test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Account bound but single instance items

westmetals wrote: »
Well, I'm not a mod, so I will leave it here... except to say that your proposal (above) states as if fact, some of the exact points that people were objecting to in the other thread. Such as referring to your event ships idea with "Players do not want "a step backwards" - even if it's to a place that is objectively reasonable"... when the exact objection was that it's not 'objectively reasonable'..

People are allowed, and expected, to object to objectively reasonable things.
The Endowment Effect gives the status-quo value, and Loss Aversion is a psychological bias that makes people more averse to perceived losses than to perceived gains.

Here, the trade is simple. We, the player, give up account-wide unlocks on some items, and in exchange we get account-bound but single instance use on *all* items.

This is objectively better for Cryptic as they don't lose any revenue as players in bulk, still need to buy the same number of things.
This is objectively better for players as we now have the freedom to use all our ships and items and services on all characters on the account. We get a larger, unified bank, and an easier grind for Event ships. Except when we want to have multiple instances of the Event ship equipped and ready on multiple characters in which case we have to buy the additional ships. Which is objectively reasonable.

Now, I have a LTS so I'd rather like STO to be vibrant and growing. And that means attracting new casual players. Which means we, the existing players, might have to make a small sacrifice to allow Cryptic to move to an objectively better way of dealing with the Account-is-the-Player.
We have a simple choice - hold onto our "free" account wide event ships and watch STO fade into slow obscurity - or give up on ultimately a very small thing allowing Cryptic to implement a simple, comprehensible, Account is the Player system that does not damage their revenue model.

In exchange we get a very large bank shared across all characters, the ability to fly all ships on all characters, and no more angst over the eternal question: am I buying this pack on the right character or will I change my mind tomorrow?

We are never going to get account wide unlocks of lobi ships - the immediate revenue loss to Cryptic is too immediate and loss aversion makes that option very unpalatable.

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Why did you start a new thread to add to an existing discussion? Your post makes little sense out of its proper context.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    duplicate thread /thread
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.