test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nova class: the T5 Ship the Game Forgot

reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 11,951 Arc User
Sorry to be the one to start another thread on this considering I already did so in:
November 2014: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1172899/nova-class-great-upgrade-candidate/p1

March 2015:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1181939/nova-class-another-great-t6-candidate/p1

August 2016:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1220004/nova-class-another-great-t6-candidate/p1

October 2017:
https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1234908/t6-nova-scout-ship

However, since there is STILL no T6 Nova/Rhode Island in sight I guess it’s about time for my perennial thread on the subject. However, what might be interesting to discuss is why, despite myself and others showing a continued desire to see a T6 Nova class, it hasn’t happened.

Particularly interesting is this poll that was run last October (2017):
https://mobile.twitter.com/BorticusCryptic/status/921547628835323904

Or, if you don't want to click the link:
Which Ship do you most want to buy/fly?

T6 Vor'cha
28%

T6 Nova
31%

T6 Oberth
13%

T6 Ambassador
29%
(and yes, I’m aware that it had a ‘no promises’ disclaimer)

Despite having won that poll, the Devs combined the two next highest votes and made a two-pack instead (the very recent Support Cruiser pack). Which worked out VERY well for fans of the Ambassador and Vor’Cha - and I'll concede those are more popular ships. Doesn't change the fact that that poll question was "which SHIP (singular) do you most want to buy/fly".

‘Teases’ over the years haven’t helped matters either. Who can forget the Rhode Island Admiralty card which many thought was indicative of a T6 Nova in the works? Or Cryptic having Garrett Wang voice Harry Kim, the Captain of the USS Rhode Island, in-game? Neither of these amounted to anything even though it would have made a LOT of sense.

I’ve since come to wonder whether this is deliberate – whether there is some reason the Devs have neglected, even possibly avoided, the Nova class. The model is woefully inaccurate and horribly outdated by the game’s current standards, yet it has been ignored time and time again. And with Discovery content being Cryptic’s new priority I can’t see the Nova class receiving any attention this year either, which is a pity since they managed to squeeze out the New Orleans – a ship that, in canon, was only ever seen (VERY briefly) as blurry wreckage in the aftermath of Wolf-359 (and don’t get me wrong here, I love the N.O in-game – I simply don’t think it should have gotten attention before the Nova).

It sounds vaguely paranoid, I know, but I could be forgiven for thinking that the Devs just don’t like the Nova class. It’s been one hell of a long wait and I’m wondering if/when it’ll ever end. Will I be posting this thread again this time next year?

3U3C0SJ.jpg

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 6,676 Arc User
    Keep making threads until they listen! :smile:
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.

ncaStLJ.jpg
  • coldnapalmcoldnapalm Member Posts: 6,784 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    It sounds vaguely paranoid, I know, but I could be forgiven for thinking that the Devs just don’t like the Nova class. It’s been one hell of a long wait and I’m wondering if/when it’ll ever end. Will I be posting this thread again this time next year?

Probably.
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 11,951 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Probably.

Yeah - I'd say more likely than not.
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

• lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,367 Arc User
    Yeah you got my vote on this as well.
    Honestly boggles the mind that stuff like those wonky looking MW ships can be made and put in game or the New Orleans class that was shown for all of a few seconds as a smashed up wreck, and yet they will not add this little ship!

It was a hero ship in the DR expansion, piloted by a dammed voice acted character from the original canon shows.
    It still shows up in multiple missions and even queues (Korfez) so is still very much relevant to the game.
    It's actually seen in at least 2 different episodes as both its Nova and Rhode Island variants.

Honestly, there's never been a better candidate for a canon ship to get the T6 treatment. Right now it looks like you just don't like the ship and are letting personal dislike of the thing get in the way of game design.
    Prove us all wrong.....
    sTN5D7Q.png
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 6,487 Arc User
    I'd be all over a T6 Nova.
    Most likely the issue is that the ship itself it not as high profile as the others mentioned and the developers are uncertain what niche it should fill.

They let the opportunity pass by with Harry Kim and the Delta Quadrant and it did not fit in with the DS9/Gamma Quadrant/Discovery stories.

