What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Discoprise might change.......yay :D

smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Please no. I want the Discovery Enterprise to look like something that was created recently not 50 years ago.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Please no. I want the Discovery Enterprise to look like something that was created recently not 50 years ago.
    Agreed. I loved that old show, still do - but its strength lay in neither set design nor ship design, but rather in the stories told and the actors telling them. Redesigning the look of the Connie isn't exactly going to break this old fan's heart.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options

If Star Wars can get away with retro, so can Trek.

Some of us LIKE the TOS look ~GASP!!!!!~
    bzk74q9.jpg
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The DSC Enterprise is already Prime. You can't retcon something to something it already is.

It is however a retcon to the Pilot version not the TOS version.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Can somebody please summarize the case?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »

trek yards went over a new released Disco clip, showing the filming bits, and new orthos is on the display, behind Burnham. And it looks a LOT different than the disco prise we saw, and a lot more TOS looking.

YAY. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »
    The DSC Enterprise is already Prime. You can't retcon something to something it already is.

It is however a retcon to the Pilot version not the TOS version.​​

Or they are changing it as the original designs has, before the CG guys took over. ;)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User

bzk74q9.jpg

Star Wars gets away with it because their designs never looked to be made on the cheap. In fact Star Wars ship design has influenced sci-fi space movies designs ever since.
    Its real telling that when Roddenberry got money to make Star Trek (TMP) he changed all the designs
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options

It is however a retcon to the Pilot version not the TOS version.

Or they are changing it as the original designs has, before the CG guys took over. ;)

I don't know what you're saying there. Who's 'they'? Which 'original'? What 'CG'?

trek yards went over a new released Disco clip, showing the filming bits, and new orthos is on the display, behind Burnham. And it looks a LOT different than the disco prise we saw, and a lot more TOS looking.

YAY. :)

Umm, not 'yay'. Unless the sip receives a refit in the half a second between the end of DSCS1 and the start of DSCS2 then it's more likely it's near the end of S2 and it's being refited into its WNM config. I thought you were against retcons.

Also, looking more like the TOS version is bad right? Unless it's a one hundred percent clone like the one in ENT (except for being twice the size) you're still going to complain.
    I've seen the image, it's the same as the one from DSCS1 but with straighter pylons. It still has all the other features like the windows and chunky nacelles that you complained about originally.​​

Oh, I am....I'm interested in are they gonna make it less smeggy this time. Also, Seeing the data on the screen behind Burham, it seems they are reverting to the original size. So, yay.

We'll find out in time, won't we? Maybe the studio is maybe listening to the fans....oh, I know....to hell with the fans, right? That's why SW fans got pissed off, and Doctor Who is starting to suffer as well.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    khan5000 wrote: »

bzk74q9.jpg

Star Wars gets away with it because their designs never looked to be made on the cheap. In fact Star Wars ship design has influenced sci-fi space movies designs ever since.
    Its real telling that when Roddenberry got money to make Star Trek (TMP) he changed all the designs

Star Wars always looked cheap to me...like Red Green and Bob Villa made all the stuff.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, I am....I'm interested in are they gonna make it less smeggy this time.

They did. IT was called TMP.
    Also, Seeing the data on the screen behind Burham, it seems they are reverting to the original size. So, yay.

There is no original size. No figure has ever been given in a canonical production.
    We'll find out in time, won't we? Maybe the studio is maybe listening to the fans....oh, I know....to hell with the fans, right?

Fans bitc.hed about the Sech. You got a K't'inga. fans bitc.hed about the bald Klingons. You got hair. Fans bitc.hed about the angled pylons. You got straight ones. I can't tell what fanbois are more angry about. Not being listened to or being listened to and having to find even more insignificant things to complain about.
    That's why SW fans got pissed off, and Doctor Who is starting to suffer as well.

SW is a good comparison. TFA was to similar to the OT and fanbois wet themselves. TLJ was to different so fanbois wet themselves.

It's up to Disney to do with their own franchise as it is up to CBS to do with theirs. Don't like it? Come up with several billion dollars and buy it off of them and make your own fanfiction. Or else just don't watch it.

DW is currently divisive because any complaints about bad writing or a weak and inconsistent main character are dismissed. Nothing to do with being similar to previous versions of the show because, unlike SW or ST, DW undergoes massive shifts in tone every so often.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Based on the screenshot I'm seeing... the pylons are the SAME as on the initial model, but straighter.
    Honestly I liked the swept back pylons a bit more. Would make refitting her into the TMP variant a bit easier because less structure you have to strip and redo. Same with the secondary hull being a bit more rounded like the TMP variant while keeping elements of the TOS. And the neck can be extended a bit to add in the Torp launcher.

