Install Arc

Is Engineer Any Good Anymore?

2»

Comments

• razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    postinggum wrote: »
    That coming lockbox mirror hec would be great for an engineer

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11018513

Didn't know this was coming out. I would love to have one for my new character. But they will most likely be overpriced on the exchange. I only have 8 million ec on my account.

Razar.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    razar2380 wrote: »
    > @peterconnorfirst said:
    > Aux2bat is the best bet on such a ship atm, preferably with the ship trait from last year’s winter event ship: “cold hearted”
    >
    > If you have the means, use phaser as energy type. Good and free sets around as a start and many ways to expand later on.

Wasn't here for 3 years. So I missed out on last year's ship. Wouldn't you know it, that one had a trait I could use. Lol.

Just curious, why do you suggest phasers over disruptors? Do they have more options to boost them from rep systems?

Razar.

Hm, well as things are now rep sided Disruptor offers:

- Terran Taskforce Weapon
    - Counter Command 2 piece (on cannon builds)
    - Romulan rep Weapon (and perhaps console for 2 piece)

On the other hand Phaser offers:

- Terran Taskforce Weapon
    - Counter Command 2 piece (on cannon builds)
    - Gamma Reputation console (and perhaps 2 piece)

It is too bad you don’t have access to older event stuff, also DOMINO console from this year’s anniversary. But even without it I’d go after phasers. Quantum set from story, Trilithium set from story. Only thing that made me reconsider would be if I knew I had the resources for Spiral Wave weapons (from cardi ships) but even then phaser is the saver bet currently as it could well be that you will get the missing stuff some way or the other as time goes by.

Nevertheless, both options are great here so we surely talk about splitting hairs. Go for what you more like, simple as that. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Nothing a sci captain does actually boost a mega well. They have sensor scan which is a debuff, sub nuke which is a buff cleanse, photonic fleet is a pet summon and co opt energy weapon which is an invul if used right. None of that boosts a mega well...or science stuff at all. Oddly enough tacts and engies are better in science ships than science captains.
    True. Sensor Scan does buff your damage output on foes in a Gravity Well, but Attack Pattern Alpha buffs your damage with Gravity Well, too.
    SNB can clear a single enemies Aux2Dampeners so they really stay in the Gravity Well, but the only non-player enemy that uses that power are Kazon. :p

Still, for some reason most of my Science Captains play Science Vessels. Maybe because Science Captains on ground are closer to Science Vessels in space, and I just like magic?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    I have seen the MegaWell mentioned in other threads. If I understand correctly, isn't that an Engineer setup to boost subsystem powers, and a power drain build also? So, you gravity well the enemy(ies), weaken them, then kill them all together. Is that right?

And if so, wouldn't the Science character be better for that? I thought their classes abilities would make them better for that build. I think I am missing something here. I can't seem to find something that explains what I might be missing. Because with how powerful everyone says they are, I would love to do that with my new character I will be rolling very soon.

Also, is that build mainly for playing with other players? Like a build I had on 1 of my Science characters back when I used to play all the time. They would power drain and grav-well the enemies, and the others on my team would mop up. That was fun, but I am looking at making this Engineer where they can handle their own really well in the missions that are out now, and others that might come in the future.

I did play with the skill tree last night on a Tactical character I had at level 60. Got some good DPS with him. Though, it was a cannon build on the Dyson ship from the mission, T5-U, and only had MK 12 DHCs on the front that were light purple color (non-fleet). I am planning on leveling up weapons and gear I get on my new character that I want for end game queues.

But I am using my old characters to experiment with the skill tree on. Most of them have really good weapons and gear from rep system, and such. Few have fleet stuff. But I am trying to learn as much as I can about the Engineer builds out there, so I can play with them on old characters. Tactical is pretty simple to build into.

And thanks so much for all the helpful information. Everything I learn form all of you, I will share with others later.

Razar.

