Install Arc

Picard Series Predictions

Comments

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @mirrorchaos said:
    > reyan01 wrote: »
    >
    > Jonathan Frakes states that Jean-Luc Picard is no longer with Starfleet.
    > Quote "Patrick isn’t playing Capt. Jean-Luc Picard this time, he’s done with Starfleet in this show. That’s about the only thing I do know about the show. Patrick and I had a steak dinner a couple of weeks ago and this man, who I’ve known for 31 years now, is so excited about this show he’s like a little kid. It’s fabulous! He’s thrilled and excited to be invited into the writer’s room and he’s a producer on the show and he’s part of the development of the story arc. It’s terrific. I mean he is a guy who is fully engaged."
    >
    > (https://deadline.com/2019/01/star-trek-discovery-jonathan-frakes-goes-back-to-the-future-finds-starfleets-past-1202541300/?fbclid=IwAR1dNaOH3uU5KDMasw0rPB_6noFUzbeN4fTnh-8lz45o4rC9KfcRiVGoAHQ
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The problem i have with what Frakes mentioned is that it is far too soon in development to be certain of anything just yet and i doubt even Frakes would deliberately spoil the storyline and then there is the comment about not knowing what became of the Enterprise crew after the Reman incident.
    >
    > I'm not convinced on what Frakes is saying is true, not at this stage. I think he is trying to do a GoT styled hype and deflection. :tongue:

Too early? The writers room was reported to have finished the scripts for 8 episodes with more coming a month ago, filming is due to start in less than 3 months. I have no doubt that Frakes is at the least directing an episode or 2 so I'd say its very likely that he has already seen a few scripts.

First i need proof that the writers are infact done with the scripts and then i will let it be. For now however, yes i consider it too early to know for sure how things are going to be. Scripts can be changed at a later date during filming if something doesn't work out as expected, in fact a whole scene and act could be rewritten if needed.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    ryuranger wrote: »
    I think a lot of you missing the point its not gonna Deal with the events of Star Trek Nemesis in the Star Trek countdown comic for Kelvin Universe (witch is actually Considered to be Cannon) Set Picard as an Ambassador to Vulcan and I think its gonna Start right after the Events of countdown

What we have heard about the new Picard series is that it is set 20 years after Nemesis or is set in 2399 depending on which source is used. Of course, both are the same year and is 12 years after Countdown and the destruction of Romulus.
    Or that it's set 20 years after TNG, which would make it ten years after Nemesis. Again, it's down to which source is used.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    Hey, my predictions are reliable! I have a 100% accuracy rating. In that, I have been wrong 100% of the time when I make predictions...
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    brian334 wrote: »
    Well, we don't know what canon for the Picard Show is going to be yet, so declaring a particular bit of lore non-canon is a bit premature. We do know that Red Matter is canon, as well as the destruction of Romulus, which occurred in the Prime, prompting Nero and Spock(P) to enter the Alternate Reality known as the Kelvin Timeline.

It's not premature, it's consistent. The only material in Countdown that's canon are the bits that made it into 09. I.e. the only bits in a film or TV show (film in this case).

The Picard show is not a reboot so it is set in the same canon as the rest of the franchise unless CBS decide otherwise.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    > ryuranger wrote: »
    >
    > I think a lot of you missing the point its not gonna Deal with the events of Star Trek Nemesis in the Star Trek countdown comic for Kelvin Universe (witch is actually Considered to be Cannon) Set Picard as an Ambassador to Vulcan and I think its gonna Start right after the Events of countdown
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What we have heard about the new Picard series is that it is set 20 years after Nemesis or is set in 2399 depending on which source is used. Of course, both are the same year and is 12 years after Countdown and the destruction of Romulus.

> @mirrorchaos said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > > @mirrorchaos said:
    > > reyan01 wrote: »
    > >
    > > Jonathan Frakes states that Jean-Luc Picard is no longer with Starfleet.
    > > Quote "Patrick isn’t playing Capt. Jean-Luc Picard this time, he’s done with Starfleet in this show. That’s about the only thing I do know about the show. Patrick and I had a steak dinner a couple of weeks ago and this man, who I’ve known for 31 years now, is so excited about this show he’s like a little kid. It’s fabulous! He’s thrilled and excited to be invited into the writer’s room and he’s a producer on the show and he’s part of the development of the story arc. It’s terrific. I mean he is a guy who is fully engaged."
    > >
    > > (https://deadline.com/2019/01/star-trek-discovery-jonathan-frakes-goes-back-to-the-future-finds-starfleets-past-1202541300/?fbclid=IwAR1dNaOH3uU5KDMasw0rPB_6noFUzbeN4fTnh-8lz45o4rC9KfcRiVGoAHQ
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > The problem i have with what Frakes mentioned is that it is far too soon in development to be certain of anything just yet and i doubt even Frakes would deliberately spoil the storyline and then there is the comment about not knowing what became of the Enterprise crew after the Reman incident.
    > >
    > > I'm not convinced on what Frakes is saying is true, not at this stage. I think he is trying to do a GoT styled hype and deflection. :tongue:
    >
    > Too early? The writers room was reported to have finished the scripts for 8 episodes with more coming a month ago, filming is due to start in less than 3 months. I have no doubt that Frakes is at the least directing an episode or 2 so I'd say its very likely that he has already seen a few scripts.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > First i need proof that the writers are infact done with the scripts and then i will let it be. For now however, yes i consider it too early to know for sure how things are going to be. Scripts can be changed at a later date during filming if something doesn't work out as expected, in fact a whole scene and act could be rewritten if needed.

