test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Request: shield visual preview gallery

zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 12,862 Arc User
Can we get one of these for every Playable ship in game.
408114a74a220bb8965cd9a5443c8ced1543272948.png

Or maybe every ship is a bit much to ask for, so how about at least doing one of the Fed Light Cruiser and maybe the Enterprise A and D. Then perhaps the same for the most iconic ships of the Klingon, Romulan, Cardasian and Dominion, other cross-faction favs that you guys create just for STO.

(vague title corrected) - darkbladejk
Post edited by darkbladejk on
pulldownyourpantsandslideontheice-001.jpg~original
Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
«1

Comments

  • somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 5,759 Arc User
    I doubt they would do it simply because there is no incentive for them to.

    The time it would take for even the most popular ships wouldn't likely be worth the cost they might bring in from new sales.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    That's the kind of thing players should be doing themselves.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,541 Arc User
    I doubt they would do it simply because there is no incentive for them to.

    The time it would take for even the most popular ships wouldn't likely be worth the cost they might bring in from new sales.

    There are hundreds of ships and this isn't an automatic capture process. Yeah, the only way this could ever happen is if it was just taken up as a community project and folks collaborated. Kael doesn't have the time.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Last missions:
    Evolution's Smile [SSF:3-3]
    Epoch, Part 2 [AEI]
    Transcendence, Part 4
    Memorial Tour

    For the latest Tardigrades and other creative output: @Gorgonops_SSF
    Looking for something new to play? The interactive Foundry Mission Database has you covered.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 1,594 Community Moderator
    @zedbrightlander1 I changed the title of your thread to be a bit more descriptive as the title was super vague. Please try to use more descriptive topic titles in the future.

    With all of that said, I would love to see a preview gallery of sorts, though I must agree with some of the others here that it would most likely have to be a community effort. Would gladly contribute to it myself since I have access to a large number of ships in game.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

    Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 47,465 Arc User
    There are two limiting factors in a community driven project:
    • Accessability to all visuals
    • Coordinating who's got what ship

    For example, I can easily get the rep shields and have all the Rep vanity shields on my Fed main, but the other vanity shields are a no go, and I don't have all the ships. But in order to get the best angles and stuff, you'd probably need someone who has all the vanity shields as well to just swap and screenshot so that its always at the same angle.

    While it would be great to make an archive of what all the ships look like with the shield visuals... its going to be a MAJOR project.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    There are two limiting factors in a community driven project:
    • Accessability to all visuals
    • Coordinating who's got what ship

    For example, I can easily get the rep shields and have all the Rep vanity shields on my Fed main, but the other vanity shields are a no go, and I don't have all the ships. But in order to get the best angles and stuff, you'd probably need someone who has all the vanity shields as well to just swap and screenshot so that its always at the same angle.

    While it would be great to make an archive of what all the ships look like with the shield visuals... its going to be a MAJOR project.
    Well sure, if you go and complicate the matter by demanding one person do everything. It's not even possible to "just swap and screenshot" all the shields anyway, because a few of them are factional and would require a toon switch. Nor would it be at all reasonable to expect someone to go and re-screenshot everything, every time a new shield is released, just to make all the shots have the same angle.

    But without artificial requirements, it could be as simple as people uploading what ship/shield combinations they have to the wiki. Arrange them in an alphabetical order and it's easy for everyone to see which ones need to be added.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 47,465 Arc User
    I'm not "demanding" anything. I'm just pointing out a few things that might come up. Coordination being one of them. You might end up with 15 pictures of the same ship with the same shield at one time.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    edited January 6
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I'm not "demanding" anything. I'm just pointing out a few things that might come up. Coordination being one of them. You might end up with 15 pictures of the same ship with the same shield at one time.
    Even presuming that someone (much less 15 someones) would waste their time to upload screenshots that they can clearly see are already on the page, dupes are easily deleted. I believe the more likely problem would be not enough people contributing at all.
  • risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    That's the kind of thing players should be doing themselves.

