test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Interesting tidbits from Priority One's interview with Geko

somtaawkharsomtaawkhar Member Posts: 10,222 Arc User
I'll leave a link here
http://priorityonepodcast.com/po394/

-Victory is Life was originally going to segway into a different story, one they hope to get back to, before the opportunity to work with the Discovery writers came up and lead to AoD.
-They wanted to get Camille Saviola to play Kai Opaka, but by the time they found out this wouldn't be happening they couldn't change the story so had to get the person they did use.
-Geko says the random TFO system has gotten more people playing more queues saying play time, dil earning, mark earning, etc has doubled.
-He also says this has made problems in some queues become more visible, and they want to fix those.
-The new EP has a focus on monthly events/releases to keep people engaged.
-They apparently have the assets for the new ship seen in the recent Discovery trailer.
-All of the Discovery ships will eventually be made available.
-Geko talked about changing how they do stories, instead of more constant mission A goes to mission B goes to mission C, we will likely see stories pick up, get put on hold for awhile while another story begins, then come back to the first story.(this will be based on what opportunities to work with CBS/show writers come up, see below)
-Geko mentioned the Niagara, New Orleans, Yeager, the Maquis/voyager kitbash ship, Botany Bay as canonical ships they don't have yet.
-Might see the Emmett Till from the DS9 documentary at some point in the future.
-Quality of Life improvement to rep UI is coming soon.(the fill all seen on tribble)
-Wants to get a complete revamp/streamline of reputations by the end of 2019.
-More remasters of old missions and old TFOs
-There have been recent discussions about making reputation items salvageable. Its a long manual task to do.
-Anniversary will be bigger then normal, called Season 16. More then one episode will come with the anniversary.
-More Discovery Klingon ships being made playable are in the pipeline.

Geko: What's the challenge for us is being able to adapt quickly to what comes out, to time it right. Like, if they are going to have a new ship, we can't release the ship before they do, but we want to release it as closely as possible to when they do, and that timing is challenging. They might kill off a character, introduce a new character, change the allegiance of a particular character, and that makes it harder for us to write a story about that character, or that event. Where I'm more used to planning our stories, in quite a bit of detail, 1-2 years ahead of time, we are having to keep it a lot more loose. We have a storyline planned, but what we can do, this is what we are going to do, we have a plan for the next year, these are the actors we want for it, these are the stories we want to go to, but I highly doubt we are going to do that plan. An opportunity is going to come up, and says OK we are going to just add it, we are going to push it out, and we push it out. But in case nothing is available, we have a plan to go. We are having to plan a lot differently then we are used to. Personally for me, whose a bit of a stickler for details, and planning, and organization, and trying to think as many steps ahead as possible, it's a little bit anxiety provoking. But it's also extremely exciting to have those opportunities, to get a phone call from CBS "Hey, how would you like to do this", and its like "Yes that's amazing". So there's good and there's bad, but I think the end product is just going to be better.

Priority One: When you're in your planning for the upcoming year have you had to sort of adjust that so that instead of it being bigger story arcs you have had to sort of break them up into maybe smaller story arcs, so that you don't have to do as much work when there is an opportunity to fit some of that content in, between what pops up?

Geko: I think you're close, you're touching on something a little bit. It's harder to make it a cohesive linear story arc that goes from A, that hands off to B, that hands off to C. Where we're having to more do a story arc where OK A, and then were going to do, OK this opportunity comes up, so we're going to do X, and then Y, and then we'll have to wait, and then well come back to B, and so kinda hand off that way. So I think It'll be interesting. But instead of the, it's not that it's, I guess you call it tighter, just linear story that's just this story, leads to this story, leads to this story, probably some stories will take a pause, and a new one will kick on, and will come on board, and then we'll continue that later and hopefully they all converge nicely toward the end. I'm hoping that it will be better story telling in the end, but it is certainly new ground for us.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    It's possible that the interview was recorded before the release of the New Orleans. That, or he misspoke.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    we don't have the norway class either, and it isn't already in the list; that may have been the ship he actually meant

also...what maquis/voyager hybrid is he talking about? the only maquis ship ever seen in voyager was the Val Jean, chakotay's ship - and that was a maquis raider, which we DO have​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Interesting, I was just thinking about Botany Bay before reading this thread and I would be interested in it. I am still wishing that we could get a T6 Oberth.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    What about Warship Voyager? IIRC it was mentioned in a stream a while back, if they do add it then I hope it gets added to the C-Store like with the Galaxy X.
  • necramancienecramancie Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    -More Discovery Klingon ships being made playable are in the pipeline.

"-More Discovery Klingon ships being made playable are in the pipeline."
    BUT ONLY AS LOCKBOX REWARDS AMIRITE?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,017 Community Moderator
    we don't have the norway class either, and it isn't already in the list; that may have been the ship he actually meant

also...what maquis/voyager hybrid is he talking about? the only maquis ship ever seen in voyager was the Val Jean, chakotay's ship - and that was a maquis raider, which we DO have​​

Yeager. The hybrid is the kitbashed Maquis Raider/Intrepid known as the Yeager. Which basically got mentioned twice.
    latest?cb=20100627011952&path-prefix=en
    Frankly I think its ugly as all hell.
    "-More Discovery Klingon ships being made playable are in the pipeline."
    BUT ONLY AS LOCKBOX REWARDS AMIRITE?