Well unless Kurtzman is lying to CBS then the proof is already out there.

Here he details the story is set after the destruction of Romulus.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/01/08/star-trek-picard-show-to-deal-with-event-that-radically-altered-galaxy-tng-guest-stars-a-possibility/

Here he makes the statement about 8 scripts so far.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/12/10/alex-kurtzman-star-trek-picard-series-will-be-extremely-different-from-discovery/

So like I said unless he is lying to his bosses and heading for a firing we are way past the "early" stages.

The links will do.

I also i don't care for the way you presented this reply: "unless Kurtzman is lying" which all but accuses me of saying everyone is lying which i haven't stated, not even once. I said that i'm not convinced Frakes knew i didn't say he was lying.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Some new details, they are talking now like 3 seasons at least, the show will be more grounded and character based then discovery.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/02/04/patrick-stewart-says-star-trek-picard-series-is-set-up-to-run-three-seasons/
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    discovery is already heavily character-based...only problem is, it's mainly based around ONE character that a good majority of people can't stand

picard at least should do better in that regard​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    And that minority really ought to keep watching. The second episode of this season, "New Eden", IMO felt more like TOS than anything I've seen since '69, and the third episode, "Point of Light", wouldn't have been that out of place in TNG.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I'm hoping for more of Dina Meyer as Donatra. :D Maybe STO will eventually be able to have Dina as Lib-Borg Donatra. :p

Toreth might be nice to see in the new show.

I'd be happy to see Nevala again. :p I'm not particularly picky really.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited February 2019
    jonsills wrote: »
    And that minority really ought to keep watching. The second episode of this season, "New Eden", IMO felt more like TOS than anything I've seen since '69, and the third episode, "Point of Light", wouldn't have been that out of place in TNG.

I noticed the first episode of season 2 has actually received an official free release to YouTube. Is that a good place to start, or will I be lost having not watched the first season?
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

I noticed the first episode of season 2 has actually received an official free release to YouTube. Is that a good place to start, or will I be lost having not watched the first season?

Watching the Season 2 Premiere would be a good place to start. Might miss out on the character backstory from Stamets and the main characters of the Klingon storyline in the Point of Light episode (Ash, Georgiou, and L'Rell), but that is it. There is little character development in Season 1 besides the characters I have mentioned. Although, Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad is a necessity to watch. Lots of us have problems with Season 1, but Season 2 has been good so far.
    > @starkaos said:
    > alexmakepeace wrote: »
    >
    > jonsills wrote: »
    >
    > And that minority really ought to keep watching. The second episode of this season, "New Eden", IMO felt more like TOS than anything I've seen since '69, and the third episode, "Point of Light", wouldn't have been that out of place in TNG.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I noticed the first episode of season 2 has actually received an official free release to YouTube. Is that a good place to start, or will I be lost having not watched the first season?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Watching the Season 2 Premiere would be a good place to start. Might miss out on the character backstory from Stamets and the main characters of the Klingon storyline in the Point of Light episode (Ash, Georgiou, and L'Rell), but that is it. There is little character development in Season 1 besides the characters I have mentioned. Although, Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad is a necessity to watch. Lots of us have problems with Season 1, but Season 2 has been good so far.

I agree while season one had it's moments, season 2 is far, far better.
    Cool, cool. So you're going to stop claiming you know what the show's like, then?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    > @jonsills said:
    > Cool, cool. So you're going to stop claiming you know what the show's like, then?

I seriously doubt he even watched one episode, most certainly he hasn't been right about anything so far.
    He claimed to have been forcibly exposed to it by having a room mate watch while he was in the room. :p So yeah, prob didn't actually hear half the dialog or see most of the action.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    > @jonsills said:
    > Cool, cool. So you're going to stop claiming you know what the show's like, then?

I seriously doubt he even watched one episode, most certainly he hasn't been right about anything so far.
    He claimed to have been forcibly exposed to it by having a room mate watch while he was in the room. :p So yeah, prob didn't actually hear half the dialog or see most of the action.
    Well, he certainly missed Burnham's speech to the Admiral in the finale (which I finally got around to last week - life, you know). He's repeatedly claimed that Burnham never learned anything from her experience and never repented, and that's not what came out of her when she was rallying the crew to shut down Cornwell's Qo'noS-killing project that Georgiou had sold the admiral on.