    Thanks for letting us know, Geko :p

    In all seriousness though, that seems to be what they believe indeed. I don't see why it's reasonable though. Players are held responsible too much already when it comes to providing information (that is; useful and more detailed compared to the often vague descriptions) that ought to be available in the game itself.

    When I see traits, shields, ships with traits or whatever in the game, I expect to see what it does, in the game. I shouldn't have to go to an external website (either Wiki, or when it is not available there, go to Reddit or Google) just to know what something does and be lucky that someone whose job it isn't to provide such information, has nevertheless taken the effort to provide it anyway.

    While in this case it would arguably be a lot of work to do it for all ships, I think the request to have examples for just a handful of ships for each faction is a reasonable one. I don't think it would be that much work either - they have to create these visuals and that probably requires lot more effort.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

    Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
  • risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    Correction for that last sentence: 'a lot more effort'.

    And to clarify: providing a handful of examples for each faction probably isn't that much work. It might be for all ships.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

    Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,541 Arc User
    edited January 6

    In all seriousness though, that seems to be what they believe indeed. I don't see why it's reasonable though. Players are held responsible too much already when it comes to providing information (that is; useful and more detailed compared to the often vague descriptions) that ought to be available in the game itself.

    Shield visuals are a recent addition to STO. There are hundreds of ships that predate them. Crytpic could assign someone to go through old ships, decide on some arbitrary basis which are most representative of pattern application across that faction (though considering the diversity, this is not likely to be a one-and-done deal), take successive screenshots from a predetermined angles, and stitch them together in a single image ("probably isn't that much work" is fairly patent minimization, not a flat assessment. At present, there are 37 shield visuals to carry through the process.) But that person could be assigned to something else with greater impact than providing minor clarification for how a known pattern will apply on a different configuration of ship.

    Going forward, these shield visual infographics will probably be available for new releases (at least until players generally gain a better sense for how their favorite visuals apply.) But doing the same retroactively is not sufficiently feasible (irrespective of what you personally think devs ought to be doing [basis: subjective principles]) and having a set of examples is already accomplished simply by existing graphics like this and what we can expect from, say, the next multi-faction ship pack.

    Hence, if players care about having more shield visual graphics as a resource then they should work on it themselves. Niche projects like that often do fall to communities (though to be frank, I can't name one that was handled by devs. What they provide is the minimum of documentation and tutorials to run the game, not full strategy guides and walkthroughs. See. wikia, prima, youtube. Detailed resources are, by in large [if not entirely], produced externally.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Last missions:
    Evolution's Smile [SSF:3-3]
    Epoch, Part 2 [AEI]
    Transcendence, Part 4
    Memorial Tour

    For the latest Tardigrades and other creative output: @Gorgonops_SSF
    Looking for something new to play? The interactive Foundry Mission Database has you covered.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    In all seriousness though, that seems to be what they believe indeed. I don't see why it's reasonable though. Players are held responsible too much already when it comes to providing information (that is; useful and more detailed compared to the often vague descriptions) that ought to be available in the game itself.

    When I see traits, shields, ships with traits or whatever in the game, I expect to see what it does, in the game. I shouldn't have to go to an external website (either Wiki, or when it is not available there, go to Reddit or Google) just to know what something does and be lucky that someone whose job it isn't to provide such information, has nevertheless taken the effort to provide it anyway.
    In all seriousness, STO doesn't come close to holding players responsible for anything. I play this one game where even paid content is announced with what amounts to a witty tweet and its entirely up to the players to figure out what the stuff even is.

    This is why I believe any effort to catalog these visuals would fail due to player apathy. And also why there will never be real exploration, or puzzles not meant for 3-year-olds in the game. There simply aren't enough players here who like to explore and experiment for themselves, to find and provide information. That the wiki is so incomplete is a showing of that as well.

    I guess those players are playing games that leave them more information to find.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 404 Arc User
    They could do a preview system. They have one for neverwinter. I think they can program something like that in. A ui pops up showing what it would look like. So they would not have to do a lot of coding maybe just preview equip. Like they do with neverwinters preview. But with ships instead.
  • risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User

    In all seriousness though, that seems to be what they believe indeed. I don't see why it's reasonable though. Players are held responsible too much already when it comes to providing information (that is; useful and more detailed compared to the often vague descriptions) that ought to be available in the game itself.

