test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do you miss the most from the 8 years of Star Trek Online

I have to say the biggest thing I miss is the old Tour of the Universe. Everyone would meet at the bar on ESD and get the mission and wait until it started. Then it was a huge race to beam out and get to your ship. After above you could see numerous ships warp out. You could sit in sector space and watch the Indy 500 go. I used to enjoy sitting along the main race route and grant dip. immunity to fellow racers.
Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I miss shooting at the mountains of Tribbles and the satisfaction of seeing them go up in massive explosions. LOL! In the "Exploration" missions.

That was hilarious!!
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    I personally miss the exploration clusters, as buggy as they were.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    The nebulae Exploration missions. Yes, I know they weren't the best, but they were something. :smirk:

Also, the way the Mission Journal was set up before this recent change. I'm not terribly fond of the change. :unamused:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    A reason to play more than just the 5-15 min a day it takes to tag whatever current event happens to be running.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Yeah, this game has turned into some sort of endless "quest" for resources and tokens....hasn't it?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    I miss not having a landing page that bugs out after nearly every patch and have to spend a week closing the Tribble thing on every character on my account when I login and cycle through them to restart Admiralty/Doffing/R&D/Refine dil and Reps.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    first foundry reward system with old esd dance clicky missions...
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I miss the gaps between missions when you weren't high level enough for the next mission and had to go out and patrol or something before your next mission prompt. It would pop up in the middle of what you were doing and it was like the TV shows where an admiral call you out of the blue and says, "Hey, got a job for you..."
  • roguealltrekroguealltrek Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    I miss exploration and a active player base the most.

I also miss the variety of things to do why there is still a lot to do most of it feels either worthless now just a solo clicking fest you half to get out of the way to do something else.

And i miss the ground zones full of people on different tasks made the places feel alive and social in more ways then just political and endless arguing debating. People use to help out chat about the latest addition and otherwise joke and carry on.

I miss the fire caves and the story as to how the tfo for the mirror ds9 came about. The removed content in general that had no reason to leave other than a select few did not like ground or the missions. Its a mmo diversity and options are the spice of life not what we have narrowed down to that seams it was built only for a special subset of players =(

I miss a active addition to the c store of items ship skins and bridges, clothing options, weapons and combat pets. Now its all in a lobi dil or lockbox random opening.

Thats all i care to think of at this time but i feel sad over all for the games current state.
    To be or not to be: B)
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    I miss exploration (the missions and just general exploring so that the galaxy seemed a bit unknown).

I also miss the Foundry, which hasn't been gone long, but wow, I sure miss it.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
    Well what I think they are doing with the missions they took out with discovery is redoing the order they are in. Maybe putting them in their own seperate arc. I did like the way they redid several of them and added an npc to guide you and talk with you. Made it more hands on. You could say, I also like the changes they did with the Vulcan to P'jem mission. How the Klingon Captain was not just oh you insulted my honor by not trusting us goes to attack you hes diplomatic and reasonable now and they made it where he didn't die and maybe will be involved in a future mission.

I did miss the Diplomatic missions and the first contact ones. Exploration is a big part of the startrek experiance. First Contacts and Diplomatic situations are what make Star Fleet the way it is.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Having the time to admire your ship in space combat instead of endlessly spamming all the abilities while breaking the latest cheese-mechanic of the month because it's too obnoxious to play the intended way(kill it before it can do anything while spamming immunities).

By proxy, I miss the chill exploration clusters that let you feel like/imagine you were a lone starship out exploring the unknown - like the shows. It was an.. experience.. that existed more in my own mind than mechanically within the game, but it's incredibly difficult to abstract your own storytelling overtop of the overbearing narrative of the content that's still left in the game/gets all the development time(the closest are probably the battlezones, but those are combat swarming 24/7). Unfortunately, the foundry's linear mission structure is too constrictive to really allow the creation of a proper sandbox/exploration experience. I've tried many times, and want nothing more, than to build an entire solar star system that you're able to freely zip around, explore, and interact with.. but the system just doesn't support deviancy from linear narrative/objective persistence through map transitions.
  • walaskalawalaskala Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    The Klingon computer voice.
    edited December 2018
    Well that maybe will bring hope they will update the Klingon storyline missions.
    So far I think they have done a good job. They also might add in discovery references like you said.
  • saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    Pre-Reputation STF's. The rep system is great for a lot of people but I preferred gearing toons before the rep system.
  • captwinters1701captwinters1701 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    Starships flying around inside the old original Starbase orbiting Earth
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Definitely Starbase 24 especially solo SB24.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    edited December 2018
    Well that maybe will bring hope they will update the Klingon storyline missions.
    They have stated several times in the last 2 years that they really want to redo the KDF missions, citing the Fek'Ihri and Warzone arcs specifically, but that's always been something that they haven't had time for due to everything else.

