test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Very Rare bridge officers turns into Rare bridge officers?

wraithknight#4461 wraithknight Member Posts: 78 Arc User
edited December 2018 in The Academy
Over 400,000 credits and 3 different Very Rare (purple) Gorn bridge officers purchased from exchange......

Each one turned into Rare (blue) quality Gorn bridge officers....

Why?!

Are the Science Gorn bridge officers glitched or set to be Rare blue quality only?

INB4: "why do you want Gorn bridge officer?, Orion for that eye candy"

Gorns are cool and I'm eager to see if bridge officers throw boulders if they're angry in ground battles.

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Pretty much all some BOffs just do that. Just ignore it, as their performance doesn't suffer in any way.

Edit: I was mainly thinking of Romulans and Nausicaans, which are two of the very few races I've sought after for their Traits.
    Post edited by tom61sto on
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,950 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    Pretty much all BOffs do that. Just ignore it, as their performance doesn't suffer in any way.
    This hasn't been my experience, but does happen in certain cases. Usually a purple boff candidate results in a purple boff (with full respect to you whom I know as an exceptionally knowledgeable poster). Perhaps there's some races I've missed?

Going back to Gorn boff candidates, I agree just ignore it as their performance doesn't suffer. Yes, they are way cool! I have a toon with a full away team of Gorns and let them loose on Defera (back when you still could) and they were a wrecking crew :smile:

They (gorn boff candidates) have been that way so long I really couldn't tell you if it's an unresolved bug that's so old it's accepted as normal or working as intended. Maybe somebody with a better memory could fill in?

p.s. they don't throw boulders but give a tac gorn boff a bat'leth mixed in with some melee abilities and they live up to their name.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I thought it was because there is no Superior Bite? So Gorn can't get 2 Superior traits, and end up Rare at best. I thought that was the explanation I heard one time. I could be completely wrong.
  • wraithknight#4461 wraithknight Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I just read an old reddit post that romulans and nausicaans has the same glitch.

The gorns I had (dismissed) had "superior" traits but I'm sure they lost the superior trait since that's only on very rare Boffs. I'll try looking for another and if it turns "blue" I'll give it a chance and equip the gorn with Q's Mek'leth to kill the borg easier.

I'm on Xbox, which melee skills recommended for gorn? All we have are sweep and lunge 😫
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    I just read an old reddit post that romulans and nausicaans has the same glitch.

The gorns I had (dismissed) had "superior" traits but I'm sure they lost the superior trait since that's only on very rare Boffs. I'll try looking for another and if it turns "blue" I'll give it a chance and equip the gorn with Q's Mek'leth to kill the borg easier.

I'm on Xbox, which melee skills recommended for gorn? All we have are sweep and lunge 😫

I assume that their animations are the same for console as they are for PC. I always love watching any Boff with a melee weapons, and the Lunge skill. I just enjoy seeing them jump into the enemy, and start tearing them up. You can also test them on old missions that do have Borg on them. Just put one of the ground skills on them, and let them go after the Borg. See which one you prefer.

Hope this helps.

Razar.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    I think it’s just a glitch, my Gorn stayed purple, hopefully they’ll fix it eventually
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    protoneous wrote: »
    tom61sto wrote: »
    Pretty much all BOffs do that. Just ignore it, as their performance doesn't suffer in any way.
    This hasn't been my experience, but does happen in certain cases. Usually a purple boff candidate results in a purple boff (with full respect to you whom I know as an exceptionally knowledgeable poster). Perhaps there's some races I've missed?
    [...]
    [...]

Ah, I was mainly thinking of Romulans and Nausicaans, which are two of the very few races I've sought after for their Traits. Edited original post.
    [...]

I've never had the traits drop on mine when equipping, anything with Superior traits still had them even if the rarity dropped to where it shouldn't have them (I.E. Blue dropping to Green). It's only the Candidate rarity that matters when it comes to traits.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    I've seen it on Saurians, too.

Been a while since I read the explanation, but the gist of it was covered here already.

Just something about certain species traits making purple impossible and so the BOFFs get downgraded when activated.
    Like with the Saurians? I could be wrong but I think that efficient is the difference.

Efficient only comes at one grade. The Saurian either has it or doesn't have it. There is no "Basic Efficiency" or "Superior Efficiency", there is only "Efficient" (call it standard), and so combined with the racial ground traits that they all have, if they have efficient then they can not meet the requirements to be purple (two standard traits, two superior traits).

It's can be a problem for people that want everything all nice and purple, and it's something that I would like to see fixed.

If that means "no purple Saurians (or Gorns or whatever)" then so be it, though I would prefer they just make sure that those traits not conflict with their quality.

Whether that means giving them a higher grade on whatever trait (including inventing higher grades for some traits if needed) or making sure that they leave enough room to fit enough higher grade traits in alongside the standard species traits doesn't much matter to me.
    I just don't think that it's right that someone might think that they are getting a purple BOFF, possibly paying top EC to get one, and then end up with a blue anyway.
  • robertpinner#5866 robertpinner Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    ive had the happen to over 6 science and one tactical gorn on a klingon captain.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited January 2019

No, Rare boffs DO get Superior traits, just one of them instead of two.

You can get cheap blue Romulan SROs instead of paying extra for VR ones with the exact same trait.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Commissioned boffs are not items and therefore have no "rarity." The game simply tries to guess what rarity the candidate (which is an item) had before you commissioned it, based on his traits. It sometimes guesses wrong. This does not affect the boff in any way.