For Gravity Well, Science Captains have Scattering Field (AoE damage resistance and damage buff), Sensor Scan (massive AoE damage resistance debuff which will make your Gravity Well do more damage), and Conservation of Energy (+10% bonus damage to exotic damage that can stack 3 times). Engineers can boost Gravity Well damage through EPS Power Transfer and Intrusive Energy Redirection which will boost aux power. I'd definitely say Science is better for Gravity Well builds, at least on the damage side of things.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    If boosting Aux power just use a battery. That seems the easiest way, and everyone can do it. Sure it has a CD, I guess it depends on how often you plan to do it.
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    Nothing a sci captain does actually boost a mega well. They have sensor scan which is a debuff, sub nuke which is a buff cleanse, photonic fleet is a pet summon and co opt energy weapon which is an invul if used right. None of that boosts a mega well...or science stuff at all. Oddly enough tacts and engies are better in science ships than science captains.

Maybe Tacs..But when I run the same build on my Sci toon vs my Eng toon..My sci toon out DPSs the Eng by about 10k

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

I think I understand both sides of the Eng vs Sci Grav Well builds. The Science class can get higher DPS with the right setup and skill tree build. However, the Engineer (with the right build and skill tree) can create stronger holds, which can be just as beneficial. Therefore, if I am correct, they are both really good for running powerful MegaWell builds. It is just up to the individual, and the ship that they fly, as to which class would be better.

I have already started my new character. They are an Engineer, Human-Federation, under the new Star Trek Discovery story arc.

Everyone's help has been greatly appreciated, and has helped me with having a few options as I go through leveling up my new character. Also, I picked up a Nicor ship from the exchange, that I am saving for this character when I get leveled up. I might even save up the ec to get the upgrade token later, if I like it enough.

I just have 1 more question. (And now I officially feel like Detective Columbo). I am able to create low level weapons of very rare quality on one of my characters that are MK II. I made 2 beam arrays (energy type=Phaser) and a torp. They are all very rare quality (3 mods on each). Should I upgrade them up as I level up? Or is it better to just buy weapons at higher levels?

I ask this question because I know that it doesn't take much to level them up early on. But later, I know that it can take a lot of the resources to up grade them to go just 1 level. Plus, I found out that it can also take a ton of Dil to do so also.

Still not sure why they don't let us use unrefined Dil for upgrades. It seems like it would help to eat up players Dil faster if they don't need to refine it. Projects, and things purchased in the store can still require it to be refined. But new players can upgrade weapons and gear faster without needing to refine it first. But, that's just my opinion.

Thanks again everyone.

Razar.

[P.S. I am looking for a Fleet that would be willing to accept my new character, and possibly 1 or more of my older ones. I am not wanting fleet gear for a very long time on my older characters, and it will be a while before I need anything like that on this new character. But, what I am looking for is a fleet that is casual, and also has no problem with players that like role play. I am not intrusive with my role play, and respect others who don't want to be a part of it (I will not push it on anyone). I use Discord for voice chat. I can't use TeamSpeak, because I use my Android phone, and TS cost money. Discord is free. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.]
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
    edited December 2018
    I just have 1 more question. (And now I officially feel like Detective Columbo). I am able to create low level weapons of very rare quality on one of my characters that are MK II. I made 2 beam arrays (energy type=Phaser) and a torp. They are all very rare quality (3 mods on each). Should I upgrade them up as I level up? Or is it better to just buy weapons at higher levels?

If you want to stay with normal phasers all the way to endgame...
    Crank out a pile of Mk.2 phasers, keep the ones that have [pen] then I would say 'yes' upgrade those. Pen cannot be rerolled so you cannot get it on things that don't already have it. And Pen is the best buff at this time.

But if you don't think you'll stay with normal phasers, or phasers at all, then I'd say no. You can easily play this game till you get to 65 with the stuff that you get from missions or drops. Then at 65 you can decide what favor of weapons you want. Generally the weapon procs are useless due to their 2.5% chance per activation. So mostly, its what type of weapon has the a.) color/vfx you like and b.) what type has the most damage boosting consoles you can get. Right now I think that's phasers. The Quantum Phase set is very nice and free.

