test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Upgraded to rx 580, got constant graphics freezes

I recently replaced my 6-year-old GTX 660 with a shiny new RX 580 thanks to Black Friday.

While it works beautifully in every single other game and hardware-accelerated program I got, it chokes big on STO and Neverwinter. I've tried several different firmware versions for the card to no avail. The games' visuals (but not the gameplay, according to my friends) freezes at random, sometimes taking Windows 10 down with it. Other times, the screen just goes black.

This can happen as soon as the login screen, or it can tease me with as much as an hour's gameplay (more frequently it's just a few minutes).

I have been able to get the issue under control in Neverwinter with the following steps as suggested elsewhere:
1. Turn off shadows
2. Turn off on-demand patching
3. Access the loader directly; do not use Steam or Arc.

(It oddly still freezes when somebody sends me a party invite, though).

However, replicating these steps for STO has not been any help. In fact, it seems like it's LESS stable now.

Has anybody had similar issues with AMD cards? How were you able to get things settled down?

Comments

• drysyndrysyn Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    What are your other pc specs as i run a ROG Strix RX 580 myself with no problems what so ever
  • magnamaelduinmagnamaelduin Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    I'm running an Intel Core i5-3570K with G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 on a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH.

Changing the graphics card is the third update to this rig I've made since building it in 2013 (previous changes were swapping out HDDs for SSDs and getting the free upgrade from Windows 8 to 10 when it came out).
  • sucklollipopssucklollipops Member Posts: 1 New User
    I would try a full reinstall of drivers with DDU first, then a complete system reset (wipe)