test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Picard series might only be 8 episodes?

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
edited January 2019 in Ten Forward
So wwwwaaaayyyy back in June, when the first rumors of other Trek shows beyond Discovery started to surface, we got this bit of info about what the new shows would be

http://trekcore.com/blog/2018/06/kurtzman-signs-cbs-deal-to-expand-star-trek-tv-development/
  • A series set at Starfleet Academy from creators Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz. The duo most recently developed the CW’s reboot of “Dynasty” and previously created shows like “Gossip Girl” and Hulu and Marvel’s “Runaways.”
  • A limited series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.
  • A limited series based around the “Wrath of Khan” story. Khan’s full name is Khan Noonien Singh. He was famously portrayed by Ricardo Montalbán in both the original series episode “Space Seed” and again in the film “Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan.” Benedict Cumberbatch then played the character in the 2013 film “Star Trek Into Darkness.”
  • An animated series whose plot details are being kept under wraps.
At the same time as the original rumor announcement, this came out(linked to in the first link)
There are no specifics about any of the projects at the moment though there is talk that one of the first shows would be an eight-episode limited series spinoff. Kurtzman and Co. may reveal some details at the upcoming Comic-Com convention.
This was seemingly confirmed later in October when CBS trademarked 6 new Trek shows
https://comicbook.com/startrek/2018/10/25/star-trek-new-tv-series-rumor-trademarks-cbs/
  • Revolution
  • Starfleet Academy
  • Destiny
  • Reliant
  • Ceti Alpha V
  • Lower Decks
Now back in December, Alex Kurtzman said this
https://ew.com/tv/2018/12/10/star-trek-picard-series-different/
Only Stewart has been cast in the spin-off so far, Kurtzman added. “The writers’ room has broken about eight episodes and we’re moving quickly, and I couldn’t be more excited about it,”
Only the Picard and Khan series were described as limited, and one of them was described as being 8 episodes, and we know from what Nicholas Meyer has said that Khan was only three episodes, and we have this same "8 episodes" thing being mentioned by Kurtzman, and the Picard show is one of the first things coming out as originally rumored.

Given that the other rumored shows turned out to be true, its possible that this Picard show may be a rather short thing after all.

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    That's not unusual for a streaming show, see Netflix' "Defenders". We don't know how long the episodes will be, could be hour longs.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Stewart is getting a bit old. 8 episodes is probably enough.
    Not that it matters, I'm not paying CBS to watch Trek.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    Rumors about rumors that date back to before DSC even came out, and long before Patrick Stewart made his announcement.

Y'all are making an awful lot of soup from one bone that might not even exist...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Last I heard the Picard was supposed to be multi-season maybe it's 8 episodes in the season

It'll only be 'muti-season' if there's enough viewers who sub for CBS to say "Yeah, lets keep making this..." like any streaming show.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    > @crypticarmsman said:
    > azrael605 wrote: »
    >
    > Last I heard the Picard was supposed to be multi-season maybe it's 8 episodes in the season
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It'll only be 'muti-season' if there's enough viewers who sub for CBS to say "Yeah, lets keep making this..." like any streaming show.

The other announced show The Lower Decks has recieved a 2 season contract before production has even started. Keep trying to doomsay all you want, this is happening.

Who's 'doomsaying'? It's just a fact of the entertainment business.

Examole the 4th JJ Abrams Star Trek film was greenlit before Star Trek: Beyond released. After that underperformed at the box office, JJ ST 4 suddenly went into development hell (and I'm talking before the situation where Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth basically said: "Hey, we have a signed contract to be paid <X> dollars, if you stick to it we'll do the film...")

If there's anything certain in Hollywood (and Canada and Florida); it's that when it comes to expensive projects, NOTHING is certain.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Rumors about rumors that date back to before DSC even came out, and long before Patrick Stewart made his announcement.

Y'all are making an awful lot of soup from one bone that might not even exist...

Jonsills, this is the Internet! Being the voice of reason is illegal! Or something.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    The other announced show The Lower Decks has recieved a 2 season contract before production has even started. Keep trying to doomsay all you want, this is happening.

But that is more likely due to Rick and Morty fame rather than Star Trek fame. Mike McMahon has writer credit for Something Ricked This Way Comes (episode with the devil), Total Rickall (episode with neural parasites), and The Rickshank Redemption (Season 3 Premiere).

If Lower Decks is half as good as Rick and Morty, then it would still be far better than the first season of Discovery.
    These aren't rumors, they start production in a few weeks.
    The part that isn't a rumor is that Patrick Stewart is starring in a show about Jean-Luc Picard.