Also, upgrading as you level is a inefficient way to upgrade. You should wait till an Upgrade Weekend where you get 2x the points and just do all the upgrading then. There are all sorts of 'tricks' to get the best results w/ least expense. There are plenty of threads here saying how to do that for you to find. It can take a bit to gather all the needed materials and etc. Phoenix Upgrades, Omega Upgrades, 2x Research boosters, etc.

Or just look at the Exchange at 65 for Epic or UR gear and see what's cheapest to get a set of and just use those. This is probably the cheapest way to get a set of weapons if you don't care what type you end up with. :D
    > @dracounguis said:
    > razar2380 wrote: »
    >
    > I just have 1 more question. (And now I officially feel like Detective Columbo). I am able to create low level weapons of very rare quality on one of my characters that are MK II. I made 2 beam arrays (energy type=Phaser) and a torp. They are all very rare quality (3 mods on each). Should I upgrade them up as I level up? Or is it better to just buy weapons at higher levels?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > If you want to stay with normal phasers all the way to endgame...
    > Crank out a pile of Mk.2 phasers, keep the ones that have [pen] then I would say 'yes' upgrade those. Pen cannot be rerolled so you cannot get it on things that don't already have it. And Pen is the best buff at this time.
    >
    > But if you don't think you'll stay with normal phasers, or phasers at all, then I'd say no. You can easily play this game till you get to 65 with the stuff that you get from missions or drops. Then at 65 you can decide what favor of weapons you want. Generally the weapon procs are useless due to their 2.5% chance per activation. So mostly, its what type of weapon has the a.) color/vfx you like and b.) what type has the most damage boosting consoles you can get. Right now I think that's phasers. The Quantum Phase set is very nice and free.
    >
    > Also, upgrading as you level is a inefficient way to upgrade. You should wait till an Upgrade Weekend where you get 2x the points and just do all the upgrading then. There are all sorts of 'tricks' to get the best results w/ least expense. There are plenty of threads here saying how to do that for you to find. It can take a bit to gather all the needed materials and etc. Phoenix Upgrades, Omega Upgrades, 2x Research boosters, etc.
    >
    > Or just look at the Exchange at 65 for Epic or UR gear and see what's cheapest to get a set of and just use those. This is probably the cheapest way to get a set of weapons if you don't care what type you end up with. :D

Thanks. But about the 2.5% proc rate. Did they change something about that? I thought it was always 2.5% chance, but I remember they used to be important.

I remember when my friends and I were on a team using Polarons, and we used to shut down ships with them. Their power levels would get zapped by the procs.

Razar.
    > @dracounguis said:
    > razar2380 wrote: »
    >
    > I just have 1 more question. (And now I officially feel like Detective Columbo). I am able to create low level weapons of very rare quality on one of my characters that are MK II. I made 2 beam arrays (energy type=Phaser) and a torp. They are all very rare quality (3 mods on each). Should I upgrade them up as I level up? Or is it better to just buy weapons at higher levels?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > If you want to stay with normal phasers all the way to endgame...
    > Crank out a pile of Mk.2 phasers, keep the ones that have [pen] then I would say 'yes' upgrade those. Pen cannot be rerolled so you cannot get it on things that don't already have it. And Pen is the best buff at this time.
    >
    > But if you don't think you'll stay with normal phasers, or phasers at all, then I'd say no. You can easily play this game till you get to 65 with the stuff that you get from missions or drops. Then at 65 you can decide what favor of weapons you want. Generally the weapon procs are useless due to their 2.5% chance per activation. So mostly, its what type of weapon has the a.) color/vfx you like and b.) what type has the most damage boosting consoles you can get. Right now I think that's phasers. The Quantum Phase set is very nice and free.
    >
    > Also, upgrading as you level is a inefficient way to upgrade. You should wait till an Upgrade Weekend where you get 2x the points and just do all the upgrading then. There are all sorts of 'tricks' to get the best results w/ least expense. There are plenty of threads here saying how to do that for you to find. It can take a bit to gather all the needed materials and etc. Phoenix Upgrades, Omega Upgrades, 2x Research boosters, etc.
    >
    > Or just look at the Exchange at 65 for Epic or UR gear and see what's cheapest to get a set of and just use those. This is probably the cheapest way to get a set of weapons if you don't care what type you end up with. :D

Thanks. But about the 2.5% proc rate. Did they change something about that? I thought it was always 2.5% chance, but I remember they used to be important.

