test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let's Discuss Ground Builds....Kit Modules and their uses.

Comments

• feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    where2r1 wrote: »
    felisean wrote: »
    We've published more specialized Builds for some Maps at sto-league.com ;)

I see Colony Defense Simulation for everyone. But I believe no one does those any more since they took the EC off the Colony Provisions.

https://www.sto-league.com/ground-builds/ <--direct link to ground builds for the DPS League / tigeraries left it here earlier on page 1.

The STO league stuff is on the STO Academy page...which I have yet get to work right on my Kindle nor on my Chromebook. Are they planning to update their website for mobile?

Same question I will ask you...as I asked tigeraries....

Out of this list on STO DPS League of Ground Builds, which build do you have the most fun with??

Do you use the builds exactly as advertised with no personal touches?

Do you have a favorite Kit Module? Which ones are those?

i've posted a list... read that list and you know what i'm using. there are combinations to change something too in there..
    and the personal touch is to choose the most efficient combination for the situation i'm going in. for a colony sim i would choose other modules for the eng as example, for the tac it would be a more teambuffing approach and the sci... maximum of aoe dmg always. because for most missions, the main goal is stil to kill the enemies and doing that the most efficient way is my prefered way to do it.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    Edit: modules themselves from pack are account bound so they cannot be found on exchange directly at this time.
    I found that searching for "or mod" works nicely.
    Did a quick test of these modules on Kobali Prime on my engineer. They could be useful.
    Emperor’s Execution Spinner
    Most famously employed by Emperor Georgiou, this brutal metal disc deploys razor sharp blades, flying in an arc and slicing through all enemies inside it for heavy physical damage.
    The spinner is probably best suited for a tactical or engineer. The first with plenty of buffs and the second with a flare mortar to expose foes. Short ranged physical damage. Haven't compared it to other physical damage modules such as the Kligat. The firing arc makes it interesting though.
    Well Spinner is an AoE with a weird and rather short range limitation. The Kligat is a point-target attack with pretty good range.
    Deploy Agony Field
    This ability places a small generator that deploys an enormous dome-shaped field of Agony, continuously damaging any enemy in contact with it. The dome shrinks slowly over the next 20 seconds.
    Agony field. If you like to be stealthy and don't want to attract attention then this module is not for you. This module shouts hey Mother ** here i am so come and get me. Now, combine that with a well prepared ambush and taking out 20 vaadwaur in less than 2 minutes is downright easy. Very well suited for an engineer.
    it does all the standard stuff engies like, spawn camp NPCS, area denial, and so on. Also you could probably find a way to yank enemies into it.
    Deploy Ambush Turrets
    Suddenly deploys a pair of short-lived turrets which spray rapid fire phaser bolts in a narrow cone, mowing down any enemies unlucky enough to be caught in their field of fire.
    The ambush turrets are probably useful for tactical and science, but IMO engineers have better options. They DO deploy very rapidly though.
    Ambush turrets also have a short enough cooldown that resummoning them often is no problem. great for dealing with swarms of small enemies.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited January 2019
    :::sheepish grin:::: I had to come back over here to find the name of the Emperor’s Execution Spinner kit module so I can search for it. LOL!

YIKES! Emperor Reward Packs are still 600,000EC!!! I think I will wait until next week.

"Special Equipment Packs - Emperor Modules" is the name in the Exchange.
    I searched on: Emperor under the Reward Pack tab.

Uh...Fortune Cookie Tribble is not the same as the "Terran Fortune Cookie" device, is it. OOOPS!

OK...I am stopping with the Exchange...before someone REALLY takes some coins from me. I will talk to Q about a Party Popper, now. Bah humbug!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    the Fortune cookie device is something you can feed to a tribble. Which makes Fortune cookie tribble.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    Edit: modules themselves from pack are account bound so they cannot be found on exchange directly at this time.
    I found that searching for "or mod" works nicely.
    Did a quick test of these modules on Kobali Prime on my engineer. They could be useful.
    Emperor’s Execution Spinner
    Most famously employed by Emperor Georgiou, this brutal metal disc deploys razor sharp blades, flying in an arc and slicing through all enemies inside it for heavy physical damage.
    The spinner is probably best suited for a tactical or engineer. The first with plenty of buffs and the second with a flare mortar to expose foes. Short ranged physical damage. Haven't compared it to other physical damage modules such as the Kligat. The firing arc makes it interesting though.
    Well Spinner is an AoE with a weird and rather short range limitation. The Kligat is a point-target attack with pretty good range.
    Deploy Agony Field
    This ability places a small generator that deploys an enormous dome-shaped field of Agony, continuously damaging any enemy in contact with it. The dome shrinks slowly over the next 20 seconds.
    Agony field. If you like to be stealthy and don't want to attract attention then this module is not for you. This module shouts hey Mother ** here i am so come and get me. Now, combine that with a well prepared ambush and taking out 20 vaadwaur in less than 2 minutes is downright easy. Very well suited for an engineer.
    it does all the standard stuff engies like, spawn camp NPCS, area denial, and so on. Also you could probably find a way to yank enemies into it.
    Deploy Ambush Turrets
    Suddenly deploys a pair of short-lived turrets which spray rapid fire phaser bolts in a narrow cone, mowing down any enemies unlucky enough to be caught in their field of fire.
    The ambush turrets are probably useful for tactical and science, but IMO engineers have better options. They DO deploy very rapidly though.
    Ambush turrets also have a short enough cooldown that resummoning them often is no problem. great for dealing with swarms of small enemies.