Well there really isn't much an excuse not to do it now. While they are doing the Federation Klingon War Side. I do think they can pull some devs from other mmos for discovery as needed and vice versa for content for Cryptics other mmos, we know Cryptic is working on Magic the Gathering Online, They might many of their devs working on it or new devs. If they got most of it done already then maybe they can pull a few off that project. We might see a few updated missions next discovery update for the missions they just took out. It may even become a cross faction optional arc. The Ironic thing is I believe Kdf and Romulan republic might even have more missions now. if you look at episode Journel for Kdf and Romulan factions. They have 16 episode tabs on the episode screen and the Federation has 13 episode tabs. But before I believe it might have been like that they just had like three mission arcs in one mission tab and now they don't.
    edited December 2018
    I would like to maybe see the old tutorial or a version of it maybe restored as an optional one or maybe even have the option of having different sets of bridge officers. That we can pick out. Q Missions would be nice to have back maybe. Don't know why they decided to Remove them. I never got to do those missions. Along with Exploration and other things. I do think they need to stop focusing so much on ships and start doing more outfits for each of the factions. Especially the minority ones. Give the full set of Tal Shiar Outfits and other outfits some of your bridge officers have in the first ten Romulan Missions. Like the one scientist outfit on Satra or whatever her name is you rescue from the Surbin Station. Maybe even allowing Romulans to use more of their allied factions outfits including the Borg Head piece. They allow the other pieces from seven of Nine to be used but that one. It makes no sense that they can't even wear their allies uniforms when they can command their most advanced ships. Including the Spore Drive Vessel, Which is one of the Federations Most Classified Technological advancements not allowed or even known about by other Federation Vessels and then they allow the Romulans to use it. I'm happy they can, and they have a reason why they have been doing it. I am thinking they are missing the deal and how it all works and why the Kdf and the Federation agreed to such a deal.

Terms and Conditions, my guess all the republic military had to split between the two powers and work for them. Assimilation by Service, but what benefits did the Federation and Klingon Empire get besides that. Then they should explore the recent deal that allowed them to use most every Federation ship and KDF ship. While they are not being allowed to pilot their ships. What technologies did they give up for this service. There is other things I do think they need to explain as well. The True effects of the wars on each of the factions how the citizens of the alliance factions truly feel. I do feel with Discovery and J'Ula they can make the story arc where those who are sick of all sides join her. An alliance of Rebel Federation, Disgruntled Romulan Forces and Empire Forces. Would make it a much better story arc then just a Klingon Civil War. But who knows what they are planning to do. Would also like to see the true damage caused by the Iconians. While you get to go on exploration then more wars, the side effects are not really shown much. They need to tie all this into the storyline and then explore how the Romulans were able to get access to their allies most advanced ships. Maybe they are no longer able to field as many do to everything that has happened. Maybe both powers want the Romulans on the playing field. I am feeling we are missing all of this. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one feeling this way and an explanation for all of it would be nice to have.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I miss many things. Faction pride. Hourlies that went through a rotation. A contraband turn-in that wasn't a 20 hour timer. The Klingon computer voice. A time where there wasn't a Monty Haul to the rewards shoveled to characters(marks and dilithium), where there wasn't a Grand Alliance where everything started getting homogenized, and everyone group hugs at the end of a mission arc. I miss the time where you weren't handed a big participation bundle of marks for STFs, or dilithium from Admiralty. A time where there were failure triggers in STFs, and failure was an opportunity to learn.

