test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Torpedoes GCD

Guess it's time for the yearly reminder to the DEVs to remove the shared GCD on torpedoes... It still makes no sense to me =)

Happy holidays!
«1

Comments

  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 6,410 Arc User
    Yep, the GCD limitation on torps and the ban on using multiple omni beams both need to go. Removing them would be a Christmas miracle.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 2,594 Arc User
    There is no technical reason why it cannot be done and rolled out to all torpedo's. But if they cannot be bothered to fix the broken 15 second GCD's on some kinetic weapons I cannot see them getting rid of the 1 second GCD's.
  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 2,961 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    There is no technical reason why it cannot be done and rolled out to all torpedo's. But if they cannot be bothered to fix the broken 15 second GCD's on some kinetic weapons I cannot see them getting rid of the 1 second GCD's.

    There are 'real' reason why you can't remove GCD on torps, and that's they require loading and fueling.
    Yep, the GCD limitation on torps and the ban on using multiple omni beams both need to go. Removing them would be a Christmas miracle.

    And removing the limit on 360 arrays makes no sense, just like the loadout arcs in STO. Simple geometry limits 360 arrays. You can't have more than 1 on the same plane without blocking the other. Cryptic was generous in giving you 3! And yes, that means Turrets should have been arc-restricted, not freely given all 8 slots. I would hope that they'd seen sense and given actual canon and realistic arcs to weapons.
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Considering connie can fire up to 12 or more torps at once with certain skills when it's known it has only 4 tubes (2 tubes per opening), I'd say the number of tubes on the model doesn't matter.


    Why you can fire only 1 shot per slot is a simply matter for game balance and mechanics, having weapon slots be predictble is kind of important.

    Also in universe your torpedo number is limited so 1 shot per weapon slot could be conserving ammo.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 2,594 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    leemwatson wrote: »
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    There is no technical reason why it cannot be done and rolled out to all torpedo's. But if they cannot be bothered to fix the broken 15 second GCD's on some kinetic weapons I cannot see them getting rid of the 1 second GCD's.

    There are 'real' reason why you can't remove GCD on torps, and that's they require loading and fueling.
    In real life loading and fuelling torpedo tube 1 doesn’t stop you from loading and fuelling tube 2, 3, 4. But I was speaking more from a technical point of view. The game does support and can handle 5 torpedoes without GCD. It’s an artificial limitation that could easily be removed.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    I could see dropping the shared gcd for firing torpedoes of a similar type, or just making it that the shared gcd is triggered after firing a certain number of torpedoes in quick secession, though it would make sense to either keep the shared gcd for specifically firing a mixture of different torpedo types (like having a photon and a quantum torpedo slotted an firing them would make sense to have a shared gcd between firing them.). So something like firing two or three torpedoes might trigger the gcd if they are of the same type, while firing something like 1-2 torpedoes of a different type might trigger the gcd

    Though having a tact or other boff ability that removed the shared gcd for a period of time, alongside maybe another buff might be an interest change that would not be actually removing the gcd fully, but making something that would be used by torp builds more.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,180 Arc User
    Global cooldowns exist for game-reasons. On my Luna Torp boat I can use TSII and TSI within eight seconds of each other, spewing enough Quantum Torpedoes to make most things in the game explode. I'm not even close to the best, or better, torp-boat players.

    If they eliminated global cooldowns they would have a great many players who could faceroll the game, requiring the developer to increase the difficulty of the missions, which would make entry-level and lesser skilled players like me obsolete.

    Game mechanics don't need to make sense from an in-universe point of view. They exist for mechanical reasons, and can be explained as anything you like if you need an in-universe explanation.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 8,018 Arc User
    You know what really doesn't "make sense?" That your ship never runs out of torpedoes.
    brian334 wrote: »
    Game mechanics don't need to make sense from an in-universe point of view. They exist for mechanical reasons, and can be explained as anything you like if you need an in-universe explanation.
    ^Exactly this.