The spinner is a bit of a mixed bag. On one hand it can OHKO groups of Borg on Defera, but it is not an easy module to use.
    With practice it could be murderous (combined with stealth module?). A true assasin's weapon.

The ambush turrets remind me a bit of a phaser based mines. Personally i like regular mines better on my engineer because the Borg don't adapt to them. On the flip side, the ambush turret is a universal module so all classes can use it.
    Don't think it's my module of choice, but it could have its use.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    You do know a bat'leth with some chroniton mines from an engineer will out dps all of your builds lol.
    You do know a bat'leth with some chroniton mines from an engineer will out dps all of your builds lol.

Unless i am mistaken, swords are rated even higher that a bat'leth. Pure DPS wise chroniton mines rule supreme, perhaps closely followed by graviton. That said, it is not always possible to deliver said DPS with a bat'leth and chroniton mines especially faced with tactical, science or various flying/burrowing NPC.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.

Oh please expand on this.
    I got plenty of Bat'leths and Chroniton Mines.

And what enemy are you getting all this DPS on??

So, Chroniton Mines is your favorite Kit Module, then? Have it on all your Engineer characters?

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    The Fortune Cookie TRIBBLE adds +5 to your RUN SPEED for an hour.

So, yeah, you may want to get this.

The Fortune Cookie TRIBBLE adds +5 to your RUN SPEED for an hour.

So, yeah, you may want to get this.

The terran empire fortune cookie quotes become annoying after a while though.
    The terran empire fortune cookie quotes become annoying after a while though.

Does it still "talk" if you click on it, get the buff then throw it in inventory and stick a useful device in the slot....like Hypos?

Muzzle that thing. LOL!

You know what? On First City....I am seeing Fortune Cookie Tribbles talking....even on characters that do not HAVE a Fortune Cookie Tribble?????

I'm pretty sure the fortunes go into either local or zone chat. :p

After trying the execution spinner... you need a plan to make the more mobile enemies hold still otherwise it fails to activate. ALSO, you can only use it if your selected target is between 6 and 8, regardless of whether other enemies are. But if you are using it on an enemy that likes to stand there or has been forced to be immobile? I once had the mk12 version hit for 2800 damage.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited January 2019
    Oh, on First City...it turns out it was Q flapping his lips...not the Tribble. LOL!

Keep hearing: must be held in place. Quite a bit. What is going on...is that normal for video games to have to freeze the NPC you want to hit? LOL!

The Execution Spinner has a very specific firing arc. It's the first thing in game I can think of that has this type of firing arc, and it's very novel trying to use it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    The Execution Spinner has a very specific firing arc. It's the first thing in game I can think of that has this type of firing arc, and it's very novel trying to use it.

Still too rich for my blood....I will check again next weekend.

Ok, so, testing the agony field generator... I think the radius starts around 60 meters or so. I may or may not have aggroed enemies in other rooms when trying it out. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Ok, so, testing the agony field generator... I think the radius starts around 60 meters or so. I may or may not have aggroed enemies in other rooms when trying it out. :p

Nothing that crazy. It's range is 36.5m

Compared to photon and neutronic mortars which have a 40m range.
    Ah, I see. I was just guessing based on how large it looked inside ships.

Here's a small demo of how the Execution Spinner and sword work:
    https://youtu.be/TVieGqVBZLg
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    So.. important note about the Agony field generator. It has no effect on enemies INSIDE the dome. The effect is only felt by enemies who TOUCH the dome. But since the dome is constantly shrinking, if they're inside they'll eventually touch it. Unless the generator gets destroyed, which can happen.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    How in the heck do you target that at anything? Only on the outside edges??? LOL! Better be practicing.

You don't target it. You place it and as it shrinks it damages any enemy that touches it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited February 2019
    So, today I went to the Academy for the Particle game. I stocked up on those Fek'lhri kit modules from WW. I was trying to do the combination thing.

