test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Yet another artan42 "Starfleet is/isn't a military" tangent

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    -O'Brien became the head of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers.

Which makes absolutely no sense, since he's a career enlisted man and damn proud of it. The head of the Corps of Engineers would be an officer.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited October 2018
    starswordc wrote: »
    Which makes absolutely no sense, since he's a career enlisted man and damn proud of it. The head of the Corps of Engineers would be an officer.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Path_to_2409
    Two Starfleet advancements of note: Lieutenant Commander Naomi Wildman was appointed as second officer of the U.S.S. Hathaway, and Miles O'Brien was named head of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers, the first time a non-commissioned officer had held that position.

"This isn't about rank, it's about talent," said outgoing SCE chief Captain Sonya Gomez. "Miles is the quintessential engineer, and his talent for making the impossible possible makes him the ideal person for this job."

Doesn't matter. Maintenance chief of a space station is a completely different job and skillset from operational head of an entire department of Starfleet: the one is akin to being an industrial shop foreman, the other is the CEO of the major corporation that owns the shop, employs a workforce of millions and has an operating budget bigger than the GDP of entire countries. It certainly helps to know the skills of the guys at the pointy end, but it's not an enlisted man's skillset or billet, it's a billet that rightly belongs to a 4-star admiral. (I wouldn't be complaining about that if he'd taken a commission, I'd just be complaining that it seemed OOC for O'Brien in particular.)

It would've made perfect sense for O'Brien to have been made Master Chief Petty Officer of Starfleet, but making him head of SCE is flatly stupid. But then so is most of what Cryptic wrote for Starfleet's organization in STO, especially the rank system.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @starswordc said:
    > somtaawkhar wrote: »
    >
    > starswordc wrote: »
    >
    > Which makes absolutely no sense, since he's a career enlisted man and damn proud of it. The head of the Corps of Engineers would be an officer.
    >
    >
    >
    > https://sto.gamepedia.com/Path_to_2409 Two Starfleet advancements of note: Lieutenant Commander Naomi Wildman was appointed as second officer of the U.S.S. Hathaway, and Miles O'Brien was named head of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers, the first time a non-commissioned officer had held that position.
    >
    > "This isn't about rank, it's about talent," said outgoing SCE chief Captain Sonya Gomez. "Miles is the quintessential engineer, and his talent for making the impossible possible makes him the ideal person for this job."
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Doesn't matter. Maintenance chief of a space station is a completely different job and skillset from operational head of an entire department of Starfleet: the one is akin to being an industrial shop foreman, the other is the CEO of the major corporation that owns the shop, employs a workforce of millions and has an operating budget bigger than the GDP of entire countries. It certainly helps to know the skills of the guys at the pointy end, but it's not an enlisted man's skillset or billet, it's a billet that rightly belongs to a 4-star admiral. (I wouldn't be complaining about that if he'd taken a commission, I'd just be complaining that it seemed OOC for O'Brien in particular.)
    >
    > It would've made perfect sense for O'Brien to have been made Master Chief Petty Officer of Starfleet, but making him head of SCE is flatly stupid. But then so is most of what Cryptic wrote for Starfleet's organization in STO, especially the rank system.

Welcome to the whole idea of "but Starfleet isn't a military!"

Which I do not subscribe to. It was high forms of lunacy to make Chief O'Brien head of SCE. Maybe the Master Chief of the branch, but not the actual head. Utter bullocks.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    edited October 2018
    talonxv wrote: »

Which I do not subscribe to. It was high forms of lunacy to make Chief O'Brien head of SCE. Maybe the Master Chief of the branch, but not the actual head. Utter bullocks.

*looks around quickly for artan42* :D

But see, that isn't even a military versus civilian question, it's a rank-and-file worker versus upper management question, is my point. The two jobs take almost completely different skillsets. (There's a reason they often hire former generals and admirals to run companies IRL: they have experience at running large, complex organizations and operations with a lot of resources [money] on the line.)
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Path_to_2409
    Two Starfleet advancements of note: Lieutenant Commander Naomi Wildman was appointed as second officer of the U.S.S. Hathaway, and Miles O'Brien was named head of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers, the first time a non-commissioned officer had held that position.

