test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Notes from the latest weekly livestream

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
Some notes from Cryptic's latest weekly live stream about upcoming content
-New cutscenes for a tutorial of a unspecified faction
-Looking into improved melee animations for martial arts and weapons(no promises)
-Tardigrade dance ideas
-Weston(animator) redid the cutscenes for Stranded in Space, Diplomatic Orders, and Doomsday Machine, for the Klingon War story arc, now moving on to the Romulan Mystery Arc
-For now new cutscenes are Fed focused, but he would like to redo the Rom and Klingon cutscenes as well
-Weston is looking into fixing Intrepid warp nacelles
-Also looking into fixing the Klingon warp out animation
-Idea for a Riker Maneuver emote
-Would like to do a photomode place in Risa for you and your Boffs
-Will look into setting warp out animations based on hitbox radius to fix issues with massive ships cameras during warp out
-Older event rewards will make it into the Phoenix Box when systems has time
-Would like to do hair animations at some point
-Ship interiors on consoles, will come when they have the time to update the lighting for them
-No current plans for Enterprise era FED/KDF stuff
-2018 was one of the best, probably the 2nd best, year STO has ever had
-New lockbox is Emperor's Lockbox
-New lockbox ship is a ship we have seen before, but one we haven't seen before(I am guessing the modified Defiant or Cheron)
-Two story arcs for Discovery, starting story arc which we have seen, and this other 2410 Discovery story arc starting with Mirror of Discovery
-Joking about a Mirror Leeta vs Killy mission, also getting Mirror Philippa Georgiou
-Geko has a story arc for Mirror Leeta that isn't done, with implications that it was the story arc they were going to do before they got the chance to do Age of Discovery
-Playable Andorians, Saurians, Tellerites for Disco Feds.
-Discovery Klingon outfits/uniforms will likely come before playable races. They want playable uniforms for all 24 Klingon houses, we have already seen the Mo'Kai uniforms, and they are making House T'Kuvma and Kol uniforms
-Everything they do with Age of Discovery had to be approved by the Discovery writers room
-New character for Mirror of Discovery will come back in part 3
-Geko would like to bring back Obsiek at some point because he has a really great history
-Jared(one of the devs) has been pushing for a TNG expansion for like 2 years
-Cryptic is aware that the new Trek shows might conflict STO, if its small stuff they might retcon it, but if its super large changes then they are perfectly willing to just go "STO is an alternate timeline"
-CBS specifically requested that Cryptic never talk about the end of the ENT-E in-game as far back as shortly before they introduced the Enterprise-F
-Every S1 Discovery Fed ship has been made, and they, as well as most of the Klingon ships seen in S1, will be made playable at some point
-Likely not going to see single nacelle ships, or many of the extreme kitbash ships, since they aren't popular or in-demand
-There is one Wolf 359 ship they have made but never released
-Emmett Till has been approved by CBS for in-game, but they need to know more about the ship before they add it
-Cryptic has access to everything except TAS which is on a case by case basis due to licenses.
-They also mentioned being able to do Lower Decks stuff once it comes out, though don't expect the characters to be animated like in the show or anything
-No plans to use the USS Discovery being around for 1,000 years until they know why it was abandoned

*edits to clear some things up*
*edits to add a lot more information*
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User

-They want playable Andorians, Telleraites, Saurians for Discovery Feds
    -No current plants for an Enterprise Era start
    -Klingon uniforms for House T'Kuvma/Kol
    -Redoing cutscenes for old missions
    -Looking into melee weapon animation improvements
    -Two full journal arcs for Discovery by the time its done
    -Suggestion that the original arc for post ViL was going to involve Mirror Leeta
    -CBS said don't talk about what happened to the ENT-E in-game
    -They have CBS's approval to do an Emmett Till, but they need to know more about the ship before they do anything with it
    -Talked about how they have full access to everything except TAS due to the licenses
    -No plans to do anything with the Discovery being around 1,000 years into the future until they know why it ends up there

Well they already gave a history for its destruction I'm guessing they are going to have to retcon it.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Well they already gave a history for its destruction I'm guessing they are going to have to retcon it.
    I said in the game. What happened to the ENT-E isn't in-game, its in a side story made by one of the writers for Trek magazine, and STO ignores those all the time.

