test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tenebris Torment

echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
Yes, you read right. That's what my best friend dubbed Tenebris Torquent the first time she played it. Since we chat all the time while she plays, I got to hear all her colorful language when she ran into something she didn't like. ;)

When I played it the first time back not long after ViL opened up, I would have dubbed it that myself. I was having trouble with one part, which a very helpful person told me what I needed to know (Thank you very much, helpful person, I can't remember who it was, but I think it was reyan). I finally got him to finish it last night. After having to play it a lot due to respawns/having to start over cause booted, I've managed to be able to get through even the parts I found troublesome So yeah, while it isn't quite the torture it was at first, I still don't particularly like this mission. Only the death of the female Changeling makes it worth playing when I would likely skip it if I were anyone else other than me, who likes to play even missions she doesn't like because she's a completionist.

And having to restart from the Defiant if I was unlucky enough to be d/c during playtime, even if I was near the end, is my biggest gripe of this mission. Case in point, the J-H who had been having said trouble, had made it just past the CS where the female Changeling died. Then I got d/c. I got right back in, but he respawned in the GQ instead and he had to start back over again. Major griping ensued there. Why can't we restart at least close to where we were when we got d/c through no fault of our own?

That said, I'm just glad I don't have to do it but once each toon.

Home, OTOH, was a very enjoyable mission despite the swarms of Hur'q. I'm going to replay it for all the nice-looking goodies that are the mission rewards.

I'm also glad I finally got my J-Hs through it so they don't *need* their K-W anymore and can start on the mission sims.
Now a LTS and loving it.
Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Ugh.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Yeah, my reaction was a bit stronger when I found out I would always have to start over again, no matter what.

And while I no longer stumble about most of the time trying to figure out where to go/what to do, due to the having to start from scratch if I get d/c during the mission makes it not a favorite.

Oh, and my friend? She dislikes any mission where her Away Team is stripped from her and she's forced to go solo.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    IN the other thread someone was complaining about the same mission.... they were talking about mazes. I guess, if you play video games a lot, it is not an issue.

But ever since I got locked up in that "Dust to Dust" Kobali Kim maze mission. Yi, yi, yi...anyone says "maze" I worry.

I was in there for 4-5 hours...just for the maze. There was still the bridge jumping thing to go...but I found out I couldn't see the electric floor on my old computer, until they patched it. So....yea, had to do it over again.

To this day, I am not sure if all my characters have that Kobali BOFF???
    Maybe they do??? I have the Voth one.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    Mine have that BOFF. The maze is nothing, but if you don't jump in time, you will fall during the jumping part while trying to stay ahead of that mutant Hur'q.

I've finally gotten the hang of that, so none of the mission is particularly difficult, just that one gripe if I get d/c and have to start over again from the beginning. I have no idea why the game was coded to put you back at the beginning. Other missions put you close to where you were when you go to continue them after something like that.

It is very annoying to almost be done, only to get d/c and have to start over again. And since the last couple patches, I've been experiencing SNR/d/c more often.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Oh... there is no rally point in the mission. Only the beginning. That is not good.

The only thing I can say is you do have respawn points for if you get KO'd. But get d/c and you have to start over.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    edited September 2018
    Why are you getting disconnected so much?

I am slowly making my way through the Gamma missions.
    I am staring at "Begin: Quark's Lucky Seven" on my screen in dread.
    Have to do it to unlock the Tenebris one.

Are all the "bad guys" in STO's stories ever evil???
    It is like they are all being coerced or ordered into their behavior....but THEY CAN BE REFORMED!!!
    They are acting out because influenced by a lunatic!!! And that lunatic isn't really evil, either. Just Emo.
    Really, just come in here and get a big hug!!!!

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    IN the other thread someone was complaining about the same mission.... they were talking about mazes. I guess, if you play video games a lot, it is not an issue.

But ever since I got locked up in that "Dust to Dust" Kobali Kim maze mission. Yi, yi, yi...anyone says "maze" I worry.

I was in there for 4-5 hours...just for the maze. There was still the bridge jumping thing to go...but I found out I couldn't see the electric floor on my old computer, until they patched it. So....yea, had to do it over again.

I'll give you an easy trick for mazes.. follow the right wall. Just wherever it goes, hug the wall to the right and follow it.

Works every time. When you get to Tenebris Torquent just remember the 3rd objective is above you.. there.. you're done.