    If anyone has a game-mechanical reason why they should remove the GCD (besides "to make me more powerful"), I'd be interested in hearing it.
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 435 Arc User
    since she shared cd for torpedos is 1 second (0.5s with the terran console equipped), i dont think that we have problems on that part. it woudl be only interesting on a ship with 5 front slots + concentrate firepower on the target because it will reload all torpedos every 2 seconds basically. but beside that.. ;)
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 2,814 Arc User
    i dont mind them removing the shared cool down... they just need to make torps finite. you can only have X many torps per ship based on ship size. you need more torps go back to a starbase and refuel, while refueling you go play a ground que. good way to drain ec/dil from economy if you want instant refuel. also make em more like they are in shows/movies. torps should be the all powerful kill weapon of choice. no shields 1-2 torp ship goes bye bye.
  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    For flavor (rather than uberness), I fly a TOS Klingon captain with a D9 and 2 Har'pengh torpedoes. There are 2 torpedo launch tubes physically on the ship model, and the torpedoes launch from those spots on the skin, so it makes no in-universe sense that I should have an 8 second cooldown between launches. And it's not as if Har'penghs are OP and need the mitigation.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 6,711 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    leemwatson wrote: »
    There are 'real' reason why you can't remove GCD on torps, and that's they require loading and fueling.
    That doesn't really explain why ships, many of which visibly have more than one torpedo tube, can only fire one torpedo at a time, a thing which is absolutely not part of the show, where we repeatedly see them firing both barrels.

    Except not together, they would fire moments after the other...never multiple torpedoes at the exact same time.

  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 6,711 Arc User
    For flavor (rather than uberness), I fly a TOS Klingon captain with a D9 and 2 Har'pengh torpedoes. There are 2 torpedo launch tubes physically on the ship model, and the torpedoes launch from those spots on the skin, so it makes no in-universe sense that I should have an 8 second cooldown between launches. And it's not as if Har'penghs are OP and need the mitigation.

    That is because the hargh'peng torpedoes aren't meant to be spammed...they're a special torpedo that isn't meant to really use multiple times...if you replaced one of them with a different torpedo you wouldn't have the 8 second cooldown.

  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    Yep, the GCD limitation on torps and the ban on using multiple omni beams both need to go. Removing them would be a Christmas miracle.

    The only christmas miracle you get is ships for lock boxes or promo boxes. They didn't even bother bringing a new event for the winter wonderland...

    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    That doesn't really explain why ships, many of which visibly have more than one torpedo tube, can only fire one torpedo at a time, a thing which is absolutely not part of the show, where we repeatedly see them firing both barrels.


    The Akira has fifteen torpedo launchers.


    sersi2 wrote: »
    Guess it's time for the yearly reminder to the DEVs to remove the shared GCD on torpedoes... It still makes no sense to me =)


    As someone who mains a Torpedo Boat, I disagree. The Global Cooldown is a balance for not requiring Weapon Power to function.


    That said, I do think that they need a damage buff, just not to the degree that the enemies have them at it. Our torpedoes are fairly underpowered, just the same.

  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 6,711 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Yep, the GCD limitation on torps and the ban on using multiple omni beams both need to go. Removing them would be a Christmas miracle.

    The only christmas miracle you get is ships for lock boxes or promo boxes. They didn't even bother bringing a new event for the winter wonderland...

    It's not like every year new activities are added to the summer and winter events or else where would it stop?

  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,180 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    brian334 wrote: »
    If they eliminated global cooldowns they would have a great many players who could faceroll the game, requiring the developer to increase the difficulty of the missions, which would make entry-level and lesser skilled players like me obsolete.

    Game mechanics don't need to make sense from an in-universe point of view. They exist for mechanical reasons, and can be explained as anything you like if you need an in-universe explanation.
    These mechanical reasons don't make any sense when torpedoes remain grossly underperforming relative to...everything else.

    Torpedoes are not, currently, as outstanding as they once were. There have been a series of nerfs and buffs which have left the torpedo behind. But this is an argument which supports better balancing between weapon types rather than the elimination of a game mechanic.

    My T5 Luna Torp Boat from season 5 is still competitive, even in Elite content. I'm not bringing in the DPS the energy builds can get, but I'm killing as many enemy ships as them, and for me, kills are far more important than damage.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 2,594 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    jslyn wrote: »
    As someone who mains a Torpedo Boat, I disagree. The Global Cooldown is a balance for not requiring Weapon Power to function.