Heck, for all we know the developers are planning a T6 Nova to find the wreckage of the mirror Universe Discovery which was thought to be destroyed... <facepalm>

For now, +1 for T6 Nova.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • imperatorpaveliimperatorpaveli Member Posts: 344 Arc User
    I love the way the nova looks myself. +1 for T6 nova from me.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 673 Arc User
    The Nova is the Harry Kim of the Prime Universe so there's "NO CHANCE" of seeing it promoted to T6 status unless its a different future timeline :)

so release for October the 3rd then :wink:
    maR4zDV.jpg

Working in Customer Services is a lot like a Michael Bay or J J Abrams film. The story is all over the place, its contradicts its own continuity, it can be hours of mindless entertainment or boring subplot, with lots of noise, explosions and action, and is something you don't fancy viewing for a 2nd time 🤣🙉🤭
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 3,429 Arc User
    I'll put my vote in for this too, as I'd love to see a T6 Nova come into the game.

C'mon devs, The numbers speak for themselves!
    Now a LTS and loving it.

Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.

xp8s7wd.jpg
  • benselassem#4731 benselassem Member Posts: 110 Arc User

^^This.

I love the Nova myself, it's the ship that reconciled me with post-TNG ship designs. If they ever make one, it's an instant-buy.
    pmuvj73Aj
    Zone Chat and the exchange are the only PvP matches left in this game
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 4,715 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I just wanted to add my thumbs up for the request of the OP.

Would also like to point out that while we already have plenty of good ship traits for energy weapons the other areas still feel a bit neglected. EPG and Torps come to mind here. Worked nicely already for the Ambassador release and its superb trait for Tanks.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 1,770 Arc User
    A Rhode Island variant of the Nova is my #1 ship fed side I'm looking forward to.

Warbirds have been put on hold till next year, and even then, I can see them showing up more rarely or outside the C-Store. Risa lost its day/night cycle - along with most dynamic scenery everywhere - to make the overall game look better. Disco ships are ready and incoming.

A Nova/Rhode Island remodeling into a T6 should not be that much effort considering the ship is already in game, and it's a Fed faction so the biggest market. Give it a good trait, and/or unique secondary deflector, ship-universal console, and despite 'science not selling well' it will.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 11,948 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Are we there yet?

In the mean time, for those that can dream:

The Pulsar Project

The Nova Class has seen several variations and a major refit with the Rhode Island Refit, however, even that refit is now a decades old. The orginal refit intervals for the ship would have lead to a major update 3 years ago. However, this did not happen.

The reasons for this are both political and strategical.

Backgrond
    The 2nd refit of the Nova class was originally titled "Project Equinox", in honor of the ship that was lost in the Delta Quadrant.
    As the Nova's EPS and warp nacelle design had proven very compatible with it, the project was also combined with research into artificial nucleogenic energy storage.

Political Stop of the Project
    However, 2 years into the project, several logbooks of the U.S.S. Voyager and the U.S.S. Equinox were declassified and became available to the public, and many people though that basing a project and technology on a ship whose crew had acted in such unethical manner was inappropriate. The nucleogenic energy storage was shelved, and the project name for the refit was retracted. However, unknown to Starfleet at the time, the research results had been stolen by Klingon Intelligence.

A New Direction
    Starfleet Engineering returned back to the drawing board for the Nova Retrofit, under a new working title, "Supernova". The idea was to build the ship toward a Scout Ship role that could operate near the Federation borders to conduct short range exploration and reconnaissance.

Strategic Stop of the Project
    When the Iconian War started, Starfleet quickly had to realize that scout ships were not as useful as in more conventional battles, as Iconian ships could appear anywhere at any time, without needing to approach Federation borders. The project was halted, with most of the engineers and researchers focused on cracking Iconian Technology or working on the Odyssey and Intrepid Class project.
    After the Iconian War, Starfleet was focused on recovering its losses and combining repairs with refits of ships that had seen the most action in the war.

Continuation of the Project
    During the Tzenkethi conflict Starfleet however saw a strong need for a modern scout ship, and the "Supernova" project was continued, with a new title: "Pulsar".
    And now, the project is completed, and the U.S.S. Pulsar is going to start its maiden voyage soon.

Klingon Research
    The Klingons continued research at artificial nucleogenic technology during the Federation/Klingon war, and they were able to "crack" the technology. They produced an artificial nucleogenic biocell that could store considerably amounts of energy, and an injector assembly that would be compatible with most starships.
    As part of the Alliance technology sharing, this new device also became part of the Pulsar Class's default specification, while the Klingons included the technology in their Hegh'Ta retrofit.

