test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

DSC shouldn't have been a TOS prequel

Comments

• tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    Well I watched Tex-Trek and I don’t find most of his arguments compelling. Tex-Trek pulls the same thing he’s accusing Midnight's Edge doing which considering this was the counterpoint argument I find ironic. I was going to do a write up bullet point to bullet point but after a while, I was like what’s the point. All that is going to happen is that people who are ardent defenders of DISCO are going to label anyone that disagrees with them and anti-DISCO, and the cycle will continue.

I know it’s hard for some to believe, but I do look at multiple sources, and come to my own conclusions. DISCO was CBS flagship product, of course there was going to be a lot more scrutiny with its mishaps. However, I do find Midnight's Edge arguments much more compelling than any of other counter points presented so far. Yes as more information becomes available, thoughts do shift to support new facts, that’s why its speculation. I am sorry that I am not omnipotence where I can have all the facts and know everything. I didn’t hate DISCO, I thought there were some interesting ideas in it, I just don't agree with the tonal shift and the rewriting of established lore.

The JJ Films for all their faults at least did something with it. This is where in my opinion DISCO ultimately fails and why in my option it is ultimately more style over substance. this leads me in to the real problem and it not just with DISCO. There is a tonal shift issue in Hollywood, where everything needs to Darker and Edgire even when it doesn’t make sense. Add on to that people trying to make their mark on the franchise, yeah it is going to get worse. For sustained success, producer/directors need to start adopting sound and music design standards, where, to periphrases, “if you don’t notice it, you are doing a good job.”

Labeling someone that is trying to have a conversation, tells everyone more about you, then me.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Well I watched Tex-Trek and I don’t find most of his arguments compelling. Tex-Trek pulls the same thing he’s accusing Midnight's Edge doing which considering this was the counterpoint argument I find ironic. I was going to do a write up bullet point to bullet point but after a while, I was like what’s the point. All that is going to happen is that people who are ardent defenders of DISCO are going to label anyone that disagrees with them and anti-DISCO, and the cycle will continue.

I know it’s hard for some to believe, but I do look at multiple sources, and come to my own conclusions. DISCO was CBS flagship product, of course there was going to be a lot more scrutiny with its mishaps. However, I do find Midnight's Edge arguments much more compelling than any of other counter points presented so far. Yes as more information becomes available, thoughts do shift to support new facts, that’s why its speculation. I am sorry that I am not omnipotence where I can have all the facts and know everything. I didn’t hate DISCO, I thought there were some interesting ideas in it, I just don't agree with the tonal shift and the rewriting of established lore.

The JJ Films for all their faults at least did something with it. This is where in my opinion DISCO ultimately fails and why in my option it is ultimately more style over substance. this leads me in to the real problem and it not just with DISCO. There is a tonal shift issue in Hollywood, where everything needs to Darker and Edgire even when it doesn’t make sense. Add on to that people trying to make their mark on the franchise, yeah it is going to get worse. For sustained success, producer/directors need to start adopting sound and music design standards, where, to periphrases, “if you don’t notice it, you are doing a good job.”

Labeling someone that is trying to have a conversation, tells everyone more about you, then me.

Absolutely none of that was in your last post. You parreted a conspiratorial compulsive liar and had that pointed out to you by multiple people.
    Your opinions or lack thereof of DSC were not even mentioned. No attempt at conversation was attempted. Only a prompt to go watch a scaremongering hoodwinker.

Also, if you bothered to do any reading at all you'll find that all of the 'ardent defenders of DISCO' here have their issues with the show and things they like to change. Nobody claims it's perfect, nobody likes everything about any of the shows.

But I suppose if you're just going to repeat the same old debunked, yet still embarrassingly common, talking points and get it pointed out to you you're going have to ignore that and assume everybody's out to get you because the alternative is reading what they actually say and maybe change your own mind.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I have been marginally involved in several news stories in my lifetime, and the professional journalists never got it right, even to inventing major details and motivations for what happened.

