Fastest Game on Ice

sumnerussumnerus Member Posts: 39 Arc User
Fastest Game on Ice is Impossible to win
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• sumnerussumnerus Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    Cheers!
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    What part are you having a problem with?

I learned how to control the sliding thing with practice. I do not use speed boosts because that makes the race HARDER for me.

I use my mouse only....not the keyboard. Hold down both mouse buttons to move forward, sliding mouse on desk to turn either direction. And practice. The center of the road is slippery compared to where the snow is.

It helps that I had my Fleet Leader show me how to do the turns. Though I do not attempt the jump thing or rolls, any more. Too complicated for me. Are you in a fleet?

If it is the rubberbanding or lagging or the pop up windows in the way throwing you off the course...nothing can be done about this except: restarting. Which isn't a problem because you just go back to the Race Coordinator and you can restart it immediately.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Try looking through the videos and advice here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1245546/rattlers-winter-tips-and-tricks-thread

Also, try this thread....they may have some repeats:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1245377/rooks-annual-winter-wonderland-tips-and-tricks-thread

Also, try this thread.... lots of advice out there on the forum...something may help you "get" this race.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1245031/please-something-different-for-the-winter-event

"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    Thanks All. I think i'm Just a rubbish racer! ;P
    sumnerus wrote: »
    Thanks All. I think i'm Just a rubbish racer! ;P

It takes practice. Some people seem to be able to do it better than others. Don't give up trying.

Frankly, I have no idea how people do this using the keyboard WASD, I am not fast enough to react with all the keystrokes. Hence, use the mouse. LOL!

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Sent to support directly my opinion of specific elements of their game!
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
    tomilak wrote: »
    I agree, having tried the race and what it takes to win, I know I CANT do whats necessary. Too difficult to do that much just to control a turn and not fly off the track and stay ahead of the npc and win. The race is unfair to those who cannot do whats necessary to race and win.

Are you trying with just the mouse? It is much smoother for me.

I can not do this race with keyboard or with speed boosts.

edited December 2018
    Deleted
    Did you try that thing my Armada Leader said???

Tab out of the game right as the program is switch screens to go to starting point of the track....that makes the game go to sleep and request that you "click any key" when you come back to the game window. When you click any key...that should set you up on a course with no opponent.

Sounds much easier than restarting multiple times.

edited December 2018
    Deleted!
  • kf4tvikf4tvi Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    Fastest Game on Ice is Impossible to win

I had a real hard time with both of the ice races and missed out on a few ships too. Then one of my fleet leaders gave me some frosted boots and told me to practice, so I did all year long while doing my fleet dailies. Then when the next season came around I went and practiced the courses over and over (without actually entering them), unless I saw somebody actually racing, then I'd jump off so as not to mess up their race. Anyway, I did that until I got the course layout down pat and then finally got a ship. BTW - I have a hard time actually running the course with those frosted boots on, so usually I don't use them.Who knows, after some more practice maybe I will be able to run it with them on! Good Luck
  • jimduval#7537 jimduval Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    At one point last year i tried that too. no effect. I gave up. If STO decides to modify the race so EVERYONE can do it i will do the race again *not holding my breath* till then, no race no ship no holiday present. I have missed ships for the last 4 yrs now and i will keep missing them for the next x number of years till they consider modifying the race to be less complicated for all. For right now the only thing the race is to me is STRESS. No game should be STRESS!

Sorry but im lmao about this, this has been my first year where im able to take part of the ice race and honestly... Im not even running for the most part. It is way easy honestly, i dont get why so many have such problems winning the darn thing *laughs* I use both mouse buttons and so now and then in combo with the d&a buttons to drift trough the course. Certain corners can be cut giving you an even better advantage. I do agree to getting the Frosted Boots, this to train the movement of drifting trough the course. But do not use em in the actual race as they make an slippery path even more slippery.

edited December 2018
    kf4tvi wrote: »
    I went and practiced the courses over and over (without actually entering them)

Fleet Leader had me do this, too. Run the course, by itself without being in the race...for practice. No opponent and you can just concentrate on the sliding "feel" and slowing down on curves until you "get" it.

Tomilak...are you getting help from your Fleet Leader??? At all?
    I mean, on the ground...inside the game with you? Watching you and giving you hints on what is going sideways while you are running the race course?

What fleet are you in?? I am very surprised no one has helped you with this in years.
    I am thinking that may be the key. I know I did not have to do this all by myself.
    Post edited by where2r1 on

edited December 2018
    Deleted!
  • jimduval#7537 jimduval Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    I figured it was gonna be a waste of my time to post here cause the people who can do the race will never understand that not everyone can handle whats necessary to do the race. Thanks for letting me know i was right. From now on I will just send all complaints directly to support page,

*shrugs* ohw come on now... We are more then willing to help, even explained you my way of doing it. Am also willing to show it to you by doing it while you are with me and right on my tail. my ingame handle is @jimduval#7537 feel free to send a mail so we can head out there and have you make some progress.

• kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    I figured it was gonna be a waste of my time to post here cause the people who can do the race will never understand that not everyone can handle whats necessary to do the race. Thanks for letting me know i was right. From now on I will just send all complaints directly to support page,

Not true. Like you I simply couldn't do the race for the life of me my first year and resigned myself that there would be no winter ship. I read all the tips then went and practiced over and over till I found what worked for me. Can I do it perfect first try every time? Nope, but I know I can do it so it's not so hopeless now. But it's not a bug.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    sprint (shift). then roll when needed to stop (type ww quickly). repeat.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Thanks all, i managed to win the race first time with the tips :) Ironically, i don't even want the ship! i just wanted to beat the damn course at least once!
  • kf4tvikf4tvi Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    Thanks all, i managed to win the race first time with the tips :) Ironically, i don't even want the ship! i just wanted to beat the damn course at least once!

I can relate to that. Congratulations!
  • malaproposmalapropos Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Running along the edges of the track so that you're on the snow instead of the ice gives you better traction, if you want to do the turning without jumps. Try to minimise your time on the ice itself. Just don't go too far off the edge though, or you face the risk of getting disqualified.
    @tomilak Customer Service will probably just tell you to come here....because I don't think they really field concerns about playing the game.

Anyhoo...please advise us: What is going on with you?

A lot of this race is : spending time on that track and figuring out the quirks of the ice and sliding.
    Some of us had to spend more time to practice than others.

It really helps to get help from your fleet or friends in the game...while you are playing. Not just reading it with words.

• sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    At one point last year i tried that too. no effect. I gave up. If STO decides to modify the race so EVERYONE can do it i will do the race again *not holding my breath* till then, no race no ship no holiday present. I have missed ships for the last 4 yrs now and i will keep missing them for the next x number of years till they consider modifying the race to be less complicated for all. For right now the only thing the race is to me is STRESS. No game should be STRESS!

Sorry but im lmao about this, this has been my first year where im able to take part of the ice race and honestly... Im not even running for the most part. It is way easy honestly, i dont get why so many have such problems winning the darn thing *laughs* I use both mouse buttons and so now and then in combo with the d&a buttons to drift trough the course. Certain corners can be cut giving you an even better advantage. I do agree to getting the Frosted Boots, this to train the movement of drifting trough the course. But do not use em in the actual race as they make an slippery path even more slippery.

I almost never use the Frosted Boots for just that reason; same for any other speed boosts. I am not one of those who can run full speed the whole race. The first Winter Event in 2012 I sucked. It took me tonnes of trial and error to find something that worked for me. I failed a lot, before I could learn how I could succeed. Also, 'trying' while angry/furious, never worked. You need calm to think clearly and make the best decisions possible. That bit is true for pretty much everything and this race is no exception.
    I do not use the mouse or the WASD keys. I use the arrow keys near the numeric keypad.
    I will use SHIFT to run the first short stretch from the Starting Line, just to get a good start, then start my turn as I approach the 1st real turn; this slows me down a bit but gives me better control. It also has me facing the direction I want to go in when my momentum shifts, so I am 'drifting' for most of my turns.
    I will also brake as needed; better to maintain control than to slide out. To stop I will either take my finger off the UP/fwd arrow key (soft stop) or double-tap it to tumble (hard stop). The parts of the course with a lot of turns, I usually just walk, or alternate walking w/short bursts of speed.
    I also use a lot of micro-turns, to course-correct my path and to bleed off speed, so I am not at all-out full running speed. This helps me to maintain control, and make the turns. If I started a turn too late I will do a tumble to brake so I don't slide out, then move as soon I am facing the direction I want.

This is not a 100% guaranty of winning every time, but it is very reliable, as I rarely 'lose' and have to restart the race.
    With patience & practice, you can find what works for you.

Good luck and God bless!
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    This is not a bug. Moved.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • scarletscar#2273 scarletscar Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    ths isn't impossible and is very very very very easy, and don't need any enhancements just run "not walk" and keybind a button to roll. instead of hitting the arrow button twice to roll, makes controlling your rolls much more easy to control. haven't failed this since starting in 2015 and being new to the game. and still haven't had any issues. just people aren't good :\ sorry i come from other competitive games such as a top 20 US guild in WoW and played Cstrike since v1.3 but reguardless this is a nonsense thread :P
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    There is a video I made that will show how to do it easily.

Go to 3:25 in the video to jump to the race itself.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmivrFO8308

Hope this helps.
    Razar
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
    I did the only thing feasible in the last month GO WITHOUT THE SHIP!
    I expect i will likely go without the winter ship for quite some time!
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    I like this event as some old bugs have returned. The race is now far more interesting now the snnowmen can attack you when you're trying to run around the course! Had it twice now in 2 days.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    dirlettia wrote: »
    I like this event as some old bugs have returned. The race is now far more interesting now the snnowmen can attack you when you're trying to run around the course! Had it twice now in 2 days.

I've had that happen every year. Well provided I wasn't watching the timers, and started the run during the snowball fight.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
This discussion has been closed.