test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Today's Endeavor Nov 16 2018

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    I just checked, 2am UTC, it is down and so is access to the editor. I wonder if we will see it this weekend?

With the new bug (only apparent once the Foundry went live) I think they'll need some time early next week to sort things out. I'd say "maybe a Foundry relaunch later in the week" but with Thanksgiving here in the US I'm hunkering down for another go during the week of the 26th (if there's a quick fix. We've seen the symptoms of the "can't start mission" bug at least once before, so fingers crossed, but you never know.)

griffin81 wrote: »
    (Flaming/Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Generally threads like this don't receive individualized attention, the primary purpose of a forum is for information to be communicated to the devs (going upstream, not down) and for community members to discuss the game with each other. Information flow from devs to players on a forum is generally reserved for exceptional issues or troubleshooting. It's not every day that you see those kinds of posts (here or in most communities. If it comes its through the personal initiative of select devs, not a common social expectation.)

Where you look for direct communication are mediums like social media and livestreams (which are built for it, forums and reddit are better for persistent moderated discussions), and I'll note that the response time over the twitter to the issue that actually required dev attention (Foundry relaunch was something they've been working) was ~1 hour, easily within the span of "Kael was in a meeting or working on something else." Factors that helped assure information got to the right people: collaborating with other community members (ex. me), respecting the devs time and attention (ie. that they can have other priorities ATM), and staying level.
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • griffin81griffin81 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    (Flaming/Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    The last Endeavor was not as it was in the past now that the Tholian Red Alert comes very infrequently.

Azure nebula rescue, takes a wee bit longer but can get the 20 ships easily even if it bugs out.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    "All of this has happened before and will happen again."
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    Well, I guess it's back to W**** of W******* for me till the Foundry is up and running for good.

Still, thanks for your time, Devs.
  • galman1galman1 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Well I can say from the PST zone, it was down as of 4am (-8 gmt). I thought not another oh do this but opps you can't, sorry chaps will have to correct it in the future (sorry not british just felt like using the term). Please put discovery on ice till you can match calendars, upgrading, downgrading, adding content so it takes into account all the various things that could end up looking like you are pushing a USB into a Network slot and can't understand why you mobo or usb or other part just failed.
  • excalibanexcaliban Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Complete a Foundry Mission Endevour, when there are no Foundry mission available?
    excaliban wrote: »
    Complete a Foundry Mission Endevour, when there are no Foundry mission available?

It's not the first time this happens. All we can do is be patient and hopefully the devs will take the time to change the Endeavour to something actually feasible in the meantime.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    with no foundry...
    Brilliant.
    Spock.jpg

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    edited November 2018
    Wow. I have merged literally 4 separate threads on this. :unamused:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You think four is bad, over in Lord of the Rings Online, there are a couple of dozen Threads about the new Legendary Servers and they don't seem to merge Threads at all. Nightmare to keep track of.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Good, that means more and more folks are starting to really care about the foundry and are beginning to seriously miss it. Perhaps if you can pass that news back to the devs that everyone is screaming about it on the forum they may get of their bottoms and sort it out rather than putting it at the bottom of their priority list.
    Really? Insulting the devs like this won't make things get fixed faster. The devs know and have been working on it. Kael even talked about that on the livestream Wed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    They've actually been working very hard to get the Foundry back up. It was even up for a short time on Friday before another glitch was discovered that resulted in them having to take it back down. All of the snark, sarcasm, and insults are unnecessary.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    (Comments moderated out. Well, I don't think we'll be doing that. - BMR)
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    @mattjohnsonva Don't get discouraged. THEY decided to let Kael to DO SOMETHING with it.

Granted, he may not be the "Ideal Guy" and there may even be a huge learning curve....but they actually have someone working on it. Whether it is billable...is another thing... but hell, stuff is going on. It is not just sitting there, abandoned.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • dongemaharudongemaharu Member Posts: 544 Arc User
    Is it that difficult to put an in-game notice to let people know what’s going on?
    where2r1 wrote: »
    @mattjohnsonva Don't get discouraged. THEY decided to let Kael to DO SOMETHING with it.

Granted, he may not be the "Ideal Guy" and there may even be a huge learning curve....but they actually have someone working on it. Whether it is billable...is another thing... but hell, stuff is going on. It is not just sitting there, abandoned.

Thanks, but it's hard not to get discouraged. I think the most depressing thing here is their lack of vision, they are sitting on a gold mine of content, there are community authors out there who, given the right tools, could keep content new and refreshing in this game forever. Hell people still buy and play Skyrim because of the unlimited amount of new stories available on the nexus, community authored adventures can be as good and even better than the official stories, it can keep people logging in to try something new every day. It keeps many people entertained both through playing and writing the missions, people who are constantly engaged with the game are people who are more likely to spend money with the game and keep it viable and profitable.

And what do Cryptic do? They continually underestimate the value of the foundry to their product, they do not invest in it at all, they totally fail to recognise it's importance time and time again, despite being told this over and over again. There are so many people now I know who have literally not logged in for weeks due entirely to the foundry being down. If they are not playing they are not spending and they are not enriching the game as a whole.