    Shield visuals are a recent addition to STO. There are hundreds of ships that predate them. Crytpic could assign someone to go through old ships, decide on some arbitrary basis which are most representative of pattern application across that faction (though considering the diversity, this is not likely to be a one-and-done deal), take successive screenshots from a predetermined angles, and stitch them together in a single image ("probably isn't that much work" is fairly patent minimization, not a flat assessment. At present, there are 37 shield visuals to carry through the process.) But that person could be assigned to something else with greater impact than providing minor clarification for how a known pattern will apply on a different configuration of ship.

    Going forward, these shield visual infographics will probably be available for new releases (at least until players generally gain a better sense for how their favorite visuals apply.) But doing the same retroactively is not sufficiently feasible (irrespective of what you personally think devs ought to be doing [basis: subjective principles]) and having a set of examples is already accomplished simply by existing graphics like this and what we can expect from, say, the next multi-faction ship pack.

    Hence, if players care about having more shield visual graphics as a resource then they should work on it themselves. Niche projects like that often do fall to communities (though to be frank, I can't name one that was handled by devs. What they provide is the minimum of documentation and tutorials to run the game, not full strategy guides and walkthroughs. See. wikia, prima, youtube. Detailed resources are, by in large [if not entirely], produced externally.)

    I already said that doing it for all the hundreds of ships we have, probably isn't necessary or worth the effort indeed.
    And of course I couldn't make a full assessment. I don't work there. Which means I at least am not going to pretend that I know for sure that it is or is not that much work - I'm saying that that is just me guessing. And yes, that and those other things in my post are subjective.

    So is your post (like 'they should work on it themselves') and so are those of almost everyone else here. I never pretended that my post was not subjective and I doubt anyone thought I was only presenting facts. So I don't see the need to judge me on this or even talk about that.

    But since you're so eager to discuss it; If anything, I think you need to remind yourself that we're stating opinions here. Cause if my previous post gave off the impression that I was presenting opinions as facts, your better written post is an even clearer example of that.


    (Also, comparisons with other games are irrelevant imo. What the devs of those games do or don't do, is no reason to do things similarly or completely different here. I can't decide on that anyway, as I don't play other games. For me, that opinion is therefore based on experiences outside of the digital world; if you want potential customers to use your product, you need to give them useful and detailed information on what they can do with it, and how it is different from what they already have.)

    Anyway; yes, the way forward as you described is probably how it will be done. I never assumed that it would be much different. Again, I was merely saying that I thought the proposal from the OP was a reasonable one, even if it is unlikely (for all ships at least) to happen retrospectively.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

    Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
  • risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    In all seriousness though, that seems to be what they believe indeed. I don't see why it's reasonable though. Players are held responsible too much already when it comes to providing information (that is; useful and more detailed compared to the often vague descriptions) that ought to be available in the game itself.

    When I see traits, shields, ships with traits or whatever in the game, I expect to see what it does, in the game. I shouldn't have to go to an external website (either Wiki, or when it is not available there, go to Reddit or Google) just to know what something does and be lucky that someone whose job it isn't to provide such information, has nevertheless taken the effort to provide it anyway.
    In all seriousness, STO doesn't come close to holding players responsible for anything. I play this one game where even paid content is announced with what amounts to a witty tweet and its entirely up to the players to figure out what the stuff even is.

    This is why I believe any effort to catalog these visuals would fail due to player apathy. And also why there will never be real exploration, or puzzles not meant for 3-year-olds in the game. There simply aren't enough players here who like to explore and experiment for themselves, to find and provide information. That the wiki is so incomplete is a showing of that as well.

    I guess those players are playing games that leave them more information to find.

    (See also the stuff between brackets in my previous comment).