I doubt that. Considering the fact we have 2 Discovery era Fed ships in the C-Store already... we'll get some KDF ones too. It would be HIGHLY unfair to have Fed ones in the C-Store and no Klingon ones. However its possible that they felt there was no equivelent to the Europa/Nimitz, hence why she was a solo release. So maybe we'll get the Sech bundled with the Cardenas?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    So, he probably misspoke then.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    -Geko says the random TFO system has gotten more people playing more queues saying play time, dil earning, mark earning, etc has doubled.
    This I can believe, it certainly have made me way more active on the TFO front. I confess I had my reservations before the system launched, but on the whole I like it. Yes there are stuff that needs fixing - and a great deal o bugs in the TFOs that need some immediate care and attention - but on the whole I like it.
    -Geko talked about changing how they do stories, instead of more constant mission A goes to mission B goes to mission C, we will likely see stories pick up, get put on hold for awhile while another story begins, then come back to the first story.
    Not sure how I feel about this. With proper handling it could be interested, but there need to be one person who's sole job is keeping track of plots and plot threads if this is going to go well. Otherwise we're going to end up with stories and plots that begins but never gets a proper ending to them. But I'll wait and pass judgement once I see how it is handled.
    -Anniversary will be bigger then normal, called Season 16. More then one episode will come with the anniversary.
    Now that I call interesting. I was already looking forward to the Anniversary, I always do, but now I'm really interested.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
    I am also interested in what's going on with the Anniversary...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well New Orleans and Norway both begin with an 'N'. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »

Fjord, bayou, what's the difference? The locals talk funny and eat funny foods in both places.

Do Norway class ships get named after Scandinavian countries like Iceland, Denmark, and Sweden? Or do they get named for cities and regions in Norway like Bergen, Oslo and Troms? (Either way it's a short list.)

I'm not fond of the Norway aesthetic. It looks like a shovel with a broken handle to me. But I'm all in favor of inclusion. More ships is better. I can't imagine the ship class has done anything unique enough to inspire a trait or console. Perhaps a "Difficult Target" trait to emphasize the ship's intended purpose, with some kind of enhanced evasive maneuvers console?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »

Fjord, bayou, what's the difference?

One's an award winning geographic feature. ;)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Well it will be nice to see them going back to major storylines like the Victory is Life. Revisting other storylines not doing them all at once could work too. Given they have assets for new ships maybe they have inside knoweledge and assets for the second season of startrek discovery. Which will be cool, maybe they will be able to release them as time goes by when the second season of discovery has had its course of running. Hopefully we will see the Klingon Discovery ships released for the kdf side. Soon. With the Level scaling they did on the tier one walker, it is a very nice tier one ship. Able to kill stuff with it a lot easier then I would on another ship. Would be nice to see them do it with the other ships like the Tier one Connie.
    But alas I think they will only be doing it for Discovery federation starships and Klingon and mirror starships for now. They very well could make old ships viable again by doing it for most of the tier one ships. Maybe get players to buy them for that purpose.
    Streamlined Reputations A total yes on that one. It takes way to long there is no option to basically buy them out. Doing it in the way they allow players to buyout campaign completions in Neverwinter would be one way they can go with it. I know for sure players would buy those. Given the alternative takes like months day by day of long waits. Reputation Completion tokens would be a nice steamline of the reputations system for sure!
    Post edited by thevampinator on
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Slartibartfast thanks you for remembering.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I doubt that. Considering the fact we have 2 Discovery era Fed ships in the C-Store already...
    I wouldn't call that "2 ships" as these are the Europa, that is actually the T6 version of the Nimitz with the DSC skin as a bonus, and a scaling, weaker version of an already existing lobi ship.

Compare to the Crossfield, the Walker, the Sarcophagus and the Mirror!Engle that are in the boxes.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Already knew it since before ViL launched, but sad to see confirmed that ViL was ditched for AoD.

Probably as much of a chance of them going back to it as more space being added to the Delta Quadrant.
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Already knew it since before ViL launched, but sad to see confirmed that ViL was ditched for AoD.
    This is literally not what he said, in the slightest, nor what I put either.

He said, as I wrote, that ViL was going to lead into a different story. Not that ViL was cut short, or anything like that. All that means is that instead of Martok going "dude, remember Voq, and L'rell, and the Beacon of Kahless!" in the final mission he would have gone "Sorry it took us so long to get here, the Sheliak tried to get in our way!" or some other minor change like that which would have set up the next story arc.

You and I both know ViL is done...they aren't going back...they very rarely ever go back to anything except to slightly modify or delete it...they've never revisited old arcs and added to them. There is nothing to add...the H'urq have been pacified.

