test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Random Task Force Operations - lack of diversity

risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
I know randomness means that it is, in theory, still possible to get the same outcome over and over again.

However, those chances are very small. And they don't match how I have experienced the Random Task Operations.

I've done them somewhere close to 40, maybe 50 times now and about half of those were Romulan Imperial Minefield and Defend Starbase One. Perhaps another quarter were

- missions like Counterpoint, which is also selected quite often
- the three borg space missions (perhaps 8 times or so between the three of them).

The final quarter or so were missions like

- Breach (one time),
- Assault on Terok Nor (2),
- Bug hunt (2)
- Defend Rhiho station (3) and
- Vault ensnared (1).

That leaves dozens of missions that have not been selected once so far. Note also that ground missions are selected far less often than space missions.

One may like that or not, some may be happy with some of these missions being selected more often than others, but this is not the results you should get if the system was truly random. Literally two missions make up half the results, those plus another four account for three quarters of the result and out of the 30-40 missions that remain, only five others have happened so far.

Perhaps it is because I have only played normal missions so far that can also be accessed by lower level players, but even then the results make no sense and one would expect to see different missions pop up more often.

Don't get me wrong, the system was a great idea and the rewards totally make it worth it. But I refuse to believe that some missions are not deliberately being selected more often than others. And frankly, Starbase One gets boring real quick if you have done it a dozen times already. This system should be (and certainly has the potential to be) preventing the feeling that you have played content too often, so please make it so.
Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• risian6#1997 risian6 Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Just realised I did not add Borg Disconnected to the Borg missions. That was part of those 8 encounters mentiond above. Also forgot to mention Azure Nebula, which has happened maybe four times now, similar to Counterpoint.

That means that in total, 4 missions (Starbase one, Romulan Minefield, Azure and Counterpoint) make up the bulk of the results with the first two of those making up close to a third - one half of the overall results. Most other missions, if selected at all, are not selected more than once or twice, and the lion's share of the missions have not been selected at all.
    Formerly known as Risian4. Risian6 is my new PS4-account. Fleetcaptain5 is my main PC account. I hope to actively play again on PC in a few months.

Now that that's made clear... on to the next issue: when are playable Voth coming, and where's are my T7 Vesta and C-store purchasable real life shuttle? :)
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    I think you missed something in the original announcement. This was intended as a "fill in" system, i.e. if someone queues up for a normal or advanced TFO and you queue up for rTFO of that difficulty you'll be pulled in to that queue to pad it up if there's less than five people queuing. Only if no one is queuing short of a full team or if you queue up with a full team of five does the rTFO get selected purely by rng.

The random in rTFO does not mean "selected purely by chance" but as in "you don't know what you'll get". People on here seem to either ignore or not know that random have more than one definition.

What you see is a selection of the queues that people queue up for most, in part because some of those are for the TFO wrapper mission. Others are jut popular.
    But yeah, if you want a rTFO to be selected purely by rng you need to queue up with a team of five.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
    ilithyn wrote: »
    I think you missed something in the original announcement. This was intended as a "fill in" system, i.e. if someone queues up for a normal or advanced TFO and you queue up for rTFO of that difficulty you'll be pulled in to that queue to pad it up if there's less than five people queuing. Only if no one is queuing short of a full team or if you queue up with a full team of five does the rTFO get selected purely by rng.

The random in rTFO does not mean "selected purely by chance" but as in "you don't know what you'll get". People on here seem to either ignore or not know that random have more than one definition.

What you see is a selection of the queues that people queue up for most, in part because some of those are for the TFO wrapper mission. Others are jut popular.
    But yeah, if you want a rTFO to be selected purely by rng you need to queue up with a team of five.

I guess I missed that yeah.

But then it still makes no sense. Where's Crystalline Entity in the results for example? Somehow I find it hard to believe that people are no longer queueing for that. Or Fleet alert to name just two missions one would still expect to see more often then.

Also, if that's really true, then it is a pretty bad design choice. It basically means that the player is still dependent on what others are queuing for. And that players are being pulled in missions that would be played anyway - i.e., that they could just queue for using the regular system.
    The way I understood it, this system was meant to reduce the lack of options and give players more options to play different missions.