"This isn't about rank, it's about talent," said outgoing SCE chief Captain Sonya Gomez. "Miles is the quintessential engineer, and his talent for making the impossible possible makes him the ideal person for this job."

Doesn't matter. Maintenance chief of a space station is a completely different job and skillset from operational head of an entire department of Starfleet: the one is akin to being an industrial shop foreman, the other is the CEO of the major corporation that owns the shop, employs a workforce of millions and has an operating budget bigger than the GDP of entire countries. It certainly helps to know the skills of the guys at the pointy end, but it's not an enlisted man's skillset or billet, it's a billet that rightly belongs to a 4-star admiral. (I wouldn't be complaining about that if he'd taken a commission, I'd just be complaining that it seemed OOC for O'Brien in particular.)

It would've made perfect sense for O'Brien to have been made Master Chief Petty Officer of Starfleet, but making him head of SCE is flatly stupid. But then so is most of what Cryptic wrote for Starfleet's organization in STO, especially the rank system.

Starfleet is not the US military. Starfleet NCOs can and do things that don't happen in militaries. You can also get promoted from cadet to captain an a few days.

*looks around quickly for artan42* :D

But see, that isn't even a military versus civilian question, it's a rank-and-file worker versus upper management question, is my point. The two jobs take almost completely different skillsets. (There's a reason they often hire former generals and admirals to run companies IRL: they have experience at running large, complex organizations and operations with a lot of resources [money] on the line.)

Hey! I'd already started replying. Let me copy and paste.

Starfleet is not the US military. Starfleet NCOs can and do things that don't happen in militaries. You can also get promoted from cadet to captain an a few days. You can also be one of the most competent officers on ship and not get promoted in seven years.

Considering O'Brien is simultaneously a lieutenant and 'not an officer' and wears the rank of a lieutenant, a generic NCO, and a specific petty officer (dunno which type, Americans have far too many PO ranks) any arguments about what he can or can't do based on the US military is utterly meaningless weather you think Starfleet is a military or not (it's not BTW ;) ).

He spent about 4 years as a high level manager in the Engineering department on a flagship then seven years as effectively a site manager for a frontline Starbase (an alien on at that) and naturally moved on to become CEO of an engineering academy/company. What shiny things he has on his neck are meaningless because he's been assigned the position due to extensive experience in management​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited October 2018
    > @artan42 said:
    >
    > somtaawkhar wrote: »
    >
    >
    > Which makes absolutely no sense, since he's a career enlisted man and damn proud of it. The head of the Corps of Engineers would be an officer.
    >
    >
    >
    > https://sto.gamepedia.com/Path_to_2409 Two Starfleet advancements of note: Lieutenant Commander Naomi Wildman was appointed as second officer of the U.S.S. Hathaway, and Miles O'Brien was named head of the Starfleet Corps of Engineers, the first time a non-commissioned officer had held that position.
    >
    > "This isn't about rank, it's about talent," said outgoing SCE chief Captain Sonya Gomez. "Miles is the quintessential engineer, and his talent for making the impossible possible makes him the ideal person for this job."
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Doesn't matter. Maintenance chief of a space station is a completely different job and skillset from operational head of an entire department of Starfleet: the one is akin to being an industrial shop foreman, the other is the CEO of the major corporation that owns the shop, employs a workforce of millions and has an operating budget bigger than the GDP of entire countries. It certainly helps to know the skills of the guys at the pointy end, but it's not an enlisted man's skillset or billet, it's a billet that rightly belongs to a 4-star admiral. (I wouldn't be complaining about that if he'd taken a commission, I'd just be complaining that it seemed OOC for O'Brien in particular.)
    >
    > It would've made perfect sense for O'Brien to have been made Master Chief Petty Officer of Starfleet, but making him head of SCE is flatly stupid. But then so is most of what Cryptic wrote for Starfleet's organization in STO, especially the rank system.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Starfleet is not the US military. Starfleet NCOs can and do things that don't happen in militaries. You can also get promoted from cadet to captain an a few days.
    >
    > talonxv wrote: »
    >
    > Welcome to the whole idea of "but Starfleet isn't a military!"
    >
    > Which I do not subscribe to. It was high forms of lunacy to make Chief O'Brien head of SCE. Maybe the Master Chief of the branch, but not the actual head. Utter bullocks.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > *looks around quickly for artan42* :D
    >
    > But see, that isn't even a military versus civilian question, it's a rank-and-file worker versus upper management question, is my point. The two jobs take almost completely different skillsets. (There's a reason they often hire former generals and admirals to run companies IRL: they have experience at running large, complex organizations and operations with a lot of resources [money] on the line.)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hey! I'd already started replying. Let me copy and paste.
    >
    > Starfleet is not the US military. Starfleet NCOs can and do things that don't happen in militaries. You can also get promoted from cadet to captain an a few days. You can also be one of the most competent officers on ship and not get promoted in seven years.
    >
    > Considering O'Brien is simultaneously a lieutenant and 'not an officer' and wears the rank of a lieutenant, a generic NCO, and a specific petty officer (dunno which type, Americans have far too many PO ranks) any arguments about what he can or can't do based on the US military is utterly meaningless weather you think Starfleet is a military or not (it's not BTW ;) ).
    >
    > He spent about 4 years as a high level manager in the Engineering department on a flagship then seven years as effectively a site manager for a frontline Starbase (an alien on at that) and naturally moved on to become CEO of an engineering academy/company. What shiny things he has on his neck are meaningless because he's been assigned the position due to extensive experience in management​​