Statistics - Pulsar Scout Ship
    • Hull Modifier: 0.9 (0.95 Fleet)
    • Shield Modifier: 1.3 (1.43 Fleet)
    • Turn Rate: 15
    • Impulse Modifier: 0.2
    • Inertial Rating: 60
    • Bonus Power: +10 Engine Power, +10 Auxiliary Power
    • Secondary Deflector
    • Weapon Slots: 3 Front, 3 Aft
    • Device Slots: 3
    • Consoles: 4 Tactical, 2 Engineering, 4(+1 Fleet Science
    • Bridge Officer Seats: Commander Science, Lt.Cmdr Tactical. Lt. Universal|Pilot, Lt.Universal|Intel, Lt.Engineering
    • Subsystem Targeting
    • Sensor Analysis
    • Raider Flanking
    • Starship Mastery: Precise Weapon Systems, Enhanced Particle Generators, Enhanced Weapon Banks, Enhanced Restorative Circuitry, Holographic Decoy
      • Holographic Decoy - Starship Mastery Trait
        When activating Mask Energy Signature, Intel Team or any type of Cloak, you create a holographic decoy that draws aggro for 15 seconds. You can also activate Mask Energy Signature while under fire. This effect can occur only once every 60 seconds.
    • Universal Console: Nucleogenic Biocell
      • Passive: +10 % Sector Speed and Impulse Speed, +3 Engine Power
      • Active (Nucleogenic Biocell Infusion): You gain +20 to all Power Levels and Max Power Levels for 15 seconds and restore any disabled subsystem. Cooldown: 90 seconds.
      • Synergy (with Photonic Displaced Console):
        • 2 Piece Bonus: Lower both consoles cooldown by 15 seconds, and +20 Exotic Particle Generators

Statistics - Hegh'Ta Bird of Prey T6
    • Hull Modifier: 0.8 (0.88 Fleet)
    • Shield Modifier: 0.9 (0.95 Fleet)
    • Turn Rate: 21
    • Bonus Power: +15 Weapon Power, +5 Engine Power
    • Weapon Slots: 4 Front, 2 Aft
    • Can Equip Dual Cannons
    • Device Slots: 2
    • Consoles: 4 Tactical (+1 Fleet), 3 Engineering, 3 Science
    • Bridge Officer Seats: Commander Universal, Lt.Cmdr Universal. Lt. Universal|Pilot, Lt.Universal|Intel, Ensign Universal
    • Raider Flanking
    • Battle Cloak
    • Starship Mastery: Precise Weapon Systems, Tactical Maneuvering, Enhanced Weapon Banks, Enhanced Weapon Banks, Holographic Decoy
        When activating Mask Energy Signature, Intel Team or any type of Cloak, you create a holographic decoy that draws aggro for 15 seconds. You can also activate Mask Energy Signature while under fire. This effect can occur only once every 60 seconds.
      • Active (Nucleogenic Biocell Infusion): You gain +20 to all Power Levels and Max Power Levels for 15 seconds and restore any disabled subsystem. Cooldown: 90 seconds.
        • 2 Piece Bonus: Lower both consoles cooldown by 15 seconds, and +20 Exotic Particle Generators

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    Are we there yet?

The Pulsar Project

The Nova Class has seen several variations and a major refit with the Rhode Island Refit, however, even that refit is now a decades old. The orginal refit intervals for the ship would have lead to a major update 3 years ago. However, this did not happen.

Backgrond
    The 2nd refit of the Nova class was originally titled "Project Equinox", in honor of the ship that was lost in the Delta Quadrant.
    As the Nova's EPS and warp nacelle design had proven very compatible with it, the project was also combined with research into artificial nucleogenic energy storage.

However, 2 years into the project, several logbooks of the U.S.S. Voyager and the U.S.S. Equinox were declassified and became available to the public, and many people though that basing a project and technology on a ship whose crew had acted in such unethical manner was inappropriate. The nucleogenic energy storage was shelved, and the project name for the refit was retracted. However, unknown to Starfleet at the time, the research results had been stolen by Klingon Intelligence.

A New Direction
    Starfleet Engineering returned back to the drawing board for the Nova Retrofit, under a new working title, "Supernova". The idea was to build the ship toward a Scout Ship role that could operate near the Federation borders to conduct short range exploration and reconnaissance.

When the Iconian War started, Starfleet quickly had to realize that scout ships were not as useful as in more conventional battles, as Iconian ships could appear anywhere at any time, without needing to approach Federation borders. The project was halted, with most of the engineers and researchers focused on cracking Iconian Technology or working on the Odyssey and Intrepid Class project.
    After the Iconian War, Starfleet was focused on recovering its losses and combining repairs with refits of ships that had seen the most action in the war.

