test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WHAT HAPPENED to Discovery phasers!???

So this seems trivial, but it's totally ruined the immersion for me, to the point where I get bothered every time I play.

The phaser and weapons effects in this game have NEVER been entirely screen accurate. Well the closest to screen accurate we've had are the TOS blue and red phasers. The standard orange federation phasers don't quite look like the show. (Although they did an amazing job with the TNG phaser rifle beam, even down to the little wave of nadeon energy that ripples off the target like a circle upon impact. Nice Season 1 and 2 TNG touch.)

The wrath of Khan/undiscovered pulse phasers were CLOSE but still not quite accurate to the movie era, as the pulses on screen still fired through space more like elongated bolts, whereas in game they are literally strobing beams.

The first totally screen accurate phaser effect we have gotten in this game were the Discovery ship phasers. I LOVED those phasers. They looked like bright elongated beams, almost like plasma needles zipping from emitter to target in a fraction of a second. The art department and dev team did such a great job, these became my favorite weapons in game.

Now with Age of Discovery they've been ruined!!! The discovery phasers NOW look like ugly globs and they move slowly through space.
And when the phaser misses it suddenly turns to an elongated beam extending in to nothingness. The one improvement they made is that Discovery phasers cause little explosions on the targets hull, which is screen accurate and beautiful. I really like that addition. But the way the discovery beams don't look like the show anymore ruins it for me.

I don't believe this was intentional (at least I Hope it wasn't) rather I believe something happened when adding the explosions to the phaser impacts caused a glitch in the code or a complexity which has interfered with the original discovery phaser graphics.

I'm truly hoping they fix this, and that it wasn't somehow intended. Discovery phaser beams should be very flashy/shiny, and needle like and they zip between emitter and target in a fraction of a second. They were perfect before this update. Please please fix this!

Comments

• lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    Agreed, they look far less screen accurate now. Move to slow and looks like im throwing jelly at my enemies.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    It was like using a star wars blaster.
  • captainperkinscaptainperkins Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    YES @lexusk19 & Avoozuul, I thought exactly the same things! JElly and the old Disc phasers has much more of a star wars blast effect.

But star wars plasma beams are shorter bolts. What I love about Discovery ship phasers on the show is they look like a beam, but the beam is cut off so it's half beam half bolt. They zip really fast (faster than star wars blasers I'd say) and have that elongated look.

I was so impressed with the game getting them so close to screen accurate. I am so disheartened with the Discovery phasers now I am even tempted to use TOS blue phaser beams instead. :( I Hope they fix this soon. Was hoping it would be fixed in todays update but I suspect this issue (supposing they even are aware of it) will take a bit of re-tooling.

You know, I gave the benefit of the doubt and still do that this is just a glitch/bug. But the more I think about it, I am wondering if whoever added the explosion effects to the new phasers also changed the phasers and in their mind they THINK they are accurate. I hope that's not the case. Whoever thinks the discovery phasers are acceptable in their new/current state is obviously not watching the show closely enough.

• garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    i like the animation better then vadwuur polaron smiler to kelvin phasers ... ,what immersion breaking is when we go inside our shuttles like in aoy ...
    Post edited by garaks31 on
    garaks31 wrote: »
    i like the animation better then vadwuur polaron smiler to kelvin pahsers ... ,what immersion breaking is when we go inside our shuttles like in aoy ...

LOL fair enough!!!!!
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    I have to agree. The disruptors looked much better to me last week.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Oh good, I thought they seemed different but I hadn't seen them except used by other players before now. They're kinda trash since the update.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    I still keep a set for my Discovery builds
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • wideningxgyrewideningxgyre Member Posts: 710 Arc User
      While they're not accurate for the show, I like them.

I was actually wondering how to keep using them on my disco alt as I level. I want to keep him in disco ships using those phasers.
      While they're not accurate for the show, I like them.

I was actually wondering how to keep using them on my disco alt as I level. I want to keep him in disco ships using those phasers.

Yes well they WERE accurate to the show in game less than two weeks ago. That's what the problem is.

Glad you like them, but if you watch the battle at the binary stars and see the discovery phasers in game from any time before this update, you would see what we all mean.