I still respect the original, as it was the ship that spawned the franchise we all love. But I do have to say that she was a product of her time, and looked somewhat fragile (looking at you pylons and neck). My personal take on the Discovery variant is that they did an amazing job modernizing the classic look. Beefed up the neck so it doesn't look like you can just slice through it.

We all have our preferences on designs. I don't hate the classic, but I was more partial to the TMP refit to be honest. Like it or not, you have to admit that at least the Discovery variant isn't as radical as the Kelvin Timeline. I kinda like the gunmetal grey a bit more than the stark white. And I absolutely LOVE the glowing warp field grills.

But that is my own personal preference. Would I call for a total retcon of the TOS into the Discovery style? No. She's fine as is. And with the show being 10 years before TOS... that does leave room for a refit. Don't forget that the Enterprise was originally launched around 2245, so she's already at least 20 years old by the time Kirk takes command. There's room for the Discovery configuration between launch and TOS.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Based on the screenshot I'm seeing... the pylons are the SAME as on the initial model, but straighter.
    Honestly I liked the swept back pylons a bit more. Would make refitting her into the TMP variant a bit easier because less structure you have to strip and redo. Same with the secondary hull being a bit more rounded like the TMP variant while keeping elements of the TOS. And the neck can be extended a bit to add in the Torp launcher.

I still respect the original, as it was the ship that spawned the franchise we all love. But I do have to say that she was a product of her time, and looked somewhat fragile (looking at you pylons and neck). My personal take on the Discovery variant is that they did an amazing job modernizing the classic look. Beefed up the neck so it doesn't look like you can just slice through it.

We all have our preferences on designs. I don't hate the classic, but I was more partial to the TMP refit to be honest. Like it or not, you have to admit that at least the Discovery variant isn't as radical as the Kelvin Timeline. I kinda like the gunmetal grey a bit more than the stark white. And I absolutely LOVE the glowing warp field grills.

But that is my own personal preference. Would I call for a total retcon of the TOS into the Discovery style? No. She's fine as is. And with the show being 10 years before TOS... that does leave room for a refit. Don't forget that the Enterprise was originally launched around 2245, so she's already at least 20 years old by the time Kirk takes command. There's room for the Discovery configuration between launch and TOS.

But as Doug Drexler would say, "that's ape brain thinking" The Connie is supposed to be the creation of a civilization FAR more advanced than US. You can't imagine materials and techniques that can be super strong, but look slender? Doug designed the Universe class with that in mind. Hell, the tos Enterprise withstood a nuclear explosion at close range, and nothing shattered on it....seems pretty darn strong to durable to me.

And the Menagerie showed the slim, slender Enterprise. For me, that's it, nuff said. I really don't see the need for retcons or visual reboots, I never understood the need for those, or remakes in general. And the gun metal grey looks damned ugly, like it's made of brushed steel or something. Love the white, does not look so sinister as grey does.

To me, the original worked just fine. Doctor Who kept the Tardis a police box, yet those are pretty much extinct. Star Wars still had the X-Wings, TIE Fighters, and the Falcon intact (they even kept the old, 70's Atari graphics targeting computer). And I say the original connie was, and IS fine as is.

SXlDLzr.jpg

gCPPuS8.jpg

dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    Pretty sure the Enterprise had her shields up too, which would negate a rather large portion of that blast. Besides... a nuke is nothing compared to a Photon Torpedo or a sustained beam attack.

Honestly comparing her to the Universe class isn't really viable because that's... what? 300 years difference? Also other than in a few places, Star Wars tech is actually rather stagnant whereas Star Trek tech actually does advance. We have seen miniturization and other things to indicate advancement, but for the most part the technology hasn't changed all that much from the beginning of the Clone Wars to the Resistance/First Order conflict. Hell... that doesn't even come to the amount of difference between TOS and TNG in terms of years and technological development. Also... advancing to the most advanced tech available is a LOT easier when its not galaxy wide. First Order TIEs and Resistance X-Wings are more advanced then their predessesors, but not by much. More like the difference between an old F-15 and the current F-22. Not like the leap between a P-51 and an F-22.