I'm not sure or not, but it might be in one of those academy history things. Involving captain data. But it might just be something on here as I could not see it on the path to 2409 but maybe I scrolled over it. But I do know its dirrectly mentioned on the gamepedia in a few articles like this one https://sto.gamepedia.com/2408
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    It may be something they want to deal with in the Picard show
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    -They want playable Andorians, Telleraites, Saurians for Discovery Feds

I'm not bothering with a AoD character until this comes out.
    -Klingon uniforms for House T'Kuvma/Kol

Kol's uniforms look great, T'Kuvma's not so much.
    -Talked about how they have full access to everything except TAS due to the licenses

And the KT I assume. Else we'd have the Kelvin and Konni-A by now. Sucks they don't have TAS, though does that mean CBS don't fully own it like the KT or does it just mean Cryptic was never licensed to use it?​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    artan42 wrote: »
    And the KT I assume. Else we'd have the Kelvin and Konni-A by now. Sucks they don't have TAS, though does that mean CBS don't fully own it like the KT or does it just mean Cryptic was never licensed to use it?​​
    The way Geko described it is that its because of things like Gene saying it isn't canon, CBS saying it is, then saying it isn't, then saying it is again, but there some really weird stuff in TAS that isn't canon because its just so crazy. Basically, it's canon on a case by case basis, so anything Cryptic uses from it has to be approved on a case by case basis.

And while Geko didn't mention it directly, there are other problems like "The Slaver Weapon" episode was written by Larry Niven, and he introduced species from his own sci-fi universe works, such as the Kzinti, and the Slavers, that Cryptic can't use because those belong to Larry Niven, and not CBS, even though CBS owns the episode. This is why Star Trek Online uses the Ferasans instead of the Kzinti.

CBS owns all of TAS as a show, but they consider some aspects of TAS too crazy for canon, and some aspects like the Kzinti and Slavers belong to the original authors.

Cryptic has access to TAS, but just not ALL of TAS.

All of TAS can be assumed to be canon. It's a TV series and that is one of only two criteria CBS have mentioned (The other being a film). The 'realism' of the content has never been mentioned as a factor in the canon status of any material. Gene's opinion on TAS is meaningless as he also considered all films after TMP as non-canon and arbitrary chunks of TOS and TNG.

The Niven issues are a legitimate concern but I can't see them effecting the entire series. I doubt we'll ever be told what the licence issues are but it might be that the animation studio retains some rights or something.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Note on the two full arcs: we've seen the start of one with J'ula and existing AOD missions. The upcoming Mirror Discovery episode will kick off number two (no J'ula in that one). They'll be developing these arcs simultaneously.

Note on DSC species: it may take some time for the other DSC era FED species to be added to the game (likely not in time for the anniversary) considering that new assets have to be made for players. Having DSC Shran in the game doesn't mean that they have parts immediately available for both male and female Andorian customization. DSC Klingons are probably in better shape ATM (me talking) but when we get this stuff will depend on how quickly the art department can work through requisite content and develop new player customization options.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The way Geko described it is that its because of things like Gene saying it isn't canon, CBS saying it is, then saying it isn't, then saying it is again, but there some really weird stuff in TAS that isn't canon because its just so crazy. Basically, it's canon on a case by case basis, so anything Cryptic uses from it has to be approved on a case by case basis.

And while Geko didn't mention it directly, there are other problems like "The Slaver Weapon" episode was written by Larry Niven, and he introduced species from his own sci-fi universe works, such as the Kzinti, and the Slavers, that Cryptic can't use because those belong to Larry Niven, and not CBS, even though CBS owns the episode. This is why Star Trek Online uses the Ferasans instead of the Kzinti.

CBS owns all of TAS as a show, but they consider some aspects of TAS too crazy for canon, and some aspects like the Kzinti and Slavers belong to the original authors.

All of TAS can be assumed to be canon. It's a TV series and that is one of only two criteria CBS have mentioned (The other being a film). The 'realism' of the content has never been mentioned as a factor in the canon status of any material. Gene's opinion on TAS is meaningless as he also considered all films after TMP as non-canon and arbitrary chunks of TOS and TNG.

The Niven issues are a legitimate concern but I can't see them effecting the entire series. I doubt we'll ever be told what the licence issues are but it might be that the animation studio retains some rights or something.
    Anything can be assumed to be canon, but only CBS's interpretations thereof matter for the purposes of STO's development.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Note on the two full arcs: we've seen the start of one with J'ula and existing AOD missions. The upcoming Mirror Discovery episode will kick off number two (no J'ula in that one). They'll be developing these arcs simultaneously.

This also goes along with what Geko said in the previous Priority one podcast about how they want to work. They don't want to just do A and have it go all the way, then go to B, then C then etc... They want to Start with A, come back to it a bit later, start B, come back to it later. This way they don't have arc fatigue and they can keep building on things when they're fresh.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    warpangel wrote: »
    And the KT I assume. Else we'd have the Kelvin and Konni-A by now. Sucks they don't have TAS, though does that mean CBS don't fully own it like the KT or does it just mean Cryptic was never licensed to use it?