Since you don't know how to use them on your disco alt as you level, it suggests you didn't realize we had Discovery content from a previous lockbox much earlier this year. I have been flying a Crossfield and Walker class with accurate Discovery style phasers for most of 2018

They took my phasers from me :(:(:(
    • robertehroberteh Member Posts: 4 Arc User
      Please Please Please revert the animations back Arc. They were amazing before the latest update. I changed my build purely for these phasers visuals.
    • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
      yeah the hand phasers are really slow been using ground auto fire for them
    • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
      > @roberteh said:
      > Please Please Please revert the animations back Arc. They were amazing before the latest update. I changed my build purely for these phasers visuals.

Arc is a software, not the developer. That woukd bbe Cryptic.

I haven't seen the phasers since the update, but if they look like KT phasers or Vaadwaur Polaron I'm disappointed. Those move way too slow and look silly chasing after moving targets.
      lFC4bt2.gif
      ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
      "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
      "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
      "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
      @ambassadorkael#6946

Think I got your handle right lol.

Is this a known issue or WAI update??
      JtaDmwW.png
    • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
      Yeah, i notice that too, i loved those phasers, now they look dull, they used to me more bright too and fired faster.
      The forces of darkness are upon us!
    • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
      Given how closely they are working with CBS, maybe the phaser FX is being updated for Season 2 of Discovery?
      "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
    • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
      Given how closely they are working with CBS, maybe the phaser FX is being updated for Season 2 of Discovery?

That's possible. The beams look a lot more deliberate now, if that's the right word. A possible step closer to TOS phasers.

I do, however, prefer the older/faster effect.
    • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
      edited October 2018
      Don't really pay attention to minor details, but this change or bug was very noticeable.

I don't like it. This isn't the discovery phaser effect I dumped a ton of EC and Dil for to make epic.
      Y945Yzx.jpg
      Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
      · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
      «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
      ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
    • robertehroberteh Member Posts: 4 Arc User
      edited October 2018
      > @angrytarg said:
      > I haven't seen the phasers since the update, but if they look like KT phasers or Vaadwaur Polaron I'm disappointed. Those move way too slow and look silly chasing after moving targets.

They look and act more like the Kelvin timeline phases now..... Slower projectiles that track to the target
    • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
      This is deeply disappointing, I thought something felt different. I still like them, but not nearly as much.​​
      ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
      It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
      Thank you all for commenting and sharing your honest thoughts. It seems we mostly agree. Our Dev's are amazing they always listen to us (better than CBS does) and better than any other online game.

I am hoping they fix the phasers as the graphics were perfect before and the new ones DO slowly chase after the enemy and look ridiculous. Keep commenting so they see it!
    • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
      I recommend that you also post this in the bug section… it could be a bug, you know?
      The forces of darkness are upon us!
      gaevsman wrote: »
      I recommend that you also post this in the bug section… it could be a bug, you know?

Already done.
      Q9BWcdD.png
    • sleel43sleel43 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
      I like em. One of the few things with this update that I do.
    • lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
      Yeah i agree with sleel43....i love them. When the integrity linked emitters first came out i bought a couple dozen and stashed them in the bank...figured id get round go doing something with them...they all look lovely on my t1 to 4 walker class now. Im just trying to decide if im going to grab a t6 disco era boat....will see what others come out as i cant afford a t6 walker...lol
    • stoyozstoyoz Member Posts: 63 Arc User
      I also agree with the OP. Furthermore, the DSC klingon NPC disruptor effects are not screen accurate either.
    • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
      The game has a bad habit of having issues with screen accuracy outside the original assets, and not just with Discovery content.

I already mentioned a while ago that while the Kelvin Timeline weapons' visual FXs are great, the sounds don't match the movies', especially the photon torpedoes. But they were never changed.
      #TASforSTO
      Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
      Frankly I couldn't care less about whether they're faithful to the show or not, I just prefer them the way they were before.
      Q9BWcdD.png
    • danaleedanalee Member Posts: 73 Arc User
      I didn't get the luxury of seeing them before the change, but something I noticed is that it looks like the time to target is the same regardless of distance, so closer, they go slower and seem squished, and further they go faster and are more stretched. Seems weird to me. I half like them, half hate them. Sounds like the way they were before is exactly what I'd want.
    • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
      The game has a bad habit of having issues with screen accuracy outside the original assets, and not just with Discovery content.

I already mentioned a while ago that while the Kelvin Timeline weapons' visual FXs are great, the sounds don't match the movies', especially the photon torpedoes. But they were never changed.

I think your missing the point that the Discovery content WAS more or less screen accurate and has since been changed to be LESS screen accurate.
      "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
    This discussion has been closed.