test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to figure Ground/Space Weapon and also Ship Damage Stats? Anyone Know?

This may have been answered somewhere but I sure I can't find a recent post, website, formula or calcuators (as in 2018 or at least updated to 2018 patches) that is consistent and makes any sort of sense. Also nothing appears to come from Arc. So if there is a actual answer that doesn't take ridiculous amounts of math to figure out that what my ships base damage is and which is number is more important (damage or DPS) in the stats listed, I would love to know. An actual example I found to figure this stuff out : DPV = Base[1 + 0.082 + (mk – 1)(0.102) + #Dmg(0.075) + #Mod(0.025)] FOR REAL? Math is great but I would have to do this every time I want to compare weapons? Not to disrespect the hard put into this formula but no thank you.

Things that would great to know that are just not clearly answered anywhere I can find:
1. How do you figure your ship (or any ships) base damage stats if that even exists in STO?
2. Is there a ground damage type that is better or does more damage than the rest (anti-proton, polaron, plasma, disruptor, phaser) or is it just play style preference?
3. Is there ever a time a melee weapon is better than a energy weapon?
4. Is there a space weapon type that is better or does more damage than the rest (cannon, beam, torpedo, mines etc) or is just play style preference?
5. Is there a space damage type that is better or does more damage than the rest (anti-proton, polaron, phaser, tetyron, proton, transphasic, etc.) or is it just play style preference?
6. Do any weapons do better against specific species (example anti-proton vs Borg) or does it have to specify that in the stats(example anti-borg antiproton weapon)?
7. WHAT exactly is meant by the x2 or x3 on some weapons? (No post answers this consistently!! Some say it multiplies the DPS some say it's just a certain bit of extra damage)
Bonus 8. Why is that any new ship or weapon with new effects is never explained from Arc? Or if they are it's just the big shiny one? Come on Arc, if you're gonna release a bunch of new items in a lockbox, why list on 13 on your official page and I have to go to gamepedia to find out what the rest are and what they even do? (By the way gamepedia list 29 for swarm vs arc's "many other prizes")

And that doesn't cover what I don't know to ask of course. This would be things that I usually CAN find when playing other similar type games. Sorry yall just a bit frustrated. Drowning in game "stats" that aren't telling me more than "that number is bigger that this one" as well as gamepedia/academy definitions but nothing to tell what's actually good for what. If it is all just basically managed by that DPS number and that's it, well fine. I can pick a gun I like the looks of as well as the next guy but for crying out somebody at Arc out to say a sentence to that effect just to make the game mechanics of weapon customization not quite so full of "??" I am used to figuring this stuff out as well as weapon mods and even specific ammo so it's a bit strange to have gaps in the UI for these kind of numbers or common sense approach to figuring out the stats. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Oh and if anybody wants me to link the formula or other stuff that I've found for whatever reason just let me know.

Comments

• Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    1. The combination of all it's parts and your piloting (activating abilities, being in the 'right' spot, etc.)
    2. Pretty colors AFAIK
    3. Rarely, the Borg don't adapt to melee, so it can be handy against them.
    4. Dual Heavy Cannons forward with turrets aft have a slightly higher potential ceiling than the other types, but not by a large margin on 5 Fore weapon ship.
    5. It's more specialty weapons and supporting consoles than a base type that matters. You're fairly safe picking a favorite color and unifying to that type and can get good damage. All Tac consoles matching that one damage type, and only one primary type of weapon (I.E. run all beam arrays but no cannons if you want beams, even slotting one torp is iffy nowadays [torps benefit from going all-in more than being mixed, and the basic types of torps aren't that great])
    6. Rarely. Borg don't adapt to kinetic on ground so Tr-116B or shotguns do well against them. The Crystaline Entity in space is more resistant to energy weapons than kinetics. Otherwise, no, not really.
    7. x2 x3 x4 is how many of the particular modifier that came before the x. [CrtH] by itself is +2% Critical Chance for that weapon (and only that weapon) but [CrtH]x2 is 4%, x3 6%. [Dmg] is an increase of 3% (final damage, what it says is what you get, unlike most % damage stuff in STO), so [Dmg]x3 would be 3 of those or a bit over 9% (9.2727% since final damage is multiplicative)
    8. A lot is 'subject to change' so they typically don't go into too much detail since they might nerf or buff things. For the extra stuff in the boxes not listed, it's due to a fair number of items being carried forward from other boxes, like R&D packs, bonus pools, etc. that would take up quite a bit to list that an avid box opener will know already.

This game is fairly opaque, it's one of the things that they could really do with making clearer, though do note that it used to be worse (you can at least figure out what Skill Points actually translate to now as an example) but this game was originally released in 2010 has accrued a lot of stuff, and loads of buffs and nerfs to that stuff, over it's lifetime.

This is handy in getting started: https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/wiki/tenforward it's a guide type thing to help get new users going by the user DeadQthulhu, it should hopefully help.

If you want to go much deeper, this recent post on the STOBuilds Reddit is the current meta guide to 'best' damage out of weapons in space: https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/9nz5hm/mathematical_guide_to_dps_gear_meta_postagents_of/
  • Options
    ambycloud#4202 ambycloud Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Thanks - that does help! !@#$%^&