test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Warp Effects and Ships

orionstarhunter#5913 orionstarhunter Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited December 2023 in Controls and User Interface
So I've been playing STO off and on for about 4 years now.
Just recently started a new toon in the Discovery era and noticed something that I thought may apply to everyone.

While I am a fan of the 23c warp effect, it would be nice to change this option on a 25c toon so that it matches your ship.
Example:
I received the T6 Crossfield class ship through one of the Discovery lock boxes, and opened it on my main toon which is in the 25c.
When engaging the warp drive, the visuals and audio are that of 25c, and honestly looks silly with the Crossfield ship going to warp like the Enterprise from Next Generation.

What would be great is to change this so that it warps according to what we're used to seeing on the shows.
You could call it visual effects, and have it as an option in the settings under advanced tab.

Second, it would be nice to share the ships we have either bought or earned with our other toons on the same account. Being able to use my Crossfield with my 23c toon once they reach the rank of Fleet Admiral would be nice.

Anyone's thoughts on this are welcome, and I ask Cryptic to please consider this. The files are already stored on our system to accomplish this, and all it would take is menu option to enable these visual effects.

Thank you.
Post edited by rattler2 on

Comments

• Options
    arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Ships that you buy from the C-store are claimable by all toons on your account of the proper faction. Ships attained from the Lobi store, lockbox, phoenix box ...... well, basically ships that you get from any source other than C-store are limited to the toon that opened the box to get the ship. It has always been that way and will likely never change.

Also, most promos/giveaways that reward a C-store ship will unlock that ship for the entire account, although I seem to remember a few exceptions to that where only the toon that claimed it could get it.

As for the visuals, IIRC they are "hard coded" into the "faction" of the toon, making it impossible to change the effects based on what ship you are flying, so a DSC toon will always get DSC visuals no matter what ship they fly, same for AoY, KDF, ROM, etc.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • Options
    lenonnlenonn Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    > @arionisa said:
    > As for the visuals, IIRC they are "hard coded" into the "faction" of the toon, making it impossible to change the effects based on what ship you are flying, so a DSC toon will always get DSC visuals no matter what ship they fly, same for AoY, KDF, ROM, etc.

Well, that blows. It looks awkward and is just plain lazy programming.
  • Options
    jadzia#2166 jadzia Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hello!

Acutally now this thread is more likly 5 years'ish old and maybe nobody will read this but still the warp animation is bothering me, not with the different animation for the toons but im thinking about some stuff.

My problem with the game nowadays is that its nearly 2024 (and i played it since 2011) and the game is out already for a really really long time so why dont the developers are putting more love in some visuals/realsim. I fully understand that they dont want to use a different engine as their in-house engine but here are still some suggestions:

The warp animation and its loading screen seems really outdated for a "open world" space game, you can just cut off all loading screens and make the game smothly as one, what i mean is that when you warp out or in a system its just one smothly animation with no cutoff or loading screen (like as in gta 5 or space citizen).

When you leave a system you just go acutally on warp like as (i already mentioned) the game "star citizen" did, you acutally see leaving the system and go smothly in one way out of the system and then of course the same way when you enter a system.

In my opinion it would add so much more realism and designe to the game and make it feel less clonky, more 3 dimensional, maybe with the beam down/up animation as well, maybe it is just me but through the many loading screens and cut offs it feels like you just move yourself in different maps, unconnected to the game and not as it should be as one - i dont know how to describe it, i hope somebody does read this and knows what i mean.

And also add a y axis to the game so it is not on one level of "2d gameplay", for example when you play the tfo "the vault" you have problems going from bottom to top or top to bottom because you need to "cycle down/top".

What i mean is that maybe make it possible that you can fully go downwards or to the top in a 180° angel.

Have a nice day!
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Yeeeeaaa... someone knowingly dug up a zombie... Begone Necromancy!

*Casts Holy Photon Torpedo*
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.