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    Yes, it does give more options. It gives you the opportunity to queue for any TFO (normal or advanced) and guarantees that you to be able to play it due to the Random volunteers that will be teamed with you, instead of just sitting and waiting for a queue that may never pop due to lack of other players choosing to queue for it.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Elite and 10 player queues are not in the randomized system.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10994033-introducing:-random-task-force-operations!

How the system works is explained there, no point wondering about it here.
    Except in that notice they specifically say:
    • Have you longed for a greater sense of variety in your daily dose of Star Trek Online group content?
    • Do you ever just want to log into the game and play, without feeling picky about what it is?
    • Have you ever wanted to participate in a forgotten piece of older content, but found the prospect of forming a team cumbersome, if not downright impossible?

The system is not fulfilling two of those three objectives according to the OP.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    where2r1 wrote: »
    • Have you longed for a greater sense of variety in your daily dose of Star Trek Online group content?
    • Do you ever just want to log into the game and play, without feeling picky about what it is?
    • Have you ever wanted to participate in a forgotten piece of older content, but found the prospect of forming a team cumbersome, if not downright impossible?

Yes, it is.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,313 Community Moderator
    One assumes all of those objectives must be mutually inclusive. They are not. Not being picky and wanting to play something in particular (2nd and 3rd points there) are obviously opposing ideas.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    i feel i need to pimp slap those fellas queuing for Days of Doom/Procyon V/Assault on Terror Nor/Gravity Kills and Drannur Guantlet. Horrible missions to pug as they require a aspect of game play not encouraged by STO for a number of years... Teamwork.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • wraithknight#4461 wraithknight Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Wow, on console the PvEs are better, faster and random. I can't believe people like this risian6 are complaining about something that made PvEs better and quicker to play. Where do these ungrateful people come from?
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    i feel i need to pimp slap those fellas queuing for Days of Doom/Procyon V/Assault on Terror Nor/Gravity Kills and Drannur Guantlet. Horrible missions to pug as they require a aspect of game play not encouraged by STO for a number of years... Teamwork.

So get used to teamwork. Ad hoc cooperation is pretty much built in to human behavior.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Last night I did 3 randoms. Borg Disconnected, Dranuur Colony Defense and Borg Disconnected again.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User

So get used to teamwork. Ad hoc cooperation is pretty much built in to human behavior.

I'm fine with teamwork. i can't speak for the other 4 team members
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Only takes 1 player who wants to farm X marks to get 4 other people stuck in the same couple TFOs all night.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    warpangel wrote: »

Yes, it is.
    Not for everyone its not. Since the changes a lot of players are having less variety and many more like myself have just stopped running missions because of the changes. Its has been a badly implanted system that benefited one group of players but hurt another group. All because of bad design that could have been avoided.

Like a lot of people I went form running queue missions daily to not running any in months. The opposite to what was intended as the change made it harder and more cumbersome for me to get into the missions I want to play. In the circle of people I play with the change has done massive harm for no real benefit.

Wow, on console the PvEs are better, faster and random. I can't believe people like this risian6 are complaining about something that made PvEs better and quicker to play. Where do these ungrateful people come from?
    Why should we be grateful that many missions got made harder to get into, wait time has been massively increased and variety has been made worse? Overall this change has had a massive negative impact on players like myself to the point where it has ruined PvE for many. A big chunk of missions that used to be played have been killed off by the change.
    edited December 2018

Yes, it is.

All it did was move the bar of which variety of STF "pops". It is just a different set of missions from where it started off.
    It went from STF #1. #2. #3. #4, #5 always busy....and switched it to STF #4, #5, #6, #7, #8.

What players (like the OP) expected: the system flipping them between STF #1, #2, #3, #4, #5......#47, #48, #49, #50.

How many have actually been able to participate in "a forgotten piece of older content"???
    Yes, you CAN get a team faster....I will give you that.....but that is not the same as a variety of all the STF missions.

++++++++++++++++++

The Devs were asking why players pick and choose only a handful of STFs...they have 50 different queues.
    The players responded: We want to play the other ones, but no one is ever "in line".

They tried changing the way the UI sorts them, in hopes more people would find the "forgotten" STFs.
    They tried removing the ability to see how many players there were waiting, so people would quit rejecting it due to no one waiting in line.

Now, they are trying fill with random players....and there is still content in the STFs that is untouched.

