test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Discoprise might change.......yay :D

124»

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    uhhh...self-inflating life rafts, which have been in widespread use for literal DECADES?

How are you inflating it in space? Where is the gas stored? How is the Enterprise storing three times its own volume in decoy and the requisite gas? And above all, why is the Enterprise storing that? Launch a drone with a sensor field around it like the Romulans did in ENT a century earlier.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Guys... as interesting as this debate over the rubber ducky Enterprise is becoming... I think you guys are wrong about the size.

Take a CLOSER look at the screenshot.
    320x240.jpg
    Notice anything? If it was being inflated right out of the shuttlebay... wouldn't the Starboard Nacelle on the actual Enterprise be in FRONT of the decoy and not BEHIND?

The decoy is closer to the "camera" than the Enterprise, meaning we have a perspective difference rather than a size difference.
    I know I'm probably gonna get flak for this but I gotta have a comparison shot to demonstrate perspective.
    demon_in_the_distance_by_rattler20200_db1in9h-fullview.jpg
    According to the current debate, this would clearly show Sunset is bigger than Shin Godzilla. Which is not true. The PERSPECTIVE makes her look bigger. However the truth is that Godzilla is actually a LOT farther away from the camera than Sunset is.

This is actually easier to judge based on terrain however. The Decoy and the Enterprise, on the other hand, are harder to judge because we don't have terrain to accurately judge distance. So we have to use what is available, such as the Enterprise herself. And based on what I'm seeing... the Decoy is actually not directly behind the Enterprise, but some distance away to Starboard, as indicated by the fact its visually blocking parts of the actual Enterprise.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    uhhh...self-inflating life rafts, which have been in widespread use for literal DECADES?

How are you inflating it in space? Where is the gas stored? How is the Enterprise storing three times its own volume in decoy and the requisite gas? And above all, why is the Enterprise storing that? Launch a drone with a sensor field around it like the Romulans did in ENT a century earlier.​​
    How? By putting gas in it? Where do you store it? In compressed tanks aboard the Enterprise.
    In the vacuum of space, you don't need that much gas pressure to inflate something, provided it's light and flexible enough.
    Whether whatever you have there would look remotely like a starship on sensors is another matter.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Guys... as interesting as this debate over the rubber ducky Enterprise is becoming... I think you guys are wrong about the size.

320x240.jpg
    Notice anything? If it was being inflated right out of the shuttlebay... wouldn't the Starboard Nacelle on the actual Enterprise be in FRONT of the decoy and not BEHIND?

The decoy is closer to the "camera" than the Enterprise, meaning we have a perspective difference rather than a size difference.
    I know I'm probably gonna get flak for this but I gotta have a comparison shot to demonstrate perspective.
    demon_in_the_distance_by_rattler20200_db1in9h-fullview.jpg
    According to the current debate, this would clearly show Sunset is bigger than Shin Godzilla. Which is not true. The PERSPECTIVE makes her look bigger. However the truth is that Godzilla is actually a LOT farther away from the camera than Sunset is.

This is actually easier to judge based on terrain however. The Decoy and the Enterprise, on the other hand, are harder to judge because we don't have terrain to accurately judge distance. So we have to use what is available, such as the Enterprise herself. And based on what I'm seeing... the Decoy is actually not directly behind the Enterprise, but some distance away to Starboard, as indicated by the fact its visually blocking parts of the actual Enterprise.

I'm sorry, but ths is too good an opportunity:

https://youtu.be/MMiKyfd6hA0

Beware, may not be SFW. I didn't actually check, but it's Father Ted, so...

EDIT: Neverminded, it's safe. Just watched it through.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    How? By putting gas in it? Where do you store it? In compressed tanks aboard the Enterprise.
    It makes more sense to store it as a solid or liquid, and have it undergo a chemical reaction to turn into a gas. This is how we have gotten rockets into space for 50 years or so. Should still be possible in the far future.
    rattler2 wrote: »

320x240.jpg

Yes. You're correct. It's a really small image. This shot is from after it's already been inflated and is flying alongside the Enterprise.

Which means the Enterprise only needs to carry enough gas to fill a 1:1 scale version of itself and not a upscale of itself.

Though as it's the animated series it's always possible it could be both coming out the shuttlebay and in front of the nacelles. This is the show that forgets to animate peoples lower halves or gives people wrong coloured arms and so on.
    Whether whatever you have there would look remotely like a starship on sensors is another matter.

Yes. That was my point. I'm sure you could technobabble a way of using the replicators to produce enough gas for the decoy (probably by using the same replicators Voyager uses for its never ending stream of shuttles, the real stupid part is using an inflatable version of your ship at all.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    You guys do realize that gases are compressible, right? (Up to a certain point, admittedly, after which they change phase to liquid and become significantly less compressible.)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Launch a drone with a sensor field around it like the Romulans did in ENT a century earlier.​​
    I actually dislike the use of "sensor" anything in the Trek universe because the rules vary from one story to the next. Sometimes they vary within the story.

I'm not opposed to high-tech observation tools in fiction, just how they are erratically used in Trek.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    Well, this thread seems to be going... horribly. Let's everyone calm down a bit. And perhaps stay on topic. Thanks.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    On topic?

Anyone think DSC S2 is going to make the Conni inflatable?​​

#TASforSTO