Anything can be assumed to be canon, but only CBS's interpretations thereof matter for the purposes of STO's development.

STO dosn't need to use canonical material. The canon status of licensed material is relevant to them. There's references to books, comics, and even other games in STO and they're not canon.​​

#TASforSTO

• wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    It's too bad the Emmett Till wasn't the ship they used for Discovery.

Its CBS who considers some parts of TAS too silly for canon.

Source?

#TASforSTO

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    For the Kzinti Cryptic would probably need a separate license from Larry Niven. Though that didn't stop Wing Commander :)
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    -There is one Wolf 359 ship they have made but never released

That'll appear before a T6 Nova too.

I have to wonder if the development team is under some order not to talk about any plans (if any) for the t6 Nova. Unless I missed something it seems anytime the subject is brought up in the forums, it is met with silence.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,246 Community Moderator
    Yes, there is a massive conspiracy about there being any T6 Nova added to the game. :smirk:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    No more of a conspiracy about how Kurtzman destroys Spock's backstory. The short version is Michael Burnham is the reason why Spock becomes how he is in TOS. I'd post a link to a cnet article, but the link contains a spoiler.

The real conspiracy is how IGN is saying how the show is successful and that it may be the reason why the next movie won't go on as scheduled.
    DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    -Jared(one of the devs) has been pushing for a TNG expansion for like 2 years

They can start with making the uniforms look presentable and fixing the mistakes with the Galaxy Interior.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    @somtaawkhar Would you mind adding the You Tube link for that live stream on your original post? I would like to plug it into my radio and listen as I put away more Christmas ornaments today.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    edited January 2019
    However, care to explain why it has taken so long (with no end in sight)?
    - Why, despite having won a poll gauging interest, there is still no sign of this wait coming to an end?
    - Why two of the ships that appeared on the VERY SAME poll, as runners-up, have found their way in-game
    - Why one Wolf-359 ship, seen only briefly in one episode as blurred wreckage, has found it's way into the game and another Wolf-359 ship has been made (as per livestream comments) and will very likely find it's way into the game before a T6 Nova?
    - Why after being referenced in a livestream three months ago it seems to have been quietly buried again?

Because Cryptic plans it ship releases well in advance and that includes holding onto certain ships in order to have something to release which matches a particular window. See. T6 Vorcha and Ambassador. What the Nova needs to make it into the game is a light science vessel c-store, possibly a scout class similar to what we saw with the T5 Lukari science vessel (which couldn't claim precedence over other ships by moral authority since it needs, first and foremost, to serve an impactful role in the game and its marketing. Other ship types will take precedent based on trends in player demand which Cryptic certainly has lots of data for.)

-Looks to the Vulcan Scout Ship for the Anniversary-

Maybe you might want to hold off on the general expression of rage until after a release window has gone by which could have definitely hosted the ship you want, by playing to the exact same class (not possible for a destroyer.) The customary mega bundle will likely include ROM and DOM ships which precludes a DSC theme since those factions could always be touched on by a later season. So, it's not outside the realm of possibility that the Nova is coming very soon to the c-store in trying to make for a consistent bundle (if a DSC era vessel can't be made to fit the same role, in which case it's a matter of priorities in marketing a DSC expansion.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    It took ages for them to fix adding B'Rotlh skins to the endgame BoPs. KDF still doesn't have their T6 Vo'Quv as well. Maybe they're waiting for T7 to introduce both of them.
    DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw
    edited January 2019
    - Why, despite having won a poll gauging interest, there is still no sign of this wait coming to an end?
    - Why two of the ships that appeared on the VERY SAME poll, as runners-up, have found their way in-game
    - Why one Wolf-359 ship, seen only briefly in one episode as blurred wreckage, has found it's way into the game and another Wolf-359 ship has been made (as per livestream comments) and will very likely find it's way into the game before a T6 Nova?
    - Why after being referenced in a livestream three months ago it seems to have been quietly buried again?

Because Cryptic plans it ship releases well in advance and that includes holding onto certain ships in order to have something to release which matches a particular window. See. T6 Vorcha and Ambassador. What the Nova needs to make it into the game is a light science vessel c-store, possibly a scout class similar to what we saw with the T5 Lukari science vessel (which couldn't claim precedence over other ships by moral authority since it needs, first and foremost, to serve an impactful role in the game and its marketing. Other ship types will take precedent.)

-Looks to the Vulcan Scout Ship for the Anniversary-

Maybe you might want to hold off on the general expression of rage until after a release window has gone by which could have definitely hosted the ship you want, by playing to the exact same class (the customary mega bundle will likely include ROM and DOM ships which precludes a DSC theme since those factions could always be touched on by a later season.)

