test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Notes from the latest weekly livestream

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Enh could work, but... given the story we have it's more likely the Iconians killed the T'Kon.
    Why would the Iconians kill the T'kon? Especially since the T'kon Empire fell 400,000 years before the Iconian Empire fell, and thus before the Iconians went evil.
    Good question, why would anyone want to kill the T'Kon? Fact is... we have no idea. all we know is that apparently someone detonated their sun... much like Hobus.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    all we know is that apparently someone detonated their sun... much like Hobus.
    All we know is that their sun went nova, not that anyone triggered it.
    Actually, we know they were in the process of replacing their sun and that they had an estimation for when it would go but it went before then. It's not directly stated that it was intentionally triggered, but that seems most likely given what we do know.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    While I'm not sure they ever used them for ships, inflatable tanks and such are used by the military to mislead opponents. It's not that crazy an idea
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Also... how is that shield going to keep the user warm, let alone breathing?

While space is cold, it's also a vacuum and thus there's nothing to make you cold. It works like a thermos bottle more than anything else.

Breathing, that's a good question.
  • risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Going to Andromeda could be so awesome. Imagine having a whole Galaxy to explore.

We've spent so many seasons (like, they number in the hundreds of thousands depending on where you start considering the beginning of 'us') in the Milky Way galaxy and even here there's still plenty left to explore.

A storyline set in another, totally unexplored galaxy could be filled up with so many exotic things, environments and so on. A part of me is definitely curious as to what they would come up with if anything's basically possible.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
    As for the things listed in the opening post of this thread:

- New melee animations: cool, but I'd also like them to look at the feasibility of making all melee include a 'charge' part (where your character closes the distance with the enemy while attacking) like the swords and Voth fangs currently have. Melee weapons are pretty difficult to use - if they were made a bit easier to use this way, I might again exchange the Voth fangs for a Lirpa every now and then.

- TNG expansion sounds nice. Maybe they can get Sir Patrick now that he's actively involved in something Trek again.

- I just looked up this 'Emmett Till' thing and I really liked what I saw. Would be great if we could get it in the game.

- Obisek's return? Great! Still one of the best voice actors in the game too. Hopefully they can combine it with an expansion of New Romulus.

- Interiors: would be very nice if we could get the ones from the Discovery era. Those look marvellous.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
    Actually, we know they were in the process of replacing their sun and that they had an estimation for when it would go but it went before then. It's not directly stated that it was intentionally triggered, but that seems most likely given what we do know.
    The bit about the T'kon building a device to replace their sun and it exploding early was from a book series, and not the show itself.
    Not entirely. The books elaborated on WHO did it and WHY, but they were said to be able to relocate stars in the TV show, AND their homeworld was said to have been destroyed by a supernova. I suppose you could say that it was only hinted that something malicious happened. The ep left open the possibility that maybe their sun had exploded early because they tried to relocate it and messed up.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Also, if you want to go deep-lore and examine things that could be Tkon, but haven't been actually stated to be Tkon, Kukulkan. He's a seemingly immortal being who visited Earth millennia ago and believes himself to be the last member of an unnamed but otherwise extinct race. As corroborating, but circumstantial evidence we have that Kukulkan visited the people of Central America and taught them many things about construction and science. The Tkon methods of measuring time and the words they use for it are very similar to the way some Central American Humans did it.

Also, Portal 63 was not stated to have used the image of a Tkon to communicate. It seems he chose his appearance by reading Riker's mind and choosing a form that a Human would find comfortable to converse with. Also, Kukulkan had telepathic computers inside his ship too! It's how his ship monitored the needs of his zoo animals.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    TNG expansion sounds nice. Maybe they can get Sir Patrick now that he's actively involved in something Trek again.
    The problem with Patrick Stewart is that he is too expensive, regardless of if hes doing more Trek or not.
    -William Shatner, Patrick Stewart, and Kate Mulgrew, are all considered too expensive.
    -Avery Brooks has been pretty adamant on having moved past Trek, and really doesn't want to do it anymore.
    -Robert Beltran spent a lot of time hating that he was on Star Trek, and while hes softened up about it over the years, he's generally against doing more Chakotay for anything.
    -Brent Spiner had Data killed off in Nemesis because he couldn't keep playing the immortal robot when he himself kept aging, and, outside of one or two instances, has typically not done even VA work for Data.
    -Jennifer Lien has been in some sort of legal trouble or another for quite some time
    So don't expect to see Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, Chakotay, Data, or Kes, have speaking roles in STO any time soon.

Though that still leaves
    -Sulu
    -B'Elanna
    -Ezri
    -O'Brien
    -Riker
    -Beverly
    -Troi
    And the Enterprise cast, the rest of the Disco cast, and some others like Q, and Guinan, we could maybe see get VA in STO.