    Shame on those devs and PR people from other games then. Fortunately 'our' devs and CMs are much better in that respect. Let's hope then that they can keep meeting the apparrently higher standards they have met thus far.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

    Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,541 Arc User
    edited January 7
    So is your post (like 'they should work on it themselves') and so are those of almost everyone else here. I never pretended that my post was not subjective and I doubt anyone thought I was only presenting facts. So I don't see the need to judge me on this or even talk about that.

    I do because your posts hinges on an interpretation of restricted facts which says [explicitly] that this kind of resource ought to be produced by the devs. Expand the facts to a more balanced consideration of time, need, and industry practice and there's a different conclusion to be reached. It is basic to a discussion, certain facts change the outcome so they definitely need to be included for consideration.
    But since you're so eager to discuss it; If anything, I think you need to remind yourself that we're stating opinions here. Cause if my previous post gave off the impression that I was presenting opinions as facts, your better written post is an even clearer example of that.

    To quote the dictionary here:
    Opinion: a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

    When describing the process by which these graphics are created [with a high degree of certainty, STO features, and common toolsets] and the drawback that literally imposes on their wider application and the reaction Cryptic demonstrably has had (ie. that they haven't already expanded the list of shield visual graphics in answering the question upon T6 rep's release of "what do all these look like) with consideration of relevant and verifiable limitations, I'm not just giving an opinion. I'm giving you a factual baseline (capable of mutual interpretation, critical review, and necessary modification following discussion) which you should consider in more detail rather than looking to neuter the basis of reasonable discussion via "well, it's all opinion" in response a direct challenge of your assertions. You may not have considered or known the various elements involved here (which to be clear is natural) but that doesn't mean that others are in the same position and can't come to a meaningful conclusion on this matter.

    (Also, comparisons with other games are irrelevant imo..
    It is when you say that it's something the devs ought to do because the immediate question there is why. Why isn't this appropriate for a community project? What expectation does it violate? What precedent is there for devs taking the time out of their schedules for a project which has, at best, restricted benefit per curiosity? (since the minimum needed to judge the general effect of shield visuals on STO's range is already accomplished by having more than one graphic like this.)

    If it isn't common practice then there's a much greater onus on immediate need, but if it is common practice then it could support the case even if it can be shown that it is, by itself, a low priority concern (as the weight of reasonable expectation would then favor having more graphics and other similar aids). This is simply being thorough in considering the facets that could push for or refute the thread's general proposal (ie. can we have more graphics?) for the sake of giving the idea the best review possible (ie. with context, rather than just immediate limits and need [even if that may be more convenient to quickly dismissing the idea.] If I took the restricted view instead then I would simply be dismissing a broad category of reasonable expectation [and potentially compelling arguments] out of hand. By addressing it, I am being fair to that viewpoint while also covering an angle of potential rebuttal [see. the reasonable approach of trying to disprove yourself before entering into discussion.])

    But it isn't, so try to incorporate that into how you set your expectations as it demonstrates a principle. Ie. that devs are frequently occupied on other things (such as game development) and community managers don't often have the time to dedicate to a wide range of minor quality of life infographics such as this, which is definitely the case for Kael, given what we know about his job from Ten Forward weekly interviews. He is involved with a lot of projects (ex. improving in-game help guides) so time is definitely a consideration in making requests, especially now with holiday break ending and a backlog of work to get through before ramping up to AoD part 2. That isn't to say that we always need preface a thread with rationalized scheduling, but in some cases "what is actually involved in the suggestion" is definitely a critical consideration.

    These graphics are made as needed, but as we pretty much all agree if people want more than what is already available (and may be seen with upcoming ship releases) then folks here would benefit from considering contributing to, organizing, or helming a community project to satisfy a stated wish that (per the facts of this discussion) can't be readily met by Cryptic. The STO.wikia community would be a great place to look to for additional collaboration and a platform for the results.

    Certainly no one has to do this but it is the most reasonable way of getting it done, for those inclined.