I remember when my friends and I were on a team using Polarons, and we used to shut down ships with them. Their power levels would get zapped by the procs.

Razar.

They changed it to 2.5% chance per weapon firing cycle instead of 2.5% chance per weapon shot. Procs are much less potent now, sadly.
    Well, that was pointless. Might as well not even have them on the weapons. They fire so few times now, that I haven't seen it happen at all when I started playing my new character. I have been in a good bit of fights. I know that in the past, the proc would have gone off a couple of times at least. Now, they don't even help anymore.

I hope that they are planning on bringing them back up to where they are useful again. If not, then at least make them more powerful, so that when they do hit, they become useful.

Razar.
    Well the good news is that you can basically use whatever color you want easier now. Sometimes you need to look on the brighter side of things.

Actually, with how well all the procs worked, I had builds for Plasma, Disrupter, Phaser, Anti-Proton, and Polaron. Because of the procs being useful back then, I was able to use the different ones based off of whatever STF I wanted to play. I had multiple builds for all of my characters before the upgrade system was introduced.

What stopped me from doing that on new characters at the time was the upgrade system. Mainly because MK 11 and 12 weapons got a nerf before the upgrade system hit, and I didn't have the resources to upgrade all of my different weapons to MK 13 or 14 on each character to get them back to around where they were before. So, I just focused on 1 type.

I have heard that it is a lot easier now to upgrade stuff, than before. I don't know for sure, because I have only upgraded 2 things recently with free boosters I was given. But what I do know is that I did get 1 of the upgrade techs on my new character I rolled the other day. Never got 1 on a character that early before.

But as far as the proc being nerfed, (well, actually fixed), I don't see any reason to go with different weapons now. If they don't proc often enough to matter, there is no reason to have different builds to play with. So the good side is that I can go through my older characters, and clear out all of those different weapons builds and consoles. But I do miss swapping out different builds to fight different enemies. That was fun for me.

Razar.
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    Science fleet captain power also boosts control stat and such, plus combining that with everything mentioned above and maxing out your potential in science skills, there is no contest that science officers are the best for mega-well builds which is exactly what I do as solely science player. I'll admit I'm probably going to be biased here, but I've always felt from what I could glance that engineers could never do better in any field that science or tac couldn't do better. Especially with engi ships themselves, I've never been able to see the point in them, tac ships or science ships just do better jobs at everything as tanking/maxed healing is really not all that useful IMO anymore. Either doing solid damage with your tacs weapons or doing solid damage AND control with your science officer has been all I seen as truly worthy.
    Science fleet captain power also boosts control stat and such, plus combining that with everything mentioned above and maxing out your potential in science skills, there is no contest that science officers are the best for mega-well builds which is exactly what I do as solely science player. I'll admit I'm probably going to be biased here, but I've always felt from what I could glance that engineers could never do better in any field that science or tac couldn't do better. Especially with engi ships themselves, I've never been able to see the point in them, tac ships or science ships just do better jobs at everything as tanking/maxed healing is really not all that useful IMO anymore. Either doing solid damage with your tacs weapons or doing solid damage AND control with your science officer has been all I seen as truly worthy.

Before they nerfed the MK 12 weapons, and back when the proc was hitting more often with BFAW, Engineers were pretty awesome. This was also with the old Elite STFs, when the enemies didn't have inflated Shield and Hull HP. I could take my Romulan Engineer into The Cure Found (Space), and decloak above one of the cubes, and drop it by myself without ever touching the generators below it. I walked away from that with 35-45% Hull left. I couldn't do that with Tac, or Sci.

Right before the upgrade system came out, when they nerfed the MK 11 and 12 weapons, I couldn't do it without another ship backing me up. But even then, if I had Tac or Sci, I got popped. If I had Engineer, and someone else backing me up, I still usually walked away with 10-20% Hull.