During the Tzenkethi conflict Starfleet however saw a strong need for a modern scout ship, and the "Supernova" project was continued, with a new title: "Pulsar".
    And now, the project is completed, and the U.S.S. Pulsar is going to start its maiden voyage soon.

Klingon Research
    The Klingons continued research at artificial nucleogenic technology during the Federation/Klingon war, and they were able to "crack" the technology. They produced an artificial nucleogenic biocell that could store considerably amounts of energy, and an injector assembly that would be compatible with most starships.
    As part of the Alliance technology sharing, this new device also became part of the Pulsar Class's default specification, while the Klingons included the technology in their Hegh'Ta retrofit.

• Secondary Deflector
    • Bridge Officer Seats: Commander Science, Lt.Cmdr Tactical. Lt. Universal|Pilot, Lt.Universal|Intel, Lt.Engineering
    • Subsystem Targeting
    • Sensor Analysis
    • Raider Flanking
    • Starship Mastery: Precise Weapon Systems, Enhanced Particle Generators, Enhanced Weapon Banks, Enhanced Restorative Circuitry, Holographic Decoy

• Can Equip Dual Cannons
    • Bridge Officer Seats: Commander Universal, Lt.Cmdr Universal. Lt. Universal|Pilot, Lt.Universal|Intel, Ensign Universal
    • Raider Flanking
    • Battle Cloak
    • Starship Mastery: Precise Weapon Systems, Tactical Maneuvering, Enhanced Weapon Banks, Enhanced Weapon Banks, Holographic Decoy

More or less the Enhanced Induction Coils that already come on the T1 BoP from the zen store? You...could also by looking at what you posted, possibly come up w/ a spot for a Ha'feh upgrade to T6, or the Ha'nom. Give the Rommy players a little nibble on the bone.
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,698 Arc User
    ^ That's a good idea.

I am moderately surprised the T6 Vorcha came before the T6 Nova.

Are we there yet?

The Pulsar Project

Backgrond

A New Direction

Klingon Research

• Secondary Deflector
    • Subsystem Targeting
    • Sensor Analysis
    • Raider Flanking

• Can Equip Dual Cannons
    • Raider Flanking
    • Battle Cloak

Oh wow - Awesome post! Seriously - fantastic on all counts!
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

edited September 2018
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    More or less the Enhanced Induction Coils that already come on the T1 BoP from the zen store?
    Yeah, I came up with the idea, looked up other consoles to come up with good wording, and then found that and realized it wasn't that novel. Probably not my best work.
    You...could also by looking at what you posted, possibly come up w/ a spot for a Ha'feh upgrade to T6, or the Ha'nom. Give the Rommy players a little nibble on the bone.
    Interesting idea. Turning the Ha'nom in a Scout Vessel could be interesting. Or maybe just keep it as Science Vessel? Cmdr Science, Lt.Cmdr Universal, Lt.Engineer|Pilot, Lt.Tactical|Intel, Lt.Universal perhaps? The two design ideas are: Give it two different spec slots (uncommon for C-Store ships). The standard Tier 6 setup is either 2 Lt.Cmdrs, 1 Lt and one Ensign, or 1 Lt.Cmdr and 3 Lts, and I think Dual Lt.cmdr is preferable usually. So something to compensate can be to give more spec options.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the problem the devs have is balancing the Nova against the Intrepid without alienating either group of fans.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    Sadly, the Vorkang/Vor'ral duo didn't get a console set bonus put in, and the Vor'ral has issues applying the Type 4 hull material(the black, red, yellow for KDF T6 zen store ships) as well. :(
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    I am all for a T6 Nova. I love that little ship.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the problem the devs have is balancing the Nova against the Intrepid without alienating either group of fans.

I don't really think that this is a major concern for Cryptic.

What's going to alienate people even more is not having a T6 Nova at all.
  • patrickngopatrickngo Member Posts: 9,313 Arc User
    My worthless suggestion is to lay out your 'ideal' stat block for it, based on the version you've got, then defend it against all comers.

and don't lay off, start pointing out the appearances in canon, the relative value of the design. The T6 Vor'cha (Vorral or whateve you want to call it) came down within a thumbnails' edge of the stat block I was putting out to anyone who bothered to read the threads.

which came as a SIGNIFICANT surprise to me, I must say. a pleasant surprise, but significant.

not so much 'nagging' as 'promote the idea' constantly, talk up the virtues, give a 'dream layout' that isn't too powerful or too weak, talk up ideas like application, 'how groovy t his will be' etc. etc.
    KDF: Not supported by Cryptic, because according to them, we're not 'Real' Star Trek fans.