This is the biggest load of horse dung you've said yet. Let me rip this apart.

Now don't get me wrong. O'Brien is a damn good engineer. But outside of chief of operations and being a transporter chief and a soldier, what other qualifications does O'Brien have?

Has he done a major planetary construction project that SCE does? To our knowledge: No.

Has he ever designed and or built a ship from the ground up? No. And you can't use Defiant, he just fixed what others created as a damn good field engineer does.

Has he ever personally run ANY Federation ship yard. Hell forget an entire yard, has he even personally run a dry dock? NO.

Has he lead any more people besides say a squad level detachment? No.

So what actual qualifications does O'Brien have to actually lead SCE.

The correct answer is ZERO. Now to be the senior enlisted of SCE, a right hand man, he's still a few qualifications short, but that's more where he should be.

Also the supposition that a cadet can go from that to Captain is one of the dumbest things and plot contrivances there is. It's like taking a cadet straight out of Annapolis handing him the keys to an Areligh Burke class DD and saying "she's all yours" which is asninie.

Quite frankly the Standard Federation tutorial is DUMB. And DSC by default. The origional tutorial I did when this game went F2P was better because you were already a line officer and took command when the senior staff was killed, much like the KDF tutorial we have now. And AoY. Though in AoY Captain got promoted and he got to hand pick his successor. And from what I remember of the AoY tutorial, you'd been apart of that ship's crew for a while.

So no your logic is flawed and your evidence is half***ed. But want further proof of why Cadets shouldn't be given command out of the gate?

Go rewatch DS9 episode Valiant. Perfect example of raw skill not tempered by experience. And how it got a Defiant class ship destroyer(which as needed on the front lines) and a badly needed crop of cadets needed graduated on the front lines.

Hell I'll go one step further. You say in Star Fleet you can go from cadet to Captain? Give cadet nog a ship then. Go ahead. Not tempered Captain Nog of Chimera. But Cadet Nog.

Nog himself would call you an idiot.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    This is the biggest load of horse dung you've said yet. Let me rip this apart.

Should be fun because you're normally realllllly good at logical, well thought out arguments.
    Has he done a major planetary construction project that SCE does? To our knowledge: No.

Has any character? No.
    Has he ever designed and or built a ship from the ground up? No. And you can't use Defiant, he just fixed what others created as a damn good field engineer does.

Has any character? No.
    Has he ever personally run ANY Federation ship yard. Hell forget an entire yard, has he even personally run a dry dock? NO.

