test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you buy faction "themes"? (see OP for explanation)

trekfangrrrl#6910 trekfangrrrl Member Posts: 111 Arc User
By faction "themes" I mean unique scan, beam effects, and various other sounds or visuals that are only available to a specific faction. For example, the TOS "faction" has the TOS tricorder scan, transporter effects, and various sounds when operating the UI. Of course, if you already have a t6 connie on a non TOS character, you aren't going to go buy another for a different character. But if you were able to buy the TOS(or any other) faction "theme" on a regular Starfleet character, would you be interested?

PS: yes, I'm sure this would be "a lot of work", just like everything else involved in making video games. The reason the devs do the work is to make money, hence the question of this poll =)
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Would you buy faction "themes"? (see OP for explanation) 55 votes

Yes I would buy
69%
coldnapalmduaths1sophlogimoalexraptorrhippiejonkurumimorishitamustrumridcully0jcswwbloodyrizlexusk19kodachikunoseaofsorrowspwstolemynamedanaleemainalynce1975captainkoltarthegrandnagus1markhawkmancolonelmarik 38 votes
No I would not buy
30%
talonxvshpokspsychoplattbaddmoonrizinelric071detheaterthay8472relicthieftmassxtrennanscrooge69leemwatsonwarpangelcarlosbezerrajade1280furyan#5289slifox#0768 17 votes

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Yes I would buy
    Hard to say because it would depend on the price..

But the idea has merit, so yes.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Yes I would buy
    I would love some things for sure...especially a Cardassian transporter effect to go with the new(ish) Cardassian ships.

Trouble is all of these effects are tied into what faction you are, it would take a lot of work to change all of that to work...probably more effort than that would net them a profit...so as much as I'd like it, I don't see it happening.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Yes I would buy
    long as they didnt over charge, hell yes
  • huachaos#5075 huachaos Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Yes I would buy
    I would for sure pay to be able to do this.
  • gurluasgurluas Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    Yes I would buy
    I have a Rommie flying a Fed ship, so it'd be nice to get the Fed effects, ye.
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Yes I would buy
    Yes I would definitely buy these options (for a reasonable price).

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Yes I would buy
    As long as they don't EA it and try to charge for each tiny little thing.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Yes I would buy
    I would definitely be interested in buying. Could be great for aliengens.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    No I would not buy
    Half of those options are already in the advanced UI settings.
    Yes I would buy
    > @jade1280 said:
    > Half of those options are already in the advanced UI settings.

Nothing the OP described (scan effect, transporter visuals, UI sounds) are in the settings we have available. Did you actually read the OP before voting?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    No I would not buy
    I would buy freely customizable transporter, warp-out, scan, etc effects. But if I'm going to be stuck with a premade "faction theme" anyway, it might as well be the one I get for free.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    No I would not buy
    First, all of those effects are hardcoded to the Faction, so separating that out and making it so that one could change those effects on their toon would take some work to make happen. Cryptic would need a compelling reason to do all of that work beyond just making a quick buck, because chances are it wouldn't sell well anyway despite player claims they'd pay for it (see: Galaxy interior).

IF Cryptic had some compelling reason to do it (that is, internally they decided to do it for their own reasons) and they undertook the work, then they would most likely offer the option for free anyway (see: UI color options).
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Yes I would buy
    because chances are it wouldn't sell well anyway despite player claims they'd pay for it (see: Galaxy interior).

Apples and oranges. Interiors have no real function, and aren't something you see regularly unless you intentionally decide to go see them (again, with no meaningful reason to be there). But the "faction theme" elements described in the OP are things you literally see every day. Neither you nor I have any idea how well they would sell since there is nothing comparable currently for sale.

As far as the difficulty involved, again this is an issue that none of us actually know anything about because we aren't on the team. You speculating about how hard it would be is equally meaningless as me speculating about how easy it would be. Unless a dev chimes in, the issue of difficulty is not a valid talking about either way since no one actually knows.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    No I would not buy
    because chances are it wouldn't sell well anyway despite player claims they'd pay for it (see: Galaxy interior).

Apples and oranges. Interiors have no real function, and aren't something you see regularly unless you intentionally decide to go see them (again, with no meaningful reason to be there). But the "faction theme" elements described in the OP are things you literally see every day. Neither you nor I have any idea how well they would sell since there is nothing comparable currently for sale.

As far as the difficulty involved, again this is an issue that none of us actually know anything about because we aren't on the team. You speculating about how hard it would be is equally meaningless as me speculating about how easy it would be. Unless a dev chimes in, the issue of difficulty is not a valid talking about either way since no one actually knows.

My point was that if Cryptic were going to do it, they'd do it for their own reasons, and chances are they wouldn't charge for it like when they gave us the choice to choose UI color themes. They wouldn't do it because a bunch forumites said they'd pay for it, because those claims didn't bear out with Galaxy interior sales. So, sales would not be the motivating factor here.