Anyways... I'm still saying there's room for the Discovery configuration to exist as well due to the age of the Connie class. That's it. They did a good job designing her, I like many of the elements, but I won't say totally replace the TOS model with her. Retcon the Cage variant is fine, but not the acutal TOS one. We still have time for a refit into the TOS style before Kirk takes command.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    Hell, if you include the KotOR games, which were in continuity until after the sale to Disney, Star Wars tech hasn't changed significantly in four thousand years, and in fact has degenerated over time (that little pistol that Leia pulled out in RotJ? I had one that size in KotOR that could have taken out the entire legion of stormtroopers solo without reloading).

I don't really think we want Trek to be more like Star Wars, do you?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    But the Discoprise is the only ship I've seen from that show that I thought looked good! I think the NX-influences are a nice touch. I'm even starting to lean toward liking it better than Gabe Koerner's Enterprise.
    04703ad893b0a78e7df97bc8d7c3600d.jpg
  • Options
    The one thing I will give the Koerner design is the torpedo launcher. Its still kinda "where is the torp launcher?" on the TOS design. A detail shared by the Discovery variant.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Hell, if you include the KotOR games, which were in continuity until after the sale to Disney, Star Wars tech hasn't changed significantly in four thousand years, and in fact has degenerated over time (that little pistol that Leia pulled out in RotJ? I had one that size in KotOR that could have taken out the entire legion of stormtroopers solo without reloading).

I don't really think we want Trek to be more like Star Wars, do you?

Then there is the technology of The Old Republic that we never hear of in the Clone Wars or any of the movies. Personally, I am thinking that the Jedi limits technological advancement. Either that or The Old Republic takes place in a parallel universe.
  • Options
    I don't think anything changes. I saw the video was over 90 minutes and skimming through the picture never changed, which means the two just gush and create a rumour over nothing. I like trekyards okay, but this seems like midnight's edge levels of nothing.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @starkaos said:
    > jonsills wrote: »
    >
    > Hell, if you include the KotOR games, which were in continuity until after the sale to Disney, Star Wars tech hasn't changed significantly in four thousand years, and in fact has degenerated over time (that little pistol that Leia pulled out in RotJ? I had one that size in KotOR that could have taken out the entire legion of stormtroopers solo without reloading).
    >
    > I don't really think we want Trek to be more like Star Wars, do you?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Then there is the technology of The Old Republic that we never hear of in the Clone Wars or any of the movies. Personally, I am thinking that the Jedi limits technological advancement. Either that or The Old Republic takes place in a parallel universe.

It's actually stated directly in KOTOR1 (I think on Tatooine but don't quote me on it) that technology in the setting hasn't changed on any fundamental level (e.g. going from manufacturing hand tools to robotics) in centuries, they just figure out how to fine-tune existing tech and implement it in new forms. It suggests a world where the scientists completed their understanding of basic physics a long time ago and there really isn't anything new that can be learned.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    I don't think anything changes. I saw the video was over 90 minutes and skimming through the picture never changed, which means the two just gush and create a rumour over nothing. I like trekyards okay, but this seems like midnight's edge levels of nothing.
    Ohh boy another Trek Yards video based entirely on TRIBBLE suppositions like "Eaglemoss is canon so Discovery is now retconing itself back to correct sizes!", when, by CBS's own rules, nothing outside of the TV shows/movies is canon, thus none of the Eaglemoss sizes were canon, thus, Discovery ships being "oversized" was never canon, thus the Disco-prise was NEVER oversized to begin with.

Watching these two idiots talk makes me sad they get so much attention.

I've just rechecked their chanel and on top of their 1:14:23 video from yesterday they have another 22:07 one from today based around the same image.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    TrekYards can be objective in their reviews of ship designs, but sometimes they do let personal preferences and/or opinions slip through.

Frankly... treating them like an official news source isn't really viable. You wanna get a technical breakdown of a ship and their opinion on the design? That's fine. But trying to cite them as a news source is not a good idea. It would be like citing one of us forumites as an official source for news on the development of STO.
  • Options
    > @artan42 said:.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I've just rechecked their chanel and on top of their 1:14:23 video from yesterday they have another 22:07 one from today based around the same image.​​

That's how I got the 90 mins 😁
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • Options
    > @artan42 said:.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I've just rechecked their chanel and on top of their 1:14:23 video from yesterday they have another 22:07 one from today based around the same image.

That's how I got the 90 mins 😁

Oooh. You added them together. That's too complex a maths for me. Show off pig-10.gif.​​

#TASforSTO