Well, TRIBBLE them, I'll play KDF anyway.

"We are the Federation. Resistance is futile, we will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own."-Cryptic Studios

Advocacy
    simple logic process:

The body is filled with so much blood...It's always more than you think!! -Dr. Dinosaur

Well, they could always make it a Scout ship if they were THAT worried about it being unbalanced against the Intrepid.

But as @mustrumridcully0 said:

I don't really think that this is a major concern for Cryptic.

What's going to alienate people even more is not having a T6 Nova at all.

3U3C0SJ.jpg

• bobs1111bobs1111 Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    Nova was always one of my favorite ships to fly. The most underrated fed ship in the game. It also was without a doubt the coolest looking fed ship.

The idea of a T6 Nova / T6 Hegh'Ta pack is fantastic.
    I mean I would change some of your stats... but the idea and description is great. Also Cryptic will never ever give us a Zen store ship with 2 different spec boff slots. Pilot or Intel would both be logical but I would expect it would be one of the other...

A Nova with more Uni slots would be wonderful and fit very nicely with the idea of it being in a pack with the games long time #1 bop.
    Something like;
    T6 Nova
    Bridge Officer Seats: Commander Science, Lt.Cmdr uni. Lt.Cmdr Tac|Pilot, Lt.Universal
    T6 Hegh'Ta
    Bridge Officer Seats: Commander Uni, Lt.Cmdr uni. Lt.Cmdr Universal|Pilot, Lt.Universal
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,361 Arc User
    edited September 2018

Better hope Cryptic's not like me. Bug me about something non-stop and you'd never get it! >:)

It was a crappy broken down little ship in one crappy Voyager episode, best if it was forgotten!
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.

Better hope Cryptic's not like me. Bug me about something non-stop and you'd never get it! >:)

It was a crappy broken down little ship in one crappy Voyager episode, best if it was forgotten!

That's one way of looking at it, where the USS Equinox is concerned. Another is that it did VERY well to survive all it went through. Keeping in mind it's a smaller ship than Voyager, she endured:
    - being dragged into the Delta Quadrant in the same manner as Voyager
    - subsequently being repeat-attacked by the Krowtonan Guard
    - whilst admittedly damaged, continued to operate sufficiently to get the crew to the Ankari homeworld
    - being attacked by Voyager

Also proved to be a versatile little ship; lending itself to modifications to it's warp drive.

Furthermore, the class appeared twice more. Firstly in 'Endgame' as the refit USS Rhode Island. A ship that Captain Harry Kim clearly stated had just returned from a four-year exploration mission, and was about to embark on another.
    The USS Rhode Island was a competent ship in combat too, taking on two Negh'Var class Klingon ships.

It's final appearance was extremely brief, but a Rhode Island variant Nova class was present at the battle of Procyon V in 'Azati Prime'.
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

• rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    If they would just fix the model, I would be happy with that alone.
    It looks so awful compared to the other ships.

PLEASE Thomas! Please fix the Nova model!
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,930 Arc User
    Despite having won that poll, the Devs combined the two next highest votes and made a two-pack instead (the very recent Support Cruiser pack). Which worked out VERY well for fans of the Ambassador and Vor’Cha - and I'll concede those are more popular ships. Doesn't change the fact that that poll question was "which SHIP (singular) do you most want to buy/fly".

Hang in there reyan01...

Cryptic finally released the T6 Vor'cha so the T6 Nova can't be that far behind... One way to look at it is that Cryptic is running out of T5 ships to "T6-ized".

Funny thing with the T6 Vor'cha on my end... Even though it has been released (waiting since 2015) I actually did not buy it yet because I have a backlog of ships purchased in 2017 that I have not even used yet.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,240 Arc User
    GIVE ME TIER 6 NOVAAAAA!!!!!!!!!
    :# :# :# :#
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 2,936 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Honestly I'd rather have a T6 Oberth especially if it comes with a Phase Cloak. The Oberth is a unique and interesting design IMO while the Nova just looks like a baby Sovereign. That said, I hope Reyan gets his ship. With his luck though, it will be announced the week that STO shuts down.
    That said, I hope Reyan gets his ship. With his luck though, it will be announced the week that STO shuts down.

Yeah, sounds about right.
    3U3C0SJ.jpg