test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is it just me or is this guy grinning ear-to-ear fighting Klingons?

mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
grin.png

Comments

• habooba5habooba5 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    I noticed this a ways back and thought it was just me.
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    He's grinning and laughing because of how silly Discovery Klingon's look, duh.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    He's grinning and laughing because of how silly Discovery Klingon's look, duh.

It is, "Klingons". Not, "Klingon's"

No apostrophe is needed because the Klingons in the illustration are not in possession of anything.

Honestly if you're going to be a gatekeeper fan, at least take the time to get the written English correct.
    Makes your trolling look weak whenever you use the language poorly.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • dariusturaldariustural Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    Heh, I call them klingorcs. My personal preference. There has been changes from TOS forward that are laughable to someone at some point. Personally, I disliked their costume, by thought it nice they spoke in klingon with subtitles.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Heh, I call them klingorcs. My personal preference. There has been changes from TOS forward that are laughable to someone at some point. Personally, I disliked their costume, by thought it nice they spoke in klingon with subtitles.

Heard them called Klingnots.
    It is, "Klingons". Not, "Klingon's"

No apostrophe is needed because the Klingons in the illustration are not in possession of anything.

Honestly if you're going to be a gatekeeper fan, at least take the time to get the written English correct.
    Makes your trolling look weak whenever you use the language poorly.

Well, sorry. English is not my first language, it's my second so it's not always perfect.

edited November 2018
    Well, sorry. English is not my first language, it's my second so it's not always perfect.

Hochedeutsche is not my first language, either. In the seven years I spent in the Bundesrepublik as a soldier, I made a serious effort to at least get the written part correct. If my Deplorable Southern Redneck trailer park trash butt can do so, it is reasonable to assume others can as well. Because every last one of you are waaay smarter than I am. You tell me so every time I ask

Laziness is a poor excuse and an even poorer cover for being a gatekeeper fan.

There are things about all of the Star Trek series which I don't like. For example, the blatant TRIBBLE-pandering costumes which Jeri Ryan and Jolene Blaylock wore. But there are plenty of people who enjoy Voyager and Enterprise. Out of respect for them as fellow Star Trek fans, I usually keep my opinion of their favorite shows to myself. They don't need to hear the constant whining and complaining and bellyaching from me to remind them I am alive and might actually matter sometimes.

Something else for the gatekeepers and haters to think about: Initially, I wasn't going to bother with Discovery. Just did not spark any interest from me. Other than, "Star Trek is back on TV. Good." The anguished, tortured howls of outrage and indignation emanating from basements and hipster coffee shops around the world are what made me look at it. I'm glad I did, too. It is an interesting take on what I have been a lifelong fan of. 1968 was the first time I watched a Star Trek episode. That six year old boy was instantly hooked.

So I guess I owe the gatekeepers and haters a hearty thank you. I've not been this excited about a new Star Trek season in years. I purchased All Access and binge watched the first season. Some of the characters and situations presented are very well done. I look forward to Season Two. I also hope what has made it to STO is just the first of many more things to come. The Battle at the Binary Stars isn't first rate material but I'm sure Cryptic can do better when they try harder.
    Hochedeutsche is not my first language, either. In the seven years I spent in the Bundesrepublik as a soldier, I made a serious effort to at least get the written part correct. if my Deplorable Southerner Redneck butt can do so, it is reasonable to assume others can as well. Because every last one of you are waaay smarter than I am. You tell me so every time I ask

Laziness is a poor excuse and an even poorer cover for being a gatekeeper fan.

There are things about all of the Star Trek series which I don't like. For example, the blatant TRIBBLE-pandering costumes which Jeri Ryan and Jolene Blaylock wore. But there are plenty of people who enjoy Voyager and Enterprise. Out of respect for them as fellow Star Trek fans, I usually keep my opinion of their favorite shows to myself. They don't need to hear the constant whining and complaining and bellyaching from me to remind them I am alive and might actually matter sometimes.

Something else for the gatekeepers and haters to think about: Initially, I wasn't going to bother with Discovery. Just did not spark any interest from me. Other than, "Star Trek is back on TV. Good." The angiushed, tortured howls of outrage and indignation emanating from basements and hipster coffee shops around the world are what made me look at it. I'm glad I did, too. It is an interesting take on what I have been a lifelong fan of.

So I guess I owe the gatekeepers and haters a hearty thank you. I've not been this excited about a new Star Trek season in years. I purchased All Access and binge watched the first season. Some of the characters and situations presented are very well done. I look forward to Season Two. I also hope what has made it to STO is just the first of many more things to come. The Battle at the Binary Stars isn't first rate material but I'm sure Cryptic can do better when they try harder.

I have no idea what you're talking about, I did not ask about your time as a soldier? I'm not sure why everyone who is or was a soldier always have the need to randomly bring it up? Like people who randomly outright say "I'm a vegan"... What, I didn't really ask?

Just because someone is a fan doesn't mean they should blindly follow what or who they admire. Uhh, anyway. Please keep it on topic before the thread is locked, thanks.

It is on topic. I was rebutting your comment about English not being your first language.

Must have struck a nerve, too. Entschuldigen Sie, bitte.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

Despite them not resembling Orcs in the slightest. How edgy.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @thunderfoot006 said:
    > Hochedeutsche is not my first language, either. In the seven years I spent in the Bundesrepublik as a soldier, I made a serious effort to at least get the written part correct.

It's "Hochdeutsch" but it's usually just called "Deutsch". The "Hoch-" is superflous as nobody even in dialect is speaking "Mittel-" or "Niederdeutsch" any more. It's like stating your native language is "modern English". While it os sometimes used to express the abscence of a particular dialect, it's just Deutsch for German.

Proceed.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @dracounguis said:
    > dariustural wrote: »
    >
    > Heh, I call them klingorcs. My personal preference. There has been changes from TOS forward that are laughable to someone at some point. Personally, I disliked their costume, by thought it nice they spoke in klingon with subtitles.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Heard them called Klingnots.

You mean Klingots? Like mentioned in the pilot of Enterprise?
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Unless they look like humans with shoe polish on their faces they’re all Klingorcs
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    It is on topic. I was rebutting your comment about English not being your first language.

Must have struck a nerve, too. Entschuldigen Sie, bitte.

Aga kas sa sellest saad aru? Ei saa jah, värdjast tibla? Mis sa nüüd teed, lippad oma edukaimale tõlkesaidile uurima, mis pagana totrusega tegu olla võiks? Too oleks põnev. Õpi kõik neliteist käänet ära ja tule mölise siis. Kui ma modereeriks seda foorumit, ma annaks sulle eluagse postituskeelu, voh!

Point being - gatekeeping based on someone's language abilities is idiotic. Sure, if they talked complete gibberish with no discernible meaning, absolutely, I'd complain too, but in this case the mistake was as minor as just adding an apostrophe, which could've very well happened by accident. The meaning remained clear, didn't it?

And you apparently took offense in something so trivial - someone saying DSC Klingon's look ridiculous... This is not even being a gatekeeper fan, this is saying they don't like 1 detail of [whatever]. For example, I really don't like Galaxy-class visuals that much, does mentioning that mean I completely hate TNG and every facet of it and thus I should be trolled to death by you? Give me a break.
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I just imagine him on the communicator doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBLdQ1a4-JI

Makes me smile every time.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

Despite them not resembling Orcs in the slightest. How edgy.​​
    I've seen klingons compared to orcs long before Discovery gave them the ugly bug-heads, just by their behavior and their arc of character development.