test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nova class: the Ship the Game Forgot

Comments

• reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 12,168 Arc User
    brian334 wrote: »
    But... I have a tier 5 Nova. Granted, it's the Mirror version, but it's available on the exchange, even.

Is the model's quality comparable to, say, a Defiant? Or is it the same quality it was back in 2012?

Not even CLOSE!
    pDHR7Ab.jpg
    Ujywf6A.jpg

3U3C0SJ.jpg

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 2,081 Arc User
    The USS Archer from Renegades kind of looks like a variation of a Nova class.

47153121_2450992104930645_5279507365136171008_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=22758655d0e300a9b6f2b4c28a95631d&oe=5CAA7B43
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 377 Arc User
    But... I have a tier 5 Nova. Granted, it's the Mirror version, but it's available on the exchange, even.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mirror_Universe_Science_Vessel_Retrofit
    I did not know this even existed; now I must have it!!!!!!!!

Still supporting a T6 version (or 3) and a Quality improvement. ;) Lookin' at you dear Devs!
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 1,514 Arc User
    My point was that there IS a tier 5 Nova, which is what the thread seemed to be asking for. I'll agree though, the textures are due for an overhaul. The last few ships have all looked amazing (though for some reason the names are all so tiny that they're illegible).
    Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,180 Arc User
    Nova Variants:

Scout Nova = Sci/Scort Hybrid (Cmdr Sci, Lt.Cmdr Tac, Lt.Cmdr Uni/Pilot, Lt Eng, Ens Sci)

Low detectability with a passive bonus to Mask Energy Signatures and bonus to engine speed and power make the Scout Nova an extremely nimble, and very fast ship. Her warp engines are modified to allow greater sustained speeds at warp, and her deflectors are rigged to focus her scanners, allowing increased stealth detection at extreme ranges.

Frigate Nova = Sci/Cruiser Hybrid (Cmdr Sci, Lt.Cmdr Eng, Lt.Cmdr Uni/Miracle Worker, Lt Eng, Ens Sci)

Increased hull integrity with a passive bonus to Damage Resistance allow the Frigate Nova to take the fight to the enemy and survive. The Frigate Nova can mount Dual Heavy Cannons.

Exploration Nova = Pure Science Vessel (Cmdr Sci, Lt.Cmdr Sci, Lt Uni/Intel, Lt Eng, Lt Sci)

Hardened shields and a passive resistance to Shield Disables makes the Exploration Nova a tough nut to crack. With three dedicated Science BOff seats and a potential fourth in the Uni/Intel seat, there is no vessel anywhere capable of performing the science hijinks of the Exploration Nova.

Consoles:
    (Tac) Shield Frequency Analyzer = passive 25% bleedthrough of enemy shields, with bonus shield hardness clicky power.
    (Eng) Power Absorption Armor = passive 10% Energy Damage Resistance, damage increases subsystem power levels.
    (Sci) Tachyon Field Emitter = shutdown of all cloaks within 5km when active, with a 1:4 cooldown cycle. Bonus Shield Drain.
    Fits on DS9's runabout pads :D
    xTACb4g.jpg
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

To be fair, @mustrumridcully0 had the right idea where special console is concerned. Something related to neucleogenics as per the modifications that the Equinox had (although a ARTIFICAL source as oposed to Alien murder!)
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

As ST:D clearly shows, the exploitation of sentient beings for convenience of Starfleet is perfectly acceptable, but I agree the nucleogenic device is a good one.

And yeah, I was hoping anti-cloaking would be fixed one day. (sigh) My old T5 Luna did it well back in the day, but NPCs don't use cloaks effectively, and FvK PvP died long ago, even when FvF was still a thing.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 6,591 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    xTACb4g.jpg

Needs Voyager style landing struts.
    The Nova design was once in the race for the Defiant. Would be interesting to see DS9 spawn Nova's as defense when under attack.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited December 2018
    questerius wrote: »
    xTACb4g.jpg

Needs Voyager style landing struts.
    The Nova design was once in the race for the Defiant. Would be interesting to see DS9 spawn Nova's as defense when under attack.

So far as I am concerned it DOES have landing struts. Rick Sternbach envisioned the Equinox of having landing capabilities akin to the Intrepid-class and said (quote) "The three door-like things are retracted landing feet, yep" (interview on Drexfiles, 2009).
    web.archive.org/web/20130126223422/http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/05/12/rick-sternbachs-equinox

And to be honest, since it's smaller than an Intrepid class, and considering it's role, it makes perfect sense for the Nova class to have landing capabilities.
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,136 Arc User
    As ST:D clearly shows, the exploitation of sentient beings for convenience of Starfleet is perfectly acceptable
    I would say it makes it perfectly clear that's is highly debatable. Because it is highly debated, and they stop doing it before anyone can really look closely at what they were doing.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    As ST:D clearly shows, the exploitation of sentient beings for convenience of Starfleet is perfectly acceptable
    I would say it makes it perfectly clear that's is highly debatable. Because it is highly debated, and they stop doing it before anyone can really look closely at what they were doing.