AND, on top of that, from other threads I have read, people are now finding it impossible to run Elite or 10 player.
    And I am a Solo player....and it is bad when I can see: this is NOT working out the way it was envisioned.

+++++++++++++++++++++

EDIT: The devs, also, mentioned they were going to put in fixes for STFs that players found issues with. And asked for feedback on that effort. I have no idea if that is taking place at all. They are trying to juggle too many changes in this game, right now.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    > @where2r1 said:
    > Except in that notice they specifically say:
    >
    > * Have you longed for a greater sense of variety in your daily dose of Star Trek Online group content?
    > * Do you ever just want to log into the game and play, without feeling picky about what it is?
    > * Have you ever wanted to participate in a forgotten piece of older content, but found the prospect of forming a team cumbersome, if not downright impossible?

If there is one thing you learn about the News Announcement Blogs - they are never known for their clarity and precision in what they state. Many times mistakes from the past are directly copy/pasted into the next iteration without modification.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

Typically the more a game emphasizes team mechanics the more widely they're picked up in the population. For years STO fixated around a small set of queues with reliable populations which didn't feature team mechanics beyond "everyone go to the same side first in ISA." The other queues were available on a much more limited basis. That dynamic has changed but the population hasn't necessarily caught up yet. So, let people work through it. Behavior doesn't change instantaneously and the most helpful thing anyone (dev or player) can do is simply try to lead by example in game. ;)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited December 2018

Typically the more a game emphasizes team mechanics the more widely they're picked up in the population. For years STO fixated around a small set of queues with reliable populations which didn't feature team mechanics beyond "everyone go to the same side first in ISA." The other queues were available on a much more limited basis. That dynamic has changed but the population hasn't necessarily caught up yet. So, let people work through it. Behavior doesn't change instantaneously and the most helpful thing anyone (dev or player) can do is simply try to lead by example in game. ;)
    Yet I had to abandon all my team builds and still cannot use them today or I get hit by the penalties the devs put in. Even in ISA people used to like team work builds but you never see them today. Leading by example often gets us punished and/or shouted at by other players. Plus I don't think the devs want team work as they have been removing more and more of it out of the game and dumbing down the content that did require team work. STO used to have great teamwork but the devs have been stripping it all away over the years and putting in punishments for those that do focus on to much team work.

The dynamic has not changed recently, the devs are fixated on reducing teamwork in STO. Just look at all the queue and event revamps where team work has been stripped out or dumbed down. Given what the devs have done its no wonder team work is in such a bad state.

For me the Random Task Force changes destroyed the last of the team work I was experiencing in this game. It’s the nail in the coffin that has made me give up on team work in STO.
    Post edited by pottsey5g on
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    did 2 RTFOs today. The Borg one where you protect Kang on advanced... where we got overwhelmed by the trash mobs.... Someone did a very efficient job of smashing the shipyards but didn't bother with cleanup. At the end there was around a dozen ships attacking Kang...

Then there was Storming the Spire...which pops up in my RTFOs a lot for reasons I don't understand.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Yes, it is.

All it did was move the bar of which variety of STF "pops". It is just a different set of missions from where it started off.
    It went from STF #1. #2. #3. #4, #5 always busy....and switched it to STF #4, #5, #6, #7, #8.

What players (like the OP) expected: the system flipping them between STF #1, #2, #3, #4, #5......#47, #48, #49, #50.
    Then that's their fault for not reading the announcement that very clearly says it fills up waiting queues first and only rolls dice if everything is empty.
    How many have actually been able to participate in "a forgotten piece of older content"???
    Yes, you CAN get a team faster....I will give you that.....but that is not the same as a variety of all the STF missions.
    As many as have tried. For the queues that are included in the system anyway. This does, of course, involve selecting those queues yourself, not blind jumping into the filler queue, letting others pick for you and moaning when they'd rather play ISA.
    The Devs were asking why players pick and choose only a handful of STFs...they have 50 different queues.
    The players responded: We want to play the other ones, but no one is ever "in line".

They tried changing the way the UI sorts them, in hopes more people would find the "forgotten" STFs.
    They tried removing the ability to see how many players there were waiting, so people would quit rejecting it due to no one waiting in line.

Now, they are trying fill with random players....and there is still content in the STFs that is untouched.
    Yeah, surprise surprise, the content that's fast, easy and highly rewarding is still popular, who ever would've guessed.