I'm precisely in that case. I have left STO untouched for circa one month now because of the extended Foundry downtime.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    ashstorm1 wrote: »

I'm precisely in that case. I have left STO untouched for circa one month now because of the extended Foundry downtime.

Truth be told, I left STO one month after it launched. Only came back because of the Foundry. Bought a Lifetime Subscription because of it. In addition, I've been spending money on the game for years afterward. Sadly, there are no metrics which show this, so PWE simply thinks the Foundry is a waste of time - there is no money generated by it. How wrong they are.

I, quite frankly, am getting to the breaking point. If they don't want my money - or all the free work I have done (I have already had to withdraw my missions due to all the unfixed Foundry problems breaking them) - then they can continue to let the Foundry dissolve into a pool of goo from lack of attention - there are plenty of other MMOs out there I can spend my time and additional money on.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User

Thanks, but it's hard not to get discouraged. I think the most depressing thing here is their lack of vision, they are sitting on a gold mine of content, there are community authors out there who, given the right tools, could keep content new and refreshing in this game forever. Hell people still buy and play Skyrim because of the unlimited amount of new stories available on the nexus, community authored adventures can be as good and even better than the official stories, it can keep people logging in to try something new every day. It keeps many people entertained both through playing and writing the missions, people who are constantly engaged with the game are people who are more likely to spend money with the game and keep it viable and profitable.

And what do Cryptic do? They continually underestimate the value of the foundry to their product, they do not invest in it at all, they totally fail to recognise it's importance time and time again, despite being told this over and over again. There are so many people now I know who have literally not logged in for weeks due entirely to the foundry being down. If they are not playing they are not spending and they are not enriching the game as a whole. Cryptic just cannot see this, the foundry is in one giant blind spot as far as they are concerned, it's so frustrating, the entire game could be so much more if the foundry was properly supported and if they were to spend time and effort squashing the bugs in it and in the main game rather than chasing the next lock box or tie-in with DSC.

I feel I'm wasting my breath. It will be back up, perhaps they will even add a few bits to it, but it will be down again at the next season launch as they seem incapable of launching a new season without breaking the game in so many ways. I'm not in this business but I do run my own and if I ran it the way this business is run I'd have gone under years ago. I can only hope that the new EP has more imagination and vision than the previous incumbent and truly and can see the possibilities staring him right in the face.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

But it isn't Cryptic that is the problem. It's PWE.

There are plenty of Cryptic devs who are fans of the Foundry. It's PWE that REFUSES to allocate even a single hour of dev time to maintain, let alone improve, the Foundry.
    Good, that means more and more folks are starting to really care about the foundry and are beginning to seriously miss it. Perhaps if you can pass that news back to the devs that everyone is screaming about it on the forum they may get of their bottoms and sort it out rather than putting it at the bottom of their priority list.
    Really? Insulting the devs like this won't make things get fixed faster. The devs know and have been working on it. Kael even talked about that on the livestream Wed.
    No insult intended, I am simply stating that it is at the bottom of their priority list. It is the first thing to get taken down and the last thing to be put back or fixed at every update. If they truly believed it was costing them money then it would be prioritised higher than it is. It took the embarrassment of the endeavor to really get folks talking about this.
    WRONG!

Kael talked last Wednesday about how they were working on a fix for over a week before they thought they'd found the problem. Friday had partial Foundry functionality restored. They thought they'd fixed it and that's WHY they set the Endeavor to be Foundry. But... didn't actually work and that's why it's down again.

So no, the Devs working to fix the Foundry is WHY the Endeavor was set to Foundry, not the other way around.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    WRONG!

Kael talked last Wednesday about how they were working on a fix for over a week before they thought they'd found the problem. Friday had partial Foundry functionality restored. They thought they'd fixed it and that's WHY they set the Endeavor to be Foundry. But... didn't actually work and that's why it's down again.

If you say they said that, I believe you.. but I call BS on their reason. Had foundry functionality been restored, it would not go in until the weekly maintenance so scheduling a foundry endeavor before that maintenance makes no sense.

I am more inclined to believe that they simply forgot to remove the foundry endeavor from the available pool before the task rotated to a new objective. I am not saying that they aren't working on a foundry fix, they probably are, but I don't believe for a second that the endeavor was intentionally scheduled.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    WRONG!

If you say they said that, I believe you.. but I call BS on their reason. Had foundry functionality been restored, it would not go in until the weekly maintenance so scheduling a foundry endeavor before that maintenance makes no sense.

I am more inclined to believe that they simply forgot to remove the foundry endeavor from the available pool before the task rotated to a new objective. I am not saying that they aren't working on a foundry fix, they probably are, but I don't believe for a second that the endeavor was intentionally scheduled.
    Actually Foundry stuff can be activated/deactivated on the backend with no patch. The assets in the Foundry library need a patch to be changed, but the availability of the Foundry itself is a server setting that doesn't need a patch.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    There really needs to be a flag available that can keep this endeavor from popping up whenever the Foundry is borked. It's never happen, but it's needed.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    All of the snark, sarcasm, and insults are unnecessary.

That's OK, we like unnecessary things. o:)
This discussion has been closed.