Again, in the October Livesteam Kael clearly said:
    "Someone asked about a Tier 6 Nova, which I hear about on every stream and we literally had a conversation this morning where Thomas came in and was like 'So hey, the Tier 5 Nova is selling really well - shall we make a tier 6 Nova? and I was like 'I TOLD you........!

Again, Cryptic plans their ship releases. What you seem to be asking for is an impulse "HEY LETS GET IT OUT THE DOOR RIGHT NOW BECAUSE PEOPLE ON THE INTERNET TOLD US TO" when more likely they would take that information as support for their plan to release a T6 Nova when the time was right (according to internal data, player trends, and when a light science vessel could be released in priority over other ship types.) A T6 Nova where the New Orleans fit would have either had to be a Destroyer to meet the needs of that release (and force something else to be a light science vessel, should a bundle of those be coming) or forced a light science vessel two pack then (excluding ROM and DOM variants, leaving that niche to be filled at a later date) and forced whatever's coming up into the destroyer mold (either forcing the Vulcan Scout ship our or breaking cohesion between anniversary ship and the following bundles.)

Cited demand for a Nova is not the end all of game design. In playing this out a different way you can imagine yourself receiving a T6 nova earlier, but IMO that would likely have come at a greater cost to the sum total of appeal in all other ship releases that would have had to be reconfigured accordingly. There is a time and a place and that has not yet arrived for this ship.

That's your answer.

With the 9th anniversary, we are now seeing a time when releasing a C-store light science vessel would be very appropriate. Ergo, you may be jumping the gun by a long way in providing feedback to the devs which literally nothing could be done for (plans are set, you just have to wait a bit longer.)
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    Yes, there is a massive conspiracy about there being any T6 Nova added to the game. :smirk:

Not really satisfied with my last reply.

No, I don't think there is some big conspiracy.

- Why they're talking about bringing the Emmett Till into the game.... but still no word on the Nova getting any attention?

Again - it's difficult not to be angry about this. It's been one hell of a long wait, there is no end in sight, there is an obvious desire for it (NOT just from me) and has been for YEARS. But somehow ships seen only as blurry wreckage for a few seconds in one episode were of higher priority?!

I have a joke of a theory that every time you bring this up the T6 Nova get's pushed back another week. And since I once joked that 1/5 of your posts is about the Nova, the ship will be pushed back continuously until the end of the game.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    I have a theory (joke too) that every time @reyan01 brings up his T6 nova rage that the devs push the nova back another week. And since I also joked once that 1/5 of his posts are about the nova (average being pushed up slightly in this derailed thread) the ship will likely be delayed indefinitely.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    edited January 2019
    Not what I am asking for at all. No impulse involved here - I've been asking about/for a T6 Nova for over four years.

No, you're principally motivated by impulse ATM when you're still trying to stand on complaint (V'ger style) for not having a T6 Nova by now when someone is telling you that a T6 Nova is a very reasonable candidate for the upcoming post-anniversary bundle to pair with a Vulcan scout ship.

Vulcan -> Science

Science scout ship

Anniversary c-store packs typically follow the ship type of the freebie.

ROM and DOM will likely be included (from other teases)

They cannot be presented in a DSC-style yet because it's something that could be touched on by later seasons (perhaps much later.)

Ergo, these will most likely be modern ships.

KDF and FED could still be DSC era but that would be more difficult to market as a cohesive bundle (and fail to take advantage of an opportunity to change pace to service those who aren't keen on the DSC style. This would be a good time for a 2409-style FED ship and Cryptic's in no rush to release their full catalogue of DSC ships immediately [the show isn't going anywhere and AoD has no end date]. Plus the format of a DSC ship release [having both a classic and modern variant] isn't particularly compatible with post-anniversary bundles [three equal aesthetic variants to choose from].)

Modern FED science scout ship...hmm, what could that be...(particularly seeing that Vulcan is out of the picture with the freebie)

:|

If this goes by without a Nova, that's a WTF moment. Why no Nova so far? Again, not the right time or place. See the convergence of factors now. This is what a prime release window looks like.
    -2018 was one of the best, probably the 2nd best, year STO has ever had
    What do you (or the streamers) mean when you say "best?"
    -New lockbox ship is a ship we have seen before, but one we haven't seen before(I am guessing the modified Defiant or Cheron)
    Personally I'm hoping for the quad-nacelled ST-D ship. That quote could also mean it's one of the ships that we used as a visual in the queue Battle of the Binary Stars. Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of those visuals was the escort carrier which we have now in the infinity box in it's mirror form.
    -Cryptic has access to everything except TAS which is on a case by case basis due to licenses.
    Well, that's a relief.
This discussion has been closed.