There is a reason for that. All sources of news have an agenda. They impose a bias on their explanation, even when they are trying to be truthful. And the journalist has a bias too, even when he's looking for the truth. He then selects the witnesses which confirm his bias whether he wants to or not.

Humans have a remarkable ability to imagine the tiger behind the gleam in the dark forest night. It has saved our ancestors many times from being eaten. But nine out of ten times it's just a dew-drop reflecting moonlight, and reacting to it as if it were a tiger never hurt anybody. So when the news guy starts shouting, "Tiger!" it's wise to look, but don't be surprised when the tiger turns into a dew drop.
  • luminaire#0745 luminaire Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    No, Discovery should not have been a prequel. But if it wasn't, how would they have dragged out familiar characters and things on demand to farm that sweet sweet TOS nostalgia?

Given how deliberately they've set about to reject the aesthetic and the inherent story limitations of being set so close to TOS, it's pretty clear that's the only reason it was made a prequel.

Having Tuvok show up on future Discovery wouldn't have gotten nearly the same reaction as SPOCK! PIKE! ENTERPRISE! running around in prequel Discovery.

At this point I'm half expecting Burnham to end up in command of the Enterprise with Tilly as her XO and Spock and Kirk are just sort of around to occasionally say SOMETHING YOU REMEMBER! from TOS.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    No, Discovery should not have been a prequel. But if it wasn't, how would they have dragged out familiar characters and things on demand to farm that sweet sweet TOS nostalgia?

Given how deliberately they've set about to reject the aesthetic and the inherent story limitations of being set so close to TOS, it's pretty clear that's the only reason it was made a prequel.

Having Tuvok show up on future Discovery wouldn't have gotten nearly the same reaction as SPOCK! PIKE! ENTERPRISE! running around in prequel Discovery.

At this point I'm half expecting Burnham to end up in command of the Enterprise with Tilly as her XO and Spock and Kirk are just sort of around to occasionally say SOMETHING YOU REMEMBER! from TOS.

But we already had SPOCK! PIKE! ENTERPRISE! nostalgia with the new Star Trek movies. Discovery likely ruined any TOS nostalgia with their Klingons.
    It strikes me as a rushed project which was poorly planned, if anything I'm reading about the show is accurate.

I'm going to go out on a limb and blame Mr. Peters here. When CBS saw how much fans were willing to pay to see a trek fan-fic, they saw dollar and euro signs in their eyes and jumped. They scraped up a few folks who said, "We can do it better!" threw them a wad of cash, and said, "Hurry!"

I may be wrong. But then I never heard anything at all about an upcoming Trek series until after the release of Prelude to Axenar. They even put Discovery in the exact same spot on the timeline.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The link to Peters is pure speculation and conspiracy theorizing, at least the way I see it. Let's be rational and take the points we can certainly connect: Placing DSC in the same timeframe as the KT movies was a questionable decision to begin with, never mind that I personally am not fond of prequels in general because writers are never willing to stick to what was established. ENT had some leeway because it took place quite a bit pre-TOS - however they absolutely couldn't even finish Season 1 without making it basically TNG promoting recognition over plausibility and ending on a "timey-wimey" note so we are back in the future anyway. DSC has to make up a whole lot to be able to tell completely unrelated stories but totally adheres to canon by saying "look, the Enterprise!". It's cringeworthy.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    The link to Peters is pure speculation and conspiracy theorizing, at least the way I see it. Let's be rational and take the points we can certainly connect: Placing DSC in the same timeframe as the KT movies was a questionable decision to begin with, never mind that I personally am not fond of prequels in general because writers are never willing to stick to what was established. ENT had some leeway because it took place quite a bit pre-TOS - however they absolutely couldn't even finish Season 1 without making it basically TNG promoting recognition over plausibility and ending on a "timey-wimey" note so we are back in the future anyway. DSC has to make up a whole lot to be able to tell completely unrelated stories but totally adheres to canon by saying "look, the Enterprise!". It's cringeworthy.