I left shortly after the upgrade system came out, because back then it took longer to level from 50-55 than it took just to go from level 1-50. I got bored doing nothing but grinding xp all the time, just to do the next mission.

Things have changed a lot since then. So, I am still learning the changes between the three classes, and other changes in the game. But it seems to me like Engineer is good for someone that doesn't care about being top DPS, but also doesn't want to focus so heavily on control and damage builds. It appears to me like they might be right in the middle of not doing both perfectly, but still offering fun game play by letting you do a little of everything with the right build. And for me, that does sound like fun. I am enjoying my new Engineer. Though, I haven't gotten to the point where I need to push to any specific build, or anything like that. I am still taking out ships by draining their shields, and popping them with HY torps to the hull. lol.

Razar.

That's definitely one of about a million problems Cryptic has created by focusing only on creating content that you just have to DPS your way by. We're at the point where one of the three classes is basically completely overshadowed by the other two because 1) that class is objectively weaker compared to the other two and 2) there is next to no content where you need a tank/healer.

I used to argue that Engineers were easily the best at tanking/healing in space, which they are supposed to be. Sure an Engineer didn't do the most DPS, but they weren't supposed to. I didn't make an Engineer to do DPS, we have Tactical for that. Now that isn't even true. They added that Co-Opt Energy Weapons ability to Science, which ironically is a better Miracle Worker than Miraculous Repairs is. Engineers are supposed to be awesome at tanking/healing, the way Tactical is awesome at buffing damage and Science is at space magic.

What we need is more content where you need a tank/healer and a massive buff to Engineers to make them indisputably better at tanking/healing than the other two classes. Just imagine it this way, Engineers should be as good at buffing their healing and durability as Tactical characters are at buffing their damage output.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    One thing I think people are overlooking with Engies is the fact they can use EPS Power Transfer. They can buff their power levels.

The tanking takes a lot of work because the person who wants to tank needs to be able to draw, and HOLD, aggro over the DPSers. Its a bit expensive to do, but somewhat doable.

OP if you're still looking for a fleet, could ask about mine. Super casual and have a Discord server. Kinda shrank but still around. Got a couple build masters, one guy who loves AP... you don't get tied down for anything really. If you'd like to learn more... drop me a line. I might be able to introduce you to a couple of the guys so you can see if you'd feel comfortable. How I approach things like this is get to know the fleet a bit before making a decision. Never liked the idea of joining blind, because it might be an enviornment that I just don't mesh with, such as hardcore with set events you MUST attend or heavy on the PvP.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    The tanking was fun. I remember when the Scimitars came out, and everyone was complaining about how they popped so quickly. Then I started using my Romulan Engineer in it, and started showing people you could tank in it. I was accused of hacking so many times by other Scimitar users back then. Some of my fleet mates and I would just be laughing when the pugs would rant about my "hacking". lol.

And the Engineer is so good at tanking, that it is pretty fun to me still. But, this game is heavily focused on DPS by the developers, because power creep sells.

@kyle223cat, I would love missions where tanking is key. In fact, missions that would make each class shine independently would be awesome. However, the game is so focused on DPS, that it would require completely rewriting the game mechanics, unless it is just a mission that you can only queue for as an Engineer, in an Engineering focused ship. The reason is, if you start to tank, then the enemy gets popped by high DPS players. If you draw aggro, that also has it's limits, when higher DPS players take that away a lot of times.

The closest you can come is by making a boss that has an unusual amount of health. But, that just makes the game boring. They proved that back when they introduced the first level cap increase. They said they were going to make enemies harder to beat. Many of us thought that meant they were going to be smarter, and therefore more challenging. Instead, all they did was drastically increase their shield and hull HP pool. They weren't harder. They just took longer to beat. It started to get boring for a lot of us when that happened.

The truth is that STO is heavily focused on DPS, because it is a space/ground fighter. In fact, in my opinion, Elite Dangerous is closer to Star Trek in game play than STO. While that game doesn't have missions, and no Star Trek theme, it does have everything the ST universe did. Exploration (of an entire galaxy), shuttling passengers, cargo runs, fighting for those that want it, and so much more. STO is just space wars with a ST theme. It is all about fighting. So, they focus on that only, because it sells. Not that I'm complaining. As far as I know, now one has come up with a true to canon Star Trek game that is not all about fighting. I just think that this one has done a better job of it so far. That's why I think it is still around.