Not sure it worked all that great with the Engineer. But on the Science lady....she was having a blast. Literally...because I was knocking those Feds back with Sonic Disruption.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Science_Kit_Module_-_Sonic_Disruption

Once they were down, I hit them with either the Cryogenic Stasis Field or Endothermic Induction Field...and sometime I used both, (since targets are few and far between at the Academy)...and set off the Ravager's Barrage.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Science_Kit_Module_-_Cryogenic_Stasis_Field
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Science_Kit_Module_-_Endothermic_Induction_Field

Because I was able to try Ravager's Barrage on my Engineer AND my Scientist...I could see how much of a difference it make to set them off in combination with "something else".

(Of course, if your BOFFs are with you, you don't have to carry everything in your Kit....you could place combo things on your BOFF abilities, too. That may take more practice and testing.)

I will have to work on figuring out some kit module to help out the Engineer. Maybe try a drone of some sort...I have a few laying around somewhere.

Since the enemy targets are few and far between on this Academy events....it does make it easier to see those combinations are working. It is not as if it is in the middle of a Hur'q swarm or Iconian hordes or some ground TFOs trying to translate what is going on with your kit modules.

I still have not had time to look in the Foundry to see if they still have ground test missions anyone can use all the time. Well...at least available when the Foundry is up, anyways.

edited February 2019
    I think the biggest difference I had noticed between Engineering Kits and the Science Kits....was:

The Science Kits were, for the most part, instantaneous activation....as in Click button, boom ability came down on the NPC. Where as the Engineering Kits had an animation associated to them, and it was easier to "deploy" the ability beforehand.

Now, I have slower reaction times, so having something act faster upon clicking on the button sorta makes up for it. By the time the Engineer goes through its motions...it is usually already too late for the ability to do anything for me. LOL!

So....I think it is just two different styles to remember when playing on ground maps. One where I have to think a bit ahead: do this for what is coming. And the other is more of a reaction: this happened, so do this.

This will change IF there were ALL the same Universal Kit Modules in use.
    Maybe the innate Captain's Abilities on Ground might make a difference, though I am not sure it is enough.

I did not run any Tacticals over the weekend, since I did not have one that was leveled up to any extent. So, there may even be a third style option for playing on ground maps. Will have to check some other time.

edited February 2019
    Oh one thing I noticed: I could see if this EP 607 drone does anything at all.
    I wonder if it is some team thing. Is it supposed to do something other than hug your back?

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Universal_Kit_Module_-_Echo_Papa_607_Drone_System

• feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    I wonder if it is some team thing. Is it supposed to do something other than hug your back?

could do great damage.
    felisean wrote: »

could do great damage.

I did not see it (the E.P.) firing disruptors, or deploying Stasis fields. It just flew around hugging my back? I think mine is broken.

Not like the Seeker and Support Drones...I could see them firing beams and chasing after Feds. Seeker was even chasing other players Fed NPCs! LOL! I hope they were grateful. (Wait a min...what about mine over here?)

I can try it (the E.P.) out in a real mission and see how it goes (but that won't be till after the Anniversary Event).

• sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    By the time the Engineer goes through its motions...it is usually already too late for the ability to do anything for me. LOL!
    That why on fast running maps you need drones for support so they can chase you.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
    edited February 2019
    sarah2774 wrote: »
    That why on fast running maps you need drones for support so they can chase you.

I saw this...the drones keep up with you...hopefully, shooting at things (not hugging you).
    But if you use a turret or other stationary fabrications, better be for hunkering down for a fight coming to you.

You know, it might be cool to have cloaking bombs or fields of some sort for Engineers. But then, the cloaking on the Ground maps seem a bit wonky on the Tacs...I thought I read someone saying that. I have to scroll back.

+++++++

And do you have a favorite Kit Module you enjoy using? Tac, Eng, Sci or Uni?

edited February 2019
    So, today, while DOFFing, I ran into my friend ichaerus1 and he told me about this kit module: Repulsor Burst.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Tactical_Kit_Module_-_Repulsor_Burst

He says it has knockback. My favorite! I like watching NPCs go flying around. (It is funny.)
    It sounds very similar to my favorite...the Science one : Sonic Disruption

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Science_Kit_Module_-_Sonic_Disruption

Then I went and looked it up on the Wiki...and...Oh no! It is a Lock Box one. I am thinking is is going to be too rich for my blood... but he runs over to the Exchange and it turns out it is only about 45,000 EC. I am going Huh? That ain't bad!

It is only for my Tactical, and I only have one Tac that is even up to speed. This was totally doable!! :)
    So, maybe I should at least look in the Exchange for these Lockbox Kit modules and other such things. Maybe some of them (older ones ?) are not so bad, price-wise, as I been imagining. And fit closer with what I like to do in the game...which is having fun. When all the advice I see is about DPS and "get done quickly". Should cover all that stuff, too.

Kit modules is such a huge topic. I need to find ways to break it up into blocks that makes sense.
    Post edited by where2r1 on