Discovery could easily give a lot of creativity to the writers by acknowledging that due to the massive amounts of time travel in Enterprise, Discovery doesn't exist in the same timeline as TOS. This simple adjustment would change Discovery from a prequel of TOS to a sequel of Enterprise
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Well one thing I will say. I am way more onboard with how the Klingons look now in season 2 compared to season 1. THEY HAVE HAIR! And got rid of a lot of the cheek prosthetics. Still reimagined, but far closer to what we know.

Check out Trekyards on YouTube for a better look.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    but they STILL likely have the xenomorph skulls that just flat-out don't work with their current spinal position...hopefully they'll shrink the skull a bit​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    cbrjwrr wrote: »
    qqqqii wrote: »
    Enterprise shoudn't have been a TOS prequel, either, but it's an imperfect Universe. ;)

Technically it wasn't - it was set post-First Contact.
    The events in Enterprise occurred prior to the events in TOS. First Contact has no bearing. Enterprise is still a prequel series to TOS.

And while we're loosely on the subject of English, here's the definition of 'prequel': https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/prequel
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Enterprise shoudn't have been a TOS prequel, either, but it's an imperfect Universe. ;)
    The events in Enterprise occurred prior to the events in TOS. First Contact has no bearing. Enterprise is still a prequel series to TOS.
    I think he meant that First Contact represented a change in the time line and that it may have effectively retconned TOS.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    The Star Trek Universe is ripe with opportunities.

Post First Contact:

The colonial era: Warp 2 Starships heading out into the unknown, followed by a fleet of colony ships bearing the hopes and dreams of mankind.

The colonial era: Exploring and settling Colony 1 and its stellar system. Whoops! A sublight colony ship launched before FC is on it way!

The golden age of pirates: These are the voyages of the UESF Stepan Razin. It's mission: to find those TRIBBLE who have been preying on colonies and colonial shipping and blow them to hell.

Post Enterprise:

The Romulan War: yeah, but not against super-tech remote-piloted ships. The real war that forced the various races of the Sol Sector to work together.

The Search For New Hope: Finding a colony world is hard, and terraforming is harder.

Is Life Everywhere?: To explore strange new worlds, seek out new plants, and new bacteria, and boldly delve into the concept of panspermia vs. independent genesis, one world and one danger at a time. These are the voyages of the USS Meriweather Lewis, an exploratory vessel on the fringes of known space, fighting pirates or running from hostile governments while attempting to determine if we are all related.

Post TOS Movies:

The Two Empires: Follow the doings of the Romulans and Klingons as they seek to forge an alliance against the threat of the ever-expanding Federation. Damn, do they grow fast!

Expand in the other direction: The Klingons and Roulans make expansion difficult in one direction, so let's go the other way. To the Cardassian Sector!

The Cardassian War: Yeah, the one Miles was in.

Post TNG Movies:

Explorers again: what lies beyond the Romulan Star Empire? Beyond the Klingon Empire? Beyond the Cardassian sphere of influence? How about the Gamma and Delta Quadrants? There's lot of fast ships, parked, I guess? Let's go places and do hings!

Diplomacy: Building the Super-Federation is hard, and a lot of people don' like it. Viva la Resistance!

The Diaspora: Earth? Oh, yeah, I read about that place in history. Wasn't it one of the early colonies or something? Explore the roots of mankind as mankind heads out to colonize other galaxies.

Now, those are just a handful of ideas I plucked out of the air. Any one of them could become the foundation of a series and I bet you could pluck a few dozen better than mine. The Trekverse is packed with potential. So, why do they keep coming back to the same stuff over and over?

My guess is corporate cowardice. Companies don't like to take risks because it costs them money. Entrepreneurs take risks because they have a dream. Until CBS sells or loses its license there will be no real innovation in the way they do business. They will continue to rob the existing Trekverse material for story lines and continue to craft their fare to the closest 'best selling' mode of storytelling that is currently popular. I'm actually surprised a Trek sitcom hasn't aired yet.

But beware: when an entrepreneur does come along, (s)he's going to take Trek in a direction you and I may not like, because it will be his dream, not yours.
    I think he meant that First Contact represented a change in the time line and that it may have effectively retconned TOS.

