test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

ATTN: Starfleet Personnel Command. Re: FLAG officer Uniform questions

geezerpunkgeezerpunk Member Posts: 146 Arc User
TO: Adm. of Starfleet Personnel Command

FM: Adm. Jelavi Cha, Flag officer afloat.

RE: Flag Officer Uniform questions not covered by supplemental material (https://sto.gamepedia.com/File:Odyssey_Flag_Officer.png)
  • RE: Flag Officer Afloat
    The visual and written description of the Odyssey Flag Officer Variant does not include any variants for Flag officers permanently assigned to active duty as a ranking officer aboard a ship. Said officer would be of Flag officer rank, but still considered as the captain of their vessel, just as a junior officer such as a commander may be assigned as the ranking officer of a ship and still referred to as captain. Said commander would be required by regulation to dress according to the rules regarding the "Commanding Officer Uniform" (i.e. white shoulders).

Would the Flag level officer be so ordered to wear the standard Flag officer uniform for their rank, but with the white shoulders requirement of the "Commanding Officer Uniform", or would the Flag officer uniform simply suffice in this instance. (Note: we are not talking about temporary assignments or command taken in battle, but assigned Flag Officers afloat.

• RE: Division Colors
    It is totally understood that officers in the Science and Operations branches need to transfer to the Tactical Branch as they are for all purposes admirals for the fleet and not the sciences, or ship operations (exceptions for Chief of Starfleet Medical. Chief of Staff - Starfleet Operations, etc. not withstanding). However; there are other divisions that are not so clear cut, Starfleet Intelligence, Judge Advocate General, and other limited branches require tactical operation knowledge within their general scope and should be free to show their division colors without the requirement to "Full Red Tactical".

If you have any further documentation on the above requirements, please feel free to offer them. Otherwise, please bring them to the full committee of Starfleet Uniform Standards for a recommendation and vote.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    So... is this an immersion thing or... what?

BTW... verry well done in character writting. Not really necessary on the forums but... still well done.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • geezerpunkgeezerpunk Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    I have now what I consider 3 mains and 16 alts, and when they reach flag officer status, they all tend to dress alike. As a RPG player, I was just looking to see how people play different aspects of their Flag rank toons.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Ah.

I typically keep them in their departmental colors rather than switch to Command Red. Also I typically stop updating the rank insignia when I hit Captain. Combination of too many people running around as Fleet Admirals and "Less paperwork". In game rank asside, if I dabble in RP, I'm usually just a Captain.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,309 Community Moderator
    In-game, Starfleet Intelligence wears black as a division color. (see: Commander Burgess, Lt VanZyl)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    I have my own interpretation of the Starfleet Uniform Code. It doesn't stray very far from the published version, but I've filled in some details.

I don't think it's set in stone that all flag officers or commanding officers wear red. I know there was at least one admiral on DS9 that wore yellow, and in the TOS era, commodores (the highest rank we saw) wore division colors. My characters all wear appropriate division colors.

In my code, flag officers' uniforms have black shoulders. This also applies to their dress and excursion uniforms. So the dress uniforms on page 4 of the Code would be for Captains. Dress uniforms for bridge officers would have gray shoulders, like their duty uniforms.

I will also point out that our "star" captains, like Paris, Kim, and Nog wear the long jacket. I use it for Command officers (those with Command spec). All of my first officers have received Command training.
  • conradhauserconradhauser Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited November 2018
    geezerpunk wrote: »
    I have now what I consider 3 mains and 16 alts, and when they reach flag officer status, they all tend to dress alike. As a RPG player, I was just looking to see how people play different aspects of their Flag rank toons.

It depends on my character.
    One fleet admiral is dressed similar to Admiral Quinn minus the gaudy Federation belt. Instead I gave him the general Odyssey belt & the fleet Odyssey dress jacket. Plus since he is a science officer he has the blue instead of red.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I believe a flag officer afloat would have the option of either wearing the Commanding Officer uniform with white shoulders or flag officer uniform without the white shoulders.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
This discussion has been closed.