Has any character? No.
    Has he lead any more people besides say a squad level detachment? No.

Yes. Both the entier Starfleet engineering team on DS9. The Bajoran engineering team on DS9. The Defient's engineering team. I.e. actual teams not squads. In fact it's next to impossible to see where you even came up with the concept O'Brien has never run anything larger than a squad.
    So what actual qualifications does O'Brien have to actually lead SCE.

I've already gone through them. Do you even read?
    The correct answer is ZERO. Now to be the senior enlisted of SCE, a right hand man, he's still a few qualifications short, but that's more where he should be.

Well, no the correct answer is yes as you've not actually debunked any of them. Just asked if he fulfilled some arbitrary criteria you pulled out of your TRIBBLE.
    Also the supposition that a cadet can go from that to Captain is one of the dumbest things and plot contrivances there is. It's like taking a cadet straight out of Annapolis handing him the keys to an Areligh Burke class DD and saying "she's all yours" which is asninie.

And yet it's canon.
    *Snipped material that means talonxv has not seen 09.*

Again, meaningless, it's canon.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

edited October 2018
    > @artan42 said:
    >
    > This is the biggest load of horse dung you've said yet. Let me rip this apart.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Should be fun because you're normally realllllly good at logical, well thought out arguments.
    >
    > Has he done a major planetary construction project that SCE does? To our knowledge: No.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Has any character? No.
    >
    > Has he ever designed and or built a ship from the ground up? No. And you can't use Defiant, he just fixed what others created as a damn good field engineer does.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Has any character? No.
    >
    > Has he ever personally run ANY Federation ship yard. Hell forget an entire yard, has he even personally run a dry dock? NO.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Has any character? No.
    >
    > Has he lead any more people besides say a squad level detachment? No.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Yes. Both the entier Starfleet engineering team on DS9. The Bajoran engineering team on DS9. The Defient's engineering team. I.e. actual teams not squads. In fact it's next to impossible to see where you even came up with the concept O'Brien has never run anything larger than a squad.
    >
    > So what actual qualifications does O'Brien have to actually lead SCE.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I've already gone through them. Do you even read?
    >
    > The correct answer is ZERO. Now to be the senior enlisted of SCE, a right hand man, he's still a few qualifications short, but that's more where he should be.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Well, no the correct answer is yes as you've not actually debunked any of them. Just asked if he fulfilled some arbitrary criteria you pulled out of your ****.
    >
    > Also the supposition that a cadet can go from that to Captain is one of the dumbest things and plot contrivances there is. It's like taking a cadet straight out of Annapolis handing him the keys to an Areligh Burke class DD and saying "she's all yours" which is asninie.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And yet it's canon.
    >
    > *Snipped material that means talonxv has not seen 09.*
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Again, meaningless, it's canon.​​

Has any character in any show. Yes. SISKO. Last assignment before DS9 Utopia Planetia Yards. So once again try again.

O'Brien is well versed in hardware and decently and has lead a section of what 50 people? So now he's suddenly qualified to lead hundreds of thousands?

Wow. I can't even begin to say how illogical and hysterically bad writing this is. Glad you're not in charge.

Oh and that's not random criteria btw. That's the mission profile of SCE. Some of which O'Brien had NEVER DONE. But somehow he's qualified to lead it? Wow. Just wow.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    Point of Order: in British military practice, a Section is a unit of 2-6 soldiers (analogous to a US Army Fire Team). What O'Brien commands on DS9 is more akin to a Company, and on Defiant either a Squad or a Platoon (depending on how large Defiant's Engineering detachment is). He also oversaw repairs on the Defiant many times. Still doesn't qualify him for SCE, mind. But it's not as bad, since he was already performing the duties of an Lt at least.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Has any character? No.​​
    And therefore none of the characters are qualified for the role, with the possible exceptions of Kirk and Picard (who have at least commanded large units requiring that the CO be more experienced at PADD-shuffling than welding - heading the entire Starfleet Corps of Engineers isn't exactly a hands-on job).