ViL was short...because they rushed it to get to AoD, they could have added more playable races instead they went with a rushed Jem'Hadar grunt story.

The content in it wasn't worth being called a expansion...it would take 2 at least 2 or 3 ViL to fill the contents of any other expansion. (Maybe 4 or 5 when it comes to LoR)
    Well cryptic being able to find more developers might help even if they have to resort to no pay community developers and indie developers to help them out with the content. Right now there something like 31 people according to the link below that do all the content in the game at this moment. Not counting the support. I do think that the content droughts could be at least reduced by adding in freelance and independent developers willing to help them out.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Cryptic_Studios
    edited December 2018
    I do think that the content droughts could be at least reduced
    The content drought hasn't been a thing since before Delta Rising hit back in 2014. they solved the content drought problem by not holding everything back for like 2 years.

Content drought like one misson every month or couple of months. They could release more then one mission if they had more inpedendent developers helping out. As that would help a out with the workload I'm sure they have a lot that has to be done not enough time to do it and so forth.
    Not if you need to hire certain individuals for voice overs. Maybe hiring more people will help with designing ships, maps, and even writing the story... but then you bog down with voice actor scheduling.

And then you'll have people screaming for bug fixes, which means hiring mug squishers and trying to teach them how our speggetti code works...

Its a delicate balance right now. And at the moment I think Cryptic's found a bit of that balance due to the fact we get content more often than most MMOs. Sure its not all big stuff, but its virturally constant compared to others.

Honestly the team should get credit for the work they're doing now. Not getting bashed for not doing enough.
    You and I both know ViL is done...they aren't going back...
    I don't disagree, there is no reason too since its over.
    ViL was short
    Incorrect. Not including tutorials, there are 171 missions across 28 story arcs(with tutorials its 206 across 34), giving an average of 6.1 missions per arc(5.9 missions per arc including tutorials). ViL was 7 missions long. It's literally par for a story arc in STO.
    they could have added more playable races
    Not really. As we see in Deep Space 9 itself, the Dominion is highly rigid and organized, with little to no room for changing your carrier.
    -Changelings are the largely unseen gods, and sometimes infiltrate other governments
    -Vorta are the diplomats
    -Jem'Hadar are the soldiers
    -Karemma are the merchants
    Changelings, Vorta, and Karemma, are not military ship captains, nor do they go out and fight battles alongside the Jem'Hadar. The Jem'Hadar are the fighting force for the Dominion, and all species under it. All races live under the "protection" offered by The Dominion via the Jem'Hadar, and none of them are shown to have any military forces besides the Jem'Hadar. It makes no sense to have any of these races be playable because that isn't how the Dominion works, and they have had no reason to change that given how effective its been for literally over 2,000 years.

I also doubt CBS would let Cryptic do it in the first place due to lore reasons, same reason why CBS vetoed the ability to make the android Boff a playable species(because Data was supposed to be unique) back when Cryptic was thinking of letting you promote Boffs into a playable captains so people could play as a Breen, or Jem'Hadar.
    The content in it wasn't worth being called a expansion...it would take 2 at least 2 or 3 ViL to fill the contents of any other expansion. (Maybe 4 or 5 when it comes to LoR)
    This entire argument ignores the differences of how Cryptic did content back during LoR and DR compared to ViL.

In the year or so before LoR dropped we got basically nothing in the way of story missions, and in the 1.5 years between LoR and DR we got 3. Between DR and AoY we got 12(The Iconian War and the first four missions of Future Proof), and between AoY and ViL we got 9(The NEw Forntiers arc and the now moved Survivor mission).

People did nothing but complain about the massive content droughts before LoR and DR, so Cryptic started releasing the story missions that otherwise would have come in the expansions as content between expansions to keep people occupied. Had they not changed from LoR and DR, we would have gotten basically nothing between AoY and ViL, and ViL would instead of had the content it does, and the New Frontiers arc with the Tzenkethi and Drantzuli in it as well, since the Tzenkethi/Drantuli arc was the first half of the Hur'q storyline.

Not to mention the increase in quality of content in ViL compared to past expansions

Sure...the numbers sound great when you skew them that way but you can't throw this into averages like that.

Except reality doesn't work that way...every expansion STO has had has been significantly more than just 7 episodes and a single STF

ViL was short and rushed...AoY was 6 episodes just for the 23rd Century Feds and that doesn't include all the extra missions and STFs added...DR had a lot more than 7 episodes and a lot more than 1 STF. LoR had what 30 missions just for Romulans...I'm not expecting expansions like this for new factions...

Compared to every other expansion, ViL was more like a season than a expansion...AoD isn't even a expansion and it's easily going to be bigger than ViL...heck it's almost the same size now.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    -They apparently have the assets for the new ship seen in the recent Discovery trailer.

What does this mean exactly?
    What ship are we talking about here?
    The Discoveryprise ? Does that mean we'll be getting the Discovery connie in game?

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

This discussion has been closed.