Also, I never said whether it would be an easy or difficult thing to do, just that it would take work and therefore time. Time which could be better spent on other aspects of the game.
    GrWzQke.png
    edited October 2018
    Yes I would buy
    My point was that if Cryptic were going to do it, they'd do it for their own reasons, and chances are they wouldn't charge for it like when they gave us the choice to choose UI color themes. They wouldn't do it because a bunch forumites said they'd pay for it, because those claims didn't bear out with Galaxy interior sales. So, sales would not be the motivating factor here.

I hear you, but we could both cherry pick examples of things the forums asked for that did or didn't sell well. We obviously know the whole "end game connie" request that's been around since launch, and while neither of us have any numbers we can probably agree they've made a killing from that. Again though, cherry picking examples to support one specific "side" of an argument isn't actually evidence of anything.
    Also, I never said whether it would be an easy or difficult thing to do, just that it would take work and therefore time. Time which could be better spent on other aspects of the game.

Yeah, no matter what someone asks for there will always be someone else who thinks time could be better spent elsewhere. One guy wants new content, the other guy wants them to fix bugs on existing content. Then the 3rd guy chimes in and reminds everyone that the guy who fixes bugs isn't the same guy as the guy who makes the missions. We've heard it all before, and no one is "right" or "wrong" because it's all just personal preferences.

Having said all that I'll just remind you that the actual question that was being asked wasn't whether you thought it would happen but whether you would buy it if you had the option. From your vote you apparently wouldn't, which is fine. We all spend our money on different types of things and there's nothing wrong with that.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    No I would not buy

I hear you, but we could both cherry pick examples of things the forums asked for that did or didn't sell well. We obviously know the whole "end game connie" request that's been around since launch, and while neither of us have any numbers we can probably agree they've made a killing from that. Again though, cherry picking examples to support one specific "side" of an argument isn't actually evidence of anything.

Yeah, no matter what someone asks for there will always be someone else who thinks time could be better spent elsewhere. One guy wants new content, the other guy wants them to fix bugs on existing content. Then the 3rd guy chimes in and reminds everyone that the guy who fixes bugs isn't the same guy as the guy who makes the missions. We've heard it all before, and no one is "right" or "wrong" because it's all just personal preferences.

Having said all that I'll just remind you that the actual question that was being asked wasn't whether you thought it would happen but whether you would buy it if you had the option. From your vote you apparently wouldn't, which is fine. We all spend our money on different types of things and there's nothing wrong with that.

Well, I guess, let me amend myself by saying I voted "no, I wouldn't buy it," because I honestly think that if it were to actually happen, it wouldn't be something that would need to be bought. It would just be an option added to the game, like the UI color options. Now, if it was something that they decided to put in the C-Store, then yes, I might buy it if I had a specific toon that I wanted to change those visuals on.
    GrWzQke.png
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    Yes I would buy
    Buy for real money, no, but Zen yeah.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Zen invariably costs someone real money.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Oh I know. Just pointing out that someone's real money bought the zen others (including me) buy with dilithium.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    Yes I would buy
    I would buy it, depending. if it came with fresh uniforms I'd be all over it throwing credit cards at the screen just so i could have a decent looking uniform for my Rommies.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    I would buy a well done expansion, like Blizz does. Expansion: Gamma quadrant where you get to explore, and as you discover things, it opens mini-arcs, the dilithium rich planet you find opens a conflict between planet A and Planet B, who are getting ready to fight over the planet. you have options: side with a or b, take if for your faction, negotiate a peace to share the resources.you can even have leveling zones. start at a base, say level 20 and you can level up in the new environment. and with every expansion, you end up facing off with the eventual boss mob
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    No I would not buy
    No thanks considering I have at least one character of all the factions (minus TRIBBLE).
  • duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    Yes I would buy
    Yes, i would buy.
    Both EVIL Romulan Tal Shiar and some Vulcan/Andorian starting experience.

Still waiting for Pakled!
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Honestly I don't see the point.

However I was wishing for a while to access the gorn species on the federation side.
  • danaleedanalee Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    Yes I would buy
    I would. I think it'd be terrific if the tailor included crew animations which would allow to select between various medical tricorders, science tricorders, beam up effects, warp effects, shield impact effects, etc. as a 'style costume' area.

First reaction to the question was no I wouldn't, then I was thinking of the possibilities and then was like heck yes.

Code wise would really be a bigger change than it seems, but with financial incentive it may be worth it for them.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yes I would buy

Well, I guess, let me amend myself by saying I voted "no, I wouldn't buy it," because I honestly think that if it were to actually happen, it wouldn't be something that would need to be bought. It would just be an option added to the game, like the UI color options. Now, if it was something that they decided to put in the C-Store, then yes, I might buy it if I had a specific toon that I wanted to change those visuals on.
    I think they've been working torwards this on the backend actually. Starting with AoY, all mini-factions use the mini-faction TP effect and NOT the TP effect of your boffs. With Romulans it's actually possible to get 3 simultaneously.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.