I'd gladly put O'Brien in charge of a crew repairing (or even building from the keel out) a starship, or designing and deploying a remote space station, but he's no more qualified to run the entire SCE than I am.

As Starsword noted, this isn't even a question of military or nonmilitary - if he had the quals, brevetting him to whatever rank was required would be a matter of a moment's work for someone at Starfleet Command. It's a matter of his not having the skillset to do the job.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited October 2018
    ryan218 wrote: »
    Point of Order: in British military practice, a Section is a unit of 2-6 soldiers (analogous to a US Army Fire Team). What O'Brien commands on DS9 is more akin to a Company, and on Defiant either a Squad or a Platoon (depending on how large Defiant's Engineering detachment is). He also oversaw repairs on the Defiant many times. Still doesn't qualify him for SCE, mind. But it's not as bad, since he was already performing the duties of an Lt at least.
    Army analogies really don't work here: what he's doing is running a ship-board (station-board) department. In a US comparison it'd be if they gave the position of chief engineer (CHENG) to a warrant officer (which in the US military is a separate set of ranks that's considered senior to master chief petty officers but junior to commissioned officer; my understanding is that it's different in British rank systems).
    jonsills wrote: »
    Has any character? No.​​
    And therefore none of the characters are qualified for the role, with the possible exceptions of Kirk and Picard (who have at least commanded large units requiring that the CO be more experienced at PADD-shuffling than welding - heading the entire Starfleet Corps of Engineers isn't exactly a hands-on job).
    Also Sisko, because as @talonxv correctly pointed out, Sisko canonically ran a major starship R&D project as a mid-level officer. But he's unavailable to STO because he's busy being the Emissary and Avery Brooks apparently didn't want to come back to voice him (which I kind of approve of: what they did with the character in the novels I think cheapens his entire character arc).
    jonsills wrote: »
    As Starsword noted, this isn't even a question of military or nonmilitary - if he had the quals, brevetting him to whatever rank was required would be a matter of a moment's work for someone at Starfleet Command. It's a matter of his not having the skillset to do the job.

Or the inclination: he had that "enlisted pride" thing going, noting the advantages of not having to get dressed up for a lot of formal functions the way the officers did. That's a big part of why I like him as a character: he's the average Joe blue-collar working man to contrast the glamorous highly educated officers.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Times someone said explicitly "Starfleet is not a military organization" 6 or 7-ish?

Times someone said explicitly "Starfleet is a military organization" 0

The rest is people circlejerking about their affection for GI Joe pig-2.gif

(I myself invest a great time in my fictional organizations and design of uniforms, structures and so on, be it Star Trek or XCOM or some other franchise I like. I don't criticize that, although my enthusiasm ceases for actual present-day militaries (I still have some affection for the armies of the imperial age). Still, both of the mentioned examples are paramilitary organizations by in-canon information)​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Change the title. You started the tangent not me. You invoked me directly by name after already starting your tangent.

And Starfleet's explicitly and directly not a military.

#TASforSTO

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Yet performs the functions of one in wartime.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Yet performs the functions of one in wartime.

Yes. As I've said before.

#TASforSTO

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Star Fleet is a military. Just because the writers can't figure out things doesn't mean its not.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

Quite frankly the Standard Federation tutorial is DUMB. And DSC by default. The origional tutorial I did when this game went F2P was better because you were already a line officer and took command when the senior staff was killed, much like the KDF tutorial we have now. And AoY. Though in AoY Captain got promoted and he got to hand pick his successor. And from what I remember of the AoY tutorial, you'd been apart of that ship's crew for a while.
    And yet it's canon.

And it was dumb in Star Trek 2009 when it was done. TOS Kirk graduated Starfleet Academy and served aboard the USS Farragut before commanding the USS Enterprise. At least the Federation Tutorial has to satisfy the needs of players and players want to be a Captain ASAP and not spend a few months or years as Cadet or Ensign. So if Cryptic wants to show the Starfleet Academy experience, then we have to do the idiotic Cadet to Captain promotion.