Well I can't imagine that games like Star Trek Armada II had huge budgets. And Stewart actually did some voice overs for that game.

Also, Spiner's reluctance to play Data wouldn't necessary diminish his willingness to do voice acting.

Btw, from what I've heard about Robert Beltran it was mostly that he was disappointed that his character never fulfilled its potential. It wasn't so much the case that he hated being on Star Trek itself.

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    Since a lot of Discovery stuff is coming, how about the totally not overly complex bridge of the Sarcophagus?
    *cue scream of horror from Tacofangs*

Just kidding! Just kidding!
    I doubt our Turakian overlord hates it.

I wasn't exactly implying he'd hate it, more like having to make a huge, overly complicated, detailed bridge just so it's barely visited wouldn't make him the happiest taco.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    I wasn't exactly implying he'd hate it, more like having to make a huge, overly complicated, detailed bridge just so it's barely visited wouldn't make him the happiest taco.
    Thing isn't even a bridge, its a damn cathedral.
    Heh, huge or not we have a lot that are massive already.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    The first part of the stream was about the new Styx.
    *we're probably never getting the Charon in STO.
    **And not because it's huge, but because CBS said no.
    *The Styx is based on it but smaller.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The first part of the stream was about the new Styx.
    *we're probably never getting the Charon in STO.
    **And not because it's huge, but because CBS said no.
    *The Styx is based on it but smaller.
    Yep. CBS said the Charon was a one off, there was no Charon "class" of ship, so no Charon itself in-game as a playable ship.
    Didn't stop them doing the Annorax. Or even ship-ifying the effing son'a collector which was just weird. But I guess those were old enough nobody at CBS cared. :p
    -Personal endeavor system info
    • You get three daily
    • Easy/medium/hard
    • All of them are meant to be fairly easy/doable solo
    Figures. Why not just call them easy/easy/easy then? Cryptic.
    -As of right now there are no plans to do things like "player housing" with ship interiors, or adding a new admiralty like system, or admiralty campaign, as the systems team largely feels like there is enough game in the game right now, and that we need better/more reasons to pay what is in the game.
    Well, that's true of course, but stuff like player housing could be that reason. Because let's face it, Cryptic isn't likely to give up on the Easy Mode, so combat rewards even if unique are of limited value.
  • uiabuiab Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    and that we need better/more reasons to pay what is in the game.

ugh, ... that's nice of them. /ferengi_smile
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,310 Community Moderator
    So, @somtaawkhar , is this thread something that you think that you're going to continue updating with each new Ten Forward Livestream?
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    warpangel wrote: »
    • You get three daily
    • Easy/medium/hard
    Bort joked about this in the livestream. The comments he and Kael made were something like "Easy, even easier, so easy you might have done it accidentally"
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    • You get three daily
    • Easy/medium/hard
    Bort joked about this in the livestream. The comments he and Kael made were something like "Easy, even easier, so easy you might have done it accidentally"
    That is pretty much the range of the current endeavors, too.
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    -Likely not going to see single nacelle ships, or many of the extreme kitbash ships, since they aren't popular or in-demand
    -There is one Wolf 359 ship they have made but never released

I guess no Freedom or Yeager Class, huh? Disappointing to say the least.

https://youtu.be/iiZAyB_Dpj8

https://shop.eaglemoss.com/usa/star-trek-starships/uss-firebrand-freedom-class

https://shop.eaglemoss.com/usa/star-trek-starships/uss-yeager

I am curious about the second line regarding the unreleased ship. I wonder which one it is?
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Since a lot of Discovery stuff is coming, how about the totally not overly complex bridge of the Sarcophagus?
    *cue scream of horror from Tacofangs*

Just kidding! Just kidding!

I think of some of the ships that got shafted out of a bridge...The Sarcoschlong, the new Fek'ihri S'torr warship...
    edited January 2019
    Well, that's true of course, but stuff like player housing could be that reason. Because let's face it, Cryptic isn't likely to give up on the Easy Mode, so combat rewards even if unique are of limited value.
    Generally speaking, MMOs tend to avoid individual player housing in favor of more Guild Hall/based housing(or in STO's case Fleet Holdings) because player housing is an inherently "selfish" activity in games. Whereas things like guild/Fleet housing is more communal based.
    I can't see that being a good idea. Player housing is something players can customize themselves, whereas a "Guild Hall" would either have customization dicated by the leadership positions or an endless argument about everything. Neither is particularly conducive to players spending money and/or ingame resources for customization.

Selfish is good.
This discussion has been closed.