I remember a time where there wasn't as much of a powercreep balloon with immunities and clown powers being stuffed into the game, or gear that had all sorts of advantages with nothing to balance it(Leck's Throwing Knives for example, with 100% shield bypass physical, and able to be re-engineered). I know that it sounds like I'm a ornery, salty, old Pepperidge Farms man, but it is what it is to my perspective.

I miss the missions that got yanked out, the time where STEALTH FRAGGIN' MODULE wasn't 50 pounds of monkey excrement in a 10 pound bag. I found it fun to use the old Stealth Module's unlimited duration to pick where and when to take a fight, for objective control, for roleplaying purposes, or to infiltrate areas at a pace of my choosing. I miss the auto-crit from Beam Overload. I miss the day/night cycles for Bajor and Risa. I miss a time where the phrase "You should never feel that your fun is wrong," meant something. I miss having fun in STO. And with the fun having been bled out from dumbing things down, grinds, event spam, and power creep silliness my time in STO lately has been just long enough to do the winter event race, then log out to go play something else, like DDO, or one of the Shadowrun games, or Pathfinder. For the most part, STO doesn't do anything to create a draw for me as much as it used to.
    edited December 2018
    I'm sure many miss the times when Factions got their own content and missions. I understand they can't do that now because of how limited they are. Reason why everything is just Alliance now. But there was once a thriving pvp community and Greed was a large factor in ruining the pvp of the game and ruining it to the point they stopped producing content for some of the factions going mainly with a federation bias for quite a while. They really do need to re balance everything and I mean everything. Maybe a restored Pvp community could maybe help bring back factions and players who will play those factions again. I do think they need to follow more with Genes Vision I really don't think he would even allow Sto to be how it is now if he was still alive or still holder of the ip. To him Star Trek was a Vision where humanity and the fictional races moved past the worst viceful impulses of society to become progressive enlightened society free from the worst of Vices we humans have including greed. Yes they do need to make profits, but they should do it where it isn't just a cash grab and cash grab is not always the focus they would do a lot more to Honor Genes Legacy this way. What would help sto if their was regulations putting restrictions on cash shop and gambling box devices not where they are forced to remove them but limit how many items ships or outfits they can make that require real life money to buy or large grinding time. As without it they are just doing whatever they want to at the expense of the player base and fan base.

The greed factor is so great, they focus more on that instead of the quality of the game. So main focus maybe the next lobi and lockbox and Cstore ship instead of other things fans of startrek might want like outfits, clothes and general startrek nostalgia The Need for Cash Grab compels them to make outfits and nostalgia they do release into the lobistore or lockbox. To get players to open up their lock boxes. I do not blame the Developers for this, its more of a very high corporate decision by those who own the star trek ip and the companies that own Cryptic. Its how they make their millions or billions. While not giving enough for Cryptic to hire more developers. They seem to be a very small company and yet they don't have the resources to do a lot more content if those companies would allow cryptic to expand and hire a lot more people. I am hoping one day things will change big time. Till then they will make alliance missions, continue making ships placing them into zen store or lobi zen or the worst way in a duty officer pack rng gamble. Then focus on missions and other content for the whales then off time work on content for the nonwhales.

At least they do have events where they release free ships and outfits. So that is a plus, I will spend zen if I want to buy something. Does not mean I support all their practices and hope they will move away from this is just a cash cow farm and put effort in making it so much more. I think maybe dil ships could be something they can work into the game once again. Whens the last time they just made ships that you could just buy with dil or energy credits to buy said ship. Some ships they do like new factions they give them maybe one or two I think using the ingame dil currency. But every other ship they make is bought with real life money or a long long grind to get the zen for the ship or a long time of saving up or spending thousands of dollars for a chance of a ship players really want to get their hands on.

If they could hire more Devs then they could basically do a lot redo missions, add in more content for everyone. Expand upon each of the factions storylines add back in updated missions which they have removed. They would have a lot more people to make expansions that could have the as many episodes or more then those released when they released Legacy of Romulus. There is so much they could do hire even the most expensive of voice actors if they had the money to do it. From the shows. Well here is to hope one day they will be able to do all that again. To hope Cryptic will be able to expand and get the resources it needs for the future and to have the man power it use to have and to hope the game will last for many generations including the next generations and the next generations after those generations.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    ELITE borg PvE.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
This discussion has been closed.