On a side note, since our AoD Captains follow Kelvin Kirk's lead by not graduating Starfleet Academy and becoming a Captain, doesn't that erase TOS Kirk's reputation of being the youngest Captain in Starfleet in the Prime Universe? At least with the original Federation tutorial and the AoY tutorial, it was never specified how long our Captains served aboard their ships.
    I don't think so. Kirk was the youngest to rise through the ranks to Captain. Don't forget our character only got a field promotion to LIEUTENANT. Not Captain. Also don't forget that our characters "died" at Starbase 1.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    And yet it's canon.

So are "Spock's Brain", "Code of Honor", "Profit and Lace", "Threshold", and "A Night in Sickbay". Being canon doesn't make it good writing.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    In the US Navy it takes 10 years to go from Ensign to Captain.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    edited October 2018
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Times someone said explicitly "Starfleet is not a military organization" 6 or 7-ish?

Times someone said explicitly "Starfleet is a military organization" 0
    Correction:
    • Not a military: said twice by Kelvin!Scotty and once by Picard. Picard never said Starfleet isn't a military organization, he said he preferred to think of himself as an explorer. Anything relating to Archer is irrelevant, as the UE Starfleet is a different organization from the Federation Starfleet (and indeed the explicit military arm of United Earth was combined with it at the Federation's founding).
    • Is a military: said explicitly by Prime!Kirk, who comported himself as a military officer and expected his crew to follow suit (witness a very military-style chewing-out by Kirk of Scotty and the others involved in the bar fight in "The Trouble with Tribbles"). Also said explicitly by David Marcus. Other characters were not asked, but Sisko also comported himself as a military officer (see the scene in "Homefront" where he interrogates Nog about Red Squad).

EDIT: Corrected.
    The rest is people circlejerking about their affection for GI Joe pig-2.gif

Hardly. I consider the question one of semantics and Earth-origin humans' preferences. Kelvin!Scotty doesn't think he's a soldier or serving in a military? Good for him. Prime!Kirk says he is; how is that a less valid opinion? What does Spock think? Would he find it logical that an organization empowered to prosecute wars on behalf of its government, and whose field representatives are empowered to glass inhabited worlds at a whim is not a military organization? Remember, he's a devotee of Surak's rationalist philosophies of "reality-truth". What does Worf think? He idolizes his warrior heritage, you can make a guess from that. What does Ro Laren think? Diplomacy and science didn't kick the Cardassians off her world, dogged armed resistance did. Hell, let's go further: what do the representatives of other governments think, the Klingon Defense Force, the Romulan Imperial Fleet, the Cardassian Guard? Do their opinions matter less than Picard's and Kelvin!Scotty's?

The preponderance of evidence says that Starfleet is a de facto military organization because of its design, capabilities, and functions, even if de jure it is not, the same way you can say someone is a de facto ruler of a country if the de jure ruler does whatever he says (see Hugh Despenser the Younger and King Edward II Plantagenet).
    Post edited by starswordc on
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,361 Arc User
    In fact, Starfleet is explicitly called a military at least once ("Scientists have always been pawns of the military!"). In TOS, Starfleet is referred to as "the Service", in exactly the same way a member of a military force refers to "the Service", and Kirk calls himself a "soldier" on at least two occasions ("I'm a soldier, not a diplomat, Bones").

And they serve the functions of a military not only in wartime, but in peacetime as well - readiness drills, exploration, and disaster relief.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited October 2018
    @starswordc Picard literally said the words "Starfleet is not a military organization. It's purpose is exploration". Overall, all your examples of pro are your own interpretations that go against literal writing and writer's intention. The catchphrase of the squealin' franchise coupled with writing counters everything that you think should be. Because Trek isn't real. You can disagree with the depiction and the writing, no problem. I have my fair share of issues with it. But we are unable to change it. Someone else wrote that book, even if you scribble in your copy it doesn't change the original.

Don't forget this is not about ideology. It's blatant obvious written out in-universe facts of a piece of fiction. In Star Trek, the Vulcans invented Velcro and T'pol's ancestor gave it to the humans. I don't say that isn't true in-universe because it never actially happened but it is stupid writing. Doesn't make it 'wrong' in Star Trek.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited October 2018
    @starswordc Picard literally said the words "Starfleet is not a military organization. It's purpose is exploration".