First Contact would have likely had a minor change in the timeline. I could easily see that the only change between before First Contact and after First Contact is the creation of Section 31. So no Section 31 in TOS and TNG, but Section 31 in DS9. Enterprise would cause serious changes to the timeline which would likely result in certain events in the other Star Trek series never happening and replaced by new events.
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User

I was actually saying 2 parallel Prime Timelines -TOS-TNG-DS9-VOY and ENT-DSC-prime component of KT- the Kelivin timeline post divergence and the Mirror universe. Think Parallels (TNG S7 E11) not retcons.

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User

I was actually saying 2 parallel Prime Timelines -TOS-TNG-DS9-VOY and ENT-DSC-prime component of KT- the Kelivin timeline post divergence and the Mirror universe. Think Parallels (TNG S7 E11) not retcons.
    So, how's it feel to be wrong?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    But we already had SPOCK! PIKE! ENTERPRISE! nostalgia with the new Star Trek movies. Discovery likely ruined any TOS nostalgia with their Klingons.
    ^^^
    Lol - ST:TMP already did that when they did the first major Klingon look redesign in 1979 - so ST: D's 40 years to late to affect that. ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    ^^^
    Lol - ST:TMP already did that when they did the first major Klingon look redesign in 1979 - so ST: D's 40 years to late to affect that. ;)

Except TMP Klingon redesign was due to new cosmetic techniques to more accurately represent how Klingons were always supposed to look. Discovery Klingons were purely for the sake of change rather than new cosmetic techniques. Into Darkness Klingons were an improvement on the Klingon look. There is nothing about the Discovery Klingons that make them look Klingon. If Discovery called them a completely different race, then one of the biggest complaints about Discovery wouldn't exist. Some people might complain that they look stupid, but that is extremely minor compared to the complete bastardization of a well-know Science Fiction alien race.
    ^^^

Except TMP Klingon redesign was due to new cosmetic techniques to more accurately represent how Klingons were always supposed to look. Discovery Klingons were purely for the sake of change rather than new cosmetic techniques. Into Darkness Klingons were an improvement on the Klingon look. There is nothing about the Discovery Klingons that make them look Klingon. If Discovery called them a completely different race, then one of the biggest complaints about Discovery wouldn't exist. Some people might complain that they look stupid, but that is extremely minor compared to the complete bastardization of a well-know Science Fiction alien race.

So much this. The "Well TMP changed them too!" argument is so annoying. TMP changed the look of the Klingons because they finally had the budget to make Klingons more than dudes in blackface and gold tanktops. The Klingon look remained pretty much consistent, with the occasional tweak and upgrade, for the next 30 years, 4 TV series and 13 movies.

And then Discovery came along and decided to turn them into lumpy play-doh monsters because...reasons.

edited October 2018
    ^^^

This, thank you. TMP changed the Klingon look because they finally had an actual budget and could make Klingons more than dudes in blackface and gold tanktops. For the next 30 years, 4 TV series and 13 movies the Klingon look remained pretty consistent, with the occasional tweak and improvement along the way as makeup and prosthetics got better.

Even JJTrek, which takes place in an alternate universe, has recognizable Klingons. And then Discovery, which insists it's part of the original 'prime' timeline, radically alters them into unrecognizable lumpy play-doh monsters because...reasons.

• khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    And when were we told that’s the way the Klingons always looked?
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    edited October 2018
    khan5000 wrote: »

You have to go pretty far down the page to get to it, it's a long article.
    It was Roddenberry's official response to questions about the head-lobsters in TMP - "They always looked like that, we just couldn't afford to show it."
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    It was Roddenberry's official response to questions about the head-lobsters in TMP - "They always looked like that, we just couldn't afford to show it."

Which was soft-retconned by 'Trials and Tribble-ations' and hard-retconned by the ENT Augment arc. On-screen canon trumps Word-of-Gene (by his own rules).
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    I was gonna bring up Trials and Tribulations.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
    I thought "Trials and Tribble-ations" had the best possible answer, and they should have just left it at that.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png