    That said, I do think that they need a damage buff, just not to the degree that the enemies have them at it. Our torpedoes are fairly underpowered, just the same.


    Removing the global cooldown wouldn't unbalance torpedoes. They would still be behind beams and cannons. Without the global cooldown you would still have the reload cooldown along side the torpedo's normal cooldown. The reload cooldown alone is enough, torpedoes do not need 3 cooldown limitations like they have now.

  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 6,711 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    jslyn wrote: »
    As someone who mains a Torpedo Boat, I disagree. The Global Cooldown is a balance for not requiring Weapon Power to function.


    That said, I do think that they need a damage buff, just not to the degree that the enemies have them at it. Our torpedoes are fairly underpowered, just the same.


    Removing the global cooldown wouldn't unbalance torpedoes. They would still be behind beams and cannons. Without the global cooldown you would still have the reload cooldown along side the torpedo's normal cooldown. The reload cooldown alone is enough, torpedoes do not need 3 cooldown limitations like they have now.

    I'd rather see them buff torpedoes in other ways...The Enterprise E had Photon and Quantum torpedoes...same with the Defiant..but they didn't just unload all of them willy nilly at the same time.

    The GCD on them makes sense, the damage and other mechanics on torps don't.

  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,438 Arc User
    To anyone in this thread suggesting torpedoes should have magazine sizes or be finite......May the fleas of a thousand camels infest you armpits.

    For the love of god don't give them any more bad ideas.
    sTN5D7Q.png
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »

    I'd rather see them buff torpedoes in other ways...The Enterprise E had Photon and Quantum torpedoes...same with the Defiant..but they didn't just unload all of them willy nilly at the same time.


    A tricobalt can destroy a small space station in shot. A transphasic could destroy a Borg Cube in one shot (and let's be honest, that is the functionality of the current NPC torpedoes.)
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 6,711 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Except not together, they would fire moments after the other...never multiple torpedoes at the exact same time.
    Untrue, the Defiant and Voyager both had two visible tubes that fired together.

    The Defiant is the only example that actually does...and they're referred to as dual launchers if I recall. Either way the Defiant is a Warship...the only Starfleet ship in the TNG era using cannons as well.

    Point is even ships with numerous launchers like the Sovereign and the Akira don't fire more than one at a time.

  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 6,915 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    lianthelia wrote: »

    Point is even ships with numerous launchers like the Sovereign and the Akira don't fire more than one at a time.

    This seems to be true, any clip I have been able to find of a Star Ship firing Topedoes, they fire one at a time from a single tube.

    The Defiant seems to be the only ship seen firing from multiple tubes at the same time. I never noticed that before.. interesting. :smile:
    wDYkQHL.jpg

    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 6,711 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »

    Point is even ships with numerous launchers like the Sovereign and the Akira don't fire more than one at a time.

    This seems to be true, any clip I have been able to find of a Star Ship firing Topedoes, they fire one at a time from a single tube.

    The Defiant seems to be the only ship seen firing from multiple tubes at the same time. I never noticed that before.. interesting. :smile:

    The Defiant seemed to be unique in a lot of ways when it came to weaponry, but I guess that was because the ship was all about its weaponry and not much else.

  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 8,018 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »

    Point is even ships with numerous launchers like the Sovereign and the Akira don't fire more than one at a time.

    This seems to be true, any clip I have been able to find of a Star Ship firing Topedoes, they fire one at a time from a single tube.

    The Defiant seems to be the only ship seen firing from multiple tubes at the same time. I never noticed that before.. interesting. :smile:

    The Defiant seemed to be unique in a lot of ways when it came to weaponry, but I guess that was because the ship was all about its weaponry and not much else.
    It's a matter of style. The Defiant is depicted as a fast-maneuvering "dogfighter." Firing both sides at once gives for faster animation which fits the dramatic style of the ship. Other ships like Voyager which also has it's torpedo tubes in clearly spaced positions fires in sequence for a longer scene.

    And ships with tubes clustered close together like, say, the Galaxy class, obviously must fire in sequence because if they fired concurrently the torpedoes would blend together into a single blob on screen.
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.