    PS. note that if you said "I want more graphics like this one" rather than "the devs ought to produce more graphics like this one, it's a reasonable proposal" a lengthy discussion wouldn't have been necessary. Contradictory facts would have provided context but they wouldn't have changed any conclusions from the original statement. This may be the situation but the desire stands. And no, "but that's what I meant!" doesn't cover it because that retroactive interpretation supposes that these literally divergent statements are synonymous (when convenient) and that critical discussion (ie. what devs are actually responsible for) is equivalent to simply sounding off an opinion (ie. what you think they should do) and thus the latter can't be handled by the former because it is only another opinion. It's a memetic defense mechanism for flagging ideas.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Last missions:
    Evolution's Smile [SSF:3-3]
    Epoch, Part 2 [AEI]
    Transcendence, Part 4
    Memorial Tour

    For the latest Tardigrades and other creative output: @Gorgonops_SSF
    Looking for something new to play? The interactive Foundry Mission Database has you covered.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 1,594 Community Moderator
    just going to point this out guys, for rep shields and such, just copy a toon over to the tribble server. I don't mean this as a swipe at anyone but I really believe some folks are seriously overthinking this one.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

    Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 941 Arc User
    On a related note, I wonder how difficult it would be to add these as 'hull materials' to the shipwright for preview purposes. On which note, I imagine it would also be helpful to give the shipwright a selection of space backgrounds to choose from (the FF14 character creator has this, as I understand); of course, the question of which backgrounds is another discussion in and of itself, but two I can see as being reasonable additions are a basic system backdrop (Sol/Qo'noS/New Romulus) and Dyson Sphere interior.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,901 Arc User
    just going to point this out guys, for rep shields and such, just copy a toon over to the tribble server. I don't mean this as a swipe at anyone but I really believe some folks are seriously overthinking this one.

    Do they have all those visual shields etc....in the console on Drozana? Or does it all have to be copied over.

    Because what most likely going on: want to see it before going through the motions on Holodeck.

    There is STO player who has a You Tube Channel, he does videos with ship visuals. You could check his channel and see if he has one of the ship you want to see. Much better to see it moving in the game, rather than stills.

    STO Unrefined
    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC3cf2Ma8K8URFSx03h7hgaw
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 12,862 Arc User
    There are players who make videos of ships and shields.


    pulldownyourpantsandslideontheice-001.jpg~original
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    There are players who make videos of ships and shields.

    That's nice. But a page of screenshots would still be more useful for the purpose, as watching through an hour-long video is rather excessive.
    On a related note, I wonder how difficult it would be to add these as 'hull materials' to the shipwright for preview purposes. On which note, I imagine it would also be helpful to give the shipwright a selection of space backgrounds to choose from (the FF14 character creator has this, as I understand); of course, the question of which backgrounds is another discussion in and of itself, but two I can see as being reasonable additions are a basic system backdrop (Sol/Qo'noS/New Romulus) and Dyson Sphere interior.
    Probably not hard at all, they already have a hull materials selector there. I did wonder when they added the visual equiment slots, why they didn't instead turn the ship equipment visuals into tailor unlocks like they did with the ground armors.
  • risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    just going to point this out guys, for rep shields and such, just copy a toon over to the tribble server. I don't mean this as a swipe at anyone but I really believe some folks are seriously overthinking this one.

    That is true. Though for the more expensive ones (from the lockboxes) it might be more difficult.

    @duncanidaho11

    I'm not going to respond to that wall of text that indeed seems a rather pointless discussion since it is mainly about semantics really and because the whole thing is based on a misinterpretation or a misrepresentation.

    But don't worry, next time I will explicitly say that 'it is my opinion that the Devs ought to do x or y' to make it clear for literally everyone (including those who interpret the word 'ought' differently than what is commonly meant by it - no, I'm not going to look for a definition from a dictionary) that it is an opinion.

    If that makes you happy. But please, save yourself the effort to write another lengthy post. I won't read the next one as there is no disagreement over the actual content of this thread, as indicated in my first reply to you. And given that, I am leaving this thread.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

    Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 47,465 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Do they have all those visual shields etc....in the console on Drozana? Or does it all have to be copied over.