You can pick the "untouched" queues yourself and get them filled with randos (if the queue is in the system) or you can be filler for someone else's selection. Obviously not both at the same time.
    AND, on top of that, from other threads I have read, people are now finding it impossible to run Elite or 10 player.
    And I am a Solo player....and it is bad when I can see: this is NOT working out the way it was envisioned.
    Because those reward so poorly compared to Random Advanced nobody wants to play them anymore.

Which is not to say they were at all well-rewarded to begin with, if you actually did the math reward/time, but the randoms really drive the point home because it doesn't even require any math to see the Random Advanced always pays better than Elite.

'This risian6' is complaining about a lack of diversity. Better get used to it, it's a habit of mine.

Nice to meet you too btw.

Yes, it is.

Then that's their fault for not reading the announcement that very clearly says it fills up waiting queues first and only rolls dice if everything is empty.
    As many as have tried. For the queues that are included in the system anyway. This does, of course, involve selecting those queues yourself, not blind jumping into the filler queue, letting others pick for you and moaning when they'd rather play ISA.

Yeah, surprise surprise, the content that's fast, easy and highly rewarding is still popular, who ever would've guessed.

You can pick the "untouched" queues yourself and get them filled with randos (if the queue is in the system) or you can be filler for someone else's selection. Obviously not both at the same time.
    Because those reward so poorly compared to Random Advanced nobody wants to play them anymore.

Which is not to say they were at all well-rewarded to begin with, if you actually did the math reward/time, but the randoms really drive the point home because it doesn't even require any math to see the Random Advanced always pays better than Elite.

True, I have overlooked that bit about what constitutes 'randomness' here (or perhaps I didn't, I've been away for a few months so that may be it. Anyway). But let's be honest, in a game that's full of truly randomised stuff and boxes, it would be nice to have a truly randomised system for queues as it could bring some much needed diversity to what missions one can play.

Especially since they removed the numbers that indicated how many players were in a queue.

Granted, and linking back to what @baddmoonrizin said; I have played more different missions than probably would have been possible without the system. But that doesn't mean it's perfect and that there is no room for improvement.

I certainly think a truly randomised system would mean improvement.

Yes, it is.

True, I have overlooked that bit about what constitutes 'randomness' here (or perhaps I didn't, I've been away for a few months so that may be it. Anyway). But let's be honest, in a game that's full of truly randomised stuff and boxes, it would be nice to have a truly randomised system for queues as it could bring some much needed diversity to what missions one can play.
    As I said, one can play ALL the missions included in the system just fine, by selecting them manually.
    I don't. The current system supports players' ability to choose what they want to play that would be lost if the system didn't fill waiting queues.
    edited December 2018

Yes, it is.

As I said, one can play ALL the missions included in the system just fine, by selecting them manually.
    I don't. The current system supports players' ability to choose what they want to play that would be lost if the system didn't fill waiting queues.
    You know that’s not 100% correct as we can no longer play all missions just fine. The current system reduced support to play all missions and needs tweaking to make all missions playable again. The new system killed off playing around 1/3 of the missions. From that point of view it’s been a disaster. There is room for lots of improvement.

The missions I used to play before this system came out are no longer playable due to bad design changes in the system.
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    The Random Queue system aka random task force operation. Was something did they with Neverwinter and happened to port over to Star Trek Online as it works the same basically in a similar if not the same as Neverwinters Random Queue System. The lack of diversity is because for the most part it is not random, only if no queues are selected by other players in any way is it random according to the thread badmoon linked above . Basically its fills up queues that are being queued for normally, but in a random fashion and in this manner it speeds up the process sometimes but makes it seem like there is only certain queues being selected by the player base well it could be the case sometimes. Now if they removed the selecting of queues players have already queued up for factor and keep the truly random factor it would fix the issue. I think cryptic wanted to make it more like the system they put into place with Neverwinter. So that is why it works the way it does possibly I could be wrong. But I might mot be as I noticed this tread before when they added that horrible horrible grind exp to level sixty to sto then did the same thing for Neverwinter. They reduced the exp needed for both games to get to level sixty and seventy respectively. Because of how much of a hassle it was for the player bases of Neverwinter and Star Trek Online.
    Post edited by thevampinator on
This discussion has been closed.