test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Discovery Starter Pack!

Comments

• muzzballmuzzball Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    EDIT: We've updated a paragraph in the blog to make the rewards more clear. XP Boost and Inventory slots are bound to the first character who claims them. Tardigrade and Weapons are reclaimable. The ship is an account unlock.

I've never seen that ship in the show (since I stopped watching it), but it does look very nice, resembles the Miranda, so I like that.
    Thanks for clarifying. Since the pet and ship are account unlock, I may pick this up. The scaling ship mechanic will be nice to test.

Dude, the Walker class is litterally the first ship you see in the show: the USS Shenzhou NCC1227 (also, double check the registry in the screenie).
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    An interesting bundle, and one I might get, but there are several questions I have about this bundle.

1. Is the ship a one time only thing, or can all my alts claim this ship? While most of my alts are lvl 65 and wouldn't really fly the ship for end game content, getting the Admiralty card for it would help. And besides, maybe I just wanna fly around and DOff in the ship, it is rather nice looking after all.
    2. Does the ship come with gear (weapons, shields, engines and the like) that scale along with it, or are we going to have to buy new gear for every level? Not a big deal if it doesn't, simply curious.
    3. Is the pet an account unlock, or simply only for the character that buys the pack? I'd hate to buy the pack before I've made my AoD alt and then not have the pet for that character.
    4. Are the 12 Additional Inventory Slots per character or for all characters on the account? Again, I'd like to know ahead of time so the "correct" character would get the slots if it's a one time only thing.

Honestly, if the ship is not an account unlock, I won't bother buying the pack as that would be the thing with the biggest impact for me. If the 12 Additional Inventory Slots are not an account unlock, it is a big deal, but not a deal breaker. The pet, again, if it's not an account unlock I'd be a bit miffed, but not enough to not buy the pack. Now, if the slots and the pet are once per account, that would be a real pain because I wouldn't want the extra slots on my AoD character but I would want the pet.

Overall, I do think the pack is a good deal, but the finer points need to be explained a bit better. I like the idea of a scaling ship, it'll be interesting to see how well it works.

And while I'm typing my post up, Kael answers my questions. I'm always late to the party. :)
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,971 Community Moderator
    The Walker class was seen in the pilot episode as the USS Shenzhou, and was the first Federation ship to encounter the Sarco. Also one of the ships lost at the Battle of the Binary Stars.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Huh. So the hull & shields scale, but it has full T3 or T4 weapon slots/console slots/stations at all levels? That seems a bit unbalanced at lower levels... when I first heard scaling, I'd assumed it would scale through full Tier setups (T1 ship would have 2/1 weapons, ensign stations, etc).

Eh, whatever. :)

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    HOLY SHAZBOT! Yall actually used part of an idea I tossed out in 2014! :3 this is frikkin cool. Hope we see a lot more scaling ships and retroactively applied option for scaling ships!

my original idea for this:
    http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1171210/r-d-suggestion-new-school-starship-engineering
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Huh. So the hull & shields scale, but it has full T3 or T4 weapon slots/console slots/stations at all levels? That seems a bit unbalanced at lower levels... when I first heard scaling, I'd assumed it would scale through full Tier setups (T1 ship would have 2/1 weapons, ensign stations, etc).

Eh, whatever. :)

Well, the bridge stations aren't usable until you raise in rank anyway, so that's not really a problem I think.
    Weapon/consoles though, yeah, that seems a problem. I guess power creep isn't a problem for < lvl 50. :smiley:
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    I was going to hold off since the other blog drops very heavy hints we're going to see some other T6 DSC ships before long, plus I've already got a T6 Walker, but at that discount I'll pick this up for the reclaimable weapons and as a thank you for giving my USS Leonov a proper bridge :)

• dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    muzzball wrote: »
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    EDIT: We've updated a paragraph in the blog to make the rewards more clear. XP Boost and Inventory slots are bound to the first character who claims them. Tardigrade and Weapons are reclaimable. The ship is an account unlock.

I've never seen that ship in the show (since I stopped watching it), but it does look very nice, resembles the Miranda, so I like that.
    Thanks for clarifying. Since the pet and ship are account unlock, I may pick this up. The scaling ship mechanic will be nice to test.

Dude, the Walker class is litterally the first ship you see in the show: the USS Shenzhou NCC1227 (also, double check the registry in the screenie).

That made me laugh. Was thinking the same thing. And I only watched the first 'free' episode. :D
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    OK, not what I was expecting but not unwelcome.

A few obvious questions
    Q. Will there be variants of the scaling ships available for Klingon and Romulan captains?

If Cryptic ever decides to create new starting experiences for Klingons and Romulans like the TOS Starfleet and Discovery Starfleet, then we will see Klingon and Romulan versions. If Cryptic creates a new 'faction' that starts at level 1, then it would likely be a scaling ship for that new 'faction'. There is no point for Cryptic creating new scaling ships since there focus is always endgame ships. Of course, there is the possibility of changing the current Tier 1 C-Store ships so that they are scaling ships, but that would take quite a bit of work.
    sophlogimo wrote: »

Well, a neutronium console at Mk II isn't that much of a boost... not even four of them are, really.