    They're T6 Rep Projects that give you the vanity shield item. And with how they set up the testing on Tribble, just get the resources you need from the Drozana console, spam until you have T6 reps, spam to get the vanity shields, then try them out.

    Unfortunately it only copies over your active ships. Not your C-Store unlocks. Tribble is a seperate server, and thus has its own C-Store. But that kinda is... semi non functional. You can't buy Zen for Tribble. And as far as I know they have not set up anything to allow you to test out the new C-Store ships on Tribble before actually buying them on Holodeck.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • artaniscreedartaniscreed Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    idk why people think things are so much harder to do than they are for simple things like this...

    Make a 3d viewer with the models and shield visuals add 2 drop down menus (or whatever way you want to select them) and BAM, viewer done.

    An you can just add new visuals and ships to the existing framework upon release.

    The hardest part is just setting the 3d viewer up
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,901 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

    They're T6 Rep Projects that give you the vanity shield item. And with how they set up the testing on Tribble, just get the resources you need from the Drozana console, spam until you have T6 reps, spam to get the vanity shields, then try them out.

    THAT, I can attest, is not a fun way to go. I did that to test T6 Rep when they released it. Several times, on different characters. I was the one that got all her skill trees locked up in permanent "Retrain" on Tribble and freaked out.

    Granted, levelling Rep on Tribble is faster, but still a long, boring haul.

    I would say get T6 Rep done on Holodeck, then copy character to Tribble. Then buy the vanity shields, to figure out which shield for which character.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,032 Bug Hunter
    I have an irrational dislike of that image. None of the names used to represent the shields are consistent and they're not grouped in any sort of logical order (well technically it's sort of alphabetical but with the names being illogically assigned the order is essentially meaningless).​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

    #TASforSTO


    '...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,244 Arc User
    If the tailor has a preview of unowned cosmetics then there's no real reason not to have something similar with the ship one.

    Apart from cryptic being daft and ignoring the fact that folk might be willing to spend money on ship cosmetics once again (store used to have them way back when)

    This is something that was mentioned by a fair few folk when the rep visuals were teased on the forums due to the pics only showing a vanilla fed ship happily ignoring the base colours for kdf and romulan ships.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 8,331 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    I have an irrational dislike of that image. None of the names used to represent the shields are consistent and they're not grouped in any sort of logical order (well technically it's sort of alphabetical but with the names being illogically assigned the order is essentially meaningless).​​
    That's not irrational at all. Those are very poorly named indeed, to the point some of the rep shields are actually impossible to tell apart without buying one and seeing for yourself. Like the gamma shields at the beginning. If I didn't already own one of them, I would have no idea which one is the setpiece and which one the T6.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,541 Arc User
    edited January 8
    If the tailor has a preview of unowned cosmetics then there's no real reason not to have something similar with the ship one.

    Unless the two are operating under different systems and the analogy is a false one. Note that we can preview unowned ship parts and Type 6/7 skins just fine from the store, because those options are built into the tailor. But, that has significant limitations on easy expansion which is in large part why we have a system of vanity shields (using a separate system of overlays) rather than unlocked skins across ships. Each would have to be added manually, per ship and that seen as prohibitive on any kind of scale (source: Ten Forward.)

    Ie. these are different systems and a preview system for vanity shields would probably require original development to be at all feasible. That or you can just look at the graphic above and extrapolate (which I would greatly prefer than having the ship tailor customization menus overwhelmed by default with a long list of 37 visuals that could not be applied from that menu.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Last missions:
    Evolution's Smile [SSF:3-3]
    Epoch, Part 2 [AEI]
    Transcendence, Part 4
    Memorial Tour

    For the latest Tardigrades and other creative output: @Gorgonops_SSF
    Looking for something new to play? The interactive Foundry Mission Database has you covered.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,244 Arc User
    Difference being the preview in the store is a stills image whereas the tailor is a model you can pan about and see whats what.

    Character tailor does have the hide unowned check box so no reason that couldn't also be included in a revamp alongside a link to the rep system for quick slotting of the task if immediate purchase wasn't possible.
Sign In or Register to comment.