test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Photon 30k-80k torpedo damage bug

drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
edited September 2018 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
So I was playing the romulan patrol and saw some...interesting mathematics involving buggy Tal shiar and photon(yes, just photon, not plasma) torpedoes.

20180916170916_1.jpg

"But alex, that was a critical hit, it's supposed to hit hard" Oh really? Lets look at another screenshot, of a photon hitting without a critical strike, of my combat logs eh? See how much damage it does.

20180916170849_1.jpg

Thank god the shields absorbed that.

Now many people are telling me that, well this is a bug. I can understand a heavy plasma torpedo causing problems on impact, but a regular, photon, torpedo hitting this hard? This is total breaking willing suspension of disbelief. This is also not on elite, it's not even on advanced difficulty. This was on NORMAL DIFFICULTY.

This is what people are talking about the game being especially unfair is how npc's on NORMAL mode are doing far to much damage. When romulans get to cheat with 30k damage torpedoes, over 80k crit. This seriously needs to be fixed. This I bet is very much driving new players away, they are like "Nope, this game is to hard". I don't blame them. This is a colossal failure. Cryptic for gods sake and for the sake of STO fix this. And if I was you, I would STRONGLY advise going deep in there and seeing what other npc's are achieving such impossibly high damage with torpedoes like this. Especially the normal ones that you cannot shoot down or dodge.

People are telling me this is a clear bug or oversight, for the sake of STO fix this.

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
Post edited by drunkflux#5679 on

Comments

• drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    *Bump* Normally don't like doing this but figure this should still be visible until it's fixed.

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
  • voiddweller#2714 voiddweller Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Yes, NPC have a habit to do crippling damage, especially if you flying a regular tier 3-4 ship with junk equipment, which is most likely if you are new. I had many troubles in the past, when my best ship was a t5 cruiser, and i had to handle several romulan warbirds. Shields breaks too fast, and then some torp always crits for more than your ship can endure...
    So if you do not have any t5u or t6, and still have to fly a t5 on a lvl 50-60 mission, your ship will blow very often.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    It is not a photon or just NPC's bug, but a bug in Kinetic damage which is causing some hits to do triple or quadruple damage without being a critical and when those hits are critical it turns into instant death. It effects both NPC and player damage.

I created some easy to reproduce steps which proved this, but the devs are not responding about what is now a very old bug.

In my testing I managed to 1 shot kill myself with a 258,428 damage none critical hit on a ship as an Engineer that was not buffed into torpedoes. That’s how bad the magnifying Kinetic damage bug is. With some very quick math I would need to be on something like -250 resistance to the final number for the damage to scale that high.

Edit: In my testing it only happened on some maps. ISA or maps with Borg it happen a noticeable amount of times but not every hit. In CE it never happened. What I would do is take a 30k damage Tricobalt mine and drop it next to a cube with me next to the cube. Damage from my own mine would hit me for 100,000+ without a critical. So something is causing both player and NPC Kinect damage to scale up by a large amount at times triple or higher.
  • lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,407 Arc User
    Been noticing this in STF's as well. Im fine then all of the sudden mega crit hits me.
    1e3sni150tar.jpg
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    You mean like when a warp core breach from one those little hurq swarmers hits for 480K plus ? Sorry, no screen shot so someone's gonna pop in and say it didn't happen, but I have noticed the same thing as the OP. Torps or mines that for years my ships have always managed to shrug off are suddenly, and randomly, insta death even with full shields and hull. Warp core breaches from tiny ships that used to barely dim my shields are suddenly like being parked on top of a star that just went supernova.

In the devs defense, it seems to be entirely random, no specific torp or mine type, no specific ship type for warp core breach and that I myself have noticed, no specific map. Totally random events are extremely difficult to track down and fix.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png