I need to learn to use sarcasm tags. My point was that it was something any first year cadet would have questioned before they started doing it!

Ransom's justification was just that. In his case, I credit it to trauma-induced insanity. But we're talking about the Federation, where the only meats typically consumed are replicated, and at that most humans are vegetarians of one kind or another anyway.

So, aside from concepts stolen from video games and used as plot devices which have zero place in Trek, the idea of a nucleogenic booster to engines was an interesting one, and using that as the basis for the Nu-Nova's console and trait is equally interesting. Put me down for a 'yes' vote on that. I'm also open to other ideas.
  • azrael605azrael605 Member Posts: 8,949 Arc User
    > @brian334 said:
    > As ST:D clearly shows, the exploitation of sentient beings for convenience of Starfleet is perfectly acceptable, but I agree the nucleogenic device is a good one.
    >
    > And yeah, I was hoping anti-cloaking would be fixed one day. (sigh) My old T5 Luna did it well back in the day, but NPCs don't use cloaks effectively, and FvK PvP died long ago, even when FvF was still a thing.

What exactly on DSC are you talking about? The only "exploitation of sentient beings by members of Starfleet" that I saw was in the Mirror U, and thus not the real Starfleet.
    #TASinSTO
    #IStandWithCBS
    #Discoveryrocks

azrael605 wrote: »
    > @brian334 said:
    > As ST:D clearly shows, the exploitation of sentient beings for convenience of Starfleet is perfectly acceptable, but I agree the nucleogenic device is a good one.
    >
    > And yeah, I was hoping anti-cloaking would be fixed one day. (sigh) My old T5 Luna did it well back in the day, but NPCs don't use cloaks effectively, and FvK PvP died long ago, even when FvF was still a thing.

What exactly on DSC are you talking about? The only "exploitation of sentient beings by members of Starfleet" that I saw was in the Mirror U, and thus not the real Starfleet.

Tardigrades.
    4073703.jpg
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • azrael605azrael605 Member Posts: 8,949 Arc User
    Lorca again, Mirror.
    #TASinSTO
    #IStandWithCBS
    #Discoveryrocks

edited December 2018
    avoozuul wrote: »

47153121_2450992104930645_5279507365136171008_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ht=scontent-syd2-1.xx&oh=22758655d0e300a9b6f2b4c28a95631d&oe=5CAA7B43

Certainly does from some angles, bottom left in particular!
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

To me it looks more like a kit bash from various ships.
    Anyway, the Nova was a temporary from Voyager. Does anyone know if it had Bioneural Circuitry?

Anyone think it would have been interesting if Equinox had come across the cardassian missile and had managed to salvage/incorporate its systems?

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Dreadnought_(episode)

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.

To me it looks more like a kit bash from various ships.
    Anyway, the Nova was a temporary from Voyager. Does anyone know if it had Bioneural Circuitry?

Anyone think it would have been interesting if Equinox had come across the cardassian missile and had managed to salvage/incorporate its systems?

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Dreadnought_(episode)

Pretty sure it was established in 'Caretaker' that the Intrepid class was the first to receive bio-neural circuitry, although not a stretch to beleive that the the Nova class received it later (such as when members of the class given the Rhode Island refit configuration).

Interesting point regarding the Dreadnought missile; one point that springs to mind is that it's difficult to know whether or not the Equinox should have encountered the missile before Voyager as we don't really know exactly where the missle headed after it was deposited in the Delta quadrant. Furthermore it seems clear that Equinox and Voyager didn't follow the same path from their starting point (as Voyager never encountered the Krowtonan Guard).
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

It always seemed to me that the Nova wasn't built for Exploration so much as she was built for Investigation. That is, a dedicated explorer type vessel would go out on five year missions and whatnot and identify things that should be looked into. Then a Nova type would be dispatched to do in-depth analysis of the whatever it was.

Intrepid, and to an extent Luna, were a compromise between the explorers and the investigators, usually capable of both, but generally too small for one and too large for the other role. Explorers need to be big and heavily armed because guess what? Space is dangerous and supply depots are far behind you. But with a team of Intrepids, Lunas, and Novas running logistis and being detailed to do in-depth studies, an exploration fleet could map out large regions without having to return to base every six months.

Just my head-canon, but even the Jack-of-all-trades Galaxy class couldn't do everything well.
    edited December 2018
    It always seemed to me that the Nova wasn't built for Exploration so much as she was built for Investigation. That is, a dedicated explorer type vessel would go out on five year missions and whatnot and identify things that should be looked into. Then a Nova type would be dispatched to do in-depth analysis of the whatever it was.

Intrepid, and to an extent Luna, were a compromise between the explorers and the investigators, usually capable of both, but generally too small for one and too large for the other role. Explorers need to be big and heavily armed because guess what? Space is dangerous and supply depots are far behind you. But with a team of Intrepids, Lunas, and Novas running logistis and being detailed to do in-depth studies, an exploration fleet could map out large regions without having to return to base every six months.