Then again, he also thinks they have only one writer and one director, so...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    https://youtu.be/ojtX_Oz4WsU

One major qibble I have with what Midnights Edge says is that Star Trek wasn't a multiverse until the liciencing deal that created the Kelvin Timeline, but it was.

TOS had the Mirror Universe, TNG had Parrell Universes and the Q Continuum, DS9 had more Mirror Universe and a baby universe, Voyager had Fluidic Space and that universe that Harry Kim visited and then faked his own death to escape from. And that doesn't include soft canon sources like books and comics.

So the Star Trek Multiversal nature predates the Kelvin Timeline changes and any agreements related to that.

This video also begs the question who decides what is canon for Star Trek? Licience agreements or the actual owners of Star Trek? Fans? Midnight's Edge?
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    i would not be putting the continuum and fluidic space as separate universes - they seem more like dimensions within the prime star trek universe...though, in the case of the continuum, given what inhabits it, it's probably a multiversal singularity (to borrow a transformers term), i. e. no matter what universe you enter it from, there's only ONE continuum, period​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Midnight's Edge has put out many videos regarding various aspects of Star Trek.

All of them have been wrong. I wouldn't waste my time there, were I you.

(Oh, and what is "canon" is specifically the purview of CBS Entertainment and Paramount. Basically, if it's on screen, it's canon, and if it comes from the writers or producers, it's Word of God, which is a sort of lower-level canon that can be overridden later.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »

Some people here seem to be very much into self punishment. Midnight's Edge is the definition of "fake news" in the Trek world.

I recently realized that the term fake news is kinda fake itself.

Fake news, if you hear the word, seems to modify the "news" aspect, like claiming "Water is wet" and writing an article about it in a newspaper. "Water is wet" might be true, but it's not news.

People use the term "fake news", implying "wrong news": What was told in the news isn't true, like if someone was saying "The Sun is orbiting Earth's Moon."
    But in truth, often the so called "fake news" are in fact news, and tell true stories as well, like saying. "Evolution is the change in the characteristics of a species over several generations and relies on the process of natural selection" (note, this isn't news, we've known this for a while). However, the true story does not fit someone's preconceived notion, his or her agenda or general preferences, and thus get labeled as "fake news":

Midnight's Edge isn't "fake news". It's just often factually wrong, or, failing that, often speculation with no sufficient basis in facts.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User

Some people here seem to be very much into self punishment. Midnight's Edge is the definition of "fake news" in the Trek world.

is Picard the same Picard from the TNG or not? if not... not fake news and so the vid IS spot on.

If CBS sold or licnesed ST to Disney and they do a crossover cause it's all the same... just SW takes place a long time ago in a different Galaxy but due to worm hole they can go back and forth between shows... is it all ok?

Canon is canon till some director or producer says it's not... then it is again if they feel like it... ie if they can make money off of it. You might as well say that the Original ST and the Movies were set in different universes... just look at the ship and uniforms... same for NextGen... parallel universes totally... just shared history... well some of it.
  • theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User

I recently realized that the term fake news is kinda fake itself.

Fake news, if you hear the word, seems to modify the "news" aspect, like claiming "Water is wet" and writing an article about it in a newspaper. "Water is wet" might be true, but it's not news.

People use the term "fake news", implying "wrong news": What was told in the news isn't true, like if someone was saying "The Sun is orbiting Earth's Moon."
    But in truth, often the so called "fake news" are in fact news, and tell true stories as well, like saying. "Evolution is the change in the characteristics of a species over several generations and relies on the process of natural selection" (note, this isn't news, we've known this for a while). However, the true story does not fit someone's preconceived notion, his or her agenda or general preferences, and thus get labeled as "fake news":

Midnight's Edge isn't "fake news". It's just often factually wrong, or, failing that, often speculation with no sufficient basis in facts.

Three Card Monty is a scam disguised as a game of chance. It's a "Fake Game." The same context applies to news. Assuming that the purpose of the news media is to keep the people informed ("The people have a right to know..."), but instead intentionally (demonstrably, even) keep people misinformed, then we have "Fake News."

The term works. Could it be more precise? Sure, but there is a reason that brevity is the soul of wit. As a tool to communicate the reputation, practices, intent, legitimacy, etc... of a news organization "Fake News" does the job. It does the job well, even.

Otherwise we're wasting time thinking, "Why use two words when twenty-five will do?"

Now if we apply the recognition of such confidence tricks to the franchise butchering Bad Robot and its personnel to the concept of Brevity is the Soul of Wit...

Well, the phrase, "Hack Factory," comes to mind.

Is Midnight's Edge a Hack Factory or Fake News? I couldn't tell you. I have yet to witness evidence pointing one way or the other.