I honestly don't get the issue with Tenebris Torquent though, it seems to be a mission people consider difficult and I am not sure why.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    Ok, Sea...we shall see.
    I will find someone without a Kobali BOFF...And go try it in "Dust to Dust". Uh, if it is unlocked.

• nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

I'll give you an easy trick for mazes.. follow the right wall. Just wherever it goes, hug the wall to the right and follow it.

Works every time. When you get to Tenebris Torquent just remember the 3rd objective is above you.. there.. you're done.

I honestly don't get the issue with Tenebris Torquent though, it seems to be a mission people consider difficult and I am not sure why.

me and the jumping/chase part do not get along, it's the reason why I haven't done much in gamma outside my jem'hader character, the "maze" was simple enough. annoying but simple.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
    Took me an hour and a half for the first run.

I kept going the entire time and didn't give up in frustration.
    The puzzle wasn't hard...but....trying to figure out what the hell the Devs want me to SEE??
    What was I missing? How am I supposed to do this? How am I supposed to use that??

I can't say I was "lost in a maze" as much as mostly running back and forth and in circles.

Afraid I am not very good with environmental suits in the anti-gravity mode.
    I just had to remember to slow down.

I had to turn on Lighting 2.0 to do the crevice jumps, there wasn't enough contrast to see the edges with Lighting 1.0. Respawned a lot on that part. LOL!

• salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Some people are just plain bad at anything that's a puzzle or a maze or anything not resembling a straight hallway with no options to turn left or right. I have a friend that says she "can't" play STO because in space she gets completely disoriented in a 3D environment and can't tell what's going on. Even after DAYS of trying to get the hang of it. Therefore, I could see how some people would *hate* that mission.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • reafisreafis Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    I think it took me maybe 15 mins the first time round for the jumpy bit.

I actually replayed dust to dust yesterday and only fell off twice. On the hardest setting.
  • katanahiryukatanahiryu Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    Dark Twist there you're welcome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Is the maze in Dust to Dust really that hard?
    The jumpy bit is a pain but surely the maze is not a 4-5 hour task even for someone new to games?!?
    I mean in any maze, all you need to do is keep following either the right wall or left wall and eventually you’ll ge to the middle or the other side, it’s simple pathing.
    SulMatuul.png
    edited September 2018
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm surprised people still keep making mazes that are vulnerable to that exploit. What's the point of even bothering to still make them if you're not going to patch some over 9000 year old exploit that everyone knows about at this point?

Well, Armada Leader....you will be happy to note: following the right hand wall DOES NOT WORK in the second part of the Tenebris Torquent because it is a traffic circle.

I assume if one were circling the other direction from the direction I was heading, maybe.

@lordsteve1 I never got that advice 2 years ago. When I was stuck in "Dust to Dust".

Though, I did get a nice map drawing....showing the entire maze and locales I need to visit.
    Which did not help me picture things when I was actually IN the maze. LOL!

@reafis The problem with the jumps in "Dust to Dust"...I could not see the electric floor animation on my computer until after the patch that fixed it.

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    This is why we can't have nice things. As soon as the game lets you do any thinking for yourself, someone complains it's "too hard." :disappointed:
    Thanks for the responses guys. As for the third thing that's above you. I just tried each antigravity chute until I found the right one. Which was the third room, where you save your last BOFF and doesn't have one of the other things in it. Now I can just run to it.

So no, none of the mission is now too hard.

To answer where2r1-since the last couple patches, I've started getting SNRs and d/cs. I don't know why. But it's very annoying to get them in the middle of a mission, especially if it's one where I have to begin at the beginning any time it happens, Like Tenebris Torquent.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    edited September 2018
    I pictured a "wind tunnel" ...you know, the vertical ones they use for indoor skydiving? I just tried to stay inside the "tunnel". With a spiral movement.

My notes say "pink"...because that was the color of the one that worked for me. The other two were green and purple. There was accolades for exploring the passages, too. So, do not skip out on the wandering.

As for server not responding and disconnects, you are not the only one complaining. PWE is doing maintenance in September that is supposed to effect Cryptic's games. They don't say what.

Yeah, I've been communicating for awhile with another STO friend through email and he's been getting the same thing too. Rubberbanding, SNR, D/C...

It's very annoying. Tenebris Torquent wouldn't be annoying if we could be put back close to where we were if we get d/c.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
This discussion has been closed.