Just my head-canon, but even the Jack-of-all-trades Galaxy class couldn't do everything well.

I'd agree where the original configuration (i.e USS Equinox) Nova class is concerned.

However, in 'Endgame' Captain Harry Kim stated that his ship, the USS Rhode Island (a refit Nova class), undertook a four-year exploration mission from 2400 - 2404.

As for being "big and heavily armed"....
    aqb7ucw.jpg
    Lower two pics - USS Rhode Island vs Two Klingon Negh'Var warships.
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

I'd agree where the original configuration (i.e USS Equinox) Nova class is concerned.

However, in 'Endgame' Captain Harry Kim stated that his ship, the USS Rhode Island (a refit Nova class), undertook a four-year exploration mission from 2400 - 2404.

aqb7ucw.jpg

And there was absolutely no plot armor whatsoever involved in that..
    I think that most proposals for a T6 Nova focus too strongly on the Equinox.

Harry Kim was the Captain of a Nova refit so why not incorporate some of Harry Kim's strange adventures:
    - Quantum duplicate? http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Subspace_divergence_field
    - Borg Inspired Weapons, Unimatrix Shielding or advanced sensors based on Astrometrics lab
    - Cloaking technology http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Nightingale_(episode)
    - Transported Warhead (I know this is an Intel ability already, but it could also be an interesting console)

• angarus1angarus1 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    It's definitely way past time for a T6 Nova. ;)
    This Thread is voicing the Need for a T6 Nova. Not T5, T5-bloody-A, -B, -C, or TRIBBLE-U.
    Proper T6, full T6. And Quality Improvement.
    Reasonably accessible to all that want it. Not the hoops to jump through as we must to get the Fleet T5U version.
    Once I do finally get my Fleets' assets levelled up enough to Unlock Access to the T5u Nova, there is still the matter of the cost in Fleet Credits (200k) and Fleet Modules. I have yet to determine which is worse; the grind wall part or the money wall part. Probably the grind wall...
    IF I can get enough of the right Admiralty missions going to rebuild my EC (when I returned to STO in jan 2017 I blew my alts' savings on new weapons), I will likely grab as many of the Mirror Universe t5 Novas as I can get.
    4073703.jpg

• dragonmalice12dragonmalice12 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited December 2018
    Out of 19 toons on two accounts, I have ONE science toon. She's in a tier 5U fleet Nova, and she will remain with that ship until I can get a T6 Nova!

I love the idea of pilot seating, but definitely would like to see a Lt. Cmdr. to use for engineering.

As for the Intrepid, I'll never accept it as a science ship. It was introduced on the show as a tactical ship, and all of the science focuses they developed were rigged. Cryptic just wanted to exploit the model without competing with the Defiant. Technobabble is a Star Trek go to, and there was just as much in TNG as Voyage - don't see a science Galaxy...
    Out of 19 toons on two accounts, I have ONE science toon. She's in a tier 5U fleet Nova, and she will remain with that ship until I can get a T6 Nova!

I love the idea of pilot seating, but definitely would like to see a Lt. Cmdr. to use for engineering.

As for the Intrepid, I'll never accept it as a science ship. It was introduced on the show as a tactical ship, and all of the science focuses they developed were rigged. Cryptic just wanted to exploit the model without competing with the Defiant. Technobabble is a Star Trek go to, and there was just as much in TNG as Voyage - don't see a science Galaxy...

There is no mirror Intrepid available for players yet so..

As for switching of tactical/science/engineering, as i recall the Nebula was originally intended as a cruiser but after player feedback it was changed into a science vessel.

aqb7ucw.jpg

Harry Kim was the Captain of a Nova refit so why not incorporate some of Harry Kim's strange adventures:
    - Quantum duplicate? http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Subspace_divergence_field
    - Borg Inspired Weapons, Unimatrix Shielding or advanced sensors based on Astrometrics lab
    - Transported Warhead (I know this is an Intel ability already, but it could also be an interesting console)

To use something of Harry Kim's personal history instead of the Equinox is a very interesting idea.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited December 2018

aqb7ucw.jpg

A new version of Tetryon-Plasma Impulse Engines for Starships, would be neat!
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Tetryon-Plasma_Impulse_Engines
    As would a Yellowstone-class Runabout Combat Pet! (Ship ability, not a Console nor a Hangar)
    4073703.jpg

• nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User

48356679_10205219143716264_509215986948243456_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=612c4c0e2e316cb09dcae24173a44932&oe=5C977A4F

I think this fan made design is more like a nova.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok

48356679_10205219143716264_509215986948243456_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=612c4c0e2e316cb09dcae24173a44932&oe=5C977A4F

I think this fan made design is more like a nova.

Not a fan of the nacelle shape, but that is the beauty of STO's kitbashing, I could just use one of the nacelles I like instead!
    Otherwise,it is has some of the Pathfinder appeal, with the "low-hanging" nacelles. The deflector reminds me a bit of the Luna deflector, except it actually looks good. (Not a fan of the Luna) Pretty nice, may the Cryptic artists get inspired.