Fine; I corrected my post. Explain how that erases Kirk's and David Marcus's statements that Starfleet is a military organization.

When opinions disagree, you go to hard evidence to determine the truth. It works for anthropogenic climate change, it works for this.
    Overall, all your examples of pro are your own interpretations that go against literal writing and writer's intention. The catchphrase of the squealin' franchise coupled with writing counters everything that you think should be. Because Trek isn't real. You can disagree with the depiction and the writing, no problem. I have my fair share of issues with it. But we are unable to change it. Someone else wrote that book, even if you scribble in your copy it doesn't change the original.

Don't forget this is not about ideology. It's blatant obvious written out in-universe facts of a piece of fiction.

"It's just fiction, relax" is the argument one uses in these debates when they know they're losing. And writer intent and an empty sack are worth the sack. It's what's on the page and/or filmed that counts. You can say that the Kzinti in the one TAS episode were intended to be wearing gray, but canonically they're wearing hot pink.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

edited October 2018
    Winning and losing? I feel we are really not seeing eye to eye here. You are clearly emotionally invested here and that's not really what I'm going for.

The statements aren't erased, but they aren't exposition dialogue. One is Kirk's characterisation on a personal level and the other might as well be a historic analogy of a scientist who lost his project to a authority. When the same happens two movies later a comparable comment is made and the same Kirk says "we're not the military". But even if we assume David is in a position to provide exposition of Starfleet's nature to us then we have this instance versus much more and later instances countering it.

The whole hard facts thing is curious. Climate change is a actual thing, Star Trek is fiction. Different rules apply. In real life, there is no exposition dialogue and voice overs telling us what is going on.

The Kzindi thing is a grey area really, as it depends how production errors are handled. To me Miles O'Brien doesn't doesn't become a lieutenant and gets demoted again and he isn't supposed to. But does he for you? To me, Klingons and Kzinti never wore purple in-universe because it was an error, but I calue the out-of-universe goof. Klingon Warbirds on the other hoof are the result of an error that got canonized through repeated dialogue, sadly.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    I don't think so. Kirk was the youngest to rise through the ranks to Captain. Don't forget our character only got a field promotion to LIEUTENANT. Not Captain. Also don't forget that our characters "died" at Starbase 1.

When a non-Captain commands a ship, it is usually temporarily or it is a smaller ship commanded by a Lieutenant Commander or Commander not a Lieutenant. A Lieutenant that skipped their graduation of the Academy wouldn't have been given command of such a ship without the appropriate field commission.

The more likely scenario is the AoD character would be congratulated on their fine service, sent back to the Academy, and given a better ship for their first official assignment while the Malachowski ship would be given to a more experienced Starfleet Officer not an extremely skilled, but inexperienced Starfleet Officer.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I could see Starfleet being like the JSDF (Japanese Self Defence Forces) in that they act like a military but are not classed as one.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
      I could see Starfleet being like the JSDF (Japanese Self Defence Forces) in that they act like a military but are not classed as one.

You know... that's probably the best comparison really. If we look at the history of Starfleet, they never fought to expand territory during war. Even during the Dominion War, the main goal of Starfleet was to defend existing territory, and only advance if the opprotunity presented itself. The Federation has negotiated borders with its neighbors.

Being someone who likes GATE, I can see this being a good middle ground in this argument about Starfleet being or not being military.
    • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User

You know... that's probably the best comparison really. If we look at the history of Starfleet, they never fought to expand territory during war. Even during the Dominion War, the main goal of Starfleet was to defend existing territory, and only advance if the opprotunity presented itself. The Federation has negotiated borders with its neighbors.

Being someone who likes GATE, I can see this being a good middle ground in this argument about Starfleet being or not being military.

This is how I tend to classify Starfleet as well: It's a Self Defence Force. That leaves enough ambiguity that characters like Picard can say (without looking idiotic) that Starfleet isn't a military, while acknowledging Starfleet's military role.