Literally everything else said about it, from trying to reconcile his show with previous rumors all the way to supposition about the length of the first season, is just more rumor. What's more, it's rumor based on rumor, thus making it doubly untrustworthy.

I mean, if y'all really want to work yourselves into a tizzy over something on which you have no solid data, well, there are sillier things even than this to get all het up about, I suppose (mostly in the realm of politics, so the less said about them the better, I think). But don't expect to be taken seriously at this point.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I like Stewart, don't get me wrong. He seems like a decent guy, and he can read a script into the camera. I just don't find him to be all that great an actor. His characters all come across as the same. Like Tom Cruse or Robert DiNiro: you get the same character in every movie.

Star Trek's curse didn't work on him. In fact, he got the reverse of it. Trek launched him into the upper ranks of the elite, whereas many other Trek stars fared far worse. I jut don't understand why, unless it's the fact that chicks dig bald dudes.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    I like Stewart, don't get me wrong. He seems like a decent guy, and he can read a script into the camera. I just don't find him to be all that great an actor. His characters all come across as the same. Like Tom Cruse or Robert DiNiro: you get the same character in every movie.

Star Trek's curse didn't work on him. In fact, he got the reverse of it. Trek launched him into the upper ranks of the elite, whereas many other Trek stars fared far worse. I jut don't understand why, unless it's the fact that chicks dig bald dudes.

Sir Patrick Stewart was (and still is) a prominent Shakespearean actor on London's West End even before Star Trek. While Shakespearean acting is very different from most acting in modern cinema, it requires a much better base theatrical ability IMO. What you're talking about isn't a lack of range - it's type-casting. Hollywood associates Sir Patrick with heroic roles, so that's all they offer him. He has played nefarious characters before - namely Scrooge in the film adaptation of A Christmas Carol. By contrast, Sir Ian McKellan (sp?) is on par with Sir Patrick (also a Shakespearean Actor), but is given a much wider range of roles; from Magneto in X-Men to Sherlock Holmes in Holmes.
    You probably haven't seen Starz' 'Blunt Talk' 😏
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Whose whatnow?
    You also haven't seen Sir Pat as Sterling in the 1995 movie Jeffrey.

I guarantee you won't mistake Sterling for Picard, or Avery Bullock in American Dad!, or Gurney Halleck in Dune, or...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    > @brian334 said:
    > Whose whatnow?

Just search for a blunt talk trailer on YT, sadly I can't paste a link on mobile 😒

Your PatStew experience should vary.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    You also haven't seen Sir Pat as Sterling in the 1995 movie Jeffrey.

I guarantee you won't mistake Sterling for Picard, or Avery Bullock in American Dad!, or Gurney Halleck in Dune, or...

I want a Youtube video where they use Avery Bullock's lines in TNG.
    Bad Lip Reading could do it
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-patrick-stewarts-picard-series-reveals-new-details-1174452?fbclid=IwAR3_qnG6bBPNhHDtRw4lp9IISkY3mNfAh06KrZ5Mea907FnIHeIIgUN5QrU

"Kurtzman says Stewart agreed to return only if he could defy what people are used to seeing with Trek. "He threw down an amazing gauntlet and said, 'If we do this, I want it to be so different, I want it to be both what people remember but also not what they're expecting at all, otherwise why do it?' " Kurtzman recalls of their initial discussions for what would become the highly anticipated CBS All Access series."
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    khan5000 wrote: »
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-patrick-stewarts-picard-series-reveals-new-details-1174452?fbclid=IwAR3_qnG6bBPNhHDtRw4lp9IISkY3mNfAh06KrZ5Mea907FnIHeIIgUN5QrU

"Kurtzman says Stewart agreed to return only if he could defy what people are used to seeing with Trek. "He threw down an amazing gauntlet and said, 'If we do this, I want it to be so different, I want it to be both what people remember but also not what they're expecting at all, otherwise why do it?' " Kurtzman recalls of their initial discussions for what would become the highly anticipated CBS All Access series."
    Cool! So now people will hate it, blame Kurtzman, and call anyone who likes it "not a true fan". Always good to have a heads-up on things like that.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    As long as Picard is not the Federation Ambassador to Vulcan, then it should be good. That has to be the most boring position in the Federation.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    As long as Picard is not the Federation Ambassador to Vulcan, then it should be good. That has to be the most boring position in the Federation.
    Not when the delegates come from Romulus! :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    khan5000 wrote: »

Cool! So now people will hate it, blame Kurtzman, and call anyone who likes it "not a true fan". Always good to have a heads-up on things like that.

What could they have done for the usual suspects not to react like that?

Though I'd love to see what they come up with trying to say Sir Patrick doesn't understand Picard like the fanbois do, or that he's not a Real Star Trek FanTM.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!