But, it will take increasing the DPS of Engineers to get them to the level of Tac and Sci. I can see that now. But, as others have mentioned, that doesn't mean you can't play that class. They are still a good class to play, and can be fun, as long as you don't care about being top dog in DPS, and are okay with fights lasting a little longer if you are solo.

I am happy with my new Engineer, and I am still very thankful to everyone for their help and suggestions. If I had not come here for help, I would have never rolled a new Engineer, and wouldn't have known that they are still viable.

Razar.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    One thing I think people are overlooking with Engies is the fact they can use EPS Power Transfer. They can buff their power levels.

The tanking takes a lot of work because the person who wants to tank needs to be able to draw, and HOLD, aggro over the DPSers. Its a bit expensive to do, but somewhat doable.

OP if you're still looking for a fleet, could ask about mine. Super casual and have a Discord server. Kinda shrank but still around. Got a couple build masters, one guy who loves AP... you don't get tied down for anything really. If you'd like to learn more... drop me a line. I might be able to introduce you to a couple of the guys so you can see if you'd feel comfortable. How I approach things like this is get to know the fleet a bit before making a decision. Never liked the idea of joining blind, because it might be an enviornment that I just don't mesh with, such as hardcore with set events you MUST attend or heavy on the PvP.

Thanks. I would like to know more about your fleet. I will let you know, I recently put one of my characters in another fleet. I have a total of 14 older characters. About half are Fed/Fed aligned. I am wanting to find a home for a few of them. And I want to put some of them in different fleets. I am not looking for fleet gear, or anything like that. I just like expanding my pool of friends to play with. I know that there are times when either no one from fleets are online, or there are some that are not into teaming up. So, having another fleet to hop into during those times will give me a chance to keep playing with pre-made teams for STFs.

Also, I like role play, and having some of them in different fleets helps make it easier for me to role play with them in the same universe, yet not being around at the same time. Their exploits can be mentioned in the RP, without feeling like they are missing.

I do like the fleet that I have recently joined. They are very friendly, and respectable. If your fleet is the same, I would like to put one of my other characters in yours soon. If you are okay with me having a character in another fleet also.

Razar.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    What I've seen in the last years 8 years of the game is a shift from one thing to another. It changes all the time.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    Not a DPS goddess, and don't care to be one. Just wanna play and not have myself ending up like dead Doomguy's portrait. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Not a DPS goddess, and don't care to be one. Just wanna play and not have myself ending up like dead Doomguy's portrait. :)

Yeah, you need 'enough' dps to do this game. Now if pushing the limits of what you can do is your thing, go for it. But not necessary. Even though there's no real dying penalty, I still dislike dying.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    The question is how you define "do this game". Being capable of completing all content on the highest difficulty level on your own merit? That's going to require a LOT of DPS, in the neighborhood of 200K+, which certainly puts you in the upper echelons of DPS.

Just muddling through all the systems in the game, completing all reps, etc, by getting carried by someone else? Doesn't require *ANY* DPS.

Anything in between is just the same thing as the latter with the added annoyance of going "Look at me! I'm helping!" while pretending to contribute.

In the end, either everything matters, or nothing matters.

Did you just call anyone who does not do 200+K DPS a scrub?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    The question is how you define "do this game". Being capable of completing all content on the highest difficulty level on your own merit? That's going to require a LOT of DPS, in the neighborhood of 200K+, which certainly puts you in the upper echelons of DPS.

Just muddling through all the systems in the game, completing all reps, etc, by getting carried by someone else? Doesn't require *ANY* DPS.

Anything in between is just the same thing as the latter with the added annoyance of going "Look at me! I'm helping!" while pretending to contribute.

In the end, either everything matters, or nothing matters.

His entire post was utter nonsense.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    questerius wrote: »

His entire post was utter nonsense.

Honestly, I don't think that anyone took them seriously. At least I hope not.

Razar.