And I doubt people are going to dump millions of ECs in starter gear to fully outfit a ship, only to outlevel said gear shortly after that.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    rattler2 wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »

Well, a neutronium console at Mk II isn't that much of a boost... not even four of them are, really.

And I doubt people are going to dump millions of ECs in starter gear to fully outfit a ship, only to outlevel said gear shortly after that.

never underestimate the human capacity for stupidity
    never underestimate the human capacity for stupidity

latest?cb=20171106210501
    Unfortunately... you're right. That is about as common as Hydrogen and TIE Fighter parts.
    I think this is a prototype of a mechanic we may see later on.
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    This sounds amazing! So looking forward to this in game.

Just one question: When will we be able to buy this??? Cryptic needs to take my money for this now!
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
    Coming soon! October 9th 2018! Mark your calendar.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Scaling ship...interesting. But having a t1-3 ship with the gearing slots of a t4 ship seems kinda powerful. Like you all don't wanna sell any other low tier ship powerful. Not complaining as a consumer as this is a super good deal for us...but I'm kinda surprised the bean counters let something like this that will hurt future sales considerably through. As much as I don't care for TRIBBLE content...well done on this. Very well done.

Easier to create and sell 1 Tier 1 to Tier 4 ship rather than create and sell 4 different low level ships.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Darn, this ship will go through episodes like hot knife through icecream.
    If I read correctly it will have 4/3 weapons setup straight from level 1 :o
    Normally at Tier 1 we got 2/1 setup, and on Tier 2 2/2, and so on...
    … Now this... will rock B)

Ok Cryptic - this is another "must have" for me.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    T4 max tier ship... so how does this work for Admiralty cards? At which tier would the card fall under, T1 to T4?

I guess this is so you dont need to make new ships at T2 to T4. Cause for T5 you have the free event ships etc.

Only thing is the inventory slots but it's only for the 1st character that claims it. 1500 zen for 12 inventory slots for 1 toon, i'd pass. 750 zen... I'll need to check to see how much 12 bank slots normally cost.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Scaling ships has potential for extending the lifespan of low level ships when the levelling pace is so fast it makes store options pointless.

Odd that they've not gone so far as to allow for the ship to scale up into t5 even if it didn't go so far as t5- U. There's still a pretty big void if players don't have access to an event ship or two. Although I suppose levelling pace does go stupidly fast once admiralty gets unlocked.
    tigeraries wrote: »
    T4 max tier ship... so how does this work for Admiralty cards? At which tier would the card fall under, T1 to T4?

Probably midrange. But I guess we'll find out.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Probably a t4 admiralty card because that's basically what it is.
  • nejdinenejdine Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    Hmm Still hoping for a 2000zen starter pack with a T6 ship. I was very happy for the Jem'Hadar starterpack. :smiley:
    I've not even seen anything from this show yet! Damn swedish television!
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »

I guess this is so you dont need to make new ships at T2 to T4. Cause for T5 you have the free event ships etc.

Only thing is the inventory slots but it's only for the 1st character that claims it. 1500 zen for 12 inventory slots for 1 toon, i'd pass. 750 zen... I'll need to check to see how much 12 bank slots normally cost.

Since this is called a Discovery Starter pack, the obvious intent is for a Discovery toon to use this. Discovery toons would not be maxed out right away unless someone goes and maxes them out right away.

Don't forget also that if people bought the elite starter pack, that means that Discovery toons get more inventory slots from that too. (I was one of those people!)

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    So one can have a 4/3 weapon layout out of the tutorial? That's going to simplify low level play considerably (not that it needed that).

It would be a real problem though if anyone played PvP at that tier, because the ship would be overpowered against regular Tier 2 to Tier 3 ships.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Not "Discovery toons", but "Discovery toon" - one per account only.
    But the ship and weapons are account unlock so for me it's still a win.
    Let's see: 12 inventory spaces cost 400 Zen (I think).
    Tier 1 ship cost 500, Tier 2 - 750, Tier 3 - 1000 and Tier 4 - 1500 Zen
    … and max sale I saw until now was 30% off.
    750 Zen is easy to make on exchange... so I'm getting the pack as soon as I can.

Edit:

mustrumridcully0 - I don't think it's possible to get a PvP match at that level (but I may be wrong there)
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    So one can have a 4/3 weapon layout out of the tutorial? That's going to simplify low level play considerably (not that it needed that).

It would be a real problem though if anyone played PvP at that tier, because the ship would be overpowered against regular Tier 2 to Tier 3 ships.

Nobody PvPs that low anymore, no access to OP cheese combos.
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Coming soon! October 9th 2018! Mark your calendar.

Just wondering if they would do some sort of pre-order given the low limited Zen price :-)

People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.