years there would never be a T6 Connie. Then in 2016, they gave us two, released within six months of each other no less. There was much rejoicing, I bought both.

Look at Cryptic's recent behavior, the precedent they've recently set: Every Disco hero ship is behind the Lobi & lockbox wall. Pair that with the fact that the Constitution Class is the biggest cash cow in Star Trek's IP, there is no way in hell Cryptic is going to make a scaling T1-T4 ship for $20 in the C-store that every casual could get by fine with, as easy as PVE in this game is, when they can continue to force people to pay $200 for a guarantee of getting it through selling keys and R&D boxes.

My gut tells me Cryptic (Perfect World I think is really responsible IMHO) will be greedy and make a second R&D promo spec-seat variant ship. That way, whales and completists will be tempted to spend more money if they already have the ship.

If I turn out to be wrong, you get to say "I told you so" all day long and I won't complain, though I'm quite confident one of my two theories will prove to be correct. Cryptic will walk the path of laziness or greed.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • detheaterdetheater Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    If I had to guess, based on the tendencies of Cryptic, I would bet that the ship will be released as a new R&D promo ship called the Mirror Constitution. It will include maybe, pilot/intel or temporal spec seating and be the ONLY way to get the mirror skin for the Connie (yellow markings etc...) and the ONLY way to get the I.S.S. designation for the Connie.

This will make it another "must have" ship for whales and give them a large amount of income and systematic EC removal for the same ship with only slight tweaking. Win, win, FOR CRYPTIC.

The only other option I could see is releasing it as a leveling ship like the Walker-lite. This way it doesn't interfere with the T6 sales, but then they will have to contend with the outcry of those who already own the T1 & T2 versions of the Connie.

No matter how they do it, I think it is fairly safe to bet that it won't be a T6 c-store or lobi ship.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, the CBGC©®™ (Comic Book Guy Consortium) has lost some of their most prominent members over the last year. :)

Here is some secret footage of one of their meetings. ;)

https://youtu.be/_ZI_aEalijE
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    detheater wrote: »
    If I had to guess, based on the tendencies of Cryptic, I would bet that the ship will be released as a new R&D promo ship called the Mirror Constitution. It will include maybe, pilot/intel or temporal spec seating and be the ONLY way to get the mirror skin for the Connie (yellow markings etc...) and the ONLY way to get the I.S.S. designation for the Connie.

Except this isn't a mirror ship. So while I agree it will most certainly be R&D pack, it is called the Discovery Constitution (possibly "variant"). Other games have already released this ship and that is what it is called.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    vampeiyre wrote: »

Cryptic is often lazy. If they go the lazy route, the new Connie will be just more skin options for the existing R&D promo ship.
    That wouldn't be the lazy route. Making a stand-alone ship is almost certainly easier than making a ship where you have to fit the costume parts to pre-existing ones. And also probably more lucrative. since it would need to be acquired seperately, be it C-Store, Lockbox, Lobi, Promo or whatever.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    If the ship's size is different than the TOS Connie variants, it has to be a new ship.
    I still say it's 50/50. Ships in STO clearly aren't exactly to scale and sizing retcons throughout Star Trek history mean that this above quote won't likely be a consideration. Cryptic's decision will only be based on money IMO.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Cryptic's decision will only be based on money IMO.

While I agree in general, in this case what is actually more important is what CBS allows them to do. If CBS says this is in fact the *same* ship from TOS, just a refit (like TMP), then CBS may not allow them to make it a separate ship in game. But if CBS leaves it up to them, then obviously they will just pick whatever they feel will make the most money.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @smokebailey said:
    > ltminns wrote: »
    >
    > Regardless of whether it is a Lockbox or R&D Promo Ship, I already own it. ;)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > As do myself....but for each of us who own it, there are a LOT more who do not.
    >
    > And the comic book guy wannabes on exchange, as I said, are probably licking their lips in anticipation for another item they can post on the exchange for 1 and a half billion.

Are you back on that delusional conspiracy TRIBBLE again?

Blah,blah,blah.

The folks who sell those RD ships sell em for over a billion....fact
    Therefore, they are probably giddy as schoolchildren on xmas eve, waiting for Santa to show up, for they got another possible item to have other players fight over like hunger dogs over a chunk of meat.

Same here if said ship will be RD or even lockbox.

Soooo, I think this video can cover the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vca05IIv7KM
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

There is no discussion, constructive or otherwise. Cryptic will not change this so there can be only complaints, which is what I'm providing.​​

Bet your a lotta fun at a firing squad.

*giggle*
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

There is no discussion, constructive or otherwise. Cryptic will not change this so there can be only complaints, which is what I'm providing.

Bet your a lotta fun at a firing squad.

Have you often tried negotiating with a firing squad?​​

#TASforSTO

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    It will be an scalable ship, intended fot T6 like the Walker, either lobi or a new variant of the Temporal Light cruiser, like a second option when you unpack it. Anyway, i'll get it, its the first Connie i like beside the Exceter skin, my T6 light cruiser uses the Exceter skin with the Discovery visuals for the same reason.
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Oh, the scalpers are probably licking their lips right about now..... >_>;;

Success shouldn't be punished or sneered at. It takes more than one person to close a deal on a transaction. And it's on the buyer to decide how much he or she is willing to pay. If too pricey for their wallet, someone else is bound to snatch it up. ;)
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Maybe it will be called something like the Discovery Exploration Light Cruiser to get around the "No endgame Constitution" designation, as a promotional release ship. Would you rather have that, or the Golden Nandi Debacle pop up again? I have no problem if people want to conduct business to sell it for 1.5 billion EC. I have no problem if people are willing to spend the currency to acquire one. It's not all that difficult to make that kind of money. A key a day for a year gets you around the funds to gain one. That's ONE key. Or a whole what...38,750 refined dilithium a day at most, with current prices? Depending on how much you want it, depends on how many pylons you are willing to fire up to reach your goals, and how quickly. Or however else you want to make your EC. If I wanted the ship, I would work for it, earn it.

Off-topic political comment redacted, per Community Rules and Policies. -- WingedHussar
    Post edited by wingedhussar#7584 on
    > @kellmg96#5851 said:
    > ltminns wrote: »
    >
    > 100
    >
    >
    >
    > 0.o
    >
    > 100 what?

In @azreal605 post above he stated 1000 R&D Packs, it is 100. He's edited it already.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    You've actually got it backwards there. The folks that BUY them buy them for over a billion. If they weren't worth a billion, players wouldn't pay a billion for them.

Why aren't people paying a billion for fortune cookie tribbles? Because they aren't worth anywhere near that much. The laws of supply and demand have set the price in both the case of the fortune cookie tribble and promo ships.

When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    You've actually got it backwards there. The folks that BUY them buy them for over a billion. If they weren't worth a billion, players wouldn't pay a billion for them.

Why aren't people paying a billion for fortune cookie tribbles? Because they aren't worth anywhere near that much. The laws of supply and demand have set the price in both the case of the fortune cookie tribble and promo ships.

Given the value of the other things in the boxes, they are worth just about a billion. And have been right around that price point for a while now, I've seen them for under a billion in fact although this last time the price point went up a bit.

Anyone paying 1.5 Billion